• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pika and Goliath (542)

Pikachu will never, ever, EVER evolve.
It will be a cold day in July before he does.

So, did Ash get his thunderstone back from TR, or not?
It's been a while since I've seen this episode, so I forget if he still has it.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Paul is a jerk! Just because all of his Pokemon is evolved doesn't mean that everyone should evolve thiers in order to become strong. However, I thought that Sho should have been Ash's second rival instead of Barry. If only they didn't make his voice so terrible.

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
Paul was absolutely right! Ash should have evolved his Pikachu.... even if Pikachu is really strong in its present form. Anyway evolving it won't change its relationship with Ash

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
If Pikachu evolved, it would make it harder for Pikachu to be more active as it is now. It wouldn't be able to be on Ash's back anymore(too heavy), it wouldn't be one of the advertising Pokemon along with the other starter Pokemon anymore and it just wouldn't be the same. Maybe if Ash was way older then maybe it would see more mature to match the age. But since Ash is still 10, Pikachu still suits him.

G50

No longer posting
This episode was cool. It was great to see another Pikachu vs Raichu rivalry episode for the 1st time in years. It was interesting to find out that Ash kept the Thunderstone all those seasons just in case Pikachu decided to evolve into Raichu. It was cool to see Raichu use Hyper Beam, interesting how the other attacks are the same as Pikachu's. The strategy in the rematch was so cool. I'm glad Pikachu finally defeated Raichu in the end. Odd how Pikachu actually gave the Thunderstone to TR...

100/100

I knew Pikachu was going to beat Raichu, and not evolve.

Brownie

Anti Drew & paul fan
This episode sucks, and here's why:

#12: Pika and Goliath!

This episode begins with the cast eating, when Piplup slaps food from Pikachu's hands. The two rush to get it, when a Pichu eats it in front of them. The Pichu turns out to belong to a guy named Sho, who wants the whole Pichu family (he only has Pichu and Raichu), and also has an annoying voice.. He offeres to trade for Pikachu, but of course Ash declines. So Ash's Pikachu and Sho's Raichu battle it out, and unlike in the Surge Battle, speed can't save Ash this time. In fact, the battle is one-sided, and Pikachu goes down easily after a Hyper Beam to a rock.

After that, Sho walks away, and Paul is shoehorned into the episode, all to comment that Pikachu should evolve if it wants to stand a chance, then just goes away. Exactly what was the purpose of his appearance? I don't know, either.

Anyway, we then see them at the Pokemon Center, where everyone is worried about Pikachu. Then, in a rehash of Electric Shock Showdown, Pikachu goes off to train after it gets healed. Also, Team Rocket steals the Thunderstone...to...sell it to go further in their plan to capture Pikachu. Yawn...

The next day, Ash and Sho have a rematch. As expected, Pikachu wins the second round, though instead of speed this time, he wins through endurance and tactics. Still a rehash...

Team Rocket cheers in the background, while douchebag Paul just walks away.

Again, why is he in this episode? Just to stalk Ash? We don't even find out if he still thinks Pikachu should evolve, he's just there for fanservice...or something...

...Moving on. Then, like most other episode endings, they say goodbye and walk off into the sunset to continue their journey.

Conclusion: This episode could have been better if the basic structure wasn't rehashed from Electric Shock Showdown, and if the writers didn't have an undying love for Paul and Team Rocket.

Last edited:

Rohanator

This episode sucks, and here's why:

#12: Pika and Goliath

This episode begins with the cast eating, when Piplup slaps food from Pikachu's hands. The two rush to get it, when a Pichu eats it in front of them. The Pichu turns out to belong to a guy named Sho, who wants the whole Pichu family (he only has Pichu and Raichu), and also has an annoying voice.. He offeres to trade for Pikachu, but of course Ash declines. So Ash's Pikachu and Sho's Raichu battle it out, and unlike in the Surge Battle, speed can't save Ash this time. In fact, the battle is one-sided, and Pikachu goes down easily after a Hyper Beam to a rock.

After that, Sho walks away, and Paul is shoehorned into the episode, all to comment that Pikachu should evolve if it wants to stand a chance, then just goes away. Exactly what was the purpose of his appearance? I don't know, either.

Anyway, we then see them at the Pokemon Center, where everyone is worried about Pikachu. Then, in a rehash of Electric Shock Showdown, Pikachu goes off to train after it gets healed. Also, Team Rocket steals the Thunderstone...to...sell it to go further in their plan to capture Pikachu. Yawn...

The next day, Ash and Sho have a rematch. As expected, Pikachu wins the second round, though instead of speed this time, he wins through endurance and tactics. Still a rehash...

Team Rocket cheers in the background, while douchebag Paul just walks away.

Again, why is he in this episode? Just to stalk Ash? We don't even find out if he still thinks Pikachu should evolve, he's just there for fanservice...or something...

...Moving on. Then, like most other episode endings, they say goodbye and walk off into the sunset to continue their journey.

Conclusion: This episode could have been better if the basic structure wasn't rehashed from Electric Shock Showdown, and if the writers didn't have an undying love for Paul and Team Rocket.
It was like an improvement of Electric Shock Showdown, the battles were much better(imo at least). + It revealed what happened to that Thunderstone and gave it closure. And why is Paul watching the events a bad thing, it's good that he saw this, since it makes Ash's Pikachu seem more like a threat, might give our main character here a bit more respect. And TR actually had some meaning to the plot, getting rid of the stone, unlike most episodes when they're there just cause they have to appear in every episode. This episode definitely isn't the only Pokemon episode with a "rehashed" plot. At least it introduced a major character trait of Pikachu to the new audiences.

Brownie

Anti Drew & paul fan
It was like an improvement of Electric Shock Showdown, the battles were much better(imo at least). + It revealed what happened to that Thunderstone and gave it closure. And why is Paul watching the events a bad thing, it's good that he saw this, since it makes Ash's Pikachu seem more like a threat, might give our main character here a bit more respect. And TR actually had some meaning to the plot, getting rid of the stone, unlike most episodes when they're there just cause they have to appear in every episode. This episode definitely isn't the only Pokemon episode with a "rehashed" plot. At least it introduced a major character trait of Pikachu to the new audiences.

The battles here were good, that much I'll admit.

This definitely isn't the first (or the last) rehash, but this one also isn't good.

My issue is that unfunny TR and douchebag Paul felt shoehorned for no reason.

First off, I remember how miserable Sarah Natochenny was in this episode. Extremely forced and unnatural...so that makes it lose points right off the bat.

What a copy of "Electric Shock Showdown," am I right? The only real improvements were the battles.

Didn't know Sho was a hillbilly from Japan, either, TPCi.

Because, you know, they are so much different from 4Kids.

One of the worst episodes in the whole franchise, and what a way to troll the fandom.

Nurse Joy couldn't sound any less concerned. SO much emotion in this one, I swear.

Unacceptable.

Another point to note: DuArt's dub BGM is absolute crap. Look, I'm sorry, it sucked so much and saps any emotion I may have been able to get from the scenes.

Dub: 55/100

Last edited:

Caseydia

Ace Trainer

Thank you. Just thank you. I don't know why people complain so much about episodes like these when there are more horrible ones out there. This is way better than anything back in Kanto so it's a step up. The writers have really done wonderfully and I wish some people would see that. The reason why they rehashed the "evolution" plot was to remind new and old viewers that Pikachu wasn't going to evolve anytime soon and that it's just as strong the way it is. They don't make episodes like this so that people can moan and b*tch all the time.

Last edited:

Brownie

Anti Drew & paul fan
Thank you. Just thank you. I don't know why people complain so much about episodes like these when there are more horrible ones out there.

Maybe because it sucks? And no one said this was the worst.

Also, we're not discussing any other episode, we're discussing "Pika and Goliath!".

This is way better than anything back in Kanto so it's a step up. The writers have really done wonderfully and I wish some people would see that. The reason why they rehashed the "evolution" plot was to remind new and old viewers that Pikachu wasn't going to evolve anytime soon and that it's just as strong the way it is. They don't make episodes like this so that people can moan and b*tch all the time.

They didn't make the Da! arc, Team Magma/Aqua arc, Johto, etc. so people can complain, but...it happens. Everyone complains about something. They could have reestablished that Pikachu won't evolve in many different, more original ways. Even something more like "Stopped In The Name of Love!" could have worked.

If you like it more than any Kanto episode, more power to you, I just personally don't.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Maybe because it sucks? And no one said this was the worst.

Also, we're not discussing any other episode, we're discussing "Pika and Goliath!".

They didn't make the Da! arc, Team Magma/Aqua arc, Johto, etc. so people can complain, but...it happens. Everyone complains about something. They could have reestablished that Pikachu won't evolve in many different, more original ways. Even something more like "Stopped In The Name of Love!" could have worked.

If you like it more than any Kanto episode, more power to you, I just personally don't.

I don't really like the kanto saga either. If you've read any of my comment before that than you'll know. And for your info I was speaking about the Pika and Goliath episode and it's similarity to the one in Kanto. That's all. Jut because some people think it was a rehash shouldn't make a judgment on something over 5 years down the road. I liked this episode, however, with the way it was done was better than in the older saga as far as animation and battles is concerned. The story was done well. Anyone who doesn't see that needs to get their eyes checked.

Brownie

Anti Drew & paul fan
I don't really like the kanto saga either. If you've read any of my comment before that than you'll know. And for your info I was speaking about the Pika and Goliath episode and it's similarity to the one in Kanto. That's all. Jut because some people think it was a rehash shouldn't make a judgment on something over 5 years down the road. I liked this episode, however, with the way it was done was better than in the older saga as far as animation and battles is concerned. The story was done well. Anyone who doesn't see that needs to get their eyes checked.

I get your point, but my dislike of this episode isn't just about it being a rehash - it's because it sucks.

The story might be decent if not compared to ESS, but it's still not that great to me (TR and paul did NOT need to be in it). And what do you mean "get their eyes checked"? Anyone who's seen the episode is qualified to judge how they feel about the plot.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I get your point, but my dislike of this episode isn't just about it being a rehash - it's because it sucks.

The story might be decent if not compared to ESS, but it's still not that great to me (TR and paul did NOT need to be in it). And what do you mean "get their eyes checked"? Anyone who's seen the episode is qualified to judge how they feel about the plot.

First of all TR is in all episodes, so that's not really an issue. But to say an episode sucks and not even look the reason behind it is what makes it sad. They did it to show some kids who might have started watching DP to see why Pikachu is the way it is. They might do the same thing in about another few years later on down the road. The episode wasn't really for those who have watched the OS it's for the recent of aged kids getting to know the anime.

Brownie

Anti Drew & paul fan
First of all TR is in all episodes, so that's not really an issue. But to say an episode sucks and not even look the reason behind it is what makes it sad. They did it to show some kids who might have started watching DP to see why Pikachu is the way it is. They might do the same thing in about another few years later on down the road. The episode wasn't really for those who have watched the OS it's for the recent of aged kids getting to know the anime.

They are in all pre BW and post-PICU episodes, but what I'm saying is that they contributed little to nothing to the plot.

I know they made it to establish to the new audience that Pikachu will not evolve, but there were so many other ways they could have done it. I mean, I may not like "A Faux Oak Finish", but at least that's not a copy of "Will The Real Professor Oak Please Stand Up?".

NPT

Just a member
This episode's plot was quite similar to the Kanto saga episode "Electric Shock Showdown", but I think this episode has some good points too......
- It has better animation.
- Better strategies was used in this episode( Pikachu's Iron tail was cool )
- The 2nd battle between Pikachu and Raichu was good.
- That Raichu was more stronger than Lt. Surge's Raichu.
- Flashbacks from "Electric Shock Showdown" ( at least there was continuity ).