• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pikmin Series Discussion Thread

Cloneydew2000

WildScraggyAppeared!
Pretty much every boss in the game can and should be beat in 1 day. The only reason for not doing so would be if you spend too long getting to the boss, such that you don't have much time left in the day to start. The only one who might take more than a day would be the Plasm Wraith, who is still able to be 1-dayed, but due to the length of the battle, it's safer to whittle down his HP and then start fresh the second day with his HP much lower. It makes it a lot easier if you're trying to no-death him.

Every other boss though is short enough where more than 1 day is not necessary. Especially the Armored Mawdad, who can be beat within a minute, and the Scornet Maestro, who's just really not much of a danger to anyone.

Ok, but I wanted to clear up that I wasn't trying to be sarcastic.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
I don't actually think the bosses munched up too many of my Pikmin. Granted, I'm only halfway through, but still. I lost four to the Mawdad, about eleven (maybe) to the Phosbat on the first day I fought her, then none on the second, and a measly one to the Meerslug. Not bad! Looking for tips for the rest. I know that Winged Pikmin will pick off the Maestro's minions, and that they're probably good for the Mireclops too because they can avoid its tongue. For the Wraith, I'd like some tips (apart from using Winged Pikmin and killing the spiders) for the cave part, for the actual battle I have a rough idea of how to go (just fight and pray).

Oddly enough, the highest death count would've most likely been to, of all things, a Swooping Snitchbug. Yes, the ones that don't harm your Pikmin. I was fighting it while some of the Pikmin held Bomb Rocks, and during the fight the rocks detonated, killing 70 Pikmin in one go. Needless to say, I restarted that day, though I lost a good amount of progress and was pretty shaken. I managed to get everything back on my second go, though.

KillerDraco

I don't actually think the bosses munched up too many of my Pikmin. Granted, I'm only halfway through, but still. I lost four to the Mawdad, about eleven (maybe) to the Phosbat on the first day I fought her, then none on the second, and a measly one to the Meerslug. Not bad! Looking for tips for the rest. I know that Winged Pikmin will pick off the Maestro's minions, and that they're probably good for the Mireclops too because they can avoid its tongue. For the Wraith, I'd like some tips (apart from using Winged Pikmin and killing the spiders) for the cave part, for the actual battle I have a rough idea of how to go (just fight and pray).

The cave part's actually pretty easy. The important thing is to just take your time; most deaths will happen if you try to be over-ambitious and do too much at once. If you can get the first bridge built and the rock wall destroyed in the first day, you're usually pretty solid. Just alternate between Brittany and Alph/Charlie, having Brittany move about a half-circle away from the Plasm Wraith when she starts talking about it getting close (fortunately, there are verbal cues). Don't go more than a half-circle, because if you do there's a chance that the Plasm Wraith might turn around and start coming the other way. None of the enemies you'll encounter along the way are particularly dangerous, so just pick them off one by one with the appropriate type of Pikmin. Once you get to the second part (the dark cavern), things get a little easier since there's nothing particularly dangerous in there. And of course, as you clear more of the cave, the area that Brittany can circle through gets wider as well, which will give you more time to work.

Oddly enough, the highest death count would've most likely been to, of all things, a Swooping Snitchbug. Yes, the ones that don't harm your Pikmin. I was fighting it while some of the Pikmin held Bomb Rocks, and during the fight the rocks detonated, killing 70 Pikmin in one go. Needless to say, I restarted that day, though I lost a good amount of progress and was pretty shaken. I managed to get everything back on my second go, though.

I laughed harder than I should've.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I laughed harder than I should've.

The same exact thing happened to me in a run of the first Pikmin in the Distant Spring. I was carrying bomb rocks to blow up one of the walls near the landing area, and before I even had time to realize what had just happened, literally half of my Pikmin were gone. Some idiot Yellow Pikmin thought it would be smart set his bomb off to attempt to kill the Swooping Snitchbug, which happened to be right in the middle of my Pikmin army. I stood there for half a minute in shock, but I laughed later, more than I probably should have. Most of the Pikmin killed were blue ones, though. Pikmin hate crimes?

Mister Melancholy

Valetshipping ♥
My boyfriend bought me the game on my birthday, but I just started it yesterday. I am in love with the three characters so far, especially Alph. He's so adorable. I'm only on day four and have made a lot of mistakes due to still struggling on the controls (the Wii U control stick doesn't feel accurate to me), but I've only lost about twenty or so Pikmin so far to the first boss since I was stupid and decided to carry an entire army of reds with me.

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
^Yeah, the controls are far better with a Wii Remote n' Nunchuck.

So, who here's loving Bingo Battle? I think it's a great idea, considering the Pikmin series is more about collecting doohickeys than other Real Time Strategy games. I just wish more of the awesome miscellaneous stuff (for lack of a better word) showed up in it.

Still crossing my fingers for DLC.

Vipsoccermaster

Bingo Battle is great, practiced alone, through all twelve arenas. I have yet to play it in a normal way, which I hope is soon. Could be in October or so.

Last edited:

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
I personally love the Pikmin series. Its the main reason I want to get a WiiU. As to the other games, Pikmin 1 was my very first game for the GameCube and I still play it to this day. And Pikmin 2 still has one of the most fun multiplayer game concepts ever imo.

KillerDraco

I heard that Pikmin 3 was getting 8 DLC Levels!

Does anybody know whether this is free or not?

Thanks!

Well, according to Nintendo of America's Twitter...

Round 3 of #Pikmin3 Mission Mode DLC stages will be available 12/2, featuring 8 stages + 2 free ones.

Which suggests that there'll be 10 total, consisting of 8 paid DLC stages along with two freebies.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
So sorry for reviving an old thread, but I wanted to do it because the promotion for a free game kind of revives the hype.

So! In other words, I have played for the first three days of Pikmin 3, and so far I'm charmed with the game. I also like the banter between the captains in their ships. It brings more life to their characters.

Tangeh

Yeah, I remember being intrigued as to why they would completely swap out the characters when Pikmin 3 was first announced, but Olimar and Louie were mostly silent protagonists so now I totally get it. Olimar writing notes to himself every night in Pikmin 1 added a lonely atmosphere which was great for encouraging me to complete the game as quickly as possible, but the ship was the only real character in Pikmin 2... and the president I guess... although I never cared about him so I took like a hundred days my first playthrough and I'd lol when he said he was homeless and living with animals.

I loved how the three characters would talk to each other and had more distinct personalities. There was a moment early in the game where Brittany finds yellow pikmin and radios Alph about it and they have a small conversation during gameplay... I love little things like that! And how Brittany wasn't weirded out by the pikmin at all, and then later it's revealed that she's a botanist so that made sense to me. And I kept waiting for Charlie to make a move on Brittany just because his personality suggested that he would and hers suggested that she would totally shut him down ... then I read that he flirted with her constantly in the PAL version but those lines were removed from the NTSC version. Called it.

Also Alph was friggin adorable the entire game, lol. <3

GildedScizor

The drinking bird
Got this about two days ago, already 47 days in, collected all fruits, and at the Formidable Oak. But I honestly have no idea how I'm supposed to beat the thing lol. Never quite seen a boss like this before. Really been enjoying it so far though and glad I picked it over Sonic Lost World for my free download.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Well, I finished the game. I collected all fruits in...

36 days and rescued that familiar-looking captain from the creepy golden blob.

Overall, the game was a nice throwback to Pikmin 1...but I don't know whether I liked Pikmin 2's gameplay more than Pikmin 1's. What I liked about Pikmin 2 was that there were many different enemies, so...well, this game is just above average to me.

I think I'll tackle those DLC missions later. Good thing they only cost around $7 total for everything.

Tangeh

So I just started my file over again, and I noticed that some of the character lines were different than my first playthrough. What caught my attention was on Day 2 when Alph first spots Brittany. I know during my first playthrough (and I looked up a let's play to confirm), Alph says something like "Pick up, Brittany! Pick up! Please be OK!", but during my second playthrough he said "Pick up, Brittany! Pick up! Please still be alive!"

I paid closer attention after this, and noticed that while Brittany said something like "well you know me, I can sleep anywhere" during my first run through, she instead mentioned something about being able to sleep despite all of the monsters? I mean, it was hardly game-changing lol, but it's cool that they made the second playthrough even slightly different.

Zachmac

So Pikmin 3 was the first Pikmin I ever played....and all I have to say about it, is that it's also the saddest game I've ever played. I just cleared it today, and roughly 20% of all the Pikmin I ever had died by the end....and watching the cute ending credits somehow made me feel even worse about it.

It was a good game and all, but I don't think I'll be getting the future versions....death just isn't a thing that ever sits well with me. I even felt bad for a handful of the monsters I fought....

Tangeh

Alrighty, I completed my second playthrough with 100% fruits in 25 days. I only got 8/10 of the secret files though (I wasn't looking too hard for 'em...), so that's what I'll look for next time I guess. I'm still not sure what the "standard" time for this game is yet, but I know I can do better.

So Pikmin 3 was the first Pikmin I ever played....and all I have to say about it, is that it's also the saddest game I've ever played. I just cleared it today, and roughly 20% of all the Pikmin I ever had died by the end....and watching the cute ending credits somehow made me feel even worse about it.

It was a good game and all, but I don't think I'll be getting the future versions....death just isn't a thing that ever sits well with me. I even felt bad for a handful of the monsters I fought....

It's funny you say that, because I was thinking recently about how much more expendable pikmin are to me in Pikmin 3 compared to the other titles. I was OBSESSIVE about pikmin deaths in Pikmin 1 & 2, to the point that I'd usually restart if I lost more than one, but in Pikmin 3 I could lose 30 at once and not bat an eye. I think the strict time limit in Pikmin 1 and the caves and very limited purple/white pikmin in Pikmin 2 (I've seen that cutscene where it shows you that white pikmin poison enemies when eaten so many times because I'd always restart if it happened LOL) contributed to that. I know a lot of people were upset that white pikmin / purple pikmin weren't heavily featured in Pikmin 3, but I really enjoyed not having to worry about them, so good riddance.

Their little death cries are pretty sad (especially the flying pikmin! It echoes like a ghost or something), but I think it overall helps these games feel fresh against so many Nintendo games where you get multiple lives or death is otherwise temporary (Pokemon I'm looking at you!). As for the enemies, that's necessary for the "eat or be eaten" concept that drives the series. As for the smaller enemies that can't hurt you, I like to think of those as Pikmin's "natural prey" (wogpoles were explicitly referenced as such in Pikmin 2). It's nature, and you basically saved the pikmin species by rescuing their onions, building an army, and teaching them to fight, so no need to feel bad over a few deaths for the betterment of the species, right?

On a related note, I looked up a video of pikmin extinction in pikmin 3, and all that happens is the game pans to one of the onions, it releases a single seed, and whoever the controlled captain is makes a comment like "oh look a seed! We should take better care of our pikmin next time!".

Compare to Pikmin 1 below. The day immediately ends, and you get to witness this heartwrenching moment that makes you feel like a total failure. I was terrible enough at this game as a kid to legitimately get this scene once.

[video=youtube;aAtJr2xAZCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAtJr2xAZCc[/video]

"I am an utter disgrace as a leader".

Cue wincing.

Last edited: