• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pikachu is Born! (1090)

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
So yeah, the dub aired in Canada.

See you in three years. I don't even know why I bother.
Me neither. Nothing's stopping you from living your eternally biased life.
My opinion is irrelevant.

Boy have you got that right.
Was it so bad?
Not at all. The dub haters are wrong like always due to every word of their "criticisms" being rooted in bias. If they'd speak from something other than bias, they could be taken seriously.

Now, as for the episode, it's every bit as good as its JP self. Being as this is the saga that made me finally stop hating the JP version, I have no problem saying such a thing. It's just as cute and emotional in English as it was in Japanese both in terms of performances and music.

It helps to have not one but two composers (one for each version) who are good at their job working on this show, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
The dub haters are wrong like always due to every word of their "criticisms" being rooted in bias. If they'd speak from something other than bias, they could be taken seriously.
You may want to check the definitions of the word you keep throwing around, because it's been made abundantly clear you've been using them wrong.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
It isn't available anywhere so it can't be decided at this time whether it's good or not. I have no doubt that the new team will have improved the quality of the dub overall.
Fair enough. If you are a regular dub watcher I'm pretty sure you'll see an improvement in the voice acting (even I see Koharu sounds way better than Lillie ever did, for example). Keep in mind that I talk from a different perspective because I don't really care much about the English voices (except for the Pokémon ones) because the dub I want to watch is my country's, which I'm totally fine with acting wise. That's why most of my attention goes to the edits TPCi makes (aka the soundtrack), to know what to expect when I get to see my dub. What I don't like is the Mickey Mousing style music and the absence of silence and original tracks (1 was safe this time, continuing the trend of the last few years).

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Wait, the episodes don't bother to use any music sometimes?

That actually is a plus. It can give focus to the characters talking without some wacky music at play.

Fair enough. If you are a regular dub watcher I'm pretty sure you'll see an improvement in the voice acting (even I see Koharu sounds way better than Lillie ever did, for example). Keep in mind that I talk from a different perspective because I don't really care much about the English voices (except for the Pokémon ones) because the dub I want to watch is my country's, which I'm totally fine with acting wise.
Uh, well, if you can even tell Chloe's voice is a huge improvement over Lillie's, it's really not necessary to say your opinion shouldn't be taken.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Literally every other sound in existence is leaps and bounds better than Lillie's dub voice - there's nowhere to go BUT up in that regard
Actually... Michele Knotz is worse, especially her Jessie and Misty voices

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Actually... Michele Knotz is worse, especially her Jessie and Misty voices
Oddly enough, her May voice isn't that bad. Veronica Taylor still sounds better, but I still prefer hearing Michelle as May more than do hearing her play Misty or Jessie

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
This felt like a Chronicles episode.

It was interesting to see the dub use the official term for starters "First Partner Pokémon". I've known for a while that's what they're officially called, but I don't remember the last time it was said in the anime. And I personally in my daily life when I'm talking about it never use the term. I always call them starters.

Wow the WTP is different this time it just zooms in on the tail? I'm at least glad to see though that the name of the season appears on the screen for it, continuing the tradition from SM, after they stupidly dropped that tradition during XY.

Ash woke up at 7pm?!

Wow, that was the first main series episode in Pokémon history without Ash appearing in the present time.

It was kind of interesting how Chloe and Goh saw Pikachu as a Pichu even though Ash never did. It reminds me of how Serena saw Ash as a little kid before Misty ever met him. I wonder whether they'll ever find out Ash's Pikachu is the same one they saw as a Pichu.

Yeah it was strange. Rica has done young Satoshi in the past before, best exemplified by his first encounter with Serena. And Ikue Otani voiced Pichu in this very same episode, so it's quite strange nonetheless.

Not a good sign for people like me who hope this same camp was the one where he met Serena.

I wonder why Pichu didn't wake until the Kangaskhan duo were awake so it would express its departure and have it evolve into Pikachu under their watch?

Because he knew they would convince him to stay.

Sadly for us, it's been left next to what the hell happened between Brock and Prof. Ivy.

This isn't HBO

Yeah, not airing the episodes back-to-back lessens the impact of this episode since we have to wait a week for the series to actually start

It's definitely weird that they stopped the tradition of double- and triple-episode premieres which had gone on for 4 straight generations, JUST when it actually mattered!

I think the episode served as a nice origin story of Pikachu's character before he became Pikachu, though I think it dragged on a bit.
Ash breaking his alarm clock resulting him to miss the Camp was amusing, guess old habits die hard then.

Which is situated next to what the GS Ball subplot might've been had it resolved.

And the evil Malamar trio. And the Giovanni Nanu phone conversation. Etc etc etc. The list goes on!

Oh, please. Go and Iris don't even have the same skin colo-

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-

???

I liked how the episode never bothered to say that the Pichu that spent most of the episode doing nothing was Ash's Pikachu, and no, including a POV remake from the first episode doesn't mean it's one and the same

Should've at least shown Oak catching it or anything to make it relevant to the plot

Agreed, I hate it when outside information is assumed. I think that due to the advertising of this episode, everyone knew, BUT, you have to have the outside info of seeing the advertising for this episode to get it. It reminds me of N's debut episode. N just appears at the end of the episode with dramatic music. If you haven't played the games and don't know who N is, it's like, why is there this dramatic music for a random character. It's a bad directing choice because it makes the episode not timeless. If people are binging the show 10 years from now, they actually most likely won't know who N is, or in the case of this episode, will be a little confused that it's Ash's Pikachu. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if dub viewers who don't follow the show as part of a community like I do, actually were confused last night, at least to some extent. And as far as the N example is concerned, Dodgemaster Tim gives his take a lot better than I could explain it, in the bottom 4 paragraphs of this review: http://www.pokemopolis.com/episodes/unova/768.htm

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I’m curious if Oak caught Pikachu right after this episode or right before the first episode.Also curious if Oak ever used ot in battle though kinda doubt it.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Ultra Beast Lover

I wonder if this episode at all matters to the series as a whole besides introducing Go. Like will Pikachu have a small arc where he becomes curious about his adoptive family? I hope so. Pikachu, despite being the mascot, is underutilized. After a few episodes into a generation he takes a backseat as the plucky comic relief. That's why I love the baby Pokemon because at least then he can get a little focus.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
haha I'm not familiar with the reference
In Digimon Adventure 02, one episode ended with the narrator saying "Who is this dark undersea master? Find out next time on Digimon digital monsters." but that little subplot from that specific episode was never revisited.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I like this episode, it was a pretty good introduction to the pokemon world if you haven't seen anything yet which given it's on Netflix, I'd wager a lot of people haven't.