• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pikachu is not a mouse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zibdas

not bad
>electric mouse pokemon
>op says it's not a mouse
Wait wut.

Autis-misc

Abridger

pseudoman

pikachu- the pika pokemon.

Eh, guess its just me but it doesnt sound right. Sort of liek if they made meowth the meow pokemon or Seel the seal pokemon.

Lucaren

OU Trainer
Pikachu is a mouse...
It has been said many times that he is a electric mouse creature, like in the anime and even in wikipedia and bulbapedia....

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
>electric mouse pokemon
>op says it's not a mouse
Wait wut.

Like I said, the species doesn't always mean anything. So we have to go by his body style and such to determine its origin.

This whole discussion is a little pointless anyway. They've combined multiple animals before; Pikachu could easily be based on both for all we know. Or maybe not; it doesn't have to be an exact carbon copy of a real pika/mouse/whatever to be based on it.

Mudskippers are fish, not salamanders.

Oh, whoops, you're right. I was just going down the line of species names and caught that one, knowing that Mudkip didn't look like a fish. So I looked up mudskipper and reading quickly, I misunderstood the article I was reading. Sorry.

SlimShady

Kill your heroes
A Pika is a rabbit-like animal.
Pikachu is a rabbit-like animal and is not mouse-like.
My world has turned upside down!

Flare♥

Fire Team User
I was told this a while back and I thought the pika was the most cutest thing ever. But the reason they call it a mouse pokemon still is probably for the same reason on the first page, being it is far more well known.

Ohitsdylan

It's probably called a mouse because it looks more like one... Pika's don't have an external tail.
Pikachu clearly has a tail : P
Also the link provided says it is only named after a Pika
Gamefreak probably thought Pikachu sounded a lot better than Mousechu or Ratchu

Last edited:

xDWarrior

Yeah I've basically known this since I was 7.

DragonTrainerSilver

<-- Starving dragon
That's an excellent question...maybe the original writer's did not that pika's exist,not sure why it's not the pika poke'mon.

Grei

not the color
Of course, there's the possibility that it's still based on a mouse, but they just give Pokemon names that sound catchy, and a pika is mouse-like, so they just used that name.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
There's a reason why Pikachu's an "Electric Mouse" Pokemon.

Yeah, they also call Bidoof, Cyndaquil and Sandshrew mice. And Caterpie a worm. It doesn't mean much.

I don't know anything about Pikas, so beats me if it's based a mouse or a pika. It probably is based on a mouse, but the species name can't really be used as reliable evidence because of these examples.

sharkdude5

Master of Chaos
I'd say pikachus a mouse simply because the pokedex says it is and pikas dont have tails while pikachu does have a tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.