• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pixar thread

Charizard-Fan

Star Wars fan
Hi, you can talk about Pixar and it's movies in this thread. You can talk about anything that has something to do with Pixar, as long as you don't bash.

I'm a big fan of Pixar, and I've seen every Pixar film except Monsters University (and I will watch it sooner or later). With the exception of Cars and Cars 2 (I don't hate them, but they're certainly Pixar's worst films imo), I think all of Pixar's films are very, very good.

Teapot

Sweaty Toad
Pixar!

I love all the movies, however any sequels that have been made lack the greatness of the original movies. I find this especially with Monsters University and Cars 2.

For me, Planes was just a ripoff version of Cars. The characters were actually quite similar, plus the overall movie was about veichles, races and lessons. Phooey.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I'm in the process of watching all of the Pixar movies right now. :) Only have Cars 2, Brave, and Monster's University to watch, though I've seen Brave already.

The original Toy Story is and always will be my favorite Pixar movie. I'd say my top 5 is probably:
1. Toy Story
2. Toy Story 3
3. Wall-E
4. Up
5. Finding Nemo

But that's probably everybody's top 5, from what I've seen.

Emiko-Gale

You are my hero! I love Pixar!

My favorite Pixar movie is Ratatouille with Toy Story and The Incredibles in second and third place.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
With exception of not seeing Cars 2 all the way through, I've seen pretty much all of Pixar's films. They really are amongst some of the best in the business of animation and story-telling (even Cars had a good moral for kids), the fact they've influenced basically an entire generation is truly amazing. I think their biggest contribution to animation (besides 3D animated movies) is the program that deals with hair--though Disney improved it with Tangled, Pixar made it better with Brave. Has it really been twelve years since Monsters, Inc.? Technology is just so incredible, that when I make comparisons to then and now, it's mind-blowing how far we've come.

My favorite Pixar movie is WALL-E, and probably will remain my top favorite for a while (and it's not just because I'm a hopeless romantic). It's a beautiful movie that took many risks and made them work. The fact they waited for years until after Finding Nemo made this movie that much more worth it. They didn't have the confidence to do space until after they saw what they could do with water, and then they went for it. Andrew Stanton's commentary about what went on during production and other behind-the-scenes was what permanently cemented the movie as a favorite of mine. A lot of care, love, and talent was put into it, and he was very grateful about everything (even if the animators probably still do curse him for getting "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" stuck in their heads). I really do get defensive about this movie in terms of messages, especially when it comes to the environmental message (which was more-or-less in the background or at least the C-Plot behind the B-Plot of the captain wanting to return everyone home). That never once crosses my mind every time I watch the movie, and when people zone in on that one particular little thing, it's like they lose focus of what the story is actually about, and that saddens me.

So anyway, long-story-short, I love Pixar, and I will continue to support them for their beautiful stories (even the short films are beautiful--their recent one with the umbrella was very surprising at how much they got me to care for a freaking umbrella). Sadly, we're not going to get a Pixar movie next year, it looks like. The Good Dinosaur has run into problems with the director being removed from the project because of story problems, so it got pushed back a year along with Finding Dory (which I'm secretly worried about, to be honest, but for the most part I've loved their sequels/prequel).

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Yeah, that's what I liked about Wall-E. It doesn't fall into the same pitfalls as something like Pocahontas does. Pixar knew to put the romance first and social commentary second, whereas Pocahontas did the opposite, and it wound up being a way too preachy for my liking. I didn't feel like I was being preached to with Wall-E. It is literally one of the best sci-fi movies I've ever seen and probably the best love story.

And as for no Pixar movie in 2014, yeah, it sucks, but I'd rather see them take their time to make The Good Dinosaur a great movie than have them rush it to fill a deadline, especially since I've been seeing a lot of hate toward Pixar lately, because their past few movies have been disappointing (or rather, that's the consensus). Plus, it means two movies in 2015, since the Inside Out one will be out in the same year. So honestly, I'm okay with it.

Emiko-Gale

No Pixar movie for 2014?! What will I do with my life?!

Ok, now that my dramatic venting is over. I liked Brave, I mean the animation was pretty and Merida was a pretty cool character to me and the mother/daughter relationship was nice, which makes up for the whole princess who doesn't want to be ladylike cliché that got waved in the face. (I'm a tomboy and can relate to this and yet I'm tired of seeing it.) But like others I felt it was better off as a Disney film rather than a Pixar film.

Enjolras

Master of the House
Disappointing? I can't be the only one who loved the intense visuals and sappy story of Monsters University. Almost as good as the original, in my opinion.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Disappointing? I can't be the only one who loved the intense visuals and sappy story of Monsters University. Almost as good as the original, in my opinion.

I really enjoyed it. People say it's basically like any other college movie (at least those in the 80s) so that's their excuse for not liking it, but I don't believe I've seen any college movies, so I never caught on to that. Either way, I personally felt it captured the college spirit, and that made me feel right at home. It really was interesting to watch Mikey and Sully's experience at University and what happened. Sure, there were some missed opportunities (Randall, for example, though after some thought, his pettiness makes so much sense in hindsight), but for the most part, I thought it was great. First movie is always better, of course (Toy Story's trilogy is the only one where each movie was better than the last--dammit, I wish we got a Bug's Life 2).

Another thing I like about Pixar is that they're aware of their entire audience, and can cater to both sides of the demographic (not that DreamWorks doesn't do the same). I swear, Toy Story 3 and Monsters University was made strictly for us college students, as a love letter of thanks for supporting them for as long as we have. In summer of 2010, I had just graduated from high school, and was going to attend college in a few months, so Toy Story 3 really spoke to me. (Speaking of Toy Story 3 speaking to people...)

And it was the same with Monsters University, especially with the overall moral of the movie. It's rather rare for movies, particularly children's movies, to be so grounded in reality and really harsh about it, yet it's nearly always about the morals that we as adults tend to forget, thinking we're better than it. What happens in the movie does happen with college students, and in this past year or two, I've wondered if I've really chosen the right major of being a film student even though I love drawing that much more. I only chose film and video because eventually I'd get into animation classes (which I have right now, but it's not what I thought it was going to be). I'm already in the last stretch of this major, so I can't change it (though my parents said I can go to another college for a couple of years to get my Graphic Design major if I want to). And so while I didn't cry at the end of the movie, it did leave a fuzzy feeling that everything will be okay as long as I work hard.

Because really, who seriously saw that ending coming? Be honest here.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Pixar! I love Pixar movies. I haven't seen Brave or Monsters University but I want to see them, especially Monsters. Minus Cars 2, I've loved all the Pixar movies. Toy Story is one of the few series that pulled off the sequels very nicely and I loved them all. I really love The Incredibles, Wall-E, Ratatouille, A Bugs Life, Finding Nemo, they are all so good. I loved growing up with Toy Story, and by Toy Story 3 I felt like it was time to depart from my childhood and grow up and give it to the new generation. I nearly cried in theaters. The Incredibles was amazing because I love superheroes and fell in love with this concept. Though I find Finding Nemo a tad overrated I do enjoy it. Every time it comes on TV I end up watching the entire thing. I love Pixar. Looking forward to The Good Dinosaur.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
I have seen all of the Pixar movies with the exception of Brave, which really just doesnt interest me that much.
But I have to say, I love Finding Nemo, but the fact that a sequel is coming makes my slightly uneasy...but they'll probably do a good job, I got nothing to worry about.

flawlessazn

Spiffy ~ ^^"
My fav Pixar movie would have to be "The Incredibles"

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I can't judge, I've never seen Monster's University, but I don't know. I've been seeing a lot of hate for Pixar lately, because their last three movies didn't live up to people's expectations.

Brave's the only one of the three I've seen, and while I don't think it's amazing, I don't think it's as horrible as people make it out to be. Seriously, that movie gets so much hate, I can't believe it's not rotten on RottenTomatoes or something lol. I pretty much share the Nostalgia Critic's view of that movie. Great visuals, great voice acting, I personally liked the Scottish music in the background, and the last 1/3 of the movie is good. Just the first 2/3 is mediocre.

Silent_Vibrava

Fanfiction Writer
My top favorite Pixar film is Monster's University by far. It has some truly crushing moments, and it has the most relevant, modern moral out of all the Pixar films. I think if I wasn't a college student, I wouldn't care for it in the way I do now. I was incredibly disappointed in Brave, and it is by far my least favorite Pixar movie. Even more so than Cars and Planes, at least I was expecting those movies to be somewhat mediocre. Brave was the only movie in recent memory that I went to see, and I was just shaking my head the whole time and groaned.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
I'm with you there, Kutie_Pie. WALL-E is my favourite film EVER (with the second being Up!) and I also think that the highlights of Monsters University was how it played around with the typical tropes. Even though you know how it's going to end ultimately, the actual path taken is hugely different to how you expect.

I don't think any of the Pixar films are bad, per se, except Cars 2. Even then, I don't see it as a bad film so much as a bad sequel - all the gritty spy stuff doesn't fit with the simple themes of the original film, and I think they exaggerated Mater a lot to make the plot work (I liked him in the first film but not the second - his character was made to be the foil-y sidekick, not a main protagonist). The sequels and Brave are films I find good, but not spectacular. My favourites would be:

1. WALL-E
2. Up
3. Finding Nemo
4. Monsters Inc

In that order. I like the sweeter stuff, okay? Oh, and I actually prefer Cars to Ratatouille. Mainly because I think the side characters from Cars are more memorable, I can recall more scenes I liked from Cars than Ratatouille (such as the race at the end), and Lightning actually seems to grow as a character during the film whereas Remy and Linguine don't really (or if they do, I don't remember) - even if Lightning's growth is cliched. Not that I don't think people can't like Ratatouille, I just think it's a bit bland for my tastes (ba-dum-tish).

Oh, and who's looking forward to the non-sequel films The Good Dinosaur and Inside Out? Both sound good to me. Pixar + Dinosaurs (especially sauropods!) makes The Good Dinosaur an insta-watch for me, and while I'm not usually fond of 'little people inside your head' stories, the emotions seem to be treated as separate entities from the girl (as in she has her own personality without them) - if that's true, I'm a lot more comfortable with the idea.

Silent_Vibrava

Fanfiction Writer
This is not considering the Toy Story movies, in which Toy Story & the sequel are my actual favorites.

1. Monster's University
2. Monsters Inc
3. Up
4. Finding Nemo
5. Wall-E/Ratatouille (it is a tie)

Oh, and who's looking forward to the non-sequel films The Good Dinosaur and Inside Out? Both sound good to me. Pixar + Dinosaurs (especially sauropods!) makes The Good Dinosaur an insta-watch for me, and while I'm not usually fond of 'little people inside your head' stories, the emotions seem to be treated as separate entities from the girl (as in she has her own personality without them) - if that's true, I'm a lot more comfortable with the idea.

I'd love to see how they do The Good Dinosaur. Can't wait for that one.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Well, I finally got to see Monsters University. I really liked it. A few chronological errors but very nicely done. One of the errors I noticed was technically not an error. In the original trailer For Monsters Inc. Sully mentioned that while Mike was passing notes to "Susie Boils" he was "Studying Geography" Implying that they had known each other since grade school, while in reality, they met in collage. But seeing as this was a a trailer and not in the actual movie, I don't think it can be counted as an actual error.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
There's a poster going around of The Good Dinosaur that says it's "unofficial", but a Pixar employee had Tweeted it out about it (it was shortly deleted, which raises some suspicions). Either way, this is the link to that.

That poster scares me. I don't care if it's "unfinished" or what-not, that's freaking scary. The dinosaur looks like one of those plastic dinosaur toys, and the Neanderthal kid on his head (I thought this movie's supposed to take place in modern times?) is scaring me as well. I hope to God that it looks better than what we see here, because I'm getting worried now. (Doesn't help Bob Peterson was removed as director.)

My favorite Pixar films are:

1. Up (one of my favorite movies in general)
2. Toy Story (and all the sequels)
3. Wall-E
4. Finding Nemo.

I'm a big Pixar fan. I honestly think that they are some of the best film makers, period. Not just kid film makers. They always have a good concept, well developed characters, and stunning visuals. And story wise, forget about it. The only two Pixar movies I haven't really cared for is Cars 2 and Ratatouille, and neither of them were bad, just not the greatest.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Well, I finally got to see Monsters University. I really liked it. A few chronological errors but very nicely done. One of the errors I noticed was technically not an error. In the original trailer For Monsters Inc. Sully mentioned that while Mike was passing notes to "Susie Boils" he was "Studying Geography" Implying that they had known each other since grade school, while in reality, they met in collage. But seeing as this was a a trailer and not in the actual movie, I don't think it can be counted as an actual error.

Would also Like to add that I caught some more errors in MI/MU chronology as well as a few blunders in MI itself.
The error in MI/MU chronology is a small remark that Mike makes:
"You've been jealous of my good looks since the fourth grade pal."
Well, I hope he was being sarcastic.
In MI itself, if you notice the scene where Sully scares for the first time, take a look at the pink, tentacle-like monster. In one shot, it is on the station one from the end, and in another shot is is right next to Mike.

I'm a stickler for these types of things XD

Last edited: