• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pirating of Music and other Digital Media

miles0624

Wrath of Fire
By saying you don't listen to music you kinda put yourself far out of my plight.... also why so hostile? I'm just asking questions, you're just insulting me specifically... Also I don't agree with dvd pirating so don't put me in that category. Also the amount that the actual creator gets from me buying their song on itunes is so miniscule it doesn't matter, If i'm paying 99 cents for a song then the creator in the end gets maybe 50 cents... so its not like pirating a game or dvd where the creator loses actual dollar amounts, all in all just because you can afford all the media you want doesn't mean the next guy over can. Applying the logic, that I don't have to do so no one else should isn't sound

That is your problem. You are not seeing the big picture. Each song, the actual singer only makes about 10 cents. Now we have over 53 million people pirating music. That means the artist has just lost 5.3 million dollars, not the ten cents that you have thought in your mind.

2. It was you choice to buy an ipod or what ever. I have a six year old 8gb Sansa that only cost me thirty-three dollars. Still works as good as a modern Ipod. It was your choice to buy it, not the choice of apple or anyone else.

3. Lastly, it is important to note that there are other people who are payed of that song. The band, the studio, production cost, advertisement, etc... of the 99 cents or 1.26 cents on itunes (just get it on Amazon, it never goes above 99 cents), they only bring home 33 cents. So on average, 34.98 million dollars will be lost because of illegal downloading (which you contribute to.) That could be someone losing their house, not being able to send their children to a better school, etc. Not everyone who worked to create the song are rich. Some of the back up singers make as little as 32k a year. The studio can't afford to pay them more if they aren't making more money.

Lolsgod

Sexy Trainer
That is your problem. You are not seeing the big picture. Each song, the actual singer only makes about 10 cents. Now we have over 53 million people pirating music. That means the artist has just lost 5.3 million dollars, not the ten cents that you have thought in your mind.

2. It was you choice to buy an ipod or what ever. I have a six year old 8gb Sansa that only cost me thirty-three dollars. Still works as good as a modern Ipod. It was your choice to buy it, not the choice of apple or anyone else.

3. Lastly, it is important to note that there are other people who are payed of that song. The band, the studio, production cost, advertisement, etc... of the 99 cents or 1.26 cents on itunes (just get it on Amazon, it never goes above 99 cents), they only bring home 33 cents. So on average, 34.98 million dollars will be lost because of illegal downloading (which you contribute to.) That could be someone losing their house, not being able to send their children to a better school, etc. Not everyone who worked to create the song are rich. Some of the back up singers make as little as 32k a year. The studio can't afford to pay them more if they aren't making more money.

Fine whatever, guess I am off the mark, doesn't mean I'm gonna stop unfortunately, I'll buy my apps, movies, games etc. but I don't think I'm going to spend money of songs when I don't feel obligated to

irock245

She wants it
Fine whatever, guess I am off the mark, doesn't mean I'm gonna stop unfortunately, I'll buy my apps, movies, games etc. but I don't think I'm going to spend money of songs when I don't feel obligated to

Fine then, I'll choose to kill people when I don't feel obligated to follow the law

ChedWick

Very far off the mark in fact I'm still not quite seeing how you don't feel obligated to. Especially when you find pirating of movies and games as wrong.

miles0624

Wrath of Fire

I don't feel obligated to respect your property, so I am going to take your ipod.

Seriously, what they are saying is don't try to justify something wrong when you know its wrong just because your poor/selfish/lazy/etc.

Lolsgod

Sexy Trainer
I don't feel obligated to respect your property, so I am going to take your ipod.

Seriously, what they are saying is don't try to justify something wrong when you know its wrong just because your poor/selfish/lazy/etc.

i quit trying to justify and now am saying im going to continue regardless of my lack of logic. insult me all you want, its really not gonna change my mind

irock245

She wants it
i quit trying to justify and now am saying im going to continue regardless of my lack of logic. insult me all you want, its really not gonna change my mind

And you were accusing shinyunbreon362(or whatever his name is) of being stubborn and refusing to listen to logic..................

AmbipomMaster

#TeamInstinct
Is ripping Youtube videos into mp3s considered pirating? Theres no monetary profit so I wasn't quite sure.

Lolsgod

Sexy Trainer
And you were accusing shinyunbreon362(or whatever his name is) of being stubborn and refusing to listen to logic..................

seriously mate, drop it and if you actually read my posts and his on that thread youd agree with me

miles0624

Wrath of Fire

I didn't insult you. I listed the reasons why people pirate music. Dude, try not to take things personally, this is the debate forum.

Ambipom, yes. Youtube has their own copyright laws since being obtained by google that makes anything taken off without the author's consent piracy.

ChedWick

I noticed that too. Quite amusing really.

Is ripping Youtube videos into mp3s considered pirating? Theres no monetary profit so I wasn't quite sure.

Yes and no. It's dependent on the position of the copyright holder(songs artist/record label) and if the use of the song fell under fair use(mixes and what not) which in that case it falls under the discretion of the video creator.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails

I would say yeah, its public, and you can view it for free. I don't think it really matters where you view it from as long as you aren't selling it.
Granted his logic sucks in here, my previous argument could back him up in certain circumstances. And if you viewed his posts in the other thread, they do make logical sense.

irock245

She wants it
seriously mate, drop it and if you actually read my posts and his on that thread youd agree with me

lol

I agree with you on that thread because his arguement was horrible and he couldn't even keep his composure, a sure sign of knowing you're wrong but don't want to admit it

the only this you've proved on THIS thread is that you look like you have a double standard

Granted his logic sucks in here, my previous argument could back him up in certain circumstances. And if you viewed his posts in the other thread, they do make logical sense.

previous arguement on here? I haven't looked at the rest of this thread, but in the shitstorm called the other debate thread, yours do make more logical sense

Lolsgod

Sexy Trainer
lol

I agree with you on that thread because his arguement was horrible and he couldn't even keep his composure, a sure sign of knowing you're wrong but don't want to admit it

the only this you've proved on THIS thread is that you look like you have a double standard

previous arguement on here? I haven't looked at the rest of this thread, but in the shitstorm called the other debate thread, yours do make more logical sense
Look man, I get I was wrong to try justify pirating music. At this point you're just making yourself look dumb and deviating way off topic trying to bash me and ansem. Saying that I can't be logical on on subject and illogical on another is like saying it can't be sunny then rain. No ones perfect

BoxedLunch

voicerocker said:
There is a simple answer to all of this. It is called "piracy" for a reason. Piracy is illegal, therefore, it is wrong.
I agree with some other people that the whole 'Anything illegal is wrong' claim is frightening and stupid. You can say piracy is wrong. I won't argue. However, saying that everything legal is correct and everything illegal is wrong is just an ignorant, black and white view. Firstly, many states and countries have different laws. In some countries, it's legal to marry ten year-olds. So since it's legal, it's morally correct, right? Or do you mean the laws where only YOU live? How wonderfully simple-minded. Alcohol was illegal in America at one point, but it isn't now. Does that mean it was once wrong to do it, but now it's right? LOL. Please, think of a better argument next time.

miles0624 said:
For all of you who try to justify pirating music, think of it like this; if you were a store owner, and someone just walked out with a candy bar without paying for it, would you be ok with that. Just laugh it off because you saw it. Now have that happen 40 billion times (this is only music btw). However, these people are justified because they don't have the money. >.>
That is a terrible comparison that people need to stop using. Look at it this way: If I went into a store and used my magical cloning powers (hypothetical, of course :p) to CLONE a CD and then take the clone, the store owner would be left thinking, "Wow, that douche just got out of paying me for my CD by using his epic cloning powers. But I still have the CD, so I can sell it to someone less douchy. A douche like that probably wouldn't have paid me anyway." If, on the other hand, I take the CD itself, I am costing the guy money, because he'll have to replace the CD I stole. Stealing and costing someone money are two different things.

miles0624 said:
Say it is not avilable in your region, you can always have it ordered.
Stuff is not always available legally. Take video games, for example. Several years ago, after Paper Mario was out-of-print for the N64 and hadn't yet been announced for release on the Wii's Virtual Console, I wanted to own it. I had two choices: A) pay a ****-load of money for a second-hand copy, or B) download it online. Neither way would give the original creators of the game any money. In fact, A) would've allowed someone who had no part in making the game to profit off it, as he was selling the game for twice as much as what he paid for it. When Paper Mario came out for the VC, I happily bought it, but that wasn't until several years later. Are you saying I should've just gone without it when it was readily available online and downloading it literally didn't cost Nintendo a penny?

Now, my thoughts: Piracy, while not stealing, is getting things for free. Is that wrong? Of course it is. People who work on something deserve to get paid for their time, labor and ability. You know what else is wrong? Charging $1 for a song or $20 for a movie, actors and producers getting millions upon millions of dollars a year when they didn't a few decades ago. There's making a profit, and then there's being greedy a-holes. I promise you all that if songs and movies were more reasonable prices, people would be far more willing to pay for them.

While it's true that small and independent companies need to charge more for their stuff, since otherwise they'll make no profit, larger companies do not. The proof? The 3DS was originally $100 (AUD) more when it came out, but thanks to poor sales, it was lowered to what it is now, and Nintendo is obviously still making a profit. So, their idea for a reasonable, fair price is to profit over 100% of what it cost to make their product? Sounds to me like people who commit piracy aren't the only thieves...

The whole 'If you don't like it, go without it' argument is valid enough, but if it's available online for free, why would you go without it? My basic point is that these multi-million dollar companies make no effort to be fair to and help the simple, poorer folk who enable them to become multi-million dollar in the first place, so why the hell should we help them? That's why those anti-piracy ads have started trying to claim that piracy hurts 'the simple people;' they know we don't give a damn about the rich: because the rich don't give a damn about us.

Another point I'd like to make is that, recently, I tried to legally stream some eps of Dragon Ball Z Kai on the official site. Know what happened? I got a 'This content isn't available in your country' message. That annoyed me. Why should I give them them time of day when they don't make an effort to stream in my damn country?

In short, if industries want to stop piracy, they need to do these things:

A) Make all streaming content available in every country they want business from simultaneously. If they don't, people (like me) will get annoyed when they go to their site and find the content unavailable, and will turn to illegal alternatives.

B) Stop being greedy and charging so much for their products. If they start making a fair profit, they'll still be well off. Sure, the actors and producers won't have enough money to buy a dozen mansions every year, but they'll have enough to buy one or two mansions a year, which is still far more than a lot of people can do.

Of course, these things are unlikely ever to happen. So guess what? Piracy ain't gonna stop either, unless the government manages to introduce and pass another nazi-like SOPA bill.

Last edited:

irock245

She wants it
Look man, I get I was wrong to try justify pirating music. At this point you're just making yourself look dumb and deviating way off topic trying to bash me and ansem. Saying that I can't be logical on on subject and illogical on another is like saying it can't be sunny then rain. No ones perfect

wasn't bashing ansem

actually there are many cases where people can be logical on one subject and suck ball on another every presidential debate is an example

Since you admit you were wrong, I'll stop now :)

miles0624

Wrath of Fire
That is a terrible comparison that people need to stop using. Look at it this way: If I went into a store and used my magical cloning powers (hypothetical, of course :p) to CLONE a CD and then take the clone, the store owner would be left thinking, "Wow, that douche just got out of paying me for my CD by using his epic cloning powers. But I still have the CD, so I can sell it to someone less douchy. A douche like that probably wouldn't have paid me anyway." If, on the other hand, I take the CD itself, I am costing the guy money, because he'll have to replace the CD I stole. Stealing and costing someone money are two different things.

Basically, they are one in the same. When you steal, you are effectively costing someone money. The difference you are describing is minimal at best. Even though pirating is not "stealing" they both are costing x amount of money. Taking 40 million candy bars or magically copying and ripping 40 million candy bars would still result in loss of x amount of money. It is for this reason that the comparison still stands

Stuff is not always available legally. Take video games, for example. Several years ago, after Paper Mario was out-of-print for the N64 and hadn't yet been announced for release on the Wii's Virtual Console, I wanted to own it. I had two choices: A) pay a ****-load of money for a second-hand copy, or B) download it online. Neither way would give the original creators of the game any money. In fact, A) would've allowed someone who had no part in making the game to profit off it, as he was selling the game for twice as much as what he paid for it. When Paper Mario came out for the VC, I happily bought it, but that wasn't until several years later. Are you saying I should've just gone without it when it was readily available online and downloading it literally didn't cost Nintendo a penny?

Actually no. In this case, buying it from the person would have been legal. You are mistaking something here. When it comes to video games, the company makes money off of what they sell to the store. The amount of copies sold from the store and demand makes the store buy more copies from the company. That is how the video games make money. In contrast, musicians directly are paid from the song as a royalty. Royalties are not given to video games. That is the difference. Otherwise, people would not legally be able to resale games.

Moreover, on your 3ds comment, Nintendo had already made x amount of money after selling it to the stores. However, lack of sales made the price drop in the store. Nintendo can suggest a price, but it will ultimately be left up to the stores that sale them.

The whole 'If you don't like it, go without it' argument is valid enough, but if it's available online for free, why would you go without it? My basic point is that these multi-million dollar companies make no effort to be fair to and help the simple, poorer folk who enable them to become multi-million dollar in the first place, so why the hell should we help them? That's why those anti-piracy ads have started trying to claim that piracy hurts 'the simple people;' they know we don't give a damn about the rich: because the rich don't give a damn about us.

Another point I'd like to make is that, recently, I tried to legally stream some eps of Dragon Ball Z Kai on the official site. Know what happened? I got a 'This content isn't available in your country' message. That annoyed me. Why should I give them them time of day when they don't make an effort to stream in my damn country?

The reason of this is that they are still a company. They just can't make exceptions for people because that leads to more lawsuits. If someone is left out of these "exceptions" the will fill their rights have been violated. This then leads to a whole can of worms that a company doesn't need to experience.

On the second point, maybe they haven't reached your country yet. Take other tv shows. The Bold and the Beautiful shows current episodes in the U.S and Canada, however, the Netherlands are five years behind. At one time, it will be available in the country legally. That was the point being made.

In short, if industries want to stop piracy, they need to do these things:

A) Make all streaming content available in every country they want business from simultaneously. If they don't, people (like me) will get annoyed when they go to their site and find the content unavailable, and will turn to illegal alternatives.

See directly above.

B) Stop being greedy and charging so much for their products. If they start making a fair profit, they'll still be well off. Sure, the actors and producers won't have enough money to buy a dozen mansions every year, but they'll have enough to buy one or two mansions a year, which is still far more than a lot of people can do.

This causes a loss of profit, which causes shareholders to be angry, which causes loss jobs, which causes annoyance, which then causes less games because less money is being brought in,which then causes less countries getting content on time, and that content being shipped out slower, which causes more people to be agitated, which then cause people to pirate things.

Of course, these things are unlikely ever to happen. So guess what? Piracy ain't gonna stop either, unless the government manages to introduce and pass another nazi-like SOPA bill.

Piracy would still continue even if that happened. Most people don't realize that piracy actually causes an increase in prices. Even in video games. That is the reason why xbox is moving to where one can only by the video games on the platform.

BoxedLunch

miles0624 said:
Basically, they are one in the same. When you steal, you are effectively costing someone money. The difference you are describing is minimal at best. Even though pirating is not "stealing" they both are costing x amount of money. Taking 40 million candy bars or magically copying and ripping 40 million candy bars would still result in loss of x amount of money. It is for this reason that the comparison still stands
You're assuming that every person who 'steals' (clones) the CD would've bought it. A lot wouldn't have. In fact, if the cloning option hadn't been available, the douche in question might have very well taken the CD itself, which would've been even worse.

miles0624 said:
Actually no. In this case, buying it from the person would have been legal. You are mistaking something here. When it comes to video games, the company makes money off of what they sell to the store. The amount of copies sold from the store and demand makes the store buy more copies from the company. That is how the video games make money. In contrast, musicians directly are paid from the song as a royalty. Royalties are not given to video games. That is the difference. Otherwise, people would not legally be able to resale games.

Moreover, on your 3ds comment, Nintendo had already made x amount of money after selling it to the stores. However, lack of sales made the price drop in the store. Nintendo can suggest a price, but it will ultimately be left up to the stores that sale them.
Actually, yes. I found the game on eBay, not a second-hand video game store. The person selling the game was not affiliated with Nintendo in any way; he was just a greedy douche getting rid of his game. If I'd been stupid enough to pay him the $100 AUD he was asking for for an old N64 game, he would've gotten money, eBay would've gotten some money, and Nintendo would've gotten jack. Or, maybe they would've gotten... a few cents. So, I should've emptied my wallet on an unfair price for something just to give Nintendo a few cents? Right...

So, what you are saying is that the stores were able to lower the price of the 3DS by $100 and still make a profit? What does that tell you, miles0624? That they were charging far too much, just like industries always do. They're getting greedy, and piracy is making it harder for them to get away with it. This is a good thing, in my opinion. I mean, look at how much Hollywood actors and producers are making. It's ridiculous. I'm not for pirating small, independent movies that need the money, but Hollywood movies? Hell yeah. Not that they're worth it most of the time, but still.

miles0624 said:
The reason of this is that they are still a company. They just can't make exceptions for people because that leads to more lawsuits. If someone is left out of these "exceptions" the will fill their rights have been violated. This then leads to a whole can of worms that a company doesn't need to experience.
So what? That's their problem, not mine. Are you saying that, if it's not available in my country because the creators/distributes of it are too slow, I should just go without it? Ain't gonna happen, my friend.

miles0624 said:
This causes a loss of profit, which causes shareholders to be angry, which causes loss jobs, which causes annoyance, which then causes less games because less money is being brought in,which then causes less countries getting content on time, and that content being shipped out slower, which causes more people to be agitated, which then cause people to pirate things.
Shareholders will learn to live with it, just as actors and producers would learn to live with making less money if there was no other choice. See, capitalism means that, if an actor or producer doesn't feel like they're getting paid enough for one movie, they can just find another movie that will pay them more. Same with professional sports players. However, if all industries had to cut salaries, the actors and producers would have no other companies to jump to, and they'd just have to make do with what they were being offered. Sure, they'd whine a bit, but ultimately they'd get used to it.

Note: I'm not a communist. I know that society has to have low, middle and high in order to thrive. My problem is the gross disproportion of this, which is only getting larger. If piracy helps bridge that gap a little, I'm all for it.

miles0624 said:
On the second point, maybe they haven't reached your country yet. Take other tv shows. The Bold and the Beautiful shows current episodes in the U.S and Canada, however, the Netherlands are five years behind. At one time, it will be available in the country legally. That was the point being made.
Then I'll just wait the several months/years it'd take for the show to come to my country. ...Oh, wait. No, I won't, because that would be stupid.

miles0624 said:
Piracy would still continue even if that happened. Most people don't realize that piracy actually causes an increase in prices. Even in video games. That is the reason why xbox is moving to where one can only by the video games on the platform.
Of course it would. Piracy will never stop completely. However, it would go down. Digital sharing is the way of the future anyway. DVDs and physical copies of video games are becoming obsolete. This will cut distribution prices and labor at video game shops. It'll also cut jobs, but that's happened before, and society has recovered. For example, when machines took over workers in factories in the late eighteen hundreds (I believe), people eventually found new work because humanity is constantly evolving and inventing new things, needing new people to fill in the opening work slots.

Another defence against piracy I forgot in my last post: Piracy is a good way to 'test' and 'sample' things. You can argue that video game demos and trailers do that, but they don't give you the complete picture. Some video games, especially J-RPGs, which are about all I play, can take a very long time to get 'off the ground,' so to speak. Take the Nintendo Gamecube's Tales of Symphonia, for example. When it first came out, I borrowed it from a friend, and for the first fourth of the huge game (about 15 hours), I thought, "This game isn't that great. Why's it so overrated?" Then, as I got further in, I began to really love it, and by the end of the 60-hour experience, I was an avid fan of the entire Tales series. I returned the game to my friend and straight away rushed out to the store to buy myself a copy. A demo would not have sold me the way the actual game did (sure, I borrowed it from a friend rather than pirating it, but the result would've been exactly the same either way).

Video games and movies are not like food and drink: A lot of the time, you can't just take a few 'bites' and know if you'll love it or not. Often you have to experience the entire journey, or at least half of it. I don't see why people should pay full-price for something they didn't enjoy or something they're never going to use again. Oh, you can argue that the makers still deserve the money for their time and labor, and I agree, but that makes me circle back around to my previous argument of lowering prices. I'll pay $10 or so to play a video game I'm not sure I'll enjoy. If I don't like it, I'm not paying any more. If I do like it, I'll pay more. I'll also recommend the series to anyone I think will buy it, which will help sales as well. Watch: Anyone reading this, try and (if you like them) buy some Tales games. They're awesome.

If you enjoy the experience of a video game and movie but STILL don't pay for it, you're kind of a douche, I admit, and I never do that. If I enjoy something, I pay for it, even if it is overpriced. At the same time, I can understand why people don't. People who earn minimum wage can hardly afford to spend their money on such things. You might say, "Well, they should go without," but I say, "No, someone who works 40 hours a week should be able to afford entertainment without having to resort to piracy." But life isn't fair. People are paid crappy wages for working their asses off, and in turn those people pirate things. The world isn't perfect, my friend.

It's not always about business, either. A lot of the time, companies can just be greedy a-holes. I'll give you an example: The entire series of Cardcaptor Sakura on DVD was about $350 in Japan when it first came out. With English subtitles, it was $800. So... $450. For subtitles. Not even an uncut dub to go alongside it. Just subtitles. Meanwhile, the entire series of Dragon Ball (Z) Kai (98 episodes - Cardcaptor Sakura is 70 episodes, in case you're curious), in Japanese AND English (and English subtitles), is about $200 (not taking inflation into account). Hmmm... How 'bout that? It's almost as if the people who subtitled Cardcaptor Sakura were greedy pieces of crap who knew dedicated fans of the series were desperate for an uncut version of the series and so took advantage of them... Certainly, it's such a crime to cost people like that money, right?

Last edited:

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I don't see the problem with ripping songs you had no intention of buy in the first place. They wouldn't get your money anyway and as long as you didn't send it to a miliion people, you're not stopping anyone else from buying it.

Like I said, ripping a song is no different than that taking your phone on the subway and listening to it on Youtube.

Snivy 101DW

Well, if you want a particular song from an album and you don't want the other songs that go with it? Would you buy it? Or will you just use the internet to obtain it?