• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Planned Teams Thread

WalesNote

Infernape
Luxray / Roserade
Floatzel / Drifblim
Gardevoir / Leafeon / Vaporeon
Houndoom / Chatot / Steelix
Weavile.

Never used Infernape before. Luxray is just fab. Never used Roserade or Floatzel. Drifblim is good.
Gardevoir is good. Leafeon is love. Never used Vaporeon. Houndoom is love. Chatot is love and never used him.
Steelix could have better stats, but have never used him and maybe would like to.
100% Want to use Weavile.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I'm actually wondering in the trailer we do see that we can get a Houndoom in the Grand Underground. So what fire Pokemon would be better Rapidash or Houndoom?

Houndoom by a pretty considerable margin. That being said, I've seen a Diamond-version Nuzlocke with just a Chimchar and Ponyta and Ponyta managed to beat Wake's Gyarados with the move Natural Gift and a Pecha Berry to turn it into an Electric-type move. That run was mostly insane though..

But Houndoom is the better Fire-type and also gives you a great Dark-type while you're at it. Also, Houndour evolves at level 24. Which means you get a BIG upgrade to your team basically as soon as you're catching it.

I still find it excruciating to train a Ponyta up to level 40 though..

But Rapidash has received a lot of fun toys since GenIV (Poison Jab, Wild Charge, PlayRough, SmartStrike)..

I'm definitely going to try to play the main story without a single Fairy-type on my team, because I don't want to risk Cynthia being easy.

I don't know if ILCA and Masuda have accommodated for the type, so I'm not taking any chances. I intend for my battle against Cynthia to be a memorable one.

If possible I'm intending to use the Togepi-line. But knowing the D/P-games, you could only get the Shiny Stone at Iron Island (and the Battle Zone) and in Platinum you could also get one at Route 10, but you needed Rock Climb. What this means is that the game essentially gatekeeps you from using Togekiss until at least the sixth gym..

By which point you're really only facing Steel, Ice and Electric Gyms.. Which Togekiss is not well-suited for.

The Galactic admins and Cyrus are predominantly Poison-type users (and the occasional Bronzor+Glameow iirc). Togekiss really only has an advantage against Cyrus' Honchkrow (and Weavile, but that's a faster Ice-type) and Saturn's Toxicroak, but trades off the Flying vs. the Poison match-ups.

Meaning. While Togekiss as a Fairy-type in Sinnoh might seem broken.. It will struggle during most of the latter portion of the game, until you hit Aaron/Cynthia.

So I intend on using it -if we can get Togepi early-, but not forcibly train it up to match my other levels. An underlevelled Togekiss v. Cynthia sounds like a fair deal.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'm actually wondering in the trailer we do see that we can get a Houndoom in the Grand Underground. So what fire Pokemon would be better Rapidash or Houndoom?

Houndoom by a pretty considerable margin. That being said, I've seen a Diamond-version Nuzlocke with just a Chimchar and Ponyta and Ponyta managed to beat Wake's Gyarados with the move Natural Gift and a Pecha Berry to turn it into an Electric-type move. That run was mostly insane though..

But Houndoom is the better Fire-type and also gives you a great Dark-type while you're at it. Also, Houndour evolves at level 24. Which means you get a BIG upgrade to your team basically as soon as you're catching it.

I still find it excruciating to train a Ponyta up to level 40 though..

But Rapidash has received a lot of fun toys since GenIV (Poison Jab, Wild Charge, PlayRough, SmartStrike)..
Rapidash can be more versatile though if BDSP still has SWSH’s movepool. I’ve been using a Rapidash in WiFi battles with Flare Blitz, Solar Blade, Substitute, & Hypnosis and it’s actually been one of my strongest pokémon

Julia Artemis

Yeah I really enjoyed using Rapidash with Flash Fire so I might try to go with that. Also trying to use a Magmortar in SWSH and it feels very meh. The only thing that annoyed me which will probably be fixed is the very shallow movepool it had in gen 4 which really didn't have great options for it's attack stat

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Yeah I really enjoyed using Rapidash with Flash Fire so I might try to go with that. Also trying to use a Magmortar in SWSH and it feels very meh. The only thing that annoyed me which will probably be fixed is the very shallow movepool it had in gen 4 which really didn't have great options for it's attack stat
Yeah, compared to SWSH's movepool, Rapidash is a little lacking. But if you are stuck with Gen IV's moves, I think your best bet would be to use the moveset for my Rapidash but replace Solar Blade with either Iron Tail or Double Kick to deal with Rock types since everything else is still teachable.

You'll just need a Grass type on your team to help take care of Ground and Water types (or an Ice type if Freeze Dry is in the game)

Last edited:

Red and Blue

For my Rapidash's movepool I'm going with

Flame Wheel
Flare Blitz
Bounce
Stomp

Shame it can't learn Blaze Kick

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I recently acquired a shiny Glameow from Pokémon Home. It’s only level 11 so I’m hoping to integrate it into a Shining Diamond team early on.

Nave

Empoleon
Ability: Torrent
Item: Leftovers
- Scald
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Roserade
Ability: Natural Cure
Item: Wide Lens
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes

Garchomp
Ability: Rough Skin
Item: Rocky Helmet
- Earthquake
- Scale Shot
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Tyranitar
Ability: Sand Stream
Item: Assault Vest
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Clefable
Ability: Magic Guard
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Wish

Mismagius
Ability: Levitate
Item: Life Orb
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Mystical Fire
- Taunt

Some things are subject to change depending on what items, moves, and abilities are available.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Clefable
Ability: Magic Guard
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Wish

Some things are subject to change depending on what items, moves, and abilities are available.
Clefable only got Soft-Boiled as a tutor move in FRLG & Emerald so that move is likely to not be available.

Nave

Clefable only got Soft-Boiled as a tutor move in FRLG & Emerald so that move is likely to not be available.
That's what I get for playing too much Pokémon Showdown.
Will be interesting to see if Pursuit and other moves come back. Pursuit was such an integral part of the old metagame. But I think we'll have new moves like Scale Shot instead, to match up to the current meta.

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
I've been debating between two different teams. On the one hand, I really want to use my original team from Diamond, which consisted of Torterra, Staraptor, Luxray, Lucario, Garchomp, and Octillery. I really want that feeling of nostalgia as I play through the game with the OG team after over a decade. On the other hand, I also want to try out some new Pokemon I've never used before (Rampardos, Vespiquen, Manaphy, Empoleon, Skuntank, etc.). With news of the Exp Share being always on and being able to swap Pokemon out from the PC at any time, I figure one good way of keeping the game from becoming too easy would be to actually combine the two teams together and rotate through them periodically. Or at least run through the game with a main team of 8-9 instead of the usual 6.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I figure one good way of keeping the game from becoming too easy would be to actually combine the two teams together and rotate through them periodically. Or at least run through the game with a main team of 8-9 instead of the usual 6.
That's usually what I do with my playthroughs (with or without the EXP share) and it definitely made SWSH more challenging. Two things I usually do to try & keep my pokemon from being overleveled are
  1. I give myself a level cap from time to time until all of my pokemon are at a certain level. For example, if I have a pokemon that's level 25, I put it in the box and rotate all of my pokemon in & out of storage until they're all at the same level
  2. I do the same thing the anime does for gym battles by limiting myself to the same number of pokemon the gym leaders use, and I try to make sure my team is no higher than the gym leader's first or second pokemon

Holla

Pokèmon Master
I really enjoyed the team I had when I last played platinum. So I'll likely use something similar. I'll adjust accordingly depending on what is and isn't available in the remakes of course. I used:

Infernape
Luxray
Gastrodon
Roserade
Staraptor
Froslass

Not sure if I gave my teams yet, but I'll go over them anyway.

BD:
Empoleon
Staraptor
Roserade
Garchomp
Clefable
Mamoswine

SP:
Infernape
Honchkrow
Luxray
Other three unknown

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Rapidash can be more versatile though if BDSP still has SWSH’s movepool. I’ve been using a Rapidash in WiFi battles with Flare Blitz, Solar Blade, Substitute, & Hypnosis and it’s actually been one of my strongest pokémon

SolarBlade is a really fun toy, especially if you can consistently set-up Fire/Grass works wonders for it during potential Dynamax as well. Limiting Water-damage and hitting Water, Ground and Rock with the Grass MaxMove. And if the sun remains up after Dynamax ends you can spam SolarBlade.. :)

Did.Not.Know.. that Rapidash could get Hypnosis through breeding! Looked it up - and I now also learned that MEOWTH can learn Hypnosis through breeding. Team Rocket's been sleeping on this skill since Gen5!!! :O

*Pun unintended.

With news of the Exp Share being always on and being able to swap Pokemon out from the PC at any time, I figure one good way of keeping the game from becoming too easy would be to actually combine the two teams together and rotate through them periodically. Or at least run through the game with a main team of 8-9 instead of the usual 6.

Like MM, that's also what I kinda do most of the time. Unfortunately, I don't limit myself to 8 or 9, but the entire new generation. I literally can't decide on a team most of the time - but have for Brilliant Diamond (pending the availability of some Platinum Dex-additions during regular gameplay).

rocky505

-Torterra
-Honchkrow
-Gastrodon(East)
-Magmortar
-Rotom(If I can catch it before the Elite Four, like in Platinum)
-Zangoose(If it's in the underground and before the E4) or Ambipom.

BCVM22

Infernape
Electivire
Mismagius
Octillery
Hippowdon
Altaria OR Lucario

I would prefer a Dragon-type in that no. 6 spot (I've already raised a Garchomp, years ago) but Altaria's base Special Attack is so mediocre. Lucario is versatile but has so many weaknesses. I'm torn.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'm still doing a connection-themed team for my Brilliant Diamond playthrough, though I'm still debating on the sixth slot:
  • Infernape- Shows a connection to my characters' roots since her first pokemon was a Fire type
  • Chatot (In-game trade)- Music connects people together//being a trade pokemon shows connecting with other trainers
  • Rampardos- Fossil pokemon to connect with the past
  • Yanmega- Ancient Power evolution for the same reason
  • Electivire- One of the pokemon from my first SoulSilver playthrough, connecting to my early Gen 4 games
Lopunny is my plan for the sixth slot if BDSP gets megas since it relates to connection due to evolving through happiness, but I'm trying to think of an alternative if mega evolution isn't in the games:
  • Manaphy- Many bodies of water are connected to the ocean//Manaphy's heart swap helps connect people
  • Shaymin- Connecting to others by showing gratitude towards them
  • Kricketune- Music connects people together
  • Chimecho- Same as Kricketune & Chatot//Friendship Evolution//Shinto influence works with connecting to the country's spiritual roots
  • Cherrim-References flower gazing, which is a big event in Japan that brings people together and strengthen connections
  • Porygon-Z- References how the internet connects people
  • Girafarig- Has two heads connected together
  • Kadabra/Alakazam- In game trade
  • Spiritomb- Reincarnation of 108 spirits to connect with the past
  • Wurmple or Burmy lines- Connected evolution lines (also gives me multiple pokemon to rotate with & keep my main team from being too OP)
  • Probopass- Magnetic elements show how magnets can connect to each other
  • Other pokemon with friendship-based evolutions
    • Roserade
    • Lucario
    • Umbreon
    • Blissey

Infernape
Electivire
Mismagius
Octillery
Hippowdon
Altaria OR Lucario

I would prefer a Dragon-type in that no. 6 spot (I've already raised a Garchomp, years ago) but Altaria's base Special Attack is so mediocre. Lucario is versatile but has so many weaknesses. I'm torn.
I'd go with Altaria. It may have a low special attack, but it does have good bulk and a variety of status to moves deal with opponents such as Sing, Cotton Guard, Defog, & Featherdance. You could also go with the Winona strategy by giving it Dragon Dance and moves like Dragon Claw, Outrage, or Earthquake to surprise opponents. Plus, having Lucario would give a 3x weakness to Ground types.

Last edited:

Damjean

I think i'm ging with a poison team:
- Muk (gonna treat this one as my starter)
- Victreebel
- Crobat
- Tentacruel
- Toxicroak
- Drapion/Skuntank

I am really curious how tough Cynthia's Garchomp Will be when I walk in with these lads.

Red and Blue

I think i'm ging with a poison team:
- Muk (gonna treat this one as my starter)
- Victreebel
- Crobat
- Tentacruel
- Toxicroak
- Drapion/Skuntank

I am really curious how tough Cynthia's Garchomp Will be when I walk in with these lads.
Depending on how high leveled you are you might be able to one shot Garchomp if your Tentacruel uses Ice Beam or Blizzard