• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

PETA's New Campaine To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens".

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmnhippy

Banned
PETA's reached a new level of madness...

http://www.newsday.com/iphone/ny-peta-seakittens,0,2589330.story

New PETA campaign to rename fish 'sea kittens'

BY JESSICA DAMIANO |jessica.damiano@newsday.com10:44 AM EST, January 15, 2009

PETA, the group behind the "I'd Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fur" campaign, has a new target -- fish eaters. In attempt to pressure consumers with guilt, the group wants fish to be rebranded as "sea kittens."

According to "Sea Kitten Facts" on its Web site, fish feel pain and affection, they enjoy being petted and they communicate with one another. "Who could possibly want to put a hook through a sea kitten?"

The rebranding strategy is similar to that used by the organization when it referred to McDonald's as "McCruelty" and Burger King as "Murder King."
[size=+2][As in it's just a Campaign to coax little kids to stop eating fish by making them cute.][/size]

The sea kitten campaign Web site, which targets children with cartoon-like illustrations and under-the-sea sound effects, includes a petition to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to "stop promoting the hunting of sea kittens" (4,263 signatures as of this writing), bedtime stories (What keeps sea kittens up at night?) and the sale of sea kitten merchandise. Kids can even design their own sea kitten, name it, attire it with a princess dress and tiara and e-mail it to friends.

"People don't seem to like fish," a notice on the site reads. "They're slithery and slimy... Of course, if you look at it another way, what all this really means is that fish need to fire their PR guy... When your name can also be used as a verb that means driving a hook through your head, it's time for a serious image makeover."

Is the group playing dirty by targeting the emotions of impressionable youngsters?

PETA is well-known for its no-holds-barred activism, including the infamous red-paint attacks on people wearing fur coats and its 2003 "Holocaust on Your Plate" campaign, in which the group compared factory farming to the Nazi genocide. Some campaigns have failed but others, like "McCruelty" and "Murder King" have raised awareness and even brought change, the group says, taking credit for new animal welfare practices at the two fast food companies.

The sea-kitten site includes a link to Fishinghurts.com, another PETA endeavor, which addresses worldwide environmental concerns about over-fishing, and several sea kitten "facts" such as "some sea kittens tend well-kept gardens" and "A University of Edinburgh study found that sea kittens can retain information that they learned up to 11 months earlier, which makes them cuter and smarter than the president of the United States!"

Screenshot of the site:
[img200]http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2009-01/44529378.jpg[/img200]

Sea Kitten Web site

Check the site out, you can make gangster Sea Kittens, WHICH IS AWESOME, AND THEY ARE CUTER AND SMARTER THEN GEORGE BUSH!

Discuss.

Last edited:

~Magic Thunderbolt~

Idiots.

Bleh, a fish is a fish, even if a group arbitrarily names it a "sea kitten".

Ninterror X

The bird brain.
**** ***got fish **** sucking morons

people can eat what-ever they want, if they want fish then god dammit there will be a lot.
and besides, who would name them Sea kittens?

Jhonny

Officially The Worst
I can't wait until some kid gets confused and goes spearing kittens.

cbiesra

Pedophillia? Naww.>>
Good times. Good times.

Darkfall

Abuses SHIFT + ENTER
As a man who has eaten cat (And thouroughly enjoyed it) let me be the first to say:

Om nom nom.

While we're at it, can we have Cows rebranded as "Milk Machines" and grass become "Natural Carpetting"? Though the latter does sound like a description for pubic hairs I suppose.

BS.
Even if they get renamed I sure don't give a damn. It's not like people will stop calling them fish, and there's nothing anyone could do to stop us from calling them that, as it'd violate free speech.
So even if they suceed (duobt it) they still fail.

Pearl's Perap

I myself am a vegatarian and find this completely ridiculous, why in God's name would changing their name to 'sea kittens' stop people eating them in any way shape or form? They're gonna be fish no matter what and people are going to eat them...

Ninterror X

The bird brain.

While we're at it, can we have Cows rebranded as "Milk Machines" and grass become "Natural Carpetting"? Though the latter does sound like a description for pubic hairs I suppose.

funny I was going to do that and call Chickens "egg bombers" and Pigs "Muddy bacon"

xXPorygonXx

Sort of active
Sea kittens?

HAH

Worst idea ever. Renaming animals is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. And I doubt that people wouldn't eat fish, even if they were "Sea Kittens".

Atoyont

Brains for brawn
These people are genius! They'll be especially smart when this campaign goes to those in countries where kittens are actually food!
In fact, why don't we just give every food an adorable name so we stop eating it? I mean, if we just eat plants, we'll lose our source of photosynthesis which converts carbon dioxide into oxygen, and that'll just speed up our apparently imminent doom!

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
This is the best idea I've ever heard. Calling fish sea kittens? HOW AWESOME IS THAT! It's like, my freaking god, you could go kittening for kittens, and then you could watch a documentary on Great White Kittens and then you could eat some kittens and then you could watch the documentary again and OMG OMG OMG I want this.

Jhonny

Officially The Worst
Kitten fingers wouldn't even make sense. Besides, making something cute wont stop people eating it. A better tact would be to re-brand them bile sticks.

Ninterror X

The bird brain.
not to mention there are different species which means they have to name them all after breeds, like from flounder to Persian or Tuna to Siamese.

Status
Not open for further replies.