• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Performing a Pathway to the Future! (916)

So this episode shows that Serena will be booted out of the anime after XYZ ends. As for Serena's last performance, I am really disappointed that they didn't keep her Japanese theme. It matched the performance so much better. I just really wish they would stop messing with the music and use the original.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Serena literally singing her theme song was a lovely touch and it's such a shame that she lost due to not being popular or well-known

Granted, it'd be kinda surreal if she'd won on her first attempt, but at least there was rhyme and reason for her loss

Leonhart

Imagineer
Twilight-Kun said:
Granted, it'd be kinda surreal if she'd won on her first attempt, but at least there was rhyme and reason for her loss

If she had won, I would've been satisfied since TryPokaron competitions didn't seem like the kind of activity that required years of training to perfect, so I thought that Serena could've won simply by putting on the best performance at Master Class. Sadly, Elle happened to be better recognized by the crowd.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
If she had won, I would've been satisfied since TryPokaron competitions didn't seem like the kind of activity that required years of training to perfect, so I thought that Serena could've won simply by putting on the best performance at Master Class. Sadly, Elle happened to be better recognized by the crowd.
I still find it hilarious that she's called Elle, seeing as in french it literally just means "She"

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
This has nothing to do with Japan VS America. Creators "make it a huge deal" both places, that's how royalties work in the first place.
Part of the reason the English dub replaces so much music is so THEY now own the music in the show that other non-Asian dubbers have to license through them, which means that when, say, Germany dubs and airs an episode, most of the royalty fees for the music in that episode go to the American dub music creators (TPCi) rather than the creators of the original music that got replaced.
*PART* of the reason. Not 100% the reason. Dub music haters like to spin some demented narrative that basically implies TPCi are thieves stealing Miyazaki's money.
Regardless of why it happens, it's good it does, especially in sagas with music as horrible as the XY and SM sagas' JP soundtracks. Thankfully Hayashi's succession of Miyazaki is making the latter's music nothing more than bad memories.

I still find it hilarious that she's called Elle, seeing as in french it literally just means "She"
That is an actual female name in many Western countries. Same with Aria.

Kabuto

little punks!
Watching this for the first time, I'm glad Serena lost to Aria. Aria is just much more experienced, and looks like royalty. And Serena has a lot she still needs to learn.

I DO however wish we got to see more of Aria's performance. They should've shown us, and not just told us, that Aria was super experienced at her craft.

I also don't like the suggestion that it was popularity that pushed Aria over the edge. But I do think Aria is just the much more experienced performer. And even Serena acknowledges that Aria has skills she has yet to learn.

Overall, I loved watching Serena's arc during XY/Z, and I see why so many fans consider her to be Ash's best female traveling companion. Her arc was similar to May's and Dawn's, but there's something charming about Serena's sweet, kind, and caring personality.

Morax

King of heroes
Watching this for the first time, I'm glad Serena lost to Aria. Aria is just much more experienced, and looks like royalty. And Serena has a lot she still needs to learn.

I DO however wish we got to see more of Aria's performance. They should've shown us, and not just told us, that Aria was super experienced at her craft.

I also don't like the suggestion that it was popularity that pushed Aria over the edge. But I do think Aria is just the much more experienced performer. And even Serena acknowledges that Aria has skills she has yet to learn.

Overall, I loved watching Serena's arc during XY/Z, and I see why so many fans consider her to be Ash's best female traveling companion. Her arc was similar to May's and Dawn's, but there's something charming about Serena's sweet, kind, and caring personality.
It's rare to find such based opinions on serebii You, sir, are rarer than diamond.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Aria's performance was so ******* that it was incredibly underwhelming animation-wise for a competition that has to rely heavily on animation performance. The moment she steps out, the whole public just stands up.

Yeah, that moment marked everything. There was no way Serena would win against Aria's established fanbase.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I think the suggestion is coming from the fact that unlike Aria we actually see Drew, Solidad and Zoey being better than May and Dawn. Since the competition is not only based on professional judges but battles that could lead to a straight up knock out.

We’re constantly told Aria is more superior than Serena but never showed anything. And granted I’m not a whiner about “my offscreen!” but this actually had impact in Serena’s overall goal conclusion and we aren’t given any reason to assume Aria was straight up better.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I wish Serena actually lost in a proper way here
Its funny how both her ascension to the immediate finals and then her loss in said finals are equally unbelievable lol, wish they bothered to animate Aria better

You guys think Serena would ever want to come back to showcases and become Kalos Queen, or is she content doing contests in Master class in hoenn and improving her skills as a performer there?

conshowstar

I don’t get it. I really don’t get it. How could this episode be so bad? Let’s start off with the semi-finals. They weren’t good. Serena, Shauna, and though i hate to say it, even Jessie’s performances weren’t exactly the most visually pleasing. Then we got Serena injuring her wrist, which I think is pretty dumb considering it didn’t mean anything in the end and was pointless.

Now the finals, oh the finals. Garbage. It’s garbage because Serena’s performance was Meh, but Aria's performance was worse. I thought most part of Aria performance didn't shown or skip because focused more shown on others reaction. However, Aria still won. What’s worse isn’t that Serena barely lost, it’s the fact that she actually lost buy a lot.

The rest of the episode isn’t anything to write home about either. Serena just gets an offer to get taught by Palermo, but declines. That’s about it. If there’s anything I liked about this episode, it was the talk Serena had with Ash before giving Palermo her answer. That’s it. *sigh* look I wanted this arc to be good, or good enough, but it just wasn’t. Well it’s over. That’s just Awful.

Rating:1.5/10(Awful)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I mean, if the fact that Serena's losses were all attributed to her Pokemon tripping once that it was less about her skill but more about if clothing malfunction or the like were the biggest detriments didn't tip you off from the beginning...

And if you have skill, lord help you if you can actually win against the power of a loyal fanbase that spawns the entire region.