• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Planned Teams Thread

NeoDude-5000

I planning to use a mixed team featuring members from Pearl and Platinum. As of now my planned team is:

Infernape (obviously its the starter)
Staraptor
Pachirisu
Floatzel
Lucario
Glaceon

All except for Glaceon were my main 5 team members from my Pearl playthrough years ago. Glaceon was Bebe' Eevee from Platinum.

Autobot N

Assuming the Platinum Dex is being used, I'm not sure who all I want to use. I'm planning to do a competitive battle with my brother after we both beat the game (I'm getting Pearl, him Diamond), so I'm trying to have a diverse range of types. The only spots I'm 100% sure of so far:

Empoleon (I always like to use both Torterra and Infernape when I play through Platinum, so now Empoleon gets the spotlight)
A Legendary/Mythical (I always like to use a ≤600 BST Legendary/Mythical on my teams, I'm just waiting to see what options I have)

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
I'm going to be as faithful as possible to my original Diamond team for Brilliant Diamond.

Empoleon
Staraptor
Luxray
Roserade
Rapidash
Blissey

Pkjoan

Pokemon Master
The same team I used in the original Platinum. I will transfer them or recreate them, but I want my OG team back.

ebevan91

I’m reading through this thread and it’s evident that the Sinnoh dex is incredibly limited because all these teams are so basic. I would post mine but you could pick out a random post in this thread and it’d be really close.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
My team ultimately depends on whether or not HMs will be returning.

With HMs
1. Empoleon
2. Drifblim
3. Rampardos
4. Gyarados
5. Clefairy (for that damn Garchomp)
6. Snorlax

Without HMs
1. Roserade
2. Drifblim
3. Haunter
4. Gengar
5. Umbreon
6. Steelix

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
It all depends on who I end up playing as (which I'm waiting until we get more info on BDSP & Legends before I decide).

If I just do a regular playhtrough, I'm planning to use a few of my favorites plus some of the pokemon from my original Diamond playthrough:
  • Torterra
  • Chatot
  • Buizel (NOT Floatzel because it's as ugly as sin)
  • Snorlax/Ambipom
  • Rampardos
  • Weavile/Roserade
  • Gliscor

If I decide to do a continuation of my Sword character, my team will (for the time being) consist of
  • Infernape
  • Porygon-Z
  • Scizor
  • Pachirisu
  • Rampardos
  • Carnivine

If I decide to do a retelling of my Platinum playthrough, my team will be the following:
  • Torterra/Empoleon
  • Gallade/Some Fire type (since I used Cyndaquil back then)
  • Drifblim
  • Buizel
  • Luxray
  • Riolu

Last edited:

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Depending on what's available, it could change, buy my general DPPt team usually consists of Torterra/Infernape/Empoleon, Staraptor, Luxray, Lopunny, Togekiss, Bronzong, Garchomp, or some combination of them. Also, I'm sure I'll be attempting to get all three Wormadam at some point, so there's that.

Kangaflora

Unfortunately, it is a bit too early for me to decide my team, so I will wait until we get more info, and then plan my team. I fully intend on having all three starters on my team along with Staraptor, but I haven't fully decided on the other two yet (this is for both games).

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Manaphy
Jirachi/Mew
Staraptor
Infernape
Luxray
Garchomp

Other potential members

Roserade
Togekiss
Spiritomb
Mismagius
Electivire
Magmortar
Empoleon
Dusknoir

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I'm hoping that they do Platinum-dex and Mega's (and if they do, let them be available pre postgame).

I've played Platinum to death, so there's a big chance I'm going nuzlocke on these.

A lot of pokemon have become better since gen4. Stuff like Luxray has a vastly better moveset in terms of diversity then simply only being able to run Spark+Crunch (maybe Ice/Fire Fang if you felt like breeding, but I already was attached to the one I caught by that point). But after looking up its Gen8 moveset.. It only learns Wild Charge at level 80 and Crunch in the 50ties.. so SOMETHING is still horribly off. The elemental Fangs are TM's so they should be available.

I’m reading through this thread and it’s evident that the Sinnoh dex is incredibly limited because all these teams are so basic. I would post mine but you could pick out a random post in this thread and it’d be really close.

The reason is twofold:
1. The DP dex was limiting, the Platinum dex is a sheer necessity.

2. The early route pokemon are actually quite good and people stuck with them. The starters are obviously there, but Staraptor, Luxray and Floatzel don't really fall off at all. Also, Gible is accesable after the 2nd gym, so easy access to the easy wincon Garchomp as well.

Those two combined and it isn't hard to understand why: Infernape, Staraptor, Luxray, Floatzel, Roserade, Garchomp is a popular team.

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Stuff like Luxray has a vastly better moveset in terms of diversity then simply only being able to run Spark+Crunch (maybe Ice/Fire Fang if you felt like breeding, but I already was attached to the one I caught by that point).
Hopefully they’ll include TMs & TRs from Sword & Shield since they made all the Fang moves available without breeding

amoebo

amoeboVGC
With the Snowpoint Platinum NPC being there I feel confident in saying some things from Platinum will be incorporated.

With that said...

-Torterra
-Golduck
-Vespiquen
-Blissey
-Toxicroak
-Weavile

or

-Empoleon
-Machamp
-Honchkrow
-Scizor
-Carnivine
-Magmortar

or

-Infernape
-Bibarel
-Gliscor
-Scizor
-Drapion
-Abomasnow

I wanted to add more teams so:

-Infernape
-Gastrodon
-Grass-Cloak Wormadam
-Scyther
-Lucario
-Electivire

Last edited:

wellwellwells

I’ll probably start with Piplup but I want a challenge. For SwSh I forced myself to use a new team for each gym, but I always used SE types and it was kinda easy. I am thinking of doing same thing but always using weak types for each gym.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I tweaked my planned team a bit to include a back-up team so I have (almost all) types on a bench.

I've kinda tripled up on Steel, but I'm getting Brilliant Diamond, so.. Starting with Piplup, you end up with Empoleon and eventually Dialga - and I needed a Psychic-type and was looking for a Trick Room-setter and my options were Bronzong and Gallade, and having used Gallade previously, it's just too easy to use. So I went for Bronzong. But if Mega's aren't in this game.. Then I'll still need a Fighting-type and I'll probably use a support-based Gallade (whatever that is).

Main Squad:
1. Empoleon: Water/Steel
- NN: Pingo
2. Lopunny (Mega): Normal/Fighting - I'll probably still use Lopunny even if Mega's are not included.
- NN: Laporei
3. Togekiss: Fairy/Flying <- Again, this is if we get some of Platinum mixed in, which I very much hope so.
- NN: Billy Zhu
4. Skuntank/Drapion: Poison/Dark: Stunky is far more accessable early on, but Drapion is much easier to use. Might end up using both.
- NN: Moufou / NN: Rasco
5. Carnivine: Grass
- NN: Ortente
6. Froslass: Ice/Ghost
- NN: Yukimono

Back-up bench:
Bug/Ground: Wormadam Sandy
- NN: Niselle
Rock: Rampardos
- NN: Charko
Psychic: Bronzong - Disclaimer, if Mega's are not in the game, the logical replacement would be Gallade, but it's too good.
- NN: Archéo
Electric/Fire: Rotom Heat
- NN: Tisma
Dragon: Dialga
- NN: Iaru

HM-buddy: Only if necessary.
Bibarel
- NN: Casto / Cassie

In any case, this team will be filled up nicely once I arrive at Eterna City. :)

The Nicknames are mostly shortened versions of the French names (which is a theme I just picked randomly). I think the only exceptions are Froslass' and Dialga's, which are variations of the Japanese names (Yukimenoko -> Yukimono and Dialga -> Diaruga -> Iaru) - and Togekiss, which is based of its classification as the Jubilee Pokémon (Billy Zhu -> Zhu Billy -> Ju Bilee) and an awkward genderbend reference to the Legend of Korra character Zhu Li (Togekiss are very feminine, but 88.1% are male).

I’ll probably start with Piplup but I want a challenge. For SwSh I forced myself to use a new team for each gym, but I always used SE types and it was kinda easy. I am thinking of doing same thing but always using weak types for each gym.

I kinda did the same. But I only used one super effective-type, one of the gyms type and one with a resist. So for Milo, I think I used Thwackey, Galarian Meowth and Sizzlipede. It was still too easy.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I still don't know whether I'll buy BD/SP at all or just wait for Legends Arceus, but I have some basic team ideas for both. Assuming they're going with the Platinum Pokedex because Porygon-Z was in the announcement trailer, I'm thinking:

Brilliant Diamond:
-Torterra
-Floatzel
-Rapidash
-Staraptor
-Toxicroak
-Gardevoir

Shining Pearl:
-Infernape
-Roserade
-Togekiss
-Vaporeon
-Mamoswine
-Luxray

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Not gonna lie, I'm tempted to go with the female character for BD so I can have an excuse to name her Julia K, named after Julia Krystal from Yugioh Arc-V who used Gem-Knights, with her boss monster being Gem-Knight Lady Brilliant Diamond.

As for my team, I think it'll be:
- Infernape
- Leafeon (if Platinum dex)
- Gastrodon (was in my original Diamond team)
- Staraptor
- Luxray
- ??? (TBD)

If I go with Torterra (like in my original run), I'll likely swap Gastrodon with Floatzel, a mon who I have never used, and I'd like to use at least one mon who I haven't used originally in these games.

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I'll be grabbing Shining Pearl, be playing as the male protagonist (I'm one of those weirdos that likes Lucas more than Dawn, what do), and as for my team, I'm probably just gonna run a Gen 4 only team, so Pokemon that were introduced in the fourth generation. Piplup will be my starter, and I'm sure I'll pick up Starly in the first route. Roserade is a definite must. Lucario too.

All gonna depend on what Pokemon are available.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
I see a lot of people picking what game they will be playing plus an entire set of 6 Pokémon plus reserves. I’ll end up buy both games but haven’t decided which version will be my main game yet. The only thing I know is that I’ll end up choosing Chimchar since I do not care too much for the other two starters and then I’ll probably just build a team as I go and see what happens.

Bus

They've heard the whole hate for HMs pretty clearly. I'm sure they'll stick to the original game as much as they can, but they'll probably have items or something to help with the HM part just like how Let's Go had the 'HM Abilities' or Alola had the 'Call' feature to handle it.

That said, I don't know what my full team will be, but I'm thinking:

1) Either Empoleon or Torterra (I go Empoleon every time; might finally switch it up)
2) Rampardos
3) Vespiquen
4) Gastrodon
5) Driftblim
6) Garchomp

Things are subject to change, though. If they make more pokemon available (like they did after a certain period in the game for the Gen 3 remakes) then I'll probably switch out some things on my second play through. The first is likely to be just 4th Gen guys.

And if Skorupi is easier to find, I'll probably use a Drapion. I swear in the original game, I could never find that thing in the Safari Zone no matter how much I looked. It was always just Bibarel, Maril, and like two others that could be found everywhere. Never once saw a Skorupi. I had to wait until X/Y to finally get one lol.