• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pikachu, What's This Key?

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Pikachu, What Kind of Keys Are these?

While playing, Pikachu and co. encounter the Pokémon, Klefki, who is able to open up portals to various worlds. Pikachu & Co. travel with Klefki through these various worlds, encountering various Mythical Pokémon such as Manaphy, Darkrai, Jirachi and Victini

Visit The Movie Guide

Discuss

(Note: This thread is not for speculation. If you haven't seen the movie yourself, limit your posts to direct replies to reports from those who have.)

DaDonYordel

The Gazing Eye
I like how Hawlucha does random poses, but I feel like he is out of place in this short, as if it was an older child amongst smaller children. There was no Bunnelbro in this as well, no Pumpkaboo, too.

nuzamaki90

The short was great and honestly I think it's my second favorite, second to the Pichu Bros.

Hawlucha spending most of his free-time posing was funny as all hell and I liked Pikachu and Dedenne's shenanigans. I just can't help but wonder why all of the cast's Pokemon weren't out playing, Pumpkaboo's weird “cha-cha”'s would have been ideal for some of these scenes.

Also, I can't believe they did the whole “hiding the main group's faces” again since we haven't seen that in a very long time.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
The sub found its way online, and I was at first hesitant to watch it, but talked myself into it. Let me just say that thank God it's so much better than Eevee & Friends. It's still a cute short, Pikachu shorts are always going to be cute, but it's not just cute, they actually did things relevant to the plot--in fact, there was a plot of sorts this time to balance out that pretty animation and cuteness, and I'm so happy for that. It's short, simple, and sweet, makes me think of "Pikachu and Pichu" in terms of having things other than "Pikachu and friends do cute things" throughout.

This was a bit of a creative short, I like the idea of there being keyholes that open to other worlds. It's a shame we don't see more of these worlds (Manaphy's world is my favorite), but I did like the idea. I doubt the Legendaries in these world really "exist", as I did honestly find it weird Jirachi didn't speak, but I'm not bothered by it. Klefki was fun to watch, and the narrator wasn't annoying (I feel I won't be able to say the same for the dub, however...). I'm also glad that Meowth and Wobbuffet (can't comment on Inkay as a character) were treated with some respect this time and weren't just shoved in the short just because. Usually they're the butt monkeys in these shorts, but nothing bad happened to them this time around.

So I was pleased with this one, and it's been a long time since I was last entertained by a Pikachu short. While I don't think it's as memorable as the earlier Pikachu shorts, it's far from being the worst one. I'd say it's decent at least, but good nonetheless. It was a nice way to ease the audience into the movie, and the quality of both the movie and the short matched in a good way.

Sydwinx

Queen of Hoopla
This was cute!

But, something I wanted to mention: Did anyone else get a PMD feeling when klefki unlocked the first world? The portal thing reminds me so much of the gate of time.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
Haven't seen a Pikachu short in a long time. They just stopped putting them out in North America and kept them all in Japan. Imma check this one out later on.

halloweenghost

this one was pretty good the end credits was worth it to me alone.. I almost teared up seeing the art style that was reminiscent to the old school early gen sugimori watercolor pokemon art :D

they looked alot like this old art style..

191d205w7wfsupng.png

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
Aww, I love Klefki, so I'll definitely have to check this one out! Thank you for the link, Serebii webmaster :)

A Klefki that can open Dimensional Portals? Do they ever explain how Klefki got that Power? Last I checked, Klefki was just a metal ring who horded keys.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
That Klefki was OP, but I loved the look of that first dimension even though I needed sunglasses to deal with the bright colors. Chespin being almost swallowed made me cackle, as did Tyrunt in general. The Legendaries were so bleh though imo.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I liked the psychedelic colours here and Klefki seemed so much smaller than I thought it would be. ^^; I liked seeing legendaries like Darkrai and Jirachi appear and the Tyrunt was strangely adorable. :]

DatsRight

I doubt the Legendaries in these world really "exist", as I did honestly find it weird Jirachi didn't speak, but I'm not bothered by it.

In fairness Jirachi's "Jilaggi-LAGGIII!!" in the short was hilariously derpy. XD

This wasn't a bad one, out of the recent shorts that have been fairly laid back and saccharine, there was at least lots of fun interactions and goings on (which is often the best part of the Pikachu shorts, seeing how the Pokemon interact without their trainers' involvement). I would LOVE to see something as wacky as Gotta Dance again, but this comes close if you can stand the cuteness and that gratingly cheery narrator.

The animation was really good and lots of great details were added for all the Pokemon's personalities (eg. Hawalucha's posing, Froakie's absolutely stoic teleporting, Pikachu's pain take when the key hits him on the head, the whole group's 'zigzag walk'). The little plot with the Tyrunt and it's gang was rather sweet and it was impressive how they managed to give Klefki a clear hyperactive personality, it's design seems like that would make such a thing difficult. While it's sad some of the cast are missing, it's understandable for the story. Look how bloated the Music Squad short is and how so many are limited to cameos.

While the Team Rocket Pokemon have a small role here, I kinda liked it. On a side note I like how they made clear the team's redeeming camaraderie applies between the Pokemon as well. Compared to the fall out in Island of Giant Pokemon, Meowth, Wobbuffet and Inkay seem to be clearly friends with one another without Jessie and James' enforcement. It was odd how their intro was pretty much an opposite of how said episode played out however:

Meowth: Hey look it's Pikachu and the twerp's Pokemon! Let's go after 'em!
Ekans and Koffing: Pokemon don't do bad things on their own.

Five regions later:

Meowth: Hey look it's Pikachu and the twerp's Pokemon! Let's go after 'em!
Wobbuffet and Inkay: Eh, okay then. Why not.

While the dub as usual adds a completely new soundtrack, I'm actually mixed over it, since the English soundtrack is more mystical and befitting the plot over the Japanese's jazzy one.

Last edited:

JudySpell

Banned
The best thing here was seeing Legendary Pokemon appear but the rest of the short didn't feel much different from the others. 6/10

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
This short felt like it was made simply to showcase Legendary Pokemon that we'd seen in the past, albeit now in a cute setting. :/

Leonhart

Imagineer
Cleffy having the ability to unlock the portals to realms where several Mythical Pokemon resided was amazing, if not somewhat overpowered for such a small Pokemon. I was primarily happy that we saw a Manaphy again after such a long time.

Daizy

I call you honey
Manaphy, Darkrai, Jirachi and Victini showing up would've been much cooler if they'd been the same ones Ash and co saw in the past. One good thing is how I gained respect for Klefki when I saw this short.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Daizy said:
Manaphy, Darkrai, Jirachi and Victini showing up would've been much cooler if they'd been the same ones Ash and co saw in the past.

I disagree if only because this would've seemed quite pointless since Satoshi wouldn't have been around to see them again.