• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Performing with Fiery Charm! (883)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
The "mass" in Showcases are hive-minded and easily enthralled by pretty colors, so I don't take them seriously. As I said, at least real judges would know what they're talking about. I see no reason why they'd be biased: Contest judges certainly weren't.

I guess showcase judges would be cool but it looks like the audience has more say and will determine who wins no matter what.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I guess showcase judges would be cool but it looks like the audience has more say and will determine who wins no matter what.

A shame since I liked the PokePuff judge chick. Meanwhile we're stuck with audience votes a la American Idol for the rest of the Showcase.

Little Hero

A shame since I liked the PokePuff judge chick. Meanwhile we're stuck with audience votes a la American Idol for the rest of the Showcase.

Well, there's nothing that says they won't go with the judge thing for at least one part of the Showcase...in fact I expect a judge system in the finals...after all even if the masses are 'the hive mind' mentality as you said in a previous post (which is sadly sometimes true) can't decide all.

At the end, its what they all enjoy...not professionals telling them what they should enjoy.

calvinhobbesliker

The fact that they have mediocre taste is what irks me though. I mean I'm glad that Serena won, but I felt that her performance wasn't the best one.

Just because you didn't think it was the best doesn't mean it's a fact...I thought it was the best performance.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
It was the best from what we saw, probably because it so closely resembled Contest appeals. Miette's and Jessie's performances were bizarre and not that flashy.

LizardonX

Banned
You'd think with 2 region's worth of contest experience jessie would at least be somewhat competent at this.

apparently not.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Well, there's nothing that says they won't go with the judge thing for at least one part of the Showcase...in fact I expect a judge system in the finals...after all even if the masses are 'the hive mind' mentality as you said in a previous post (which is sadly sometimes true) can't decide all.

There might be judges in Master Class sure, but it still feels like the lower-class Showcases deserve a better voting system than just using popularity as the deciding factor.

pokemon fan 132

So i watched this episode in hopes of Serena finally finding her right tune starting to manage herseklf in wirld of pokemon performers. And in that aspect this episode didn't disappoint enjoying in coreoghraphy she came up with dancing and doing various acts with her pokemon Because Braixen spinning flames in combination with Pancham stone edge looked fairly impressive.

However whole drama over Serena dress being abit damaged or all those flashbacks of her former self and past adventures she went through starting to emerge on surface was pointless and tried too hard to invoke emotion and simpathy for character. Making contra effect at least for me, because such tension and recollection of all past mistakes showing Serena character feeling anxious would achieve much greater impact and significance if it happened when she is about to enter Master class and of she has what it takes to go all way through.

I also felt how Serena won too easy and with too much dominance her first pokemon showcase, especially after fairly embarassing lose first time around leaving everyone else in dust. Including poor Jessie who no matter how much she tries to be creative, audience cannot appreciate her originality .

In other news inclusion of Miette was definitely plus missing her stubborn, snarky character. At very least constant teasing of Serena regarding her crush on Ash added more life and tension to character interaction of overall too sappy and positive tone Xy saga is known for, But even so Miette seem to be on much more friendlier terms with Serena than before which is shame, because i hoped for some friction and intolerance coming from this rivalry(especially regarding cooking which began adversary in first place). Seeing Miette and Serena working on becoming more comfortable with each other giving some leeway to showcase their relationship grow.

Because if there is something which XY series desperately lacks imo is some clash or sense of urgency making pokeworld feel more realistic shaking things up.Hopefully Alain and inclusion of Team Flare might rectify this problem when main cast fails at that.

I guess unconditional support and encouragement Ash, Bonnie and Clemont showed for Serena when being about to enter stage in attempts of winning first princess key was heartwarming as well. Showing shes not alone in this.

But for pokemon performance itself aside from few selected visual effects pokemon created with their attacks im still skeptic on this. Because baking, making pastries, dressing up in sparkly clothes with your pokemon and walking on stage like some supermodel is well sorry to say but not particulary exciting thing to me(i enjoyed more in contests or type master careers due to being more about battling and clear cut action personally).

Not to mention whole stereotyped and shallow agenda pokemon perfpormance carry behind themselves. Because i never felt comfortable with idea of this being goal exclusively created just for girls or being heavily centralized around themes such as glamour, fashion, baking, cooking, trimming yourelf and coming up with all kind of pretty outfits to showcase girls in best possible light.

With no battling, any kind of conflict and action being involved. Limiting ways in which even rivalries can be exploited since girls never face directly each other.
Add to that Serena being still too much defined by her feelings toward Ash with every aspect of her life, including goals being heavily tied into it.

And all of this combined seem like step backwards in how are pokemon females handled leaving sour taste in my mouth.
My opinion only.

In end episode was average not being great, but not all that great either and hopefully existence of retired star Yashio and more challenging steps suih as master class would deliver more substance/diversity in whole pokemon showcase thing.

Soniman

Break the Limit
With no battling, any kind of conflict and action being involved. Limiting ways in which even rivalries can be exploited since girls never face directly each other.
Add to that Serena being still too much defined by her feelings toward Ash with every aspect of her life, including goals being heavily tied into it.

Please tell me where you got this idae from? At no point did Serena's showcase goal ever relate to her feelings for Ash, not when she practiced with Nene, not when she lost in XY60, not when she blew up at Pancham and Fennekin, and not in this episode when it mattered, it was sprinkled around sure, but other then her interactions with Miette it largley plays very little part in her ACTUAL goal, so it's not really "heavily tied to it" at all really.

Little Hero

There might be judges in Master Class sure, but it still feels like the lower-class Showcases deserve a better voting system than just using popularity as the deciding factor.

Oh, I expect judges alright. After all, we know Yashio (or whatever her name is...I forget) was a judge from what I can remember.

As for the whole voting system and popularity factor, look at it like this: the crowd may not be professionals, but you don't need any credentials to like or enjoy something.

Should Serena have won by a rather large margin? Maybe, maybe not. But its obvious that her performance was better than the rest...according to the crowd. (Popularity at this point is kinda hard to see...seeing as Ash was the one in TV, I'm surprise more people don't know him...but you get the point.)

Besides, professionals or not, judges are still human...and being professionals doesn't save them from picking favorites but they do show restrain...it will be rather interesting if they did not.

I will have to disagree with you there...conflict is not centered solely on battling.

And have you seen how the whole showcase business is done in some movies? A conflict will come when we least expect it; people will play dirty and then we'll see what happens. Conflict doesn't need to be tied to a versus screen every two minutes. At least with showcases the trainer is with their Pokemon, not beside them and allows them to think of even much more imaginative than usual.

But whatever floats your boat I guess.

And about the whole 'her feelings for Ash' define her thing...well...she blushed a lot that's true...but it was all about her and her Pokemon...Ash was just the dessert.

Last edited:

pokemon fan 132

Please tell me where you got this idae from? At no point did Serena's showcase goal ever relate to her feelings for Ash, not when she practiced with Nene, not when she lost in XY60, not when she blew up at Pancham and Fennekin, and not in this episode when it mattered, it was sprinkled around sure, but other then her interactions with Miette it largley plays very little part in her ACTUAL goal, so it's not really "heavily tied to it" at all really.

Its pretty obvious that Serena character is on large part defined by her crush toward Ash. Admiring him greatly, looking for his approval regarding things she does as baking macarrons or various sweets, filming her first pokevision video etc showed. Being first one to see it or taste them caring much more about his oppinion than Clemont or Bonnie.

Unquestionably thrusting his judgment, being very shy and reclusive around him with quite a few characters like Miette or recently Bonnie figuring out.

And this influenced Serena pursue of dreams as well, at very least partially. Holding dearly to her heart words Ash said to her in Summer camp when he twisted ancle about taking time to discover what she wants to do in life and how she will find her own path being amazing in her eyes,.

Using blue ribbon she received as gift from Ash after winning it as prize on monorail as part of her new outfit and motives behind winning her first pokemon performance on one part possibly being influenced by her cush toward Ash. Since whenever he compliments her dress or performance(as he did in this episode) shes clearly enthusiastic and blushes heavily being glad when shes able to leave impression on him.

Feeling how Serena as character while undeniably making improvement ever since Summer camp ended becoming more confident and resolved. Still is perhaps too connected and influenced by her feelings toward Ash, wishing to gain more of identity in her own right differentiating personal feelings from her other ambitions.

At least thats what i would like to see.

I will have to disagree with you there...conflict is not centered solely on battling.

And have you seen how the whole showcase business is done in some movies? A conflict will come when we least expect it; people will play dirty and then we'll see what happens. Conflict doesn't need to be tied to a versus screen every two minutes. At least with showcases the trainer is with their Pokemon, not beside them and allows them to think of even much more imaginative than usual.

But whatever floats your boat I guess.

And about the whole 'her feelings for Ash' define her thing...well...she blushed a lot that's true...but it was all about her and her Pokemon...Ash was just the dessert.

No one ever said how there needs to be battling to have somesort of confllict or suspense. But there is little to none conflict period not just regarding Serena goal, but XY series in general as whole. There is no real friction or competition between Serena and her rivals. No arrogance, sarcasm , sly tricks as we get to see delivered from others in past such as Harley or Ursula for example. To increase on comedy or tension.

Whole tone of Serena career , group dynamics and surrounding of Kalos is too lighthearted, positive, happy go lucky contributing to overall one dimensional and tasteless characterization or atmosphere in my opinion.

Call me traditional type of person. But some sort of clash, misunderstanding, fiery spark developed between Serena and others or direct measure up of creativity and skill between Serena and others would be something i would like to see adding to character development and how road to reach final destination was anything but easy. And seeing pokemon used in future(like Master Class)for something more than just wearing pretty clothes on stage or helping with baking (more concrete action)wouldn't hurt either.

Increasing on appeal of her story for me personally.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

Its pretty obvious that Serena character is on large part defined by her crush toward Ash. Admiring him greatly, looking for his approval regarding things she does as baking macarrons or various sweets, filming her first pokevision video etc showed. Being first one to see it or taste them caring much more about his oppinion than Clemont or Bonnie.

Unquestionably thrusting his judgment, being very shy and reclusive around him with quite a few characters like Miette or recently Bonnie figuring out.

And this influenced Serena pursue of dreams as well, at very least partially. Holding dearly to her heart words Ash said to her in Summer camp when he twisted ancle about taking time to discover what she wants to do in life and how she will find her own path being amazing in her eyes,.

Using blue ribbon she received as gift from Ash after winning it as prize on monorail as part of her new outfit and motives behind winning her first pokemon performance on one part possibly being influenced by her cush toward Ash. Since whenever he compliments her dress or performance(as he did in this episode) shes clearly enthusiastic and blushes heavily being glad when shes able to leave impression on him.

Feeling how Serena as character while undeniably making improvement ever since Summer camp ended becoming more confident and resolved. Still is perhaps too connected and influenced by her feelings toward Ash, wishing to gain more of identity in her own right differentiating personal feelings from her other ambitions.

At least thats what i would like to see.

No one ever said how there needs to be battling to have somesort of confllict or suspense. But there is little to none conflict period not just regarding Serena goal, but XY series in general as whole. There is no real friction or competition between Serena and her rivals. No arrogance, sarcasm , sly tricks as we get to see delivered from others in past such as Harley or Ursula for example. To increase on comedy or tension.

Whole tone of Serena career , group dynamics and surrounding of Kalos is too lighthearted, positive, happy go lucky contributing to overall one dimensional and tasteless characterization or atmosphere in my opinion.

Call me traditional type of person. But some sort of clash, misunderstanding, fiery spark developed between Serena and others or direct measure up of creativity and skill between Serena and others would be something i would like to see adding to character development and how road to reach final destination was anything but easy. And seeing pokemon used in future(like Master Class)for something more than just wearing pretty clothes on stage or helping with baking (more concrete action)wouldn't hurt either.

Increasing on appeal of her story for me personally.
Now you are just assuming she entered the Showcases looking only for Ash's approval, this is not canon at all. The only person who can say why she loves those activities is Serena herself and she never stated why she loves filming pokevision videos, grooming, cooking and performing.
But if we are talking about headcanons, then I doubt she does all of those things just for Ash's approval. If all she wanted was Ash's approval, then she would be a trainer, because we all know how much Ash likes battles (just look at his face when Serena is battling Elle).

The only thing you listed above that might actually hold Ash's interest is cooking and yes she cooked for him once, just like Clemont, Brock, Tracey and Cilan did. That's a pretty common thing for Ash's companions, it doesn't actually means anything.

@Being shy near Ash: Well, she is a shy person and she does like Ash, why is that wrong? How is that related to Serena's career?
@Using the ribbon: This also has nothing to do with her career, but still, wouldn't you try using the gift you received instead of throwing it in the thrash? Isn't that a normal thing to do even if you do not have a crush for that person?

Whole tone of Serena career , group dynamics and surrounding of Kalos is too lighthearted
what
She was humiliated in front of a crowd on her first performance. She cried like a little baby because she couldn't even show to people the free performance that she prepared just because of a silly mistake. She screamed with her pokemons because she wasn't able to keep calm while training for the free perfomance. She had a lot of trouble trying to convince her mother that she was serious about the whole perfomance thing and that she wasn't a defeatist person anymore. She was completely lost in life trying to find her goal. I can't see how all of those things are too lighthearted for the Pokemon series.

If you are going to complain about someone's plot being too lighthearted, then complain about Bonnie or Clemont.

No arrogance, sarcasm , sly tricks as we get to see delivered from others in past such as Harley or Ursula for example. To increase on comedy or tension.
Sly tricks? Oh you mean exactly what Jessie did in this episode. Also Miette took care of the comedy pretty well.

Last edited:

pokemon fan 132

Now you are just assuming she entered the Showcases looking for Ash's approval, this is not canon at all. The only person who can say why she likes those Showcase's activities is Serena herself and she never states why she likes filming pokevision videos, grooming, cooking and performing.
But if we are talking about headcanons, then I doubt she does all of those things just for Ash's approval. If all she wanted was Ash's approval, then she would be a trainer, because we all know how much Ash likes battles (just look at his face when Serena is battling Elle).

Yes she cooked for him once, just like Clemont, Brock, Tracey and Cilan did. That's a pretty common thing for Ash's companion, it doesn't actually means anything.

Being shy near Ash or using the ribbon that she received as a gift has nothing to do with Serena's goal, it has something to do with Serena's crush. Let's not mix those things up, after all a girl can have a goal AND a crush.

Admittedly motives behind entering Tripokalon(pokemon performance in Dendemille Town)may had been assumption.

But other situations didn't seemed that way. Ash was main reason and inspiration behind Serena going on voyage in first place. Sure some may try to pin it on Serena being fed up with life of Ryhorn racer trying to escape from that, but it was image of Ash she saw on TV and her feelings which ignited her in traveling wanting to see him again.

Baking macarons first time on screen was initially made for Ash as sign of Serena afection and admiration even stating they are gift for him.

Making pokevision video was likely influenced by her jealousy toward way Ash reacted to Elle giving positive review. Giving out impression how she tried herself in shooting mainly because of being driven by desire to get noticed by Ash. I believe my line of thinking is somewhat justified by finding Ash commendation of doing good job in video recording highly important starting to blush at end of episode.

Whenever Ash complimented her outfit or new strategy she came up with fior pokemon performnance being embarassed, shy and reclusive. With Ash opinion and approval evidently leaving big effect on her finding it more importnt than other people opoinions.
Signs such as using his gift as part of hr new outfit, growing with eacxh day more in her eyes considering him amazing never really opposing his advice or viewsonly add more and more to my belief.

How while i have no doubts that while main reason why Serena became pokemon performer is likely due to viewing this activity as something which truly makes her happy. Gives her way to express her talents and affinities in most optimal manner going with themes she has deep love for. Such as fashion, pretty dresses, baking, trimming, designing outfits etc.

I cannot shake of impression how small part of reason behind being performer also lies in trying that way through success to have Ash notice her and receive recognition.

With most episodes focusing on her mandatory containing clear signs of her crush, other characters teasing her about it thus making large part of her character consumed by romantic feelings.

Which isn't necessarily bad thing if its done in reasonable doses with there being drawed line between such thing serving as additional vector in enriching on character dynamic weaved with more humor and suspense. With writers doing farly good job regarding Misty or May romance subplots coming of as more independent.

Or making character your writing for too much defined by it to the point of overshadowing all of its other traits finding there exists room for improvenent in handling both crush, dreams and Serena story better than its case right now,

what
She was humiliated in front of a crowd in her first performance. She cried like a little baby. She screamed with her pokemons because she wasn't able to keep calm while training for the free perfomance. She had a lot of trouble trying to convince her mother that she was serious about the whole perfomance thing and that she wasn't a defeatist person anymore. She was completely lost in life trying to find her goal.

If you are going to complain about someone's plot being too lighthearted, then complain about Bonnie or Clemont.

I was talking about whole concept of pokemon performance, not Serena character herself necessarily.
Few far and in between scenes of small drama don't change fact of everything from character dynamic, rivalries, journey and plots being sappy, cheerful and too much hapy go lucky for my taste.

To the point that there never exists any misunderstanding, clash and very little or none darcasm, teasing between companions. Always being peaceful and positive making friendship unrealistic for me.

Rivals themselves not representing much of challenge or tension with likes of Scottie,Shauna, Tierno, even Miette based on last episode being friendly and considerate. Not delivering much of test or motivation for Ash and co to improve or build up on clash due to their abilities and competence never being questioined.

Villains are currently nonexistant and entire tone of this series is in shortage of any drama, clash or something to shake things up and prevent monotony.

This might change, but for most part thats current vibe im getting from this saga so far.

Last edited:

Mau-Kun

The poké-puff round was exactly like watching MasterChef, except that if you're in a live audience you'll see the whole hour of preparing, pagking and plating, which would be a bad idea for a live event.

Serena definitely deserved to win, she did the most extreme and creative performance, and just as I expected before Jessie tried and will continue trying to cheat and sabotage in showcases.

Rapiido

Can we just take a moment and check out the level of detail on the building this Showcase took place in?
XY's animation capabilities are ridiculously movie-leveled.

redsheep

I understand the complaints about the cooking round to be too long but I thought it was necessary tension building.

Serena has never passed the first round, so rushing it would downplay that achievement. Even Ash, Clemont, and Bonnie were very nervous. Everyone became more relaxed when they started the free performance round.

Oh yeah and #Bonnieknows

ScraftyIsTheBest

No need to worry!
I feel like everything that is usually said regarding Serena's crush on Ash is for the most part a large exaggeration. While it's true that she has a tendency to blush when it comes down to it due to her feelings for Ash, I always felt that her crush on Ash was for the most part relatively minor throughout the saga and only showed up for somewhat extra value. It only showed up majorly in the episode where Ash and Serena's backstory is revealed, and in Serena's interactions with Miette, at least as far as I know. She decided to become a Performer because it's what she finds to be fun. That Pokevision was not made to impress Ash nor for jealousy. Serena stated there that she actually always wanted to make a PokeVision video someday in that episode. The crush stuff has nothing to do with Serena's goal or ambitions. Ash told her to be able to one day find her own goal and what makes her happy, and Serena traveled with them to do just that. Also remember that Ash asked her to come along with the crew, which is why she's traveling with them at all. Otherwise she wouldn't have joined them and just left, happy that she managed to see Ash again at all. She didn't join them on a journey just to see Ash and stuff, yeah she left home to see him but...Ash asked her to come along, and otherwise Serena wouldn't be here. No, she doesn't actively try to impress him or anything, although she blushes because she just likes it when she hears compliments from Ash. She doesn't try to get Ash to notice her. She does a lot of those fashion things because Serena loves fashion, that's part of her personality. Heck, this is evident in her interactions with her mom, as she likes clothes that her mom doesn't like simply because she believes what her mom doesn't like is "cuter". The crush is definitely a part of her character, but it's not something that just straight up completely defines her...

Anyways, onto the episode itself. I liked it a lot. I think this was a damn solid episode and the Showcase was pretty good. The performances were pretty good. They're not super amazing or the best thing in the world, but the performances that were seen here were solid. Miette wasn't that impressive but her performance was alright. But I did find most of the performances to be solid. Serena did pretty well in this Showcase and this was a good episode overall, man they manage to handle Serena's episodes quite well. Jessie got robbed hard, but eh, whatever. But man, this episode showed that Jessie has a large ego to try and hurt Serena there, but good thing Serena still hung in there. Oh and the Miette-Serena interactions were amusing to me to say the very least and it's funny how oblivious Ash is to the fact that the two girls both want him and are romantically interested in him. He's a babe magnet but he doesn't know it lol.

Oh and Bonnie knows....

this will likely mean something for AmourShipping in the future...

oh ho ho ho...

bwahahahahaha