• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pikachu's Exciting Expedition! (1069)

p96822

Evolve me please
This kind of remind me of the episode of Froakie and Hawlucha episode in XY however I felt that episode was better because it shows both Hawlucha and Froakie personalities and then working together to help Ash.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
The only thing that stood out most for me is that there are 60 Meltan now.
But yeah, apart from showing personality and whatnot (and surpassing SM077 with the least amount of humans appearing), it was for the most part meh.

Though if I had to pick one favourite part of the episode, I guess I'd go for the fracas between Crabrawler and Pikachu.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was hoping that this episode would be more entertaining and have some purpose, but it was rather insipid. The Pokemon began acting slightly out of character as soon as they began their search for Satoshi, and the search was pretty redundant in the end since it would've been smarter for the Pokemon to just wait for Satoshi at the place where he originally disappeared rather than go in a circle around Alola.

Red and Blue

Rather uneventful filler. At the very least this episode was the last filler episode of SM.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Yeah. Rowlet's a boy. This show will never, ever show a same gender relationship. Closest we got was when Oshawott and Meowth were dating a male Purrloin but they didn't know his gender until the end.
At least we had fan service like that Utena scene with Mao-Lillie. To be fair, there’s barely any same sex relationships/teases in children’s media in general.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
- I much prefer when they do like the Island of Giant Pokémon and just subtitle their lines. Makes sense using voice because of the toddles who haven't learned to read but... If that's the case do like the Darkrai dream episode on XYZ and get the pokémon VAs to dub their lines in japanese. They do pay the VAs to record the dialogue for every single episode if I recall correctly....

- And it seems like they changed the PikaSpeak... Ash used to call him "Pikapi" now it's just a generic "Pika"

- The members of Ash's team riding on Rosebud just because.

- Love that final shot with Ash's pokémon cuddling him and then everyone goes walks back to Kukui's lab

Despite some misteps, it was a great episode! After last week's spectacular episode, we got another pretty good one. It was almost on par with last week's if the narrator's voice "dubbing" the pokémon wasn't so annoying. Hope the foreign dubs will get unique VAs for the pokémon but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Anyway, the episode was one of the kind I've always wanted to see in the show: an episode that's mostly about Ash's current team interacting among themselves. And this episode definetely delivered.

"boku" is a more polite male pronoun than "ore" which I think Lycanroc used. It's most commonly used by young boys or young men trying to be polite.

Unless I heard wrong, I think Lycanroc used "warewa". If I recall correctly, it's an archaic form (I think Dororo from the current anime uses it)

I'm more surprised Pikachu uses it "boku". Thought he'd use "Ore" like Ash.

So the group of Meltan at the base got even bigger which I guess symbolizes that Ash's Meltan will eventually just fuse with them all. The rest of the episode was cute and had funny scenes like the sled scene, but felt too boring with nothing major happening.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
So I tried watching a bit of this episode with no sound or subtitles on... It's remarkable how utterly irrelevant the narration actually is here. I have to wonder if the episode was initially storyboarded and animated with the intent of being entirely visual, only for someone to decide to throw in the narration at the last minute because, I dunno, "Kids will get bored if there's no dialogue for too long" or something? Mind you, I disagree with that idea just as much as I do whenever English dubs do it. I stand by my initial comment; This episode would have been much better if there was no narrator voice. It felt like they were talking down to the audience. Like, yeah, this is a kids' show, but it rarely feels this overtly condescending.

It's a shame, too... The storyboarding and animation were both really strong. This could have been a really fun episode.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
- I much prefer when they do like the Island of Giant Pokémon and just subtitle their lines. Makes sense using voice because of the toddles who haven't learned to read but... If that's the case do like the Darkrai dream episode on XYZ and get the pokémon VAs to dub their lines in japanese. They do pay the VAs to record the dialogue for every single episode if I recall correctly....

I don't think that works in the dubs. I know that in the Dutch dub they just use the English audio for all the pokémon voices, they don't bother redubbing over that (aside from pokémon with a human language like Meowth and Rotom or the telepathic legendary pokémon). We'd still suddenly have a different voice.

Subbing probably has a whole other world of problems with it, like the different dubs having to edit all the footage and with licensing for that and all that, I'm quite certain that that's also the reason the dubs don't have the move text on Z-Moves either. My personal preference would have been if they hadn't had the pokémon use a human language at all, neither subbed nor spoken. Just go with visual storytelling like in that episode with Rowlet and Popplio being lost and Rowlet being stuck in that metal ring. That worked great and I don't think there's anything in this episode that wouldn't have worked with that.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I do wish they would just have the actors speak human language since it's from the Pokemon's perspective. But we can't have Pikachu being dubbed, now can we (even though I Choose You! exists).

Either way, narration or no narration, it was still cute. That's all I hoped for the typical harmless pre-League filler, and they delivered.

The interactions between Ash's Pokemon was nice. Also more personality to the Ride Pokemon. Wonder where the others were.

Also, did anyone think the Meltan were going to fuse right there and then when they jumped into Ash's hat? I knew it wasn't going to happen when I remembered the group shot of all sixty we saw in that preview picture hadn't shown up yet.

I kind of wish they showed a faint blue glow to hint at what's going to happen later.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Also, did anyone think the Meltan were going to fuse right there and then when they jumped into Ash's hat? I knew it wasn't going to happen when I remembered the group shot of all sixty we saw in that preview picture hadn't shown up yet.

I kind of wish they showed a faint blue glow to hint at what's going to happen later.
Oh man, if those Meltan merge into Melmetal without Ash's Meltan being a part of it there's going to be so much salt here on the forums.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
So the group of Meltan at the base got even bigger which I guess symbolizes that Ash's Meltan will eventually just fuse with them all. The rest of the episode was cute and had funny scenes like the sled scene, but felt too boring with nothing major happening.

That seems to be foreshadowed now that we're at sixty Meltan hanging around the Ultra Guardian base. And it says a lot about an episode when the most interesting aspect is the number of lug nuts present.

Henry's Journey

This is the absolute filler, I guess they now do a total filler before the league just like that one before the Kalos League (the one with the machines) the most important tidbit of the episode was that Meltan are multiplying, hopefully foreshadowing for Melmeltal.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Unless I heard wrong, I think Lycanroc used "warewa". If I recall correctly, it's an archaic form (I think Dororo from the current anime uses it)

With the aid of better audio, Lycanroc uses "oira" which is pretty eye-opening.

Pikachu and Rowlet both use "boku".
Clefable ended one of her sentences with "nai wa".

But none of this is exactly new or surprising, at least compared to "oira".

Kintaro

Banned
It's just weird they're doing this ep now so late in the series when the saga is nearly over instead of developing the main cast or the pokemon themselves. SM is a series of wasted potential, because theoretically it could have been fantastic if the writers just thought things out better.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Preferred the use of body language and thought bubbles used in the early pokemon having their own adventures, thank you.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
I'll quote Wikipedia.

Wikipedia said:
oira (おいら)
informal, male
Evokes a person with a rural background, a "country bumpkin".

It's pretty rare to hear this in anime, at least I can't recall specific characters who use this pronoun.

"boku" basically means Pikachu and Rowlet are more polite than Ash is. This feels right to me because I've always envisioned Pikachu as a few years younger than Ash. Pikachu as a human would basically be Sawyer.

"oira" wouldn't be unusual coming out of Stephan. In fact, I can't tell if Stephan is using "ore" or "oira" in the Japanese version, his accent is really strong.