• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Phazing in the rain

zerozoner

This is a rain team centered around phazing to rack up some additional damage. Nothing really original about this idea, but I thought I would give it a try and I've met with much success.

186.png

Politoed (M) @ Wide Lens
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast
- Toxic

The Toed that brings a rain of destruction upon my opponent. In all honesty I don't really need the rain for this guy to kick butt it's just an added bonus. Wide Lens is the center for this set, raising all of Politoed's moves up to acceptable accuracy. Hydro Pump in rain gets Double STAB in rain, with Blizzard and Focus Blast making powerful coverage moves. Toxic is there cause I can't think of another move to fill up that slot.

149.png

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Dragon Tail
- Aqua Jet

My bulky mix attacking dragon, Dragonite has a wonderful ability, stats, and move pool to pull off a nice Phazing move set. Roost is to activate Multiscale several times. Hurricane 100% accurate in rain and is a 120 base power STAB, Dragon Tail Phazes and is also STAB, Aqua Jet receives some nice power from the rain and is priority to boot.

9.png

Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 216 HP / 76 Def / 216 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Protect
- Roar
- Toxic
- Scald

My second Phazer and general staler. Protect is a free turn of left overs and rain dish recovery. Roar is the Phazing aspect of the move set, with Toxic and Scald inflicting status effects onto my foe.

135.png

Jolteon (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Jolteon is a standard rain sweeper with perfect accuracy STAB Thunder striking my opponent for devistating damage. Volt Switch lets Jolteon scout and Shadow Ball is for additional coverage. HP Grass is for Gastrodon and Quagsire that can stall my team. It also allows Jolteon to prey on these guys who would normally force any electric type to switch out.

205.png

Forretress (M) @ Mental Herb
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

My Entry Hazard setter and spinner with a Mental Herb so I can still set up even when taunted. Not much more to explain about this set.

212.png

Scizor (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break
- Roost

Scizor is my Physical sweeper with a Lum Berry so status conditions won't slow me down. SD with Bullet Punch is Scizors main method of attack, but with some speed investment I can usually hit Heatran with a SD boosted Brick Break before it can counter attack. Roost give Scizor some additional Bulk.

This team is still a work in progress so feel free to leave any complete suggestion, I would appreciate it if nobody left half baked advice like "you should remove this guy from your team" please tell me why I should remove that member and/or who would make a good replacement.​

Fracktail

1)(suggestion) I wont put politoed as a lead, by now everyone knows to wait to kill the drizzler then send out a ninestales or something put maybe Forrestress first to put out some spikes first.

2)(suggestion) you dont need a lum berry for scizor, it is slow already and you have priority bullect punch. Switch that out for a muscle band or something else. (it is immune to poison anyway)

3)(warning)Beware of the age old swim swim Kingdra or Ludicolo (dragonite keeps them in check but if it is fainted you have a big problem)

4)(suggestion) back to the scizor: you might want a flash fire to pair with it for will-o-wisp taking

5)(Warning)A cradily is a little dangerous due to suction cups and it has super effective SABs on 2 pokes and is pretty dangerous.

overall interesting but some pokes could really stop the idea of phazing. Message me on my profile if any of this stuff helps or does not help you.

-Fracktail

Eaglehawk

Banned
1)(suggestion) I wont put politoed as a lead, by now everyone knows to wait to kill the drizzler then send out a ninestales or something put maybe Forrestress first to put out some spikes first.

2)(suggestion) you dont need a lum berry for scizor, it is slow already and you have priority bullect punch. Switch that out for a muscle band or something else. (it is immune to poison anyway)

3)(warning)Beware of the age old swim swim Kingdra or Ludicolo (dragonite keeps them in check but if it is fainted you have a big problem)

4)(suggestion) back to the scizor: you might want a flash fire to pair with it for will-o-wisp taking

5)(Warning)A cradily is a little dangerous due to suction cups and it has super effective SABs on 2 pokes and is pretty dangerous.

overall interesting but some pokes could really stop the idea of phazing. Message me on my profile if any of this stuff helps or does not help you.

-Fracktail

Agrees with 1)

Partial agrees with 2). Use Leftovers on Bulky SD sets.

3) isn't relevant to the metagame anymore.

4) isn't all that important due to rain nullifying Fires power by 1.5

Eaglehawk

Banned

-Fracktail

Agrees with 1)

Partial agrees with 2). Use Leftovers on Bulky SD sets.

3) isn't relevant to the metagame anymore.

4) isn't all that important due to rain nullifying Fires power by 1.5

5)Again, not as important since Dragonite and Scizor can both take out Cradily.

Teamwise, it really has some funky sets.

Arty-Kun

Kill it with weather
The team looks pretty nice, but could use a couple small adjustments.

On Politoed, you should just change the set to SpecsToed, as it is commonly known as the best offensive Politoed set. That would mean dropping Blizzard and replacing it with Ice Beam, but Ice Beam would do more damage. And replace Toxic with Hidden Power [Grass], so in the event you HAD to try and take on Gastrodon/Rotom-W, you would be able to.

On Dragonite, run Extremespeed over Aqua Jet, because with the rain boost Aqua Jet ends up at base 60 power, while Extremespeed sits at 80. If you're worried about the typing of Extremespeed, then stick with Aqua Jet, but I would run Extremespeed. Also, invest 192 Ev's into Sp. Def, 252 in Hp, and 64 into Def, and run a Sassy nature. This EV spread is made to maximize Dragonite's beautiful special bulk, while keeping adequate physical bulk. The nature is taboo considering what you want, but I figure a specially oriented nature would benefit Dragonite best, while only undermining speed (which it doesn't use).

Blastoise is a unique choice as a rain staller, I'll go with it, but please replace Toxic with Rapid Spin, as Forretress has waaaay too much pressure on it, setting up hazards on the opponents team or removing them from yours is not a choice you want to make.

And you might want to run Timid on Jolteon, as it doesn't outspeed Starmie with Modest.

Overall, it's a unique team in my opinnion.

zerozoner

-Fracktail

Thanks for all the suggestions,Since everyone seem to quote from this all explain a few things that this brought up.
1) Politoed is not always my led.
2) Scizors Lum Berry is to stop Burn from hiddereing my one physical attacker and sleep from making Scizor an idle Poke.
3) yeah I've never really had a problem with this.
4) A fire type on a rain team? Really, isn't that counter productive?
5) cradily isn't really used that much and both of my main sweepers will have no difficulty taking it out.

The team looks pretty nice, but could use a couple small adjustments.

On Politoed, you should just change the set to SpecsToed, as it is commonly known as the best offensive Politoed set. That would mean dropping Blizzard and replacing it with Ice Beam, but Ice Beam would do more damage. And replace Toxic with Hidden Power [Grass], so in the event you HAD to try and take on Gastrodon/Rotom-W, you would be able to.

On Dragonite, run Extremespeed over Aqua Jet, because with the rain boost Aqua Jet ends up at base 60 power, while Extremespeed sits at 80. If you're worried about the typing of Extremespeed, then stick with Aqua Jet, but I would run Extremespeed. Also, invest 192 Ev's into Sp. Def, 252 in Hp, and 64 into Def, and run a Sassy nature. This EV spread is made to maximize Dragonite's beautiful special bulk, while keeping adequate physical bulk. The nature is taboo considering what you want, but I figure a specially oriented nature would benefit Dragonite best, while only undermining speed (which it doesn't use).

Blastoise is a unique choice as a rain staller, I'll go with it, but please replace Toxic with Rapid Spin, as Forretress has waaaay too much pressure on it, setting up hazards on the opponents team or removing them from yours is not a choice you want to make.

And you might want to run Timid on Jolteon, as it doesn't outspeed Starmie with Modest.

Overall, it's a unique team in my opinnion.

Personally I don't like Choice Items for the Lack of changing moves, but I will use the HP Grass though. For the most part Dragonite's move set was an experiment so I'll give this set a try. I'm considering replacing Jolteon with Starmie as an offensive spinner so I don't know if I'll be changing Blastoise move set.

Arty-Kun

Kill it with weather
Thanks for all the suggestions,Since everyone seem to quote from this all explain a few things that this brought up.
1) Politoed is not always my led.
2) Scizors Lum Berry is to stop Burn from hiddereing my one physical attacker and sleep from making Scizor an idle Poke.
3) yeah I've never really had a problem with this.
4) A fire type on a rain team? Really, isn't that counter productive?
5) cradily isn't really used that much and both of my main sweepers will have no difficulty taking it out.

Personally I don't like Choice Items for the Lack of changing moves, but I will use the HP Grass though. For the most part Dragonite's move set was an experiment so I'll give this set a try. I'm considering replacing Jolteon with Starmie as an offensive spinner so I don't know if I'll be changing Blastoise move set.
Well, using Toxic when you have Toxic Spikes on the field is kinda pointless...
But concerning Jolteon, don't replace it with Starmie, or anything for that matter, as that is possibly the only pokemon on your team that can take down Thundurus and other lovely electric types. Would you like me to post a better (non choice) set for Jolteon?

zerozoner

But concerning Jolteon, don't replace it with Starmie, or anything for that matter, as that is possibly the only pokemon on your team that can take down Thundurus and other lovely electric types. Would you like me to post a better (non choice) set for Jolteon?

By all means please do, though I'm currently trying out Zapdos as a possible replacement for Jolteon.

Arty-Kun

Kill it with weather
This set is on a pretty good team on Smogon, so here it is.
Jolteon.png

Jolteon @ Expert Belt
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature: Timid
Ev's: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Thunder
-Hidden Power [Ice]

Eaglehawk

Banned

Running Toxic when running T-Spikes is needed for the Levitators and Flying types, such as Rotom, Latias, and Gyarados.

Actually, Starmie would work quite well on this team. Life Orb set with Surf/Thunder/Ice Beam or Recover/Rapid Spin can function as a decent Thunderus Revenge Killer. You could also try Electivire, as Electivire can switch into Thunderbolt and KO it with Ice Punch while outspeeding it.

Arty-Kun

Kill it with weather
Running Toxic when running T-Spikes is needed for the Levitators and Flying types, such as Rotom, Latias, and Gyarados.

Actually, Starmie would work quite well on this team. Life Orb set with Surf/Thunder/Ice Beam or Recover/Rapid Spin can function as a decent Thunderus Revenge Killer. You could also try Electivire, as Electivire can switch into Thunderbolt and KO it with Ice Punch while outspeeding it.
You can just burn it with Scald. It's something that would hardly be useful, especially when Forretress has so much stress on itself already to bring out at least two layers of Toxic Spikes. It needs another pokemon to Rapid Spin. And Starmie would be a bad idea, as it would open a very large gap to electric types that are either 1.) faster then Starmie 2.) Bulky enough to where Starmie can't KO. This goes for electric as a type as well, because even without STAB, it would hit 3 of his pokemon super effectively.
Whereas Jolteon provides an immunity to electricity, can create a Substitute on a switch, and Baton Pass to an appropriate pokemon if it didn't want to attempt to beat it. It's a bad idea, I'm pretty positive I'm right.

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
for the dragonite set you need to invest some ev's into HP before you max out both defenses. if your going for a bulkier set take off quiet nature. ditch aqua jet. i don't know what kind of set you want but maybe you can try the parasuffler set.

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail
- Roost

Arty-Kun

Kill it with weather
for the dragonite set you need to invest some ev's into HP before you max out both defenses. if your going for a bulkier set take off quiet nature. ditch aqua jet. i don't know what kind of set you want but maybe you can try the parasuffler set.

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
Copypasta off of the smogon set. It doesn't mold to fill all the roles it needs to.

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
what other dragonite set would you recomend? you could use a bulky dragon dance set but that gets rid of the phazing part of it. you could get rid of jolteon and use a set with thunder, hurricane, dragon pulse/surf/ something else and roost and find another pokemon to use like skarmory. just a suggestion

emboarrocks

#1 emboar fan
No point in putting 3 entry hazards on Forrtress

zerozoner

The three Entry Hazards on Fortress are needed for different situations, SR is good against Sun teams, Spikes are good in general, and Toxic spikes work well if there's no opposing poison and steel types.

I was thinking of using this Move set for Zapdos

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Roost
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Lightningrod for the electric immunity, Sub to keep status away, Roost to recover Hp used for subs, Thunder 100% accurate STAB, HP Ice for Thundorus and dragons.

Last edited: