• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Performing a Pathway to the Future! (916)

Pokegirl0102

Aria's performance was very meh to me, Serena's was much better and deserved to win but like Ash, Serena is no match for the writers which is why i hope she returns to go to Alola. Does anyone know the BGM playing during Serena final performance it was awesome.

YourLieinEevee

I feel like there was a small bit cut when Serena hurts her wrist, but I may be wrong. Either way we knew she injured it. Jessie should have won. Aria had a fantastic performance. Serena screaming at Miette... Made me laugh.

Lol that last scene with Team Rocket was adorable.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I feel like there was a small bit cut when Serena hurts her wrist, but I may be wrong. Either way we knew she injured it. Jessie should have won. Aria had a fantastic performance. Serena screaming at Miette... Made me laugh.

Lol that last scene with Team Rocket was adorable.

Eh Serena's performances were better than Jessie's plus her ego is way too big for her to win the Master Class and it would have been extremely annoying if she would have won imo.

YourLieinEevee

Hey, I'm allowed to dream, right? Of course Jessie was never going to win, same with Contests, but it was fun to watch her develop. Instead of tossing off her dress, she ended her Performance run with class and a free meal... Possibly some bruises.

I bet Serena calls Palermo, at the end of XYZ. She's made all these friends/rivals who have pledged to keep going, I see her joining them.

Epicocity

Aria's performance was very meh to me, Serena's was much better and deserved to win but like Ash, Serena is no match for the writers which is why i hope she returns to go to Alola. Does anyone know the BGM playing during Serena final performance it was awesome.

What did the BGM sound like? I haven't had the chance to see the dub yet, but I'm wondering if it was DoriDori or if the dub butchered the final sequence...

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
...That was Palermo's advice? Try to appeal to strangers? What the hell? These girls have been doing this since the beginning with their performances! Aria's incredibly lame performance was only salvaged by her legion of fans overpowering Serena's lack of one. She would only need to lift a finger and everyone would worship the air she sliced with it. We don't even know for sure if people at home voted for Serena on top of that.

Ugh. At least this dead horse can be put to rest forever. This is perhaps the worst goal for a heroine in the anime. I'd say Iris had a more compelling goal...but just for a bit.

Though, the only good thing was how Jessie reacted. If she ever gets into another goal, I hope she keeps being a graceful loser.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
What did the BGM sound like? I haven't had the chance to see the dub yet, but I'm wondering if it was DoriDori or if the dub butchered the final sequence...

It was definitely not DoriDori, it was some random techno track.

Epicocity

It was definitely not DoriDori, it was some random techno track.

Of course it was. Because we can never have nice things in the dub besides the dialogue...Well, maybe it'll at least sound passable when I watch it. Thanks for that info.

Soniman

Break the Limit
...That was Palermo's advice? Try to appeal to strangers? What the hell? These girls have been doing this since the beginning with their performances! Aria's incredibly lame performance was only salvaged by her legion of fans overpowering Serena's lack of one. She would only need to lift a finger and everyone would worship the air she sliced with it. We don't even know for sure if people at home voted for Serena on top of that.

Ugh. At least this dead horse can be put to rest forever. This is perhaps the worst goal for a heroine in the anime. I'd say Iris had a more compelling goal...but just for a bit.

Though, the only good thing was how Jessie reacted. If she ever gets into another goal, I hope she keeps being a graceful loser.

Other then the fact that the stranger message wasn't in the sub I don't think, the whole point of what Pslmero was trying to say was make performances for other and not just yourself (which is what Serena had been doing) it's not really bad advice if you're looking to win something like this.

Im also not sure what you mean by the people at home either. I think it's assumed that they were all voting for Serena, why bother showing them if they weren't lol

I won't deny that the goal isn't very good, but from the perspective of of only watching them for Serena and her growth, I was more invested in her journey than I was with Iris (who did have a better goal but it was messily handled)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Other then the fact that the stranger message wasn't in the sub I don't think, the whole point of what Pslmero was trying to say was make performances for other and not just yourself (which is what Serena had been doing) it's not really bad advice if you're looking to win something like this.

In other words...

"Catch other Pokemon, Serena. Using the same 3 gets stale after a while."

Janovy

Banned
Serena had a good goal as a concept, the idea of becoming Kalos Queen was unique IMO - it were the tournaments there were crappily handled.

The Master Class was horribly handled and left a bad taste in my mouth (way to make the CLIMAX feel like just another subpar Showcase). In the end, the tournaments were more of a vehicle to drive Serena's character development rather than an actual, well-developed competitions which IS a shame.

The lack of threatening rivals for Serena were also a HUGE downside. Basically, the only person better than her was Kalos Queen herself which is ridiculous.

DatsRight

Aghhh, they didn't even use the Rocket-dan Danka instrumental for Jessie's performance. The dub already used it in other episodes, what was the problem?

Seriously all of the dub music changes are just bland noise. I think they only punctuate viewers' belief the performances are dull because they don't sync properly with them or add suspense.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Serena had a good goal as a concept, the idea of becoming Kalos Queen was unique IMO - it were the tournaments there were crappily handled.

The Master Class was horribly handled and left a bad taste in my mouth (way to make the CLIMAX feel like just another subpar Showcase). In the end, the tournaments were more of a vehicle to drive Serena's character development rather than an actual, well-developed competitions which IS a shame.

The lack of threatening rivals for Serena were also a HUGE downside. Basically, the only person better than her was Kalos Queen herself which is ridiculous.

I agree about the rivals. I definitely feel like they could have been more competent and antagonistic instead of being friendly and happy go lucky all the time

Soniman

Break the Limit

I really disagree, I thought the Master Class was by far the best showcase related episode for several reasons. It's not saying much but for a finale they did all they reasonably could to make it feel like such (get rid of theme rounds, have all the rivals and have them compete directly, have Serena face the Queen herself etc) don't see how it was that horrible compared to how these things usually are.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
don't see how it was that horrible compared to how these things usually are.
It was average, it was dull, it was pretty much like any other Showcase.

And let's not even mention the fact they completely brushed aside the performance of the actual Kalos Queen. For a person who was hyped up to be so talented and amazing we got practically nothing of Elle's performance even though the supposed climax was between her and Serena.

But nope, Elle won over Serena because...well, she's better. They didn't bother to actually depict her skills on-screen, but I guess I'm just supposed to go along with the 'she makes the audience smile' crap with no visual proof whatsoever. It felt like an incredibly cheap way of having Serena lose. If you're gonna make her lose, at least showcase what Elle's strengths are and give us this mindblowing performance that earns her the title of Kalos Queen. One of the biggest reasons I looked forward to this tournament was Serena vs Elle and instead I got a huge Serena performance and brief glimpses of Elle's performance which is...somehow better...apparently.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Serena's English voice actor nailed it with the "Miette!!" at the end of the episode. It caught me off guard I had to laugh.

Soniman

Break the Limit
It was average, it was dull, it was pretty much like any other Showcase.
I mean I already explained specifically how they're not but whatever

And let's not even mention the fact they completely brushed aside the performance of the actual Kalos Queen. For a person who was hyped up to be so talented and amazing we got practically nothing of Elle's performance even though the supposed climax was between her and Serena.
It was crap yes, didn't say it was perfect

But nope, Elle won over Serena because...well, she's better. They didn't bother to actually depict her skills on-screen, but I guess I'm just supposed to go along with the 'she makes the audience smile' crap with no visual proof whatsoever. It felt like an incredibly cheap way of having Serena lose. If you're gonna make her lose, at least showcase what Elle's strengths are and give us this mindblowing performance that earns her the title of Kalos Queen. One of the biggest reasons I looked forward to this tournament was Serena vs Elle and instead I got a huge Serena performance and brief glimpses of Elle's performance which is...somehow better...apparently.[/QUOTE]

Again I'm not saying it wasn't bad, I just didn't consider it that big of a problem considering the focus is on Serena's growth abd direct confrontation is impossible anyway

Janovy

Banned
Again I'm not saying it wasn't bad, I just didn't consider it that big of a problem considering the focus is on Serena's growth abd direct confrontation is impossible anyway
I never asked for a direct confrontation, I just wanted them to SHOW Elle's skills to me so I could actually buy Elle being Kalos Queen. From what we were shown, Serena had a better performance than Elle, which means she deserved to win. But since she didn't win that begs the question - was the audience biased? If so, that opens yet another can of worms in regards to this competition.

Anyway, yeah, the focus was on Serena's growth and I think that is why most of the other aspects suffered. The writers were so focused on making Serena come out of it as a better person that they pretty much neglected the rivals and the actual structure of the competition.

They practically skipped Jessie getting her keys to participate in the finals. No cheating implying, no off-screen, no dialogue hints, nothing. Just SKIP. Pathetic.

Epicocity

I never asked for a direct confrontation, I just wanted them to SHOW Elle's skills to me so I could actually buy Elle being Kalos Queen. From what we were shown, Serena had a better performance than Elle, which means she deserved to win. But since she didn't win that begs the question - was the audience biased? If so, that opens yet another can of worms in regards to this competition.

Anyway, yeah, the focus was on Serena's growth and I think that is why most of the other aspects suffered. The writers were so focused on making Serena come out of it as a better person that they pretty much neglected the rivals and the actual structure of the competition.

They practically skipped Jessie getting her keys to participate in the finals. No cheating implying, no off-screen, no dialogue hints, nothing. Just SKIP. Pathetic.

It's actually pretty much implied that there was bias involved. That's the major flaw inherent in Showcases. The moment Aria took the stage, almost the whole entire crowd there stood up to cheer for her. Serena never stood a chance no matter how much of a brilliant performance she put on. Aria could have literally sat there and read a story and won. This is why the Dendemille Showcase was the best one: it had actual judges for the first round. Of course, Showcases were only ever a vehicle for Serena's growth, which is what made them vastly different from Contests where pretty much all of the main cast could participate in if they wanted to. Only Serena could do this.

That said, the worst thing is the dub's sense of mediocrity. At the very least, the subs made it feel like a genuine conclusion to character development, but I felt so underwhelmed in the dub...And I usually champion dubs, so...Only the voice acting and dialogue was on-point.