• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pikachu is Born! (1090)

Arroz Nero

Poke-noob
Mm meh, I wanted to know more, specially how Prof. Oak catched Pikachu, he looked and sounded so grumpy that I wonder what the heck happened. I think the problem was how they advertised this episode I expected more information and feels. I did liked how the Pichu said "pikachu" just before evolving, nice detail.

I liked Go, he imitated perfectly Ash including his voldemort survivor marks. It seems like they are gonna share one braincell.
About Koharu, meh, lets see how they develop her.

The music was pretty normal and I agree that it gives a different feel, but that ost of Mew trolling Nidoking was damn awful and aside from that it was kind of misplaced. The one when Ash is sad because he missed the camp is normal but at least it feels right. Btw when I saw Ash like that my heart was broken.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
In my opinion, this is the greatest episode ever.

Now this is how you introduce the world of Pokemon. It's only the first episode but it's so well directed that I already think Pocket Monster's 2019 is easily the better than all the previous series to the point that the quality of all the previous series before it seems very underwhelming compared to just this one episode. I never thought I say this for the Pokemon anime but the artwork caught my interest, this episode now gives me high hopes for the series. Please. Please actually be good this time. I don't mean Pokemon good. I mean anime good in-general. Not like Shonen anime but the kind that captures the imagination of a child like Ghibli.

Sham

The Guardian of War
So is anyone getting major Iris vibes from Go in terms of being a know it all-snark master-who insults Ash?

Sham

The Guardian of War
Yeah!

The difference is that Go looks more aesthetically pleasing (and is a guy) so the fandom won't hate on him as much. :eek:
Honestly they even gave them the same drop out of school plot. I’m preparing to side eye anyone who appreciates these traits in Go but hated Iris for it and same with Koharu since people are begging her to be snarky like we don’t all remember the last time they tired that.

edit: hopefully she Misty and Lillie get the appearances they deserve

Last edited:

Ultra Beast Lover

Honestly they even gave them the same drop out of school plot. I’m preparing to side eye anyone who appreciates these traits in Go but hated Iris for it and same with Koharu since people are begging her to be snarky like we don’t all remember the last time they tired that.
I don't mind if they're snarky, just so long as they're not annoying and say the same line 27000000000 times. As for the school thing, I personally don't mind that either because this is the Pokemon world. Just like with the duel school in Yugioh, there's only so many "theories of battles" or, "strategy 101" classes you can take before you have to just learn stuff on your own. If Go and Iris felt like a Pokemon school was useless to them and wasn't helping them get better then yeah they should just drop out.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I don't mind if they're snarky, just so long as they're not annoying and say the same line 27000000000 times. As for the school thing, I personally don't mind that either because this is the Pokemon world. Just like with the duel school in Yugioh, there's only so many "theories of battles" or, "strategy 101" classes you can take before you have to just learn stuff on your own. If Go and Iris felt like a Pokemon school was useless to them and wasn't helping them get better then yeah they should just drop out.
The catch phrase was annoying but I’m discussing how people made Iris out to be a horrible bully that held Ash at gun point to travel with her. The double standard would be ridiculous if either one of them would be praised for doing the exact same thing she did. Agreed at the school point; I just found it funny how they’re probably the most alike characters the anime has had; even sharing a back story. I suppose it is a bit too early to know for sure though how similar they are however

Arroz Nero

Poke-noob
Oh, please. Go and Iris don't even have the same skin colo-

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-
Iris is a bit darker though

Hoping they don't copy page and give him that attitude and create him an original personality, but to know that we have to see a couple more of episodes

keepitsimple

site of lies
nobody who hates iris has a good, non-hypocritical reason to

anyway the episode was a nice introduction to the franchise though since I'm already familiar with the show it was kind of boring. i don't like that mew though because nidoking is one of my faves :c also kind of disappointing that Go isn't non-binary but oh well

Konja7

The catch phrase was annoying but I’m discussing how people made Iris out to be a horrible bully that held Ash at gun point to travel with her. The double standard would be ridiculous if either one of them would be praised for doing the exact same thing she did. Agreed at the school point; I just found it funny how they’re probably the most alike characters the anime has had; even sharing a back story. I suppose it is a bit too early to know for sure though how similar they are however

It's too early to say Go and Iris are similar.

Not to mention, even if their personalities are similar, that doesn't mean Koharu orbGo's relationship with Ash will be similar.

I mean if the issue is that Iris critcized Ash, Misty also did this.

Last edited:

ballinamon

I think the school of Go is a normal school but is not confirmed.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Firstly, let's talk about the good. This episode was adorable. :D Pichu finding and being adopted by a Kangaskhan family? Adorable. Pichu evolving into Pikachu after remembering all the good times he spent with the Kangaskhan family? Adorable. Mew roasting a Nidoking with his own attacks? Adorable. Mew in general? Adorable. Yep, this episode was adorable.

Now, then... To be honest, I was expecting to see more of Pikachu's backstory from this episode. How did he end up in Professor Oak's hands, for instance? And I would have liked to see a bit more of his first days with Ash from his point of view. IMHO, we didn't need Gou's backstory shoved into this episode. This episode should have focused entirely on Pichu/Pikachu, and Gou's backstory should have either been saved for another episode or given to us in doses over the course of a few episodes (the latter of which I think would have been more interesting).

I have not read all of the posts in this thread yet, but I'm going to assume I am not the only one who found Gou a little annoying in this episode. Hopefully, he gets better. Either that, or he is going to serve as a good foil and make Ash look like a saint in comparison.

The idea that Pikachu learned to not be a burden to others and that's why he was cold towards Satoshi and why Satoshi going so far for him in the Spearow scene impacted him so much, is really touching and more interesting to me than him being abandoned or something.
I like this theory, although I think there has to be more to it. Not wanting to be a burden for others does not necessarily equate to being a complete jerk*** to your new Trainer.

Rohanator

I like this theory, although I think there has to be more to it. Not wanting to be a burden for others does not necessarily equate to being a complete jerk*** to your new Trainer.
the idea there is basically that he'd try to make Satoshi leave him by being a jerk. I'd also be willing to believe that Pikachu just had some inherent mistrust towards humans due to being young and unfamiliar with them. But yeah what we got was vague enough to leave holes in pretty much any interpretation.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I finally found the time to watch it. This was a very cute episode and I loved how the designers and animators found a happy medium between using both SM style and a fusion of original and newer style. It touched my heart how Pichu evolved due to its friendship with the Kanghaskan family and knew it was time to leave. Little Ash, Go, and Koharu were really fun!

A very cute episode! Also, I really like the opening visuals and song.