• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Perilous Headaches Pang! (PHP issues)

Eszett

one love
I figured that I would post this in the webmasters forum considering this its knowledge base will be more likely to solve my problem than the tech help forum, but given the nature of the situation it could tip either way. Move it if you see fit.

So I'm trying to get a wiki back up on my as-of-now hypothetical server, and to that end, I'm testing out a local installation of what I have concluded to be the three necessary components for a working wiki - a server (Apache), PHP, and MediaWiki. (Though I have a inkling of a feeling I might need MySQL in there as well. Is this so?)

Apache runs fine when I start it up. It doesn't lag or crash or any-what-thing.

PHP on the other hand though...&*($@#&*)

I don't know what the hell is going with it. I've installed it and reinstalled it at least four times, first in my C:\Program Files\ directory and then in my C:\ directory, but the necessary extensions are just plain missing!

Let's take a gander at what happens when I start php.exe, shall we...

"php_mbstring.dll not found."
"OCI.dll not found."
"OCI.dll not found." (again)
"OCI.dll not found." (AGAIN)
"sqlite3.dll not found."
"aspell-15.dll not found."
"libcs.dll not found."
"DB2CLI.dll not found."
"isqlt09a.dll not found."
"iilibapi.dll not found."
"libSQLDBC_C.dll not found."
"libmonetra.dll not found."
"lcrzo.dll not found."
"OCIW32.dll not found."
"DB2CLI.dll not found." (this one again)
"ICLIT09B.dll not found."
"intl3_svn.dll not found."

After that, Vista finally displays that AppCrash method I've seen too many times already.

I checked the php.ini file in the working directory - currently C:\PHP - and it specifically states the extension directory is c:\php\ext. Of all these files, the only one that's actually there is php_mbstring.dll.

So three questions:
  1. Why is it not detecting this php_mbstring.dll?
  2. Where do I get the rest of these extensions?! The official PHP Win32 distribution doesn't contain any of these files.
  3. Am I starting up the right executable? There is also a php_cgi.exe and php_win.exe.
Your assistance in this matter would be more than greatly appreciated and might even get you rewards in the afterlife.

chaos on the internet

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Yes, you need MySQL. Honestly, I recommend deleting the whole shebang and downloading http://www.wampserver.com/en/ WampServer - it's a distribution for Windows that includes PHP5, Apache2 and MySQL preconfigured to work together.

> Why is it not detecting this php_mbstring.dll?

I can't tell you without seeing your configuration file and other installation specifics. I really recommend you just use WampServer though, if you think PHP is hard to setup on Windows you'll have a hell of a time getting MySQL to work

> Where do I get the rest of these extensions?! The official PHP Win32 distribution doesn't contain any of these files.

You'll want to look through PECL

> Am I starting up the right executable? There is also a php_cgi.exe and php_win.exe.

There is no executable to start. You need mod_php for Apache, and that will run via a DLL. Alternatively, you can use FastCGI for Apache but that's harder to setup and the advantages will be slim considering the scope of your project.

blueparukia

The Sexy Nerd
PHP is annoying to install, no doubt about it- so get a prebuilt installer with Apache, PHP and MySQL, if you're running Vista, I know XAMPP works, not sure about any others, as for XP, there are tonnes of things to do ths :)

BP

Eszett

one love
So I have installed the WAMP server and went browsing around localhost in my browser (Opera if it matters at all). There was a dialog for SQL Lite or something-of-that-ballpark, and I went into it to see if I could install the database.

And lo, wikisql was installed!

Good thing I know what to do with it now, though... :confused:

UPDATE: I now have a copy of MediaWiki running on my own computer. Freaky. So how do I get this SQL file to work in this copy of MediaWiki?

Last edited:

blueparukia

The Sexy Nerd
You mean installing a MediaWiki database backup onto your localhost copy of mediawiki?

I can't remember exactly how it's done, but you have to execute the SQL file/query in PHPMyAdmin, then use the mediawiki updater (built in). I have done this once before, but it was back with Mediawiki 1.6 :p

I'll play around with it later and get back to you,

BP