• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Permanently Banned from Serebii's Discord Server?

Sage Raziel

I am genuinely confused about this, and I'm hoping to post here for some clarification. I was first banned about eight or nine months ago for "having a hacked Switch console." This was merely a guess from a mod. I was never asked, messaged, or confronted. I was banned without warning. Then, when I PMed a mod about it, I was told I wasn't supposed to ask about bans or PM mods when banned. I was just supposed to accept it and wait it out. However, one of the mods agreed that I should have been approached before being banned. I didn't have a hacked Switch console, and worked together with a mod to prove I didn't by sending them photos of my console, and several different screens on my Switch settings and Pokemon game, as well as by trading them Pokemon and sending them photos of shiny Pokemon I had gotten from raids. I also explained exactly how I was shiny hunting in raids and changing my Switch's date to progress through my den. My ban was lifted as I demonstrated that my Switch was not hacked. But, I was warned that changing my console's date was considered an exploit and not allowed.

My second ban came a couple days later because I was offering an event Mewtwo from 5th generation in exchange for an event Mewtwo from the Let's Go games. Again, on this second ban, I was never messaged or approached. Just boom, I'm banned with no warning. Again, I contacted a mod. They informed me that Mewtwo cannot learn the move Electroball, thus my offer was of a hacked Pokemon, which always results in a ban. My Mewtwo, though, was not hacked. I sent them a link to Serebii's event database that showed that exact Mewtwo event as well as photos of the Mewtwo I was offering for trade. Electroball was a move that event Mewtwo had. I was unbanned, but warned that people offering really old events are usually offering hacked or cloned Pokemon which is not allowed. My Mewtwo was not cloned or hacked.

My third and final ban came when I offered a shiny Celebi that I had gotten in Pokemon Silver. At the time, I was unaware that this wasn't allowed. But, after I messaged a mod, it was brought to my attention that the use of any glitch in a Pokemon game is considered equivalent to hacking. So, for this third ban, I was actually guilty. I didn't do it with malicious intent. I was just ignorant. It's not an excuse, and I don't want it to be taken that way. I just want to differentiate between someone knowingly and willingly offering illegal Pokemon and someone who didn't know. Both are wrong, but one is actively seeking to undermine the rules and the other is not.

I wasn't requesting to be unbanned. I was wrong, and I understood that, and I was fine with waiting out my ban. After three months, I messaged a mod on Discord again to see how long my ban was for. They didn't answer me, so I asked someone else. Apparently, I'm a problem user and was issued a longer-term ban since it was my third offense. However, it was really only my first and for a minor offense. I didn't argue or second-guess that. The first two bans I was cleared from. Still, I decided to just wait it out. It has now been eight or nine months, and I'm still banned.

Is my ban permanent? For clarification, the Celebi offered (which I know now but did not know at the time, was not allowed on Serebii). I did not use any external software or hardware or any illegal means to acquire the Celebi. GameFreak had acknowledged the glitch and said they left them in on purpose because that's part of what made the original experience with the original games (that's how I learned of this glitch in the first place). I'm not saying this to argue that the Celebi is fair or not against Serebii rules. I understand now that it is not allowed. I'm explaining this so that the mods reviewing this can understand what I was thinking when I originally posted it for trade. I know it was wrong now, but at the time I didn't. I didn't contest this ban or argue. But, to count my first two bans that were later deemed wrong against me toward a permanent ban isn't fair. I've only ever received one actual ban from Serebii's Discord, not three. And, on that one real one, I complied wholly and completely. It was an honest mistake, and I know now that glitched Pokemon from the virtual console games aren't allowed on Serebii even if Bank and Home recognize them as legit.

If my ban still has time on it, I'm fine with waiting it out. I'm just bringing this up because it's been eight or nine months now, and I'm wondering if this is a permanent ban. If it's not, may I know how much time is left on me ban? I'm happy to comply however deemed necessary, just let me know what I need to do.

SleepingGiant

Discord mod (Sudo)
Hi, I am Sudo from the server. Just to quickly hit a few points:

- There was a lot of confusion around the first ban as you pointed out.
- I wasn't aware of the second one but hopefully that was cleared up.
- The third one sounds about right. To clarify, it's not just "glitches" that are the problem, but specifically, glitches which manipulate data to modify data that shouldn't be modified. Changing species ID's and other "permanent" data, forcing impossible encounters, generating Pokemon, etc. Note that gen 2 (among other gens) has Arbitrary Code Execution, so if "glitches without external hacking tools" were still allowed, then absolutely any arbitrary hackmon would be "legal". In fact, that's exactly what the glitched Celebi is.

Additionally, as I recall, you chose to part ways with the Serebii community because of your disagreement about our rule against requiring payment of some sort to gain entry into Max Raid battles. That didn't end up resulting in a ban, but was a point of friction at one point. As I didn't know about this last one, I had thought for these past several months that you had left for that reason, other communities better suited your preferences.

To address your last point: The way Discord bans typically work is that the ban is left in place (usually) until an appeal is made. This is because there are simply so many people on the banlist over the years that it is infeasible to track them all. So, try not to take it personally if we didn't "forget" to unban you several months later; it could simply be because we didn't get an appeal to begin discussion of it. Messaging individual mods can be inconsistent, lead to misunderstandings, and depending on how you reach out can imply that you could evade if you wanted to. Making the thread here is the right way to start that discussion.

This response is mainly to help clarify some things. Since there were multiple mods involved, I will leave it up to them to come to an agreement.

Sage Raziel

Hi, I am Sudo from the server. Just to quickly hit a few points:

- There was a lot of confusion around the first ban as you pointed out.
- I wasn't aware of the second one but hopefully that was cleared up.
- The third one sounds about right. To clarify, it's not just "glitches" that are the problem, but specifically, glitches which manipulate data to modify data that shouldn't be modified. Changing species ID's and other "permanent" data, forcing impossible encounters, generating Pokemon, etc. Note that gen 2 (among other gens) has Arbitrary Code Execution, so if "glitches without external hacking tools" were still allowed, then absolutely any arbitrary hackmon would be "legal". In fact, that's exactly what the glitched Celebi is.

Additionally, as I recall, you chose to part ways with the Serebii community because of your disagreement about our rule against requiring payment of some sort to gain entry into Max Raid battles. That didn't end up resulting in a ban, but was a point of friction at one point. As I didn't know about this last one, I had thought for these past several months that you had left for that reason, other communities better suited your preferences.

To address your last point: The way Discord bans typically work is that the ban is left in place (usually) until an appeal is made. This is because there are simply so many people on the banlist over the years that it is infeasible to track them all. So, try not to take it personally if we didn't "forget" to unban you several months later; it could simply be because we didn't get an appeal to begin discussion of it. Messaging individual mods can be inconsistent, lead to misunderstandings, and depending on how you reach out can imply that you could evade if you wanted to. Making the thread here is the right way to start that discussion.

This response is mainly to help clarify some things. Since there were multiple mods involved, I will leave it up to them to come to an agreement.

Thanks for getting back to me! I had messaged a mod, who said they'd look into it but never got back to me until yesterday. That's fine. I know you guys are really busy. After awhile, I just decided to make a post here.

As for asking for payment for raids, I have never once done that. I have always been against that, and that's why I started originally hosting raids. Too many people were asking for Masterballs, shinies, or even money (not on Serebii, just in general online), so I started hosting raids for free. All I asked was if you managed to catch the Pokemon, you sat out to give others a chance. I disappeared because of the Celebi ban, and never returned because my ban was never lifted.

I'm not actually here to argue about the payment thing. I just wanted to clear that up so anyone reading this understands what actually happened. I am against charging any entry for raids or the new dynamax adventures.