• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pidgeot/Butterfree/Primeape

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Ok, before you guys attack me, i want to say a few things.

Back in the days, there was horrible writing. Specially Johto. Their theory was as the generations passed, the old pokemon will be released and replaced with newer generation ones. Hench Charizard and Squirtle's departures. Obviously those didnt go well. By Advanced Generation they got better and oaked the previous generation pokemon.

Now, we all know what a truly amazing and unpredictable season DP was. Starting from Ash trading and Dawn development and her losing in the appeal rounds twice in a row(which was unthinkable in Advanced Gen) to a character dying. And we all know B/W already looks set to be even better in terms of writing, development and unpredictability. Surely the writers regret their handling of previous generations. I mean, look at this League! The Johto pokemon are getting all the redemption they want! Noctowl, Quilava, they're all powerhouses now! I'm sure the writers remember their poor handling of Butterfree and co. They obviously know that many of us DO indeed remember them(why else did they bring the Johto pokemon?). So, do you think, to make up for everything, Pidgeot and Butterfree will get shocking comebacks! Doesnt have to be in B/W. DP still hasnt ended. They could easily meet up with Ash in Pallet!

So, what do you guys think?

Nacreous

Fire trainer
I don't think the writers even remember those pkmn.They brought back his Johto team for the League partly cuz of HGSS and cuz it would've been boring for Ash to use only his Sinnoh team

Silver_Seoul

Ok, before you guys attack me, i want to say a few things.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to attack you, but you may take some offense from this post.

Back in the days, there was horrible writing. Specially Johto.

Johto was bad but Indigo Kanto was even worse. How the hell do you screw up an eighty-episode season? The Pokemon, the Gym battles, the rival(s), the "evil team," character development, and just about everything else besides some personality here and there was horrifying.

Their theory was as the generations passed, the old pokemon will be released and replaced with newer generation ones. Hench Charizard and Squirtle's departures. Obviously those didnt go well.

How did Squirtle and Charizard finding a place to make themselves stronger not go well?

By Advanced Generation they got better and oaked the previous generation pokemon.

Ash had been Oak'ing Pokemon since Krabby, AG didn't invent it or anything.

Now, we all know what a truly amazing and unpredictable season DP was. Starting from Ash trading

Most people saw that coming, what with having a Buizel and Piplup on the same team...

and Dawn development and her losing in the appeal rounds twice in a row(which was unthinkable in Advanced Gen)

Losing in two appeal rounds wasn't unthinkable, it was just a change of pace...

to a character dying.

Movie 1 Ash, Movie 5 Latios, Movie 8 Lucario and The Ghost of Maiden's Peak all say hello, as they all died. Only one that wasn't permanent was Ash. And if you don't wanna count the movies, as I pointed out, the death of J was preceded a long time ago by the Ghost.

And we all know B/W already looks set to be even better in terms of writing, development and unpredictability.

How would we know that as of yet?

Surely the writers regret their handling of previous generations. I mean, look at this League! The Johto pokemon are getting all the redemption they want! Noctowl, Quilava, they're all powerhouses now!

I'm surprised you didn't mention Heracross. He seems to be the "star" of this League. But yeah, they don't regret. It's a mixture of advertising and creativity on the writers part.

I'm sure the writers remember their poor handling of Butterfree and co.

We're on episode... 657? And Butterfree was released in the 21'st episode of the anime? You think they'd bother with a fragile little bug from 636 episodes ago? I mean, sure it'll always have its place as Ash's first capture... first trade... first release... first gender-confirmation... first evolution... etc., but they just don't care about it anymore. Plus, I think he's dead.

They obviously know that many of us DO indeed remember them(why else did they bring the Johto pokemon?).

Umm, the Johto team was never forgotten. The writers didn't bring them back because the fanbase remembered how badly they were handled, they brought them back to make up for the crappy league they got and limited BF appearance.

So, do you think, to make up for everything, Pidgeot and Butterfree will get shocking comebacks!

The perfect opportunity to make up for Pidgeot was BF. Literally. That was just. A perfect set-up. Ash told him he'd come back for it and just. Never did. He basically did what Damien did to Charmander.

Doesnt have to be in B/W. DP still hasnt ended. They could easily meet up with Ash in Pallet!

So, what do you guys think?

I think no, sorry. I'd like it, but. Just. I've lost faith for those three.

ssquaderi8

i recently watched the orange league again and remember the gs ball, everyone forgot all about it, in bulbapedia it says the gs ball was never mentioned again in an attempt to make people forget about it, so obviously some of the writers back then purposely forgot about things that are important in the anime, for godsakes the gs ball was why ash went to the orange league, as much as i want primeape, butterfree and pidgeot to come back, i dont see how, although what i thought was going to happen b4 the sinnoh league started was that when ash was fighting paul, paul sent out a fearow and then all of a sudden pidgeot flies over the stadium and lands on the battlefield, and since it has awesome experience in fighting fearow, it one-hit ko's it with aeroblast or something like that.

But honestly, i do doubt any of the pokemon will come back, but if they do i hope it will be with a bang!, a big one at that!

Silver_Seoul

i recently watched the orange league again and remember the gs ball, everyone forgot all about it, in bulbapedia it says the gs ball was never mentioned again in an attempt to make people forget about it, so obviously some of the writers back then purposely forgot about things that are important in the anime, for godsakes the gs ball was why ash went to the orange league.

Actually the writers had a plot for the GS Ball, but the fourth movie f****d it up. They intended for the GS Ball to contain Celebi but they opted to discontinue it or whatever because of Pokemon 4Ever.

Silver_Seoul

but i thought the movie had nothing to do with the anime, or was it just too much publicity for celebi

Eh, I dunno. I personally wouldn't care too much about seeing a Celebi in a movie then watching it an arc about one a couple episodes after the movie's premiere. I wasn't even double digits yet, I just wanted me some Legendary action. :p

So yeah, they should have carried out GS Ball; but they didn't.

gliscor&yanmega

I think it's better that there are some releases from time to time(Obviously they shouldn't release all of Ash old Pokemon to never be seen again, but releasing Pokemon is a good way to show maturity and not be selfish. In Pidgeot, Butterfree, and Primeape's cases, they all wanted to go(I think), it was hard on Ash and the Pokemon but that's life even in Pokemon world. You'll lose someone close to you in some way and you have to live with the fact you may never see them again.

pokemonloverXD

Ash's fangirl
Forget about those Pokemon, they'll never return

I think it's better that there are some releases from time to time(Obviously they shouldn't release all of Ash old Pokemon to never be seen again, but releasing Pokemon is a good way to show maturity and not be selfish. In Pidgeot, Butterfree, and Primeape's cases, they all wanted to go(I think), it was hard on Ash and the Pokemon but that's life even in Pokemon world. You'll lose someone close to you in some way and you have to live with the fact you may never see them again.

I agree with this completely

Last edited:

Kotone

Johto was bad but Indigo Kanto was even worse. How the hell do you screw up an eighty-episode season? The Pokemon, the Gym battles, the rival(s), the "evil team," character development, and just about everything else besides some personality here and there was horrifying.

hey indigo season was the best ever it had the most emotional value for both watchers and characters aswell as the best plot and had the best character development rather than all character saying the same remars the whole season (aka dp). The 150 pokemon are the best ever and team rocket is betterthan magma,aqua and galactic combined. Also if it weren't for their success you wouldn't have your precious dps and stuff

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
hey indigo season was the best ever it had the most emotional value for both watchers and characters aswell as the best plot and had the best character development rather than all character saying the same remars the whole season (aka dp). The 150 pokemon are the best ever and team rocket is betterthan magma,aqua and galactic combined. Also if it weren't for their success you wouldn't have your precious dps and stuff

True but the plot's and the writing were terrible from the first season compared even to Johto.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
I don't think the writers even remember those pkmn.They brought back his Johto team for the League partly cuz of HGSS and cuz it would've been boring for Ash to use only his Sinnoh team

They do they actually put them on Sprout opening, atleast the animators do and they work with the writers so yeah.

Anyway i would like to see them back, i dont see Butterfree coming back since the story was kinda closed and Pidgeot probably has a family now also XD but Priemeape could be easy to bring back for a competition no really need to make a huge plot around it.

Yeah i would like to see each of them come back one time or another i could see Pidgeot/Priemeape coming back easly if the writers wanted i cant see the same with Butterfree though.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Dude, OP, whatever your name is (didn't really pay attention) don't b*tch about Butterfree!

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Primeape really should have been Oak'd after that ep rather than released.

We could have seen Primeape be like Muk, Snorlax, etc.

The only releases that made sense were Butterfree and Lapras.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
The writers really didn't know what to do with Pidgeot.They figured it wasn't a very popular pokemon so they let it go...It's not like it was used like a Pidgeotto.And it would've stolen Charizard's spotlight

SuperiorMX13

OC of Mime Jr!
What about all those promises that he made saying ill see you again to pokemon do the writers not want to fulfill those even know pidgeot was expose to get seen after the orange league but never did this also brings up a question about primape time and time again it has been listed in training being that it has a chacne in coming back to ashs team but you look at spurt Lapras Larvitar Pidgeot but the thing is that the writers should do something to reveal them again maybe when ash visits kanto he could have a huge party like usual ash could go to the viridian forest find Pidgeot but soon he finds out he has to go to Johto to catch the ship to Isshu runs into butterfree and its mate then at mt sliver he runs int larvitar and larvitar comes along and soon when close to the port he runs into chuck who is having a fighting pokemon contest and soon see all kinds of fighting pokemon and then sees primape and primape missed ash and joins but then like tracey comes along and gives ash the bedrill he gave her and then he gets on the boat and finds sabrina she is surprised he is going to isshu and she gives him Gengar which is the same haunter that he gave her and then soon on the sea his lapras spots him and jumps on the boat and wants to go with him so he lets him and then he oaks them all when he gets to isshu

the bottom point to what im saying is they should bring them back but they probably wont because there is no reason now if it was Johto or early hoenn heck even the battle frontier it probably would have fit in but for now more then likely they will not be back soon if they do come back i think it will be near the complete end of the show

Cazak

When Wings Fly High
I think AG was the worst of all(just saying my opinion). And as for Butterfree, Pidgeot, and Primeape, if we look at it rationally, Butterfree could be anywhere in the world, so there's not much chance of it returning. As for Pidgeot and Primeape, Ash said that they would meet again someday, and considering that their whereabouts are known, they could appear again, but given the time period, it seems unlikely.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
Primeape is a joke. And Ash had reasons to release Lapras, Butterfree, and Pidgeot. Not saying Butterfree and Pidgeot were weak Pokemon, but Ash has stronger Pokemon in his arsenal, although I wish he had gone back to visit Pidgeot (and possibly Lapras and Butterfree as well) like he promised

ijea4444

DP was better. No matter how far the series goes the indigo league will be the second worst saga, it doesn't mean it was terrible, its just a victim of its time. Theres nothing that could have been done, I don't like to say it, but its true.

I would love to see Primeape comeback and use Insomnia to counter Darkrai. It is like combining the predicted insomnia noctowl with sleep talk heracross, but unlike noctowl primeape can use fighting type attacks and unlike heracross primape doesn't have to rely on random moves from sleep talk.

I wish it could happen, but chances are it isn't and there is no point in getting our hopes up.