• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Plastic Surgery: A necessary (life saving) procedure, or vanity taken to extremes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argon

Banned
Those are the exceptions to the rule. And even those can prevent you from a normal life. I could see the eyes affecting the ability to drive (or at least obtain a license), and if you aren't a swimmer, webbed feet or hands doesn't sound very fun.

Cel: I was only saying how people might have an advantage from those disorders. What if the man with webbed hands was a swimmer? He can still have an advantage. How about a runner who was born with long legs?

Strants

The purpose of reconstructive surgery is to restore proper function to body parts. It doesn't have to be life or death, but we all have the right to want a normal-functioning body without it being labeled as vanity.
All I'm saying is that the two are very similar, in that they are both just for looks. As I have said, I can't see what people seen to have against vanity (alone anyways, it CAN be taken to an extreme).

All I'm saying is that the two are very similar, in that they are both just for looks. As I have said, I can't see what people seen to have against vanity (alone anyways, it CAN be taken to an extreme).

Not necessarily considering having half a nose means that your nose might not be functioning properly, or at least not as well as it was functioning before your accident.

But I agree about your other point. Vanity is a person's choice and they should be allowed to spend their money to alter their body however they want. Unless you put your family in financial danger, then you aren't hurting anybody else.

Last edited:

sanjay120

?(???)?
It would certainly be able to condition the mind from that situation, although it would not be easy and perhaps be painful.

And instead of spending thousands of dollars on years of therapy that might not work (I've actually never heard of a success and believe me it's not like homosexuality where people claim to be 'cured' and other people are like "well even if you could cure me what's the point because being gay is getting easier all the time" because a sex-change is almost never perfect and many people would give a lot for a second option so you'd definitely hear more about it.), you could just get SRS for about the price of an old car and be done with it. (well yeah there's the horomones and sometimes voice training but that goes outside this thread)

Although gender identity disorder is a problem, there are some people who do it merely for non-medical purposes.

Elaborate? People who get SRS for non-medical purposes, or people who get plastic surgery for non-medical purposes? If the former I must say that no one in their right mind would do that, if the latter then well yeah of course but that's not what I'm talking about.

I see nothing wrong with vanity, and that's not even the issue I'm concerned with. It's whether health care should cover it.

Last edited:

ChronaMew

Demonic Warrior
I've read through most of this topic, and I don't think that this was brought up -

At times, reconstructive surgery (Done mostly for cosmetic purposes) isn't all out of vanity, but necessity for a job. While the friends and family of the person half-burned in a car crash won't mind it, society in general would find him a little freaky, in a way.

Why am I bringing this up, you may ask?

How many times have you seen someone with facial piercings or a tattoo fired from a job or not hired in the first place? Business owners don't want to hire people that could potentially turn away customers. Although many times no harm actually would come out of it, most people would be a little disgusted if someone with a charred hand was working at a fast food joint, or touching any merchandise. It's a little like leprosy, except not contagious in this case.

Atoyont

Brains for brawn
How many times have you seen someone with facial piercings or a tattoo fired from a job or not hired in the first place? Business owners don't want to hire people that could potentially turn away customers. Although many times no harm actually would come out of it, most people would be a little disgusted if someone with a charred hand was working at a fast food joint, or touching any merchandise. It's a little like leprosy, except not contagious in this case.
Tattoo removal is not a form of plastic/cosmetic surgery (in this case anyway). And I honestly know of no one who has gotten piercings that, just because they wanted a job, used plastic surgery to fix it. Typically it's because they regret the choice of piercing a random body part for the heck of it.

Yes, this hasn't been brought up, but it's typically a non-point in this scenario.

Atoyont

Brains for brawn
Ah, yes, that would.
That point has been brought up, then. And that's when it would go under a "necessary procedure."

Status
Not open for further replies.