• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pika and Goliath (542)

cassius335

Aura Trainer
Raichu is stronger than Pikachu. If Pikachu were to evolve, he would pwn everyone! Given that Ash kept the Thunderstone, he has to evolve sometime. Who does Pikachu think he is, Peter Pan?

Evolution is not age.

Rex Kamex

What I don't get is how some people think having Pikachu evolve is a top priority in the show. Everyone has their opinions, but for some people it seems like... well, this...

The series is a very repetetive show where Ash goes from region to region to collect badges (and there's a new girl character doing contests and getting her bike destroyed) based on a repetitive game series. It's full of plot holes and inconsistencies (is that a word, I for got) and plenty of one shot characters who we never see again (even though Ash promises to meet many of them again). Many of the people of the Pokemon series become stale. The GS Ball was one plot hole that hasn't been resolved for hundreds of episodes, Etc.

But if Pikachu evolves, the show will be an awesome series again. (Just like Kanto.)

For the record, I'm not saying I agree with all of the things I said in that long paragraph.

Raichu is stronger than Pikachu.

That depends on the Raichu and the Pikachu. And if Pikachu can still beat Raichu, it doesn't really matter.

If Pikachu were to evolve, he would pwn everyone!

That's not necessarilly true. In fact, that's... just not true.

Given that Ash kept the Thunderstone, he has to evolve sometime.

That's... also not true.

Lord Dialga said:
Pikachu is NOT the most popular Pokemon anymore.

It's not the only popular Pokemon. However, to this day, if there's one Pokemon a person could remember, it's Pikachu.

I can name quite a few Pokemon that make Pikachu look small. Lucario, Charizard, Mewtwo, Darkrai, Piplup...

While those are popular Pokemon (actually, I don't know how popular Charizard is in Japan), Pikachu is still the most famous and recognized. (If they got rid of Ash and Pikachu and made a new Trainer be the main character in the Pokemon series, they'd make him or her have a Pikachu as well.) Piplup and Lucario have only been around for a few years, while Pikachu has been at least known for over thirteen years. I see Darkrai losing popularity pretty soon in Japan due to the debut of a certain other event Pokemon...

there are many other Pokemon that would have been better mascots.

... And that's another problem. The thing is that if Japan did decide to make a new main mascot for Pokemon, there would be so many arguments on who the Pokemon would be. No matter what they select, there will be complaints on who the mascot is. And since we already have a main mascot that people are complaining about, we might as well keep it.

Pikachu's powers aren't even legitimate! They affect Ground-type Pokemon, which is supposed to be immune to Electricity.

The anime is not the same as the games. (Which means that Pikachu evolving might not be as significant as it is in the games. And it's not really that significant in the games, either.) Even so, if Pikachu can hurt ground types with electricity, then it doesn't need to evolve so badly.

Geodude

Pikachu's electric attacks do not normally affect Ground-types, no. We've seen this many times. When they do work, there's almost always some other factor to be taken into account, such as the presence of water. But that is completely irrelevant to this episode and therefore does not need to be discussed in this thread.

Awesome battle at the end. Some people complain about the number of times we see Pokemon beating their evolved forms in the show, but think about it this way: How many times do superheroes have to go up against opponents who are stronger than they are? And yet the heroes usually still find a way to win. This is no different. Just because one Pokemon is stronger than another doesn't mean it will win every single fight.

Meezu

Given the Light Ball item, Pikachu is actually a much more effective and powerful sweeper than Raichu is. Therefore, the argument "Raichu is stronger than Pikachu" holds less water if you're talking about Raichu vs Pikachu in general.

Also, considering the anime franchise is centered around Pikachu, and has been for over a decade, there's no way in hell that they would jump the shark by evolving him. It would be like Harry Potter siding with Voldemort, or Homer Simpson giving up doughnuts forever and getting a Ph D in medicine.

On a side note, I love Raichu. It's always in the background, and it's always overshadowed by adorable Pichu and popular Pikachu =(

MarshtompMan

DestinyTrainer 10yrs
... And that's another problem. The thing is that if Japan did decide to make a new main mascot for Pokemon, there would be so many arguments on who the Pokemon would be. No matter what they select, there will be complaints on who the mascot is. And since we already have a main mascot that people are complaining about, we might as well keep it.

Imagine if the mascot was Porygon.

Rudoku

Your mom
I really don't care that the "mascot" of Pokemon evolving would have ticked off every kid in Japan. Only older kids like us are the real fans. This episode was another unneeded Pikachu screener, and I wish it had never been made or announced.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHA! Are you serious? You need to get out more if you really think that. I bet you think Naruto is for older kids, too, don't you?

Bliksem

The Quirky Quilava
There's a difference between thinking Pikachu will evolve and wanting him to evolve. Personally, I would have prefered evolution or a new move to debut. Just for something different, honestly. I have to say, it was very amusing out of all the moves those Pokemon can learn, their movesets were... almost identical. Volt Tackle, Iron Tail, Thunderbolt.... Hyper Beam and Quick Attack were the only differences. I should really show my mate this episode cause he constantly references the fact that Raichu is a fat***. I'm glad that in my story, the Raichu I'm focusing on doesn't share a single attack with these guys.

EDIT: I'm really confused (and slightly worried) about what they're going to do to Paul's character. He seems to be genuinely shocked that a Pokemon of lower evolutionary stance can overcome something much more advanced. I hope they don't make him change, or perhaps, they could make an event that affirms his own beliefs.

Last edited:

ZgonDuck

Like A Boss
If Pika DID evolved, then it wouldn't matter.

The show is still the same show, just with an orange guy instead of Yellow. He would continue to struggle against opponents because that's how the show is written. If it's not Pikachu, it's Raichu. Honestly, people piss me off so much that when they think that Pikachu will evolve after 10 years. That is a horrible move from a financial, popularity, and general standpoint.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Well just seen the episode & i think that it was a good one. Also i like the fact that Raichu knew Volt Tackle attack & that was really a suprise for me. Also i liked how Raichu was using its tail as a weapon to stop its foe from escaping.
Ok i would like someone to clarify me something. Did that guy tried to trade Pikachu with one of his other pokemon at the starting of the episode. Also what did Team Rocket plan to do with the Thunder Stone at the end of the episode.

Geodude

Ok i would like someone to clarify me something. Did that guy tried to trade Pikachu with one of his other pokemon at the starting of the episode.
No. I just got the impression that he's an Electric-type trainer who was taunting Pikachu for not being fully evolved. Granted, he has a Pichu, but I think he was training it to fully evolve as well.

Geodude

[img139]http://www.geoscreens.com/ash/dp074pikasvisionblurs.jpg[/img139]

I thought this was a great touch. Lots of times, even after rough battles, we see Pokemon look pretty beat up just before collapsing, but here we got to see Pikachu's vision blur, and see the last thing Pikachu saw before it collapsed.

Bryon

Moveset Comp Judge
[img139]http://www.geoscreens.com/ash/dp074pikasvisionblurs.jpg[/img139]

I thought this was a great touch. Lots of times, even after rough battles, we see Pokemon look pretty beat up just before collapsing, but here we got to see Pikachu's vision blur, and see the last thing Pikachu saw before it collapsed.

That does make the scene even MORE dramatic!! O_O And that is a firist for the anime too!

Bryon

uber gon

Accept Change

uber gon

Accept Change
Pikachu forgets Thunder at the beginning of every journey...he'll know it again in the league, lol.

Oh, I thought it was the writers avoiding making Pikachu TOO powerful. Not that it already is, but it's nice to see it beat once in a while.