• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pikachu's Ghost Festival (P08)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Pikachu's Ghost Festival!

While out on a Picnic, Pikachu & Co. have to camp out in a mysterious mansion where they're stalked by some ghost Pokémon who intend to scare. Unfortunately the Ghost Pokémon's antics upset Squirtle & Bonsly so they all make friends and have a banquet. However Meowth & Wobbuffet soon arrive with intentions on the Mansion, can Pikachu & co. team up with the ghosts and make Meowth and Wobbuffet leave?

Visit The Movie Guide

Discuss

B

Blaziken master

This short looks pretty sweet its got lots of underused pokemon like shuppet,Banette,ditto,lickitung,duskull,dusclops and sableye.I also thought it was funny seeing Meowth in a Giovanni style tuxedo and seeing cacnea as a wrecking ball

Kuroshi

I have to wonder if this will recieve an english dub. The short looks pretty funny, I like the theme of Ghost Pokémon.

Riva

The Olive Kitsune
Are we allowed to write a fic about this episode? It so inspired me to do that.

It seemed implied that Cubone became the leader of the Ghost pokemon, didn't it?

One thing I don't get; why were Lickitung, Ditto and Koffing a part of the gang? They aren't Ghost-types. Though, I guess Ditto and Koffing can be considered "supernatural".

Lil Brother

Just kinda there.
Um, why were Team Rocket trying to destroy the mansion now? And they were using Cacnea as a wrecking ball! Ouch! XD Good thinking on Ditto's part to morph into Wobbuffet.

Using a narrator to translate what the Pokémon are saying was interesting, but I would have liked subtitles better.

The storybook look to it was very interesting and resulted in Team Rocket blasting into the moon due to the silliness. Again, ouch!

Why were they spooking Team Rocket anyway? Meanness? I really doubt they knew the twerps and the Ghost gang were in the mansion, otherwise they wouldn't try to destroy it...

Bonsly being there is really random.

Anyone else completely hate how all the Pokémon were trying to get baby Squirtle to stop crying instead of letting it suffer? << At least they were doing it because they were annoyed.

An old song for the ending credits? Aw, I was hoping for a new one. :(

Last edited:

Riva

The Olive Kitsune
Lil Brother said:
Why were they spooking Team Rocket anyway? Meanness? I really doubt they knew the twerps and the Ghost gang were in the mansion, otherwise they wouldn't try to destroy it...

Anyone else completely hate how all the Pokémon were trying to get baby Squirtle to stop crying instead of letting it suffer? << At least they were doing it because they were annoyed.
I suspect Meowth was being paid to tear it down.

The mansion was home to the ghost pokemon. Think of it this way; how could they haunt a house if there was no more house to haunt?

And they were trying to get Squirtle to stop crying because they hadn't intended to go that far; Squirtle is just a baby, and ghost pokemon aren't generally mean.

Crimsonmon

Boulder Trainer
Lil Brother said:
Um, why were Team Rocket trying to destroy the mansion now?

They were going to knock it down and build a hotel on top of it. Although god knows why they didn't try and use the building that's already there as one, as they didn't know it was haunted at the time.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Is there any particular reason this, and the other ANA special are in the movie section? Last time I checked, 22 minute episodes that didn't air with a main feature = Non Movie Pikachu Shorts.
And where does the 'Pikachu's Ghost Festival' come from? They clearly said (well, as clear as Engrish can get) Carnival at the title screen :/

This was good fun, but I felt that it was a little weaker than the previous 'Festival' title. Though in the end, it's not like it really matters. You're supposed to turn your brain off for twenty minutes and just enjoy the pokémon's antics.

I didn't think they did enough with the entire cast, though I suppose it's understanable considering there were so many pokémon running rampat inside this house. But in any case, adding pokémon for the sake of it seemed like a rather silly decision. Phanpy, Mudkip and to a lesser extent, Corphish didn't even do much of anything. They were just props for pretty much the entire special, whilst more obnoxious pokémon like Haruka's horrid shrieking Squirtle, Munchlax and Bonsly seemed to have the most focus. Of course, it's obvious why they had so much screentime dumped onto them, but still. I'd have appreciated more of Corphish and INEVERDOJACKSQUATMudkip.

The first half of the special was a little slow, bar perhaps Cubone's efforts in unveiling the 'protagonist' house mates and Corphish charging into the pseudo-mansion with that familliar Corphishy-gusto. Really picked up when Meowth & Sons Destruction Co. made their move. I don't think there's anything unfunny about Cacnea being used as a wrecking ball, and those priceless expressions of fear the trio had, as they were picked off by each troupé of spooks.

Also, the animation was real nice. A couple of weird coloration errors though, (that and the fact they gave Wobbuffet eyes :/) but it didn't subtract from the eye candy.

Last edited:

♥Princess Ketchum♥

#1 Ash Satoshi Lover
It was pretty cool this short i liked it =3

10/10

Just saw it and thought the animation was pretty sweet. There is one problem that I have with these Pikachu shorts, especially this one: When the voice-over man is translating what is being said at the same time as the Pokémon 'speaking', it is very unclear at times what he is saying, as it is hard to hear over the Pokémon.

I still don't understand in all shorts, movie and non-movie, why Meowth and the Pokémon of Team Rocket are there, but make no attempt at trying to steal Ash and the gang's Pokémon?

One last thing - Did Usohachi's and Squirtle's crying seem reminiscent of Togepi in 'Pikachu's Vacation', with the other Pokémon making faces in order to cheer them up?

Riva

The Olive Kitsune
Anyone 4 Buttons? said:
I still don't understand in all shorts, movie and non-movie, why Meowth and the Pokémon of Team Rocket are there, but make no attempt at trying to steal Ash and the gang's Pokémon?
Because Meowth knows Seviper, Cacnea and Wobbuffett are only bad because they're under the influence of Jessie and James, but all three of them will willingly fight if Pikachu and his friends tick them off bad enough, like in "Gotta Dance". Am I right?

Ashy Boy

Paul's #1 Rival
Anyone 4 Buttons? said:
They are there to simply cause trouble although it didn't happen in the Pikachu Summer Festival.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Upon watching this I just realized something, ghost Pokemon really have to show up in the anime more often.

And not the Gengar line obviously, but more Shuppet/Duskull/Dusclops/Sableye would be nice. I like ghost pokemon. Hee.

Porygandrew

Anyone 4 Buttons? said:
There is one problem that I have with these Pikachu shorts, especially this one: When the voice-over man is translating what is being said at the same time as the Pokémon 'speaking', it is very unclear at times what he is saying, as it is hard to hear over the Pokémon.
I wholeheartedly agree with that. I wish they would resort back to subtitling poke-speak instead of having the narrator mimic the inflections of the pokemon's voices. It seems too....picture-book-reading. (yes, I know the target market -__-)

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
i think that ghost type pokemon are way more funny then the other types in the anime, this episde is one of them, i'll give it a 8/10