• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Platinum: Can't choose final Pokemon!

Nibble

Leafeon Lover
Okay so I've done most of the game and am coming up to facing the Elite 4 for the second time. My first try was easy enough but I'm worried about my team for my second go. I know that the Elite 4 are vastly improved.

My team so far is:

Infernape - 62
Mild | Blaze
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Flamethrower

Zapdos - 60 (I wasn't sure on this moveset but decided to use Fly to save myself a team member)
Relaxed | Pressure
- Thunder
- Thunderbolt (for accuracy when the power of Thunder is not needed)
- Roost
- Fly

Palkia@Lustrous Orb - 70 (Not sure what moves to teach it!)
Bashful | Pressure
- Spacial Rend
- ?
- ?
- ?

Glaceon@Icicle Plate - 59
Quiet | Snow Cloak
- Ice Beam
- Blizzard
- ?
- ?

Leafeon@Leftovers - 58 (Waiting it to hit the high levels for swords dance + leaf blade)
Impish | Leafe Guard
- Synthesis
- Energy Ball
- Giga Drain
- GrassWhistle

I was thinking I need a Psychic/Ghost type more than any other since this is probably the one I lack the most. I was thinking maybe a Gengar or Espeon to give me Psychic coverage - although Gengar would probably be better thanks to its huge movepool.

Any help on which Pokemon should take that last spot is appreciated. As are any tips on my current team. (Although I already know that the natures are not perfect and some of the moves are far from competitive standards but I'm not really concerned about that. I just want to beat the Elite 4).

:)

Purple_Tangrowth

A DRUM, A DRUM!...
Your team is getting there. It would probably do ok against the elite 4 but lets make it better!
I'll be probably suggesting a lot of move tutor moves so get ready to go and earn lots of frontier points at the battle frontier (or wtv it's called) !!!!

Sorry to bring the depressing news but you should get rid of earthquake on infernape :( it does almost identical coverage as close combat so having them on the same set is almost useless.. I would replace it with thunder punch. then get rid of flamethrower and replace it with u turn. That's what I recommend

Zapdos doesn't need both thunder and thunder bolt. I would choose thunderbolt because of its reliability accuracy wise. Replace thunder with heat wave. This is mainly for hitting ice types super effectively which you're weak to.
I would prefer it if fly was replaced with air slash on zapdos however, if you need fly for flying around to cities during ingame play, that's totally fine and you could keep it. I wanted to get rid of it because 1. when that move is used as an attack, it takes two turns to deal damage and a weaker move would probably deal more damage over two turns therefore it's not the most effective. 2. zapdos's sp.attack is around 30 base points higher than it's attack which is a big difference

Glaceon I'm not completely sure about but the last two moves can be shadow ball and toxic.

You're right about your last pokemon too! I would say gengar.

I'll leave the gengar set and other comments to other people who will surely come give you advice. good luck!

Aura Sensei™

User Title
Infernape would be fine with Stone Edge / Flamethrower / Close Combat / Thunderpunch.

If you use Gengar go with Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt / Focus Miss / Destiny Bond imo.

X-Scissor > GrassWhistle and Return > Synthesis on Leafeon. Go with Swords Dance and Leaf Blade on the other slots when you get them.

Emeraldfan

Leaving the difficult parts for me eh? :p

Glaceon
Modest
~ Ice Beam
~ Shadow Ball
~ Signal Beam
~ Toxic / Wish

First three moves are pretty much the only options. Last is to stall or stall, in two different ways. Signal Beam is BF move tutor (shards though).

Palkia
Timid
~ Surf
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Earth Power (to be Aura Sphere)
~ Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Flamethrower / Draco Meteor.

Spacial Rend is not bad, but only 5 pp is not much. And then there's the possibility of hax. First three moves hit everything, bar Shedinja. Flamethrower solves that, but it's not that much of a problem. Ice Beam / Tbolt or Flamethrower is based on coverage you might need. Or just Draco Meteor, to go BANG :)

Nibble

Leafeon Lover
Okay, so I actually went ahead and did the E4 anyway and I guess it's because my team are "mainly EV Trained" I pretty much tore them apart! Anyway I'm still interested in making my team better so I hope I can keep this thread going.

Your team is getting there. It would probably do ok against the elite 4 but lets make it better!
I'll be probably suggesting a lot of move tutor moves so get ready to go and earn lots of frontier points at the battle frontier (or wtv it's called) !!!!

Sorry to bring the depressing news but you should get rid of earthquake on infernape :( it does almost identical coverage as close combat so having them on the same set is almost useless.. I would replace it with thunder punch. then get rid of flamethrower and replace it with u turn. That's what I recommend

Okay, I took most of your advice but this was the only thing that concerned me. I actually only have this due to the fact that I have nothing on my team that is super-effective against pure electricity? I figured that since my team has so much coverage against Water/Flying already I/the team would benefit more from this move even if Infernape himself wouldn't.

Also, an update. Because I hate Palkia, and it's utterly phallic sprite. I had to change it! I replaced it with Giratina, which although means I lose out on the Water type, I gain the Ghost/Psychic coverage that I needed before.

I chose a Dragon Dancing Gyarados as the final member of my party. Which now looks like this.

Infernape@Life Orb - 65
Mild | Blaze
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Flamethrower

Zapdos@Choice Specs - 61
Relaxed | Pressure
- Thunder (Still unsure of what to have instead)
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Fly

Giratina@Life Orb - 70 (Not sure what moves to teach it!)
Bashful | Pressure
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Dragon Pulse
- Shadow Force (Hate that this is two turns but got rid of the other Ghost move out of idiocy :( )

Glaceon@Icicle Plate - 59
Quiet | Snow Cloak
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic

Leafeon@Leftovers - 58 (Waiting it to hit the high levels for swords dance + leaf blade)
Impish | Leaf Guard
- Synthesis
- Energy Ball
- Giga Drain
- GrassWhistle

Gyarados@Life Orb
Jolly | Intimidate
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Also tempted to trade over my Rayquaza from Emerald instead of Zapdos, simply because it's awesome.

Purple_Tangrowth

A DRUM, A DRUM!...
Well now you have a pokemon with a move that's super effective against electric (gyra)
And close combat is almost just powerful as earthquake even if earthquake hits super effectively. earthquake hitting SE is 200 while close combat hitting neutrally is 180