• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pikachu's Goodbye (039)

Leonhart

Imagineer
This was a sad episode for Satoshi since he saw Pikachu's happiness among the wild Pikachu clan. He showed great maturity as well when he decided to leave Pikachu, even though he himself would've suffered from loneliness. I'm glad that things got resolved, and that Pikachu stayed.

ZilverLox

Banned
This episode was sappy and emotional, but I wanted Ash's Pikachu to leave for some reason. I guess I thought he had overstayed his welcome on the show, and that Ash would be better without it. Anyway, back then I didn't know there was no chance Pikachu would ever leave. How was I supposed to know that the show would continue for countless more episodes? But this was one of the most memorable Kanto episodes.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Due to the fact that this episode was not on the schedule for Pokemon before its four month hiatus started it is generally believed that this episode was only made after the "Pokemon Shock" incident had happened, and due to that you can notice how cheaply it was made when watching it.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Due to the fact that this episode was not on the schedule for Pokemon before its four month hiatus started it is generally believed that this episode was only made after the "Pokemon Shock" incident had happened, and due to that you can notice how cheaply it was made when watching it.

It didn't feel "cheap" IMO. It was sappy in terms of making Ash and Pikachu rekindle their love, but the episode quality itself was good.

Leonhart

Imagineer

Given the predictable and rather uneventful plot in this episode, I also think that this episode might've been written in a rush. It was a safe episode and a good way to come back from the hiatus, but if I had been in charge, I definitely would've added some extra elements to make this episode stand apart from most other Kanto-era fillers.

Pikachu getting treated as a king in the forest by those wild Pikachu bugged me since he did nothing to deserve it. Those baby Pikachu's made me swoon though because they looked like plushies.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I realize that Pichu hadn't been revealed yet when this episode was produced, yet I still can't help but chuckle internally when I remember seeing several baby Pikachu in this episode. It's so endearing how far the series has progressed since this episode.

gentwoer

The Pokemon franchise is nothing but retcons after retcons just the fact that baby and evolved form of Pokemon already established exist but were only discovered in a new region is odd to me. Like it really took until 1999 until researchers discovered that baby Pikachu's were a different species called Pichu? We know for a fact that Gold/Silver was in pre production in 1997 the same time the anime started in Japan I wonder if the producers knew about Pichu's existence yet when this episode first aired?

Leonhart

Imagineer
gentwoer said:
We know for a fact that Gold/Silver was in pre production in 1997 the same time the anime started in Japan I wonder if the producers knew about Pichu's existence yet when this episode first aired?

Pichu was in the Gold and Silver demo with a slightly different design in 1997 I believe, so they must've known it existed even as a beta species.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
The episode was quite emotional. I liked seeing the flashbacks and the baby Pikachu, since Pichu wasn't yet introduced.
7/10

The baby Pikachu scene always made me wonder if the writers knew about Pichu, which as we know now was already designed for Gold and Silver at this point, albeit as a beta Pokemon. Still though, I wish that the writers/animators hadn't goofed by showing us the baby Pikachu.

This episode seemed like an attempt to market Pikachu even more than ever and it made me wonder if Pikachu was beginning to get popular when this episode was first made. I liked how the forest here had so many cute Pikachu though including small ones. Team Rocket seemed even more heartless than usual when they tried taking all those wild Pikachu's in their giant net.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
This episode seemed like an attempt to market Pikachu even more than ever and it made me wonder if Pikachu was beginning to get popular when this episode was first made. I liked how the forest here had so many cute Pikachu though including small ones. Team Rocket seemed even more heartless than usual when they tried taking all those wild Pikachu's in their giant net.
Well they're going to made episode about how "cool" is Pikachu .....after the mess that was electric soldier porygon episode

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
This episode seemed like an attempt to market Pikachu even more than ever and it made me wonder if Pikachu was beginning to get popular when this episode was first made.

Actually, I think Pikachu was showcased here as a way to make the anime's return from the four-month hiatus seem more seamless since the episode had a rather touching story, which might've helped smooth things over after the Porygon incident.

For an episode all about Pikachu this one felt wasted because we didn't learn anything about Ash's Pikachu. He just became friends with the wild ones from the forest and they treated him like their savior and it wasn't fun to see Ash get so jealous of Pikachu's new friends. I thought that he was immature when he decided to leave without Pikachu and even though he changed his mind I thought that the episode had a corny ending and was just bad. 5/10

Interesting how Ash always felt the need to let his pokémon go when he thinks they need to. From Butterfree to Poipole, including even his best friend Pikachu(even if he came back right after).

It shows how selfless he is as a trainer although he obviously felt really bad about letting Pikachu go.

Really touching episode. Loved the song they played with all the flashbacks.