• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pikachu is Born! (1090)

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Wholesome, but still, we're still missing a piece of Pika's backstory, and there was a bit to much of Go/Koharu

ShadowForce720

I didn't like this episode because it dragged for too long and wasted a lot of opportunity. Too much of nothing happening with Pichu (though it was adorable) and too much of Go and Koharu.

I thought we got scenes of Ash and Oak having a conversation about Ash's journey so far? Or something like that, maybe it was never supposed to be in the show and they scrapped it or whatnot, because I can't imagine it happening in the 2nd episode.

Go and Koharu scenes really should've been spliced throughout the early episodes because

It kind of makes the the upcoming Mew episode rather pointless in a lot of regard because you already told the story now as opposed to making it relevant in that episode

A large chunk of the Pichu story felt really pointless, because it basically removed why Pikachu is afraid of Poke balls (unless I missed that somehow) as well as Oak catching Pikachu to give to Ash. All I remember is Pikachu evolving into Pichu (Edit: And I totally meant the opposite, I think I was trying to say it evolved FROM Pichu), suddenly Ash is 10 and gets Pikachu without ANY story on how it ended at Oak's lab. Guess we have to wait another 20 years to figure that one out (unless I missed something).

I guess a lot of the issues I had with this episode, is that they were trying to cram SO much into this episode, when it felt like it should've been broken into two. Like have the episode primarily be about Pichu, with very little focus on Koharu and Go (just so they were in the same scene with Mew and baby Kangaskhan), have it evolve and be caught.

While the 2nd episode could be half about Go and Koharu going to Oak's lab (with both characters reminiscing it about it in the present), then also the other half could be about Ash, Pikachu and Professor Oak getting ready to head into the Lugia episode (the next day).

Just way too much crammed into this episode, with a lot of it feeling pointless or not needed while leaving a lot more interesting things out.

My best guess is that it felt like it was a burden to the Kangaskhan, and it didn't want them to waste any more effort or resources on it.

That's because the scene your talking about with Ash and Oak in the car in conversing happens in episode 2 not episode 1, episode 1 was just specifically focus on showing Pikachu's backstory and showing Ash, Gou, and Koharu when they were 6 years old and showing Gou and Koharu at the summer camp. Plus the whole idea behind episode 1 & 2 being set up this way was that episode 1 would cause people to talk about it and then people would hear about it and would be able to jump in from episode 2. So basically episode 2 is the actual start of the series where will stay in the present timeline.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

Nidoking using Fire Blast against Mew only for it to roast it with its own was easily the best part of the episode

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Hmm, what if Pikachu wanted to be left alone to not feel like a burden like what he felt he was being to Kangaskhan, so he acted insufferably to Ash to be left alone, but then in the spearow scene from ep 1 Ash proved that he'd stick to him no matter what and the rest is history? IDK, this is the only way I can find to link Pikachu's different attitudes in this episode and OS 1.

Rohanator

The idea that Pikachu learned to not be a burden to others and that's why he was cold towards Satoshi and why Satoshi going so far for him in the Spearow scene impacted him so much, is really touching and more interesting to me than him being abandoned or something.

That might be a generous interpretation of this episode, but I assume this is all we'll get so I'll run with it. The time between this and Pikachu meeting Satoshi, including how he was captured, is still left in the dark so your headcanons live another day. (they might've done that intentionally, when you've already held back on a character's backstory for two decades and the show shows no signs of ending any time soon it'd be reckless to just randomly throw it out there, if they get more ideas for it later they can still add to it this way)

edit: (damn got ninja'd on the burden idea lol)

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
The idea that Pikachu learned to not be a burden to others and that's why he was cold towards Satoshi and why Satoshi going so far for him in the Spearow scene impacted him so much, is really touching and more interesting to me than him being abandoned or something.

That might be a generous interpretation of this episode, but I assume this is all we'll get so I'll run with it. The time between this and Pikachu meeting Satoshi, including how he was captured, is still left in the dark so your headcanons live another day. (they might've done that intentionally, when you've already held back on a character's backstory for two decades and the show shows no signs of ending any time soon it'd be reckless to just randomly throw it out there, if they get more ideas for it later they can still add to it this way)

edit: (damn got ninja'd on the burden idea lol)
Nah, I took it from you on twitter and I added the bit about Pikachu wanting Ash to leave him. I was going to give you credit, but I had some issues with wording that and adding the other part, sorry

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
This episode alone is better than most that SM and XY put out!

I do wish they had touched on Pikachu's hatred of Pokeballs though, that's the part of his backstory that people were primarily interested in.
And it was straight awesome getting to see a Nidoking again!

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Well, that was a lotta nothing. This episode only confirmed that, yes, Pikachu was a Pichu (in a sea of Gen 1 Pokemon), and that Go and Koharu were at Pallet Town before (this place attracts main characters when they were 5). Pikachu having such a strong encounter with Kangaskhan's baby is kind of useless, since he apparently forgets about reminiscing about it after he evolves. So the next time he sees another Kangaskhan, he's all like, "oh, hey."

The fact he just randomly got a hatred for being captured out of nowhere but yet this episode didn't explain why and how he got captured were perhaps the biggest missed opportunities that we will never know, and it's implausible how he would dislike that if he was such a sweet friend to that baby. I'm sure these are what everyone watching this episode wanted to know.

I feel like we didn't need to see Go and Koharu to give Pikachu more screen time to get to the part where this old geezer caught him.

Last edited:

Rohanator

Anyone else immediately thrown off by younger Satoshi not being voiced by Rica Matsumoto? I wonder if she herself didn't wanna strain her voice by going higher or if the casters didn't think she could pull it off anymore. I feel like we'll get a lot more flashbacks to the past this series, would they really cast a new actor for just a few lines in one episode?

Nah, I took it from you on twitter and I added the bit about Pikachu wanting Ash to leave him. I was going to give you credit, but I had some issues with wording that and adding the other part, sorry
Oh haha, all good!

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Anyone else immediately thrown off by younger Satoshi not being voiced by Rica Matsumoto? I wonder if she herself didn't wanna strain her voice by going higher or if the casters didn't think she could pull it off anymore. I feel like we'll get a lot more flashbacks to the past this series, would they really cast a new actor for just a few lines in one episode?

Oh haha, all good!

Yeah it was strange. Rica has done young Satoshi in the past before, best exemplified by his first encounter with Serena. And Ikue Otani voiced Pichu in this very same episode, so it's quite strange nonetheless.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
This was the first episode to make it feel like a real anime. The pacing was very weird for Pokemon but very nice imo. It is hard to explain but this just felt like watching Naruto or Bleach and not Pokemon. (Not saying that is a bad thing) If this is what the future holds it feels like a fusion of season 1 and XY and I am here waiting to see where they go next.

I just want them to find the baby all grown up in this series and maybe Ash catches him or Pikachu explains why he ditched him

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
I liked getting to know a little of Go and Koharu's back story. I think it's cute that they're childhood friends (and that Koharu is his only friend.) I wonder if Ash will feel like a third wheel around them since he didn't have a childhood friend unless Gary counts? Speaking of Gary, with Go being a know it all with an ego, he really reminds me of Gary with a dash of Ash mixed in due to all of the excitement Go has.

I'm actually surprised Go and Koharu saw a Mew at the camp but I like how they tied everything together for the sake of continuity, like how Pikachu was there when Go and Koharu witnessed Mew saving the Khangastan baby.

I felt bad for Pikachu because he seemed to feel like a burden but I wish he would have told Khangastan that he was leaving. Also, my heart broke for Ash seeing him curled up in his bed next to his alarm clock.

Over all, this was an enjoyable episode. I love learning characters' back stories. Really excited for this saga.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
That was an incredibly anemic and lackluster start to a brand new series

Really should've saved all the Go and Koharu stuff for a more relevant time

Everything with pichu was rather boring and added nothing to Pikachu's character because he's surly by the time he's picked by Ash and we see nothing of why he's like that

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I liked it. Like mentioned, it felt like a typical introductory episode, but that’s not a bad thing.

Pikachu’s backstory was fine for what it was. Honestly I did expect more (why he doesn’t like Pokéballs, why he’s so averse to humans), but seeing Pikachu bond with Kangaskhan and its baby was sweet. I do like the implication that since Pikachu felt like such a burden, he adopted an untrusting persona to adapt to independence, and that’s why Ash being the one to go out of his way to protect Pikachu was so important. But again, that’s all really subtext and reading between the lines. I do hope we at least have more flashbacks showing as to why Pikachu was the way he was, but overall it was nice seeing his past and evolution.

I like Gō so far too, but Koharu....eh. First impressions are that she seems pretty boring, and the tired old “sensible girl is best friends with hotheaded boy” dynamic is alive and well with them. We have at least a hint that she’ll have some sass in her with how she talks with/about Gō, so there’s still hope yet.

The way everything tied together was neat. I liked how the important stuff happened without Ash; proving that yes, indeed, the world doesn’t entirely revolve around him. Someone better be grateful that Ash didn’t miss her summer camp...

The art was good. Not super impressive, but just enough for a debut episode. Pikachu evolving in particular was a really pretty scene with the nighttime setting and puddle reflection; reminded me of scenes from the DP/BW days.

In all, it was good. Not as good as it could’ve been, but solid still. I maintain this should’ve been a double ep special but whatever, next week looks exciting. The little preview animation with Ash and Gō is also so cute.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
For years, I've been saying that the JP version would gain a lot of watchability if Inuko Inuyama, Masafumi Mima, and Shinji Miyazaki were all let go from it.
I don't know what caused Miyazaki to be succeeded by Yuuki Hayashi, but making that call was by far OLM's best decision all decade. 22 years' worth of S. Miyazaki music just got shown up by one episode's worth of Hayashi music. That is no small feat, especially considering the only thing he did differently from Miyazaki was not overvolume his music by letting one instrument play so loud that it drowns out most everything else (that was always Miyazaki's biggest and most frequent folly). Kudos to you, Hayashi!
Yeah, at least for now, the music problem's been fixed! Now keep it fixed, then fix the voices, and the JP version will finally be of equal quality to the dub.

As for the episode itself, it was nice. I could've done without the narration, even though it was nice that it didn't reach the extent that the worst SM episode reached. Also, there's still a big gap in Pikachu's story from when he evolved to when he met Ash, but maybe that'll be explored later. I'm satisfied with what we got.

Oh, and the OP is bland. I've heard shonen stuff like this before.

The new saga's off to a good start.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I wonder why Pichu didn't wake until the Kangaskhan duo were awake so it would express its departure and have it evolve into Pikachu under their watch?

Also, Pikachu being upset for being Ash's 1st Pokemon is probably because it got overjoyed of its freedom that it didn't pay attention of a Pokeball falling into it by Professor Oak while he was lecturing to the kids about how to capture a Pokemon, which was my imagination btw because this wasn't shown in the episode at all.

About the 2 new companions, Go seems to have similar to Ash, highly passionate about anything about Pokemon, until he saw Mew which would eventually be his lifetime goal from the current timeline because he saw it when he was younger, along with Koharu.

Speaking of Korahu, she seems to be more of a cautious girl, following the rules and would most likely scold the boys for being careless, kinda like my OC girl from my Serena fan project, except not being badass. And from the ending credits, she looks like she's into ballet with the way she dances.

The episode was ok. Again, its different from the 1st episodes of XY in which Ash is already doing badass things and SM who makes ridiculous faces.

I wonder if it’ll be explained why Go hasn’t set off on a journey yet. If the subs are accurate he said he wanted to find Mew as son as he turned 10 and became a trainer.

ballinamon

I wonder if it’ll be explained why Go hasn’t set off on a journey yet. If the subs are accurate he said he wanted to find Mew as son as he turned 10 and became a trainer.
For the trailers and the episode I'm guessing that is because he's going to school? or more like he is still registered as a student in a normal no pokemon school and he can't go very far for long periods of time unlike Ash that doesn't go to normal school and he and Delia seems to give 0 f*cks about normal education.