• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pikachu's Exciting Expedition! (1069)

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I thought the human VAs that explained the Pokemon dialogues were intentionally silly, except for a few like Garchomp's, who sounded itself like a badass grown man.

I do think that the whole translation isn't as good as the XYZ's Drakrai episode, because we don't hear the Pokemon cries at the same time, not too mention as silly as this episode.

While, it's interesting to have an adventure with only Pokemons, it's disappointing that only Ash's Pokemons are involved outside of the POTDs. I would like to hear the classmate Pokemon's translations as well.

Overall, decent episode.

DatsRight

I liked the premise of this episode, though I agree they maybe should have used a different method of translating the dialogue like the OS episode did.

Liked how they used the opportunity to establish the Pokemon's personalities among this dynamic, if mostly ones we could predict, Pikachu is the straight man, Lycanroc is the keet who likes a lot of the chaos they're in, Rowlet is the sleepyhead big brother to Meltan, who is the playful baby. Also love Garchomp's hammy personality, such as a shame he is a prop for most of the series.

I do love seeing the dynamic between the Pokemon developed more (especially Meltan who mostly just interacted with Rowlet beforehand) though I do agree it's a shame they limited it to just Ash's Pokemon again (and not even his full team). This is cool as it is, but it could have made a cool substitute Pikachu special (still find it a shame ALL of the show's theatrical limelight was cut off just before SM).

Sonnas

I feel this episode is unnecessary since it didn't add anything other than being a goofy excursion, and showing off the pokemon's personalities also the narration feels redundant since they could've just had their expressions show what they're saying.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
I feel this episode is unnecessary since it didn't add anything other than being a goofy excursion, and showing off the pokemon's personalities also the narration feels redundant since they could've just had their expressions show what they're saying.
Nothing wrong with the occasional goofy excursion focusing entirely on the Pokémon... though yes, the narration was extremely unnecessary and undermined what would otherwise have been a rather excellent example of pure visual storytelling. No kidding, I honestly believe that if this episode had been narration-free, I would have considered it a standout. As it stands, the narration just kills it.

Trey pokes

Nothing wrong with the occasional goofy excursion focusing entirely on the Pokémon... though yes, the narration was extremely unnecessary and undermined what would otherwise have been a rather excellent example of pure visual storytelling. No kidding, I honestly believe that if this episode had been narration-free, I would have considered it a standout. As it stands, the narration just kills it.
From a couple people I talked to with they said that the Dub should skip this episode or modify it so it would be less annoying. Somehow, I think the former might happen, we just need some confirmation.

Sonnas

It’s just it’s right in the middle of the upcoming League which could’ve used more episodes to show the trainers training for it.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
From a couple people I talked to with they said that the Dub should skip this episode or modify it so it would be less annoying. Somehow, I think the former might happen, we just need some confirmation.
I doubt either will happen. The episode doesn't contain anything I think would be considered questionable enough for TPCi to skip it outright, and outside of Team Rocket dialogue, they don't tend to make any major changes to the dialogue.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sonnas said:

I disliked the narration as well since I would've liked to have just watched each Pokemon's facial expressions and personality traits drive the plot rather than have someone telling me what was happening on-screen the whole time.

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
A true Pokemon episode.

Alright, so this episode reminded me of several other similar episodes, from the likes of the OS, BW, XY, etc. However, what makes this episode particularly annoying unlike the others is the narration and translation co-existing at the sametime during some instances.

Yet again loving the Meltan development and evolution hints. That last flash cannon seemed too powerful, though, tbh.

Garchomp withstanding that freezing temperature was questionable for obvious reasons. Similar instances in past series from what I remember were 'justified' by Pokemon being well raised by extremely strong trainers, like Drayden. Somewhat similarly, Lycanroc having no issues with the water, especially ocean sized, was also questionable. Went underwater and no had no hesitation or issues doing so and everything. This blatantly reminds me of Olivia's Lycanroc not being afraid of water, which was briefly focused on, but I don't recall Satoshi's being fine with it to this regard. Wasn't there an episode recently where most people got in the water but the fire types and Lycanroc avoided doing so and stayed above ground instead, also?

Edit: The last scene showing all of Satoshi's Pokemon is nice. The fact that Rotom is nowhere to be seen is part of why this is a good scene. The only thing about scenes like this is when the next member of the team joins and looks like the odd one, because it hadn't formed a bond with the other members or done anything in association with them, including the trainer.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Twilight-Kun said:
This might be the one time the dub's better if they let the pokemon have different voices instead of one person doing impressions

Granted, given the general VA direction, even that's spotty

I'd like to see the dub take some creative liberty and portray each Pokemon with its own distinct voice, although given that they tend to dub things accurately these days, they'll probably stick with just one voice actor doing all the voices [which would also be cheaper for them].

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I'd like to see the dub take some creative liberty and portray each Pokemon with its own distinct voice, although given that they tend to dub things accurately these days, they'll probably stick with just one voice actor doing all the voices [which would also be cheaper for them].
Or better yet,

let it go unnarrated like Pikachu's Rescue Adventure. I mean, really, eyes aren't just on our faces for decoration, OLM and TPCeverywhere.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ryu Taylor said:
Or better yet,

let it go unnarrated like Pikachu's Rescue Adventure. I mean, really, eyes aren't just on our faces for decoration, OLM and TPCeverywhere.

I actually agree that no voice over at all would be the better option since just watching the Pokemon's facial expressions and reactions would be good enough to understand what's going on.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Hmmm, if the dub were to cut the narration entirely I would be conflicted... On one hand I think that would result in the dub version of this episode being plainly superior because the narration was, how you say... really bad, but on the other hand, it completely would go against my "Don't change stuff unless it's actually necessary" policy. I guess it would just fall under the same category as stuff like the episode title "Dummy, You Shrank the Kids!" or the ending songs to Deoxys and Arceus; "Yeah, this is actually an improvement... But I still think it was not their place to make this change in the first place."

YelST

watch Roukin
Looks like the Pokémon don't speak English in the dub. Shame, was what made the episode IMO.

Ryu Taylor

Of all the times for TPCi to forget that it's okay (and advised) to deviate from the JP version's dumb choices, of course it had to be on the episode that decided to say "**** you" to human intelligence for 22 minutes. Yes, this episode is just as awful dubbed as it was in Japanese.

Seriously, TPCeverywhere, do you think eyes are for ****ing decoration?! Well, let me blow your minds:

They're not!

Ryu Taylor

So what did they do, have subtitles or just have it blank the whole time?
No, the dub copied the JP version's stupid decision to have the narrator translate the Pokemon.