• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pinsir Discussion Thread

LinksOcarina

The true master
If there ever was a pokemon that could sum up the tier system as a metaphor , it would be Pinsir. The Generation 1 Pokemon has come through five games completely unscathed; no evolutionary line, no dual-type, high attack prowess and dangerous in the right hands.

And yet, it is never used because of one reason, (primarily at least) Heracross.

127Pinsir.png

Let's go through the tale of the tape

HP: 65
Atk: 125
Def: 100
SpA: 55
SpD: 70
Spe: 85

Abilites: Mold Breaker (not affected by abilities that hinder attack)
Hyper Cutter: (attack can't be lowered)
Moxie: (attack raised by 1 when an opponent is knocked out.)

Right away, it is clear Pinsir is made to be a full on attacker of sorts. It's base 125 attack and base 100 defense are impressive for a bug pokemon, which is sadly only let down by a weak HP and Special Defense slot. It's speed is at best mediocre, clocking in at 295 with beneficial natures and EV training.

But again, the reason for Pinsir's banishment to the NU tier can be summed up to Heracross. The two beetles have similar move-sets and roles on the team, but what Heracross has is slightly more bulk in special defense, a dual bug/fighting type offering more STAB options, and access to Megahorn, a powerful STAB bug move that Pinsir lacks.

In all honestly, it's criminal.

But, Pinsir still has a lot of uses. It makes for a good mop-up sweeper late game, or a very effective sweeper early-game to soften up opponents for the big guns. Let's take a look at some movesets, shall we?

The Flamboyant Guillotine

Pinsir@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EV: 252 Atk, 4 Def, 253 Spe

-Earthquake
-X-Scissor
-Stone Edge
-Close Combat/Knock Off

The standard Choice Scarf set from Smogon, as the first sweeper it can go in and knock out items from opponents like Life Orb or Leftovers, and retreat for a bulkier counter to come in. X-Scissor is Pinsirs only worthwhile STAB (and the only bug-type move he can actually learn besides bug bite) and Earthquake and Stone Edge are good coverage moves. Close Combat gives Pinsir more attack options, but should be used if Pinsir is on mop-up duty.

Rocks of Ages

Pinsir@Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EV: 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spe

-X-Scissor
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge
-Close Combat/Earthquake

Believe it or not, Pinsir is great as a setup pokemon as well for stealth rock. One of the few advantages it has over his bug brethren is this ability, and with enough push in speed and it's high attack power, Pinsir can be dangerous threat that can really wreck teams in a pinch. Attacking options, sadly, are pretty much the same.

Double Edged-Swords

Pinsir@ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)

-Swords Dance
-X-Scissor
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Once again, it is just adding swords dance to pretty much hammer through walls and stallers. The other three moves don't change at all. Also a standard set from Smogon.

Pinsir, like Heracross, has a meager movepool, and is thus very predictable in what it can and can't do. Some other moves can be used, like facade, me first, flail, faint attack and superpower, but they are almost always situational moments and therefore, inferior options from the core of X-scissor, earthquake, close combat and stone edge. Because of the high defenses, you can run a more defensive Pinsir, but it would waste it's attacking potential greatly. That said, it is something to consider.

But in the end, if I were to put up sets for Heracross it would be nearly identical, and almost always superior sadly. Pinsir is a damn good pokemon and can be very reliable in setting up or finishing sweeps against opponents. It will never reach the limelight that other pokemon are capable of achieving in a niche or something like that, but if you really think about, it doesn't need to since it is damn good at what it does, and is always a capable pokemon in the right hands.

HeadOverHeels

Not enjoying AutumnF
Yeah it's too bad it's almost completely outclassed by Heracross.

I can understand that they wanted it to be pure Bug but it could at least have gotten Megahorn. Heracross got it, so why not Pinsir? I mean come on its even got two horns for crying out loud

UmbreonPayback

Yeah, Pinsir isnt pretty much outclassed by Heracross. That doesn't necessarily mean its a bad thing however. Base 125 attack and base 85 speed is still REALLY good especially since thing is stuck in NU. The biggest thing that sets Pinsir apart from Heracross is prob Mold Breaker EQ, which is an amazing thing to utilize. It also possesses a more dependable bug STAB move in X-scissor (but is considerably weaker than Megahorn). Also it has one of the biggest moves in the game which is stealth rocks. So it could make a lead if one wanted to.

Anyways, the best set for Pinsir prob be scarfed Pinsir, basically a parallel to Scarf Heracross except x-scissor for megahorn.

Jolly Nature (Max attack and speed) Mold Breaker
Stone Edge
EQ
X-scissor
Close Combat

Lead Set Jolly (Max attack and speed)
Stealth Rocks
Close Combat
X-scissor
Earthquake/Stone Edge

Ilan

Yeah, Pinsir isnt pretty much outclassed by Heracross. That doesn't necessarily mean its a bad thing however. Base 125 attack and base 85 speed is still REALLY good especially since thing is stuck in NU. The biggest thing that sets Pinsir apart from Heracross is prob Mold Breaker EQ, which is an amazing thing to utilize. It also possesses a more dependable bug STAB move in X-scissor (but is considerably weaker than Megahorn). Also it has one of the biggest moves in the game which is stealth rocks. So it could make a lead if one wanted to.

Anyways, the best set for Pinsir prob be scarfed Pinsir, basically a parallel to Scarf Heracross except x-scissor for megahorn.

Jolly Nature (Max attack and speed) Mold Breaker
Stone Edge
EQ
X-scissor
Close Combat

Lead Set Jolly (Max attack and speed)
Stealth Rocks
Close Combat
X-scissor
Earthquake/Stone Edge

He posted the same set at the main post ...

I like this set,
Pinsir@choice scarf
Moldbreaker
Admant 252att 252speed 4hp
Earthquake
X-sissor
Filler
Filler

wow like he didn't post the same set at the main post...

seriously before posting sets read the main post.....

now I see those stats as heracross is UU pinsir can be a good RU pokemon
I don't think it's gonna have an evolution as it's stats are good enough.

I think he is gonna have a pre-evolution which evoloves to heracross and also to another pokemon (just like tyrouge).

but anyway he seems like a nice pokemon for RU he have good stats for being "bad" and don't have heracross *4 weakness to flying.

mycooly

Banned
Hyper cutter sucks on pinsir
MOld breaker for like rotom and such if your stupid enough to OU it

Zachmac

Hyper cutter isn't actually all that bad, since it blocks intimidate. I still vote mold breaker to hit levitaters, though.
Mine is diffrent, it has mold breaker and his had hyper cutter.
Then just say "hyper cutter could work on that set", or something like that.