• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Planned Teams Thread

legendarypokemonjunkie17

Back in MY day...
I'm kind of in the same mindset!

I've done plenty of runs with both Torterra and Infernape (even both) and I'm 100% commited to using Empoleon this time.

When I think of it, using a Fire-type cheapens the game a lot in Sinnoh. A few days ago, a Youtuber (Flygon something) finished a Diamond Nuzlocke with JUST Fire-types. Diamond. So just Infernape and Rapidash.

Why are you picking Infernape with the DP-dex and subsequently picking Rapidash if the Dpt-dex? I mean if you don't mind running the horse even when you have far more options (Flareon, Houndoom, Magmortar, HeatRotom), why not use it when the Dex is more limited (DP) and free-up your starter choice?

Also, I see you are doubting on a Grass-type and end up picking up Carnivine, but you already have a Grass-type in Abomasnow? Similarly, in the Dpt-team you have Rapidash ánd Magmortar?

I'm picking:
Empoleon, Lopunny, Togekiss, Skuntank, Carnivine and Froslass.

So I definitely wasn't properly caffeinated when I made that post and just realized how messy that was. I'd probably sub Infernape for the horse in that case, but then I'd be eliminating Floatzel in favor of Empoleon. OR I could just pick the penguin and choose to complete the run without it? Not for nothing but I can't remember a time where I decided to ditch my starter, but that may be an option if I don't care enough? As far as the platinum dex, I'd eliminate Rapidash and consider Drapion, Toxicroak, or Abomasnow whereas they're 3 of the handful of Sinnoh pokemon that I've never actually used in a playthrough.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
So I definitely wasn't properly caffeinated when I made that post and just realized how messy that was. I'd probably sub Infernape for the horse in that case, but then I'd be eliminating Floatzel in favor of Empoleon. OR I could just pick the penguin and choose to complete the run without it? Not for nothing but I can't remember a time where I decided to ditch my starter, but that may be an option if I don't care enough? As far as the platinum dex, I'd eliminate Rapidash and consider Drapion, Toxicroak, or Abomasnow whereas they're 3 of the handful of Sinnoh pokemon that I've never actually used in a playthrough.

I find Abomasnow to be tricky to use. It's basically the constant Hail-setting that gets in the way of the team. I mean I think I've never ran more then maybe two Ice-types ever on the same team that wasn't an Ice-type only challenge. It's just hard when you have Abomasnow out for 2 maybe 3 turns and then your next switch-in has to deal with 2 turns of passive damage from Hail (unless they can somehow take advantage of it (Blizzard on an Empoleon ie.).

Drapion and Toxicroak are definitely both usable. Toxicroak has that nice Dry Skin-ability and as for Poison-types, they don't share that many weaknesses as Drapion only has to worry about Ground-types (which Abomasnow fixes quite easily).

NeganTheSavior

Right now, the plan is:

Infernape
Staraptor
Luxray
Floatzel
Roserade
Garchomp

If I find out there'll be more options for fire types, I might pick Torterra and rethink my team from there.

Mikeachu

Soul Trainer
The return of my pets team, pokemon representing real life pets my family's had over the years.

Torterra
Purugly
Durant if possible
Umbreon (hoping it gets Toxic back)
Smeargle
Gyarados (pet snake)

I hope I can get a Torterra with it's HA this time.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Right now, the plan is:

Infernape
Staraptor
Luxray
Floatzel
Roserade
Garchomp

If I find out there'll be more options for fire types, I might pick Torterra and rethink my team from there.

That's an inspired team if I ever saw one. :p

This is not going to be a knock at you. Everyone is entitled to use whatever team they like to use (and I think I've used quite a similar team in one of my earliest playthroughs of Diamond). That being said...

It's pretty much the quintessential Sinnoh-squad. It's kind of sad how Sinnoh subtly forces this team upon a player. I mean this is the most straightforward team out there: Good type coverage, great speed across the board, high offense, no gimmicks and it just gets the job done without much trouble. And you can easily get all of these incredibly early. In fact, even Gible gets handed to the player way(ward) too early as well. I mean with overzealous amounts of grinding you can have this team by the 3rd gym. Okay, with the exception of the Roserade since you get your first Shiny Stone at Iron Island, but a Garchomp pretty soon nonetheless..

And after some time, people will start to ditch their Luxray, since it lacked coverage options once they get given a Riolu-egg.

Imagine walking up to Whitney with a Tyranitar. Hi Wattson! Here are my Salamence and Metagross.

And yes, practically, you can actually do this in SM as well, with Salamence actually spawning on MeleMele-island (1% SOS-call on the 1% chance you find a Bagon). But at least those odds are low to say the least. Gible spawns are less rare then GEODUDE in that cave AND you get Earthquake to go along with it.

Asking for a friend, but why even bother with Roserade? You've got Luxray for Wake (and Cynthia's Milotic), Floatzel for Bertha. I mean Wake and Bertha have Quagsire/Whiscash, but are those worth it to train-up an entire pokémon?

NeganTheSavior

That's an inspired team if I ever saw one. :p

This is not going to be a knock at you. Everyone is entitled to use whatever team they like to use (and I think I've used quite a similar team in one of my earliest playthroughs of Diamond). That being said...

It's pretty much the quintessential Sinnoh-squad. It's kind of sad how Sinnoh subtly forces this team upon a player. I mean this is the most straightforward team out there: Good type coverage, great speed across the board, high offense, no gimmicks and it just gets the job done without much trouble. And you can easily get all of these incredibly early. In fact, even Gible gets handed to the player way(ward) too early as well. I mean with overzealous amounts of grinding you can have this team by the 3rd gym. Okay, with the exception of the Roserade since you get your first Shiny Stone at Iron Island, but a Garchomp pretty soon nonetheless..

And after some time, people will start to ditch their Luxray, since it lacked coverage options once they get given a Riolu-egg.

Imagine walking up to Whitney with a Tyranitar. Hi Wattson! Here are my Salamence and Metagross.

And yes, practically, you can actually do this in SM as well, with Salamence actually spawning on MeleMele-island (1% SOS-call on the 1% chance you find a Bagon). But at least those odds are low to say the least. Gible spawns are less rare then GEODUDE in that cave AND you get Earthquake to go along with it.

Asking for a friend, but why even bother with Roserade? You've got Luxray for Wake (and Cynthia's Milotic), Floatzel for Bertha. I mean Wake and Bertha have Quagsire/Whiscash, but are those worth it to train-up an entire pokémon?

You pretty much answered your own question with the Quagsire/Whiscash thing. And yes, it's worth it to train up an entire Pokemon to be ready for that. At least for me. It's been a long time since I've played DPP, but I know the times you mentioned aren't the only times I'll be encountering a water/ground type throughout the journey. Not to mention Water Absorb, which is one of Quagsire's special abilities.

Also, we don't know yet what other options there will be that weren't available in the original games. There's also a possibility of swapping Roserade for Glaceon if Eevee is an option like it was in Platinum.

For the time being, this is my team and I'm not changing it.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Right now, the plan is:

Infernape
Staraptor
Luxray
Floatzel
Roserade
Garchomp

Great taste. My exact team as well even if it’s infamously common. Using your favorites>trying to stand out from others is always the plan for at least the first play through of a new release.

NeganTheSavior

Great taste. My exact team as well even if it’s infamously common. Using your favorites>trying to stand out from others is always the plan for at least the first play through of a new release.

Thank you. Yeah, sometimes when I'd replay DPP, I'd try to change things up a bit every now and then, but all I really care about is having fun at this point in my life. Familiarity is comfort in this case.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Thank you. Yeah, sometimes when I'd replay DPP, I'd try to change things up a bit every now and then, but all I really care about is having fun at this point in my life. Familiarity is comfort in this case.
Agreed. I completely understand wanting to try out new teams and do it myself most of the time but sometimes it’s fun blazing through Sinnoh with “Ol’ Reliable” the team

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Agreed. I completely understand wanting to try out new teams and do it myself most of the time but sometimes it’s fun blazing through Sinnoh with “Ol’ Reliable” the team
Speaking “Ol’ Reliable” I’m surprised not many people have said they wanted to use our lord and savior Bidoof.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
I stated previously that I wasn’t going to have a team planned out. Only really knowing that I will be picking Chimchar since I don’t care too much for the other two starters. I have to add that if there is Home compatibility at release I may choose to use Manaphy. I have 4 untouched ones from the Pokémon Ranger eggs way back when so possibly getting use out of one them wouldn’t be such a bad idea.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
There's a part of me that wants to use my original Diamond team of Torterra/Staraptor/Luxray/Lucario/Toxicroak/Floatzel, but another part of me that wants that team to be specifically unique. GenIV is my favorite generation, with a lot of strong ties to Sinnoh. I've used everything a handful of times so nothing in the dex will be new.

I have a feeling what I'll end up doing is just grabbing a bunch of things and doing a rotating party and just off feel. Hardest decision is going to be picking my starter. I love all 3 so much!

WalesNote

I've been liking the idea of using rotation teams in the games more and more. It can keep things interesting to swap out one pokemon for another throughout your journey, if you don't mind the extra grind.

Starter ideas - Infernape / Empoleon
Rotation ideas - Luxray / Staraptor / Roserade / Floatzel / Rotom / Rampardos / Gardevoir / Leafeon / Houndoom / Lucario / Steelix / Abomansow / Weavile / Magnezone / Scisor / Umbreon / Jolteon / Skuntank

So many poké friends to choose from. Hmmmm.

pokeplayer9994

For me, I want to try something different. Basically, a "No Starter Team". Simply, my team doesn't have any of the three starters. I pretty much pick a starter than box it after the first capture. From there, I build my team. Here's what I have planned.

-Roserade (My favorite Grass-Type, period. I MUST have it in my team.)
-Staraptor (For Flying around the region.)
-Floatzel
-Hippowdon (I need a Ground-Type for coverage and I don't want to use Garchomp.)
-Luxray (Probably my best bet as far as Electric goes. I'm going to need one for Crasher Wake's Gyarados.)
-Weavile (Need a Dark-Type to handle Psychic-Types.)

If I need HM Slaves (Which I hope doesn't happen.) I'll probably have Bidoof or something.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
If we can transfer Pokemon from Home, I'm planning on adding my Spiritomb from SWSH partly because it didn't get that much focus during my Crown Tundra playthrough & partly because I never got to use one in the original games (the same goes for my Porygon if we're getting Platinum inclusions)

I'm still debating on the rest of my team though aside from Infernape

Nyter

Island Challenger
If it is compatible with Pokemon Home (which I hope) then I will make it so that I have all 3 starters by resetting til I have all 3... so:

- Chimchar
- Piplup
- Turtwig
- Pachirisu
- Chatot
- Riolu

... and then ofc evolve them

At the moment I want to at least use Infernape, Alakazam and Garchomp. Beyond that I'll see what the preorder gift is and what I encounter.

I'll probably use more than 6 to not overlevel.

MartínK

I played Platinum and the Porygon line is confirmed to appear so i have hope that they are going to use the Platinum Dex

With HMs

Torterra, Garchomp, Lucario, Staraptor, Birabel (HM slave) and Golem (Another HM slave)

Without HM

Torterra, Garchomp, Lucario, Staraptor, Luxray and Gyarados