• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

People you like in Manga that you didnt like in Anime?

Charmbracelet

Looking In
I'll start:

1. Misty. The Pokemon special Misty is seriously great! one of my favorite characters and definitely my favorite gym leader, although she obviously doesnt appear as much as her anime counterpart, her appearances thus far have been great. Her pokemon team is excellent and shes showcased how strong she is on multiple occasions (Her manga team could easily pwn her anime team) and despite giving her Gyrados and Omanyte away to Red and Yellow, she still has a very powerful Lanturn and Starmie among others. Plus didn't Suicine pick her during the GS/SS arc?

2. Red > Ash. No explanation needed

I want to post more but later LOL gotta go, but would love to read your posts.

Eivana

There Is No NiGHTS!
I agree with GreenDay4ever. I liked basically everybody. They were more adult-like, not as irritating, and they didn't repeat themselves in basically every book. They had better roles and Pokemon and personalities, for one thing. lol

Ludi-Cola

Drink Responsibly
For me, it's gotta be Special's take on Bill. He's v. funny in-game and in the manga, esp w/ his accent and bad timing (captured by Fearow, swept into current, caught btwn Lorelei & Yellow duel, hoodwink by Blue) but he has also managed to be useful there. I also like his interacts w/ Daisy (who never even showed in anime) & Oak. Now the anime only gave one appearance and it was v. early so while he still got laughs in the Lighthouse ep there wasn't much chance to develop him.

And if anyone's curius for a non-Special manga counterpart vs anime, I rly liked Sabrina in Ono's Electric Tale. She was sweet and gentlem the closest to how I originally pictured her. Based on her in-game comment of "I dislike fighting but if you wish I will show you my power" I saw her as more the White Mage than Black Mage type. Everywhere else she seems to be a psychob*tch. lol

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Cyrus in DPA is my favorite incarnation of him. The anime is my least favorite. He was dull in that other than his introductory episode, and his conclusion made no logical sense. But in DPA he's...human, as much as he doesn't want to be.

I liked Ash in Electric Tale. I don't like him on the show (even though Electric Tale is based on the show).

Ludi-Cola

Drink Responsibly
Cyrus has some humanity in Special too, the moment of losing his cool (or v. nearly) when Dia was singing/humming the TV show theme comes to mind. I guess Dia must be incredibly tonedeaf. But I felt DPA had the most range of emotions for Cyrus as no-one push his buttons like Hareta.
I'm not sure which version of Prof Oak I like best. The anime mostly uses him for free poke daycare + the lectures that altho funny 90% of the time I don't always get the joke do to language barrier. In the movies he has shown but whether you consider than anime canon is debated, I found it revelant. He has some impressive battle skills and ppl insight in Special (capitalizing off Blue's phobia in League, trusting Pika and a Dex to Yellow but maybe he shld consider glasses as like most he didn't get she was female <__<). And Ono's manga did a marvelous job casting him as the scientist studying Clefairy and Moon Stone where he seemed more that just a lab-bound geezer. Plus I think there was a sequel of sorts w/ his rivalry of another prof in a Jiggly vs Clefairy book (?) I dunno maybe Oak is just awesome all around, Mrs. Ketchum certainly thinks-- *shot*

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Someone I liked in the manga as opposed to the anime: Gold, who's anime counterpart is Jimmy/Kenta.

I though the manga depicts him as stronger, braver, and cooler than he is in the anime. I know Jimmy only appeared in 3 episodes but I didn't think he had much personality there. Gold seems immature and mischievous, I think that makes him fun. Jimmy was just bland, he was only used to fill space in the Raikou special in my opinion.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
IMO I never compare Red and Ash, I view them as completely different people (and both of which I enjoy equally) Instead of comparing people who are counterparts (like Dia and Lucas, Red and Ash etc.) I'd rather compare the other "counterparts" like with Bill, Misty, Brock etc. For me it'd be Bill. More so because he appeared in the manga more often than just once in the anime. The manga made him funny plus a recurring character, the anime had him be kind of bland...

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
Bill for sure. A lot of the Gym leaders have more personality in the manga than in anime.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Can I make a thread of this but for manga in general?

For me, pretty much everyone!

KKInu

Crystal is DEFINITELY better than Marina, Marina seriously irritated me in the Anime.

other than her though.... while I find many of the manga characters better than their anime counterparts, I didn't actually dislike their anime counterparts.

I give special mention to Sapphire though. While I really was fond of May in the anime, Sapphire totally kicks *** for being such a crazy tomboy, and I find irony in the fact that in the anime she ended up choosing contests over gym battles while Sapphire started out totally hating them.

Part of the thing is characters in Special are more.... fleshed out. The manga actually for the most part is constantly following a plot which allows for character growth.

EVERYONE in the manga is better than the anime, but if I were to choose one character, it'd have to be Platinum. She's much better than Dawn, who is simply girly and bubbly and runs off to sob everytime she loses a contest.

Ivysaurus

ONYXceptable
I've only read Up to Yellow, but Gary/Green, Yeah I like him much better, along with the Protagonist I like Red better than Ash, mainly because he Isn't as Childish, actually took down Team rocket. Also Misty, I don't know why I just like her better in the Manga.

Lord_Storm

Well Red owns Ash, and Blue (Boy) destroys Gary.
The gym leaders are way cooler, and I love how Surge, Sabrina and Koga are all dark, mysterious and a part of Team Rocket.
I also love the whole Elite 4 and evil thing.
I also like how all the characters seem way more grown up, excluding Red in RBG saga, and Gold in GSC, but after that, they all grow up.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Well one of the thing w/ the anime is the fact they focus MORE on the Pokemon than the humans...so for that I give them credit (not saying that Special doesn't, I'm just saying in the anime it seems as though the Pokemon are the ones getting a lot of development so...) I still love the anime, I grew up with it! ^^

Healing-D-Vision

The Road of Life
I liked Ash in Electric Tale. I don't like him on the show (even though Electric Tale is based on the show).

This...

While I'm at it.

Manga Blaine is superior
Sapphire is superior
Manga Norman is superior
Archie and Maxie are superior(In fact, the entire Kyogre/Groudan incident was better)

so on, and so forth, I'm sure I can name more

asperger1981

good reader
1. Misty. The Pokemon special Misty is seriously great! one of my favorite characters and definitely my favorite gym leader, although she obviously doesnt appear as much as her anime counterpart, her appearances thus far have been great. Her pokemon team is excellent and shes showcased how strong she is on multiple occasions (Her manga team could easily pwn her anime team) and despite giving her Gyrados and Omanyte away to Red and Yellow, she still has a very powerful Lanturn and Starmie among others. Plus didn't Suicine pick her during the GS/SS arc?

I couldn't agree more with that.
The anime writers made a serious mess with their version of the character (well, at least since they gave her togepi) while the manga made a much better work with both. (totaro anyone)