• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pimplup is In a Sandstorm:o?

Pimplup784

Back in Blue?
Hello Everyone:). I've spent some time here rating all of your guys' teams, but I decided to put one of my teams in the RMT. Feel free to rip it apart, I won't cry;). Team At a Glance Sprites courtesy of pokemonelite2000, and Platinum Sprites from bulbapedia.net.

Team At a Glance

dpmfb051.png
dpmfa248.png
dpmfa251.png
dpffa485.png
dpmfa472.png
dpffb395.png

In Depth

dpmfb051.png

Dugtrio@Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Adamant Natured (+Atk, -SpA)
252 Atck/4 Def/252 Speed
~ Stealth Rock
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge
~ Sucker Punch

My SR setter-upper lead. Pretty simple, set up SR while taking a hit with Focus Sash, and then use the rest of my moves to take out the Pokemon before me. It can also be used as a Trick Lead trapper, because I can benefit from the Choice Item and sweep. Adamant Nature because Dugtrio needs all of the Attack it can get to actually do something.

dpmfa248.png

Tyranitar@Life Orb
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Natured (+Atk, -SpA)
4 HP/252 Atck/252 Speed
~ Dragon Dance
~ Taunt
~ Stone Edge
~ Aqua Tail

My main Physical Sweeper. After Dugtrio is done doing it's job, T-Tar is here to try and get some DD's up, and sweep. This set is slightly modeled after BulkyGyara, DD up, Taunt some Pokes, and then Sweep. Again, I did consider putting in ThunderPunch for Vappy, but it is OHKO'd by Stone Edge after 2-3 DD's. The change from Crunch to Taunt came from me losing to a BP Gliscor that had no attacking moves, scaring me off...

dpmfa251.png

Celebi@Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Natured (+Def, -Atk)
252 HP/220 Def/36 Speed
~ Leech Seed
~ Grass Knot
~ Recover
~ Hidden Power (Ice)

I know what you are thinking. "What? Why do you have Celebi on a Sandstorm team?" Celebi is perfect for the synergy of my team, and gets me out of many situations with Leech Seed. Also, with Recover, Sandstorm isn't an issue, and I might get this out before T-Tar comes out anyways;). Hidden Power Ice is for Mence who would otherwise destroy me.

Spr_4p_485.png

Heatran@Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Rash Natured (+SpA, -SpD)
4 HP/252 Sp.Atck/252 Speed
~ Fire Blast
~ Earth Power
~ Explosion
~ Hidden Power (Grass)

Oh Heatran... In my opinion, this set is the best out there and my favorite. Nobody can feel confident when switching in on this because every single one of its attacks are very dangerous. Coming off a 394 Special Attack, no Pokemon can completely resist its attacks. Also can function as a Revenge Killer when I need it. Hidden Power Grass is for Swampert and other Bulky Waters.

Spr_4p_472.png

Gliscor@Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
Jolly Natured (+Speed, -SpA)
252 HP/8 Atck/38 Def/212 Speed
~ Swords Dance
~ Earthquake
~ Roost
~ Stone Edge

My Bulky Sweeper/Physical Wall. Self-Explanatory, SD up and preceed to wall and sweep at the same time. With this EV Spread, it outspeeds all Lucario that aren't Scarfed by 1 point, and OHKO's it with EQ. Also, with SR up, Glisc can OHKO most variations of Dos. 252 HP EV's so it's walling capability is increased, and the rest goes into Defense so we can do the best we can at walling. Note that Gyarados fails to OHKO with Waterfall, and again, with SR up, Glisc OHKO's with Stone Edge.

Spr_4p_395.png

Empoleon@Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Calm Natured (+SpD, -Atk)
252 HP/6 Sp.Atck/252 Sp.Def
~ Protect
~ Toxic
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam

A set that I made myself. Paired with Celebi, this thing is a beast. Simply put, the point of this set is to pretty much stall the opponent as best you can and wall at the same time. The idea is to switch it in on something safely using vast amount of resistances. Then you Toxic the switch(or it for that matter). Then with Protect you can get Lefties recovery, all while chipping away the opponents HP. The next two slots are so you can do some damage, Surf for STAB, Ice Beam for coverage. I was also considering Brine in place of Surf because it works well with Toxic damage, but it wouldn't do anything before that.

OK, there are a lot of things I hope you guys can help me with, but Status Afflictions are one of my main problems. I could give Celebi Heal Bell, but then I lose Leech Seed, a move that has helped me a lot. Any thoughts??

Well, that's my team, have fun rating:D!!

Last edited:

Pimplup784

Back in Blue?
Day Bump, this team has proved very good so far, only 3 losses out of 15+ matches, but one of them being in a Smogon Tour. Cleaned up some things, hopefully you guys can help me make this team better:).

Rhys29

Encore
You're going to be putting a lot of pressure on Gliscor, so I would say stay away from sweeping with him. You have no answer to Heracross and Scizor otherwise. I would suggest Fire Fang so you can deal with both in a more respectful matter. You should also make him far more defensive. This will him much more reliable as a defender. You also have no real answer for Mamo :\. Not too big of a deal since it can't switch in easily on you and you can switch in effectively (and trap it with Dugtrio if you're lucky).

Pimplup784

Back in Blue?
You're going to be putting a lot of pressure on Gliscor, so I would say stay away from sweeping with him. You have no answer to Heracross and Scizor otherwise. I would suggest Fire Fang so you can deal with both in a more respectful matter. You should also make him far more defensive. This will him much more reliable as a defender. You also have no real answer for Mamo :\. Not too big of a deal since it can't switch in easily on you and you can switch in effectively (and trap it with Dugtrio if you're lucky).

I really appreciate the rate, but I've got Tran, who could quickly take them out, and like you said, I've faced Scizor many times before, but I've always managed to outpredict it, using starting with Leech Seed, and then coordinating a plethora of switches. Did you find anything else to nitpick? I appreciate any opinion;).

Rhys29

Encore
After one Heatran switch, you're predictable. NEVER underestimate your opponent or overpredict your strategy. Once they see you switch into him once, they will simply Superpower you. That's why you need to make him a more sturdy physical wall and defintely include Fire Fang. Also see that you have a pretty bad Starmie weakness, you have nothing to resist Surf/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt and nothing bulky enough to take more than one shot. You can attempt to counter to some extent with Swampert, just make sure you're not against a Specs Starmie since some carry Grass Knot and will easily OHKO you. Prediction will help, but never doubt how skilled your opponent is.

EDIT: The only real way to 100% counter Starmie is with Lanturn and Blissey/Snorlax are close behind.

Last edited:

Pimplup784

Back in Blue?
After one Heatran switch, you're predictable. NEVER underestimate your opponent or overpredict your strategy. Once they see you switch into him once, they will simply Superpower you. That's why you need to make him a more sturdy physical wall and defintely include Fire Fang. Also see that you have a pretty bad Starmie weakness, you have nothing to resist Surf/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt and nothing bulky enough to take more than one shot. You can attempt to counter to some extent with Swampert, just make sure you're not against a Specs Starmie since some carry Grass Knot and will easily OHKO you. Prediction will help, but never doubt how skilled your opponent is.

EDIT: The only real way to 100% counter Starmie is with Lanturn and Blissey/Snorlax are close behind.

Yeah, but the problem is, is that I've been facing some inexperienced battlers;). OK, thanks, I'll find a way to implement the Pokemon you mentioned. I think Swampert would be good somewhere, maybe in place of Glisc, but then no one can really take the EQ's given to Empoleon...

Rhys29

Encore
I would just suggest you switch Celebi to be Sp.D oriented, and you want 216 in the defense since you hit a jp so unless there is something very specific you need to survive, you can put that point elsewhere if need be. This way it can deal with Starmie a good bit easier. With this change, you can swap out Empoleon, since it's your liability right now with EQ/EP and everything it is covering is already dealt with, for a bulky Gyara. That may help your team a little bit, since you have 2 pokes immune to Electric and bulky Gyara can stop pokes from powering up.

Pimplup784

Back in Blue?
I would just suggest you switch Celebi to be Sp.D oriented, and you want 216 in the defense since you hit a jp so unless there is something very specific you need to survive, you can put that point elsewhere if need be. This way it can deal with Starmie a good bit easier. With this change, you can swap out Empoleon, since it's your liability right now with EQ/EP and everything it is covering is already dealt with, for a bulky Gyara. That may help your team a little bit, since you have 2 pokes immune to Electric and bulky Gyara can stop pokes from powering up.

Celebi Special Based? That won't help, like Reno said, that'll make my team even more Mamo weak. If I put Gyara in, hello Stone Edge. Empoleon has also helped me big time in many occasions and I hate giving up a Pokemon with a set I created;). I lose synergy with the Pokemon you suggested.

@Reno: Do you have any ideas??

Rhys29

Encore
Band Mamoswine's Ice Fang 2HKO's defensive Celebi, so I don't really see how changing this would make him that much weaker. Not to mention it can't outrun it. Oh, and Adamant Banded Mamo 2HKO's with Ice Shard 41% of the time with SR in play, and SS only increases the odds. If you want to lose this weakness, just go with Bronzong > Empoleon.

Last edited:

Reno

so adorable...
Stone Edge/Earthquake/Superpower/Ice Shard is what is used now.

By your logic then, Bronzong is not a counter, as it is 2HKOed by Superpower.

Pimplup784

Back in Blue?
Stone Edge/Earthquake/Superpower/Ice Shard is what is used now.

By your logic then, Bronzong is not a counter, as it is 2HKOed by Superpower.

LOL. Anyways, I've seen you correct his posts, but not help. Do you see anything I need to change?

Reno

so adorable...
LOL. Anyways, I've seen you correct his posts, but not help. Do you see anything I need to change?

This is what I do.

Special Defense based Shaymin could work over Celebi. Losing scumbag Ghost weaknesses is a massive plus point. Basically the same set, although Rest over Recover. Earth Power or Hidden Power Fire are options over Hidden Power Ice.

This leave you without something to take physical hits, so you could go with Gyarados. Rest/Sleep Talk/Waterfall/Stone Edge or Dragon Dance really does take physical hits well.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/36 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)

You can run more Speed if you wanted. This gets 207, beating Cresselia and other base 85's who run no Speed.

Pimplup784

Back in Blue?
This is what I do.

Special Defense based Shaymin could work over Celebi. Losing scumbag Ghost weaknesses is a massive plus point. Basically the same set, although Rest over Recover. Earth Power or Hidden Power Fire are options over Hidden Power Ice.

This leave you without something to take physical hits, so you could go with Gyarados. Rest/Sleep Talk/Waterfall/Stone Edge or Dragon Dance really does take physical hits well.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/36 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)

You can run more Speed if you wanted. This gets 207, beating Cresselia and other base 85's who run no Speed.
So, Gliscor out, Gyara in, Celebi out, Shaymin in. Hmmm, could work, I'll go through some testing later befor I change the team;). Thanks:D!!

Pimplup784

Back in Blue?
Gyarados over Empoleon. Gliscor stops Tyranitar from eating you alive.

Hmmm, OK, I'll try it, hopefully it helps. Thanks:D!!

EDIT: I'm getting mixed results, I'll have to keep trying...

EDIT 2: Not working...:(. Thanks though.

Last edited:

Rhys29

Encore
November:
Ice Fang: 24%
Superpower: 25%
December
Ice Fang: 29%
Superpower: 33%

That's weird, doesn't look like there's much difference here. Also, that's really weird that you're mentioning pretty much the exact same thing as me: Def Gyara and Sp.D Shaymin over Celebi. Sp.D Shaymin has the exact same stats as Sp.D Celebi and it looses the resistance to Superpower. So, wait, aren't you making his team even more Mamo weak due to your logic? Please show me where I am wrong here, not trying to be demeaning, just wondering how this would benefit the team better.

Reno

so adorable...
Shaymin doesn't have as many weaknesses as Celebi, making it more fitting for a special wall role. Celebi gets eaten up by Ghost and Dark attacks due to Psychic typing, and Ghost atatcks are generally special.

Ice Fang is used on Scarf Mamoswine, which has seen a rise in popularity due to Heatran. Choice Band has no reason to run it, and the Choice Band set is what he is weak to.

Also, that's really weird that you're mentioning pretty much the exact same thing as me: Def Gyara and Sp.D Shaymin over Celebi.

Why is it weird?

Rhys29

Encore
Ah, okay. I have access to the move usage, not sets unfortunately. And yes, that set does have rising popularity (I asked around and Sala and Blue Ace agree it will be).

It's weird because you were saying my suggestion makes him Mamo weak where as yours does even more so. Idk, I'm just confused as to why you immediately pointed out where I was wrong yet you really haven't done anything to fix that proble either.

Reno

so adorable...
Well, between Gliscor, Gyarados and Heatran, it is beatable.

And no, I didn't say you were wrong. Celebi is considered a Mamoswine counter, being able to switch in on 3 of its moves. Yes, it is potentially 2HKOed by one move, but it is considered a counter.

Bronzong can come in on 3 of its moves. Yes, it is 2HKOed by one move, but it is considered a counter.

I just used your Celebi argument against you.

Bronzong is an option over Empoleon, as between Gliscor and Bronzong, Mamoswine is not getting past your team.