• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Platinum Competitive Team-to-be

Dresden

Pokémon Master
Updated team is now looking to be as such:

350.png

Milotic@ Leftovers/???
Surf
Ice Beam
Recover
Mirror Coat/???

461.png

Weavile@Choice Band
Pursuit
Ice Shard
Night Slash
Brick Break

482.png

Azelf@Choice Scarf
Explosion
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower
Psychic

212.png

Scizor@???
U-Turn
Bullet Punch
Superpower
Pursuit

dpmfa392.png

Infernape@Life Orb
Close Combat
Flamethrower
Grass Knot
Stone Edge

51.png

Dugtrio@Choice Scarf
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Night Slash
Aerial Ace

Last edited:

Master_of_grass

War Never Changes
Haven't actually ever played 4th gen yet, nor even owned a DS. Just ordered one, eagerly awaiting its arrival, and planning a competitive team. Tell me whatcha think. Nature/EV suggestions welcome.

477.png

Dusknoir@Leftovers
Impish
252Hp/28Atk/228Def

Pressure
Will-o-Wisp
Pain Split
Shadow Sneak
Thunderpunch

461.png

Weavile@Expert Belt
Jolly
252Atk/252Spd/4Hp

Pressure
Pursuit
Ice Punch
Night Slash
Brick Break

65.png

Alakazam@Choice Scarf
Modest
252Spd/252SpA/4Def
Synchronize
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Trick

212.png
//
448.png

Scizor /@choice band
Adamant
252Atk/252Hp/4Def

Technician
Bug Bite
Bullet Punch
Superpower

Pursuit

241.png

Miltank@leftovers
Impish
252Hp/220Def/36Spd

Scrappy
Milk Drink
Seismic toss
Heal Bell
Thunder wave

dpmfa392.png

Infernape@Expert Belt
Naughty
200Atk/56SpA/252Spd

Blaze
Close Combat
Flamethrower
Grass Knot
Thunder Punch

suggestions in bold

Last edited:

Final

I Submit to No One
Haven't actually ever played 4th gen yet, nor even owned a DS. Just ordered one, eagerly awaiting its arrival, and planning a competitive team. Tell me whatcha think. Nature/EV suggestions welcome.

477.png

Dusknoir@Leftovers
Pressure
Will-o-Wisp
Pain Split
Earthquake
Thunderpunch

Dusknoir wants an Impish Nature with the EV spread of 252 HP / 28 Atk / 228 Def. It lets Dusknoir serve as a Physical tank and keep Physical threats from ripping through your team. I would probably also consider Earthquake over Shadow Punch as while it is STABed, its low base power is a letdown. Earthquake covers Heatran trying to grab a Flash Fire boost from Will-O-Wisp.

461.png

Weavile@ Choice Band / Life Orb
Pressure
Pursuit
Ice Shard
Night Slash
Low Kick

Weavile wants a Choice Band or Life Orb with a Jolly Nature with the EV spread of 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe. The given EV spread lets Weavile outrun +Speed Natured base 120s not holding a Choice Scarf and anything slower. Ice Shard lets Weavile perform his duties better. It should probably be used over Ice Punch or maybe Night Slash. This lets Weavile take care of Dragon Dance Salamence who is a huge threat that no team can afford to be unprepared for. Do not directly switch in on it though since Weavile will not be able to survive any attack it dishes out. Low Kick is also the better option over Brick Break as it hits the vast majority of OU harder than Brick Break although if you don't have access to HGSS moves, Brick Break will have to do.

65.png

Alakazam@ Choice Specs
Synchronize
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Trick

Alakazam should not be trying to set up Calm Mind in OU since it will die to pretty much anything. Using a Choice Specs set with a Timid Nature and max Special Attack and Speed is probably better. Trick should be used in the last spot so you can cripple Blissey and other walls. Trick is very helpful for dealing with Blissey since Focus Blast will not 2HKO her.

212.png
//
448.png

Scizor // Lucario@???
Technician // Steadfast
U-Turn // Close Combat
Bullet Punch // Bullet Punch
Superpower // Stone Edge
Pursuit // Swords Dance

Scizor is probably a better choice than Lucario considering the mainly offensive nature of your team. He wants an Adamant Nature with the EV spread of 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe. He also wants U-Turn over X-Scissor so he can perform his scouting duties a lot better, Bullet Punch over Iron Head since not only does Bullet Punch greatly outclass it, but it allows Scizor to revenge kill a good chunk of OU, Superpower over Brick Break since this Scizor has no time to set up and it hits Magnezone and Heatran a lot harder. You will need to catch them as they switch in as both will outspeed Scizor. With U-Turn performing your scouting duties, predicting them switch in is much easier. This is especially important against Magnezone who Scizor is helpless against. Lucario is by no means bad, but Scizor seems to benefit your team more.

241.png

Miltank@Leftovers
Scrappy
Milk Drink
Return / Body Slam
Heal Bell
Earthquake

Leftovers as the hold item with an Impish Nature and the EV spread of 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe is best for OU. The Speed EVs put Miltank ahead of Jolly Tyranitar. Body Slam is an option over Return for some Paralysis and a damaging move in one.

dpmfa392.png

Infernape@Life Orb
Blaze
Close Combat
Flamethrower
Grass Knot
Stone Edge

A MixApe set generally uses Life Orb as its hold item and has HP [Ice] over Stone Edge. That is the specially-based one. Anyway, it should do fine as it is. Oh and for MixApe, a Naive Nature with the standard spread of 64 Atk / 252 Sp. Atk / 192 Spe is the best one for OU.

Suggestions bolded. Hope they help.

Dresden

Pokémon Master
Thanks so much for suggestions, but I was actually thinking since Dusknoir's base Def and SpDef are equal, that I'd build him more as a special wall and have Miltank be the physical wall. Any suggestions for that route?

Also, looking at Blaziken in place of Infernape. They're pretty comparable, except Infernape is a bit faster and Blaziken is a bit stronger attack-wise. Same build otherwise?

Last edited:

TrainerRed

Rookie Trainer
Whats your defense against a heatran or a ground pokemon? sizor, lucario and infernape in my opinion cant stand up to him... and i think it might be a great counter to your weavile?

Dresden

Pokémon Master
Whats your defense against a heatran or a ground pokemon? sizor, lucario and infernape in my opinion cant stand up to him... and i think it might be a great counter to your weavile?

Yeah, I did notice a lack of water on my team. I'm still considering that. As for Heatran, Dusknoir can EQ it.

Okay, maybe get rid of Miltank, and...

230.png

Kingdra
Waterfall
Dragon Pulse
Ice Beam
Dragon Dance/????

Last edited:

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
^ Don't use Dragon Dance and two Special moves on the same set. It's pretty pointless. I'd run Outrage > Dragon Pulse and find something else to replace Ice Beam.

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
^ Yeah, an All-Special set may be viable but I wouldn't recommend it. After a Draco Meteor, you will be forced to switch, really. At least stick a set of Specs on it, although I'd just do this;

230.png

Kingdra @ Life Orb / Leftovers
• Adamant Nature
• 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Outrage
~ Return

Pretty simple, really. But effective.

Last edited:

Final

I Submit to No One
Thanks so much for suggestions, but I was actually thinking since Dusknoir's base Def and SpDef are equal, that I'd build him more as a special wall and have Miltank be the physical wall. Any suggestions for that route?

Also, looking at Blaziken in place of Infernape. They're pretty comparable, except Infernape is a bit faster and Blaziken is a bit stronger attack-wise. Same build otherwise?

For Dusknoir, you could just use a Careful Nature and move the Defense EVs into Special Defense. I'm not too sure how well it would do though.

As far as Blaziken goes, it is outclassed by Infernape in OU because of his better Speed and movepool. The extra power is good but that's really all Blaziken has over Infernape. Infernape hits hard anyway.

Dresden

Pokémon Master
So, I notice that I have no Electric-type attacks on this team, and I think that's a problem. Would Azelf or Gardevoir be a good replacement for Alakazam? If so, what are the best movesets?

Final

I Submit to No One
So, I notice that I have no Electric-type attacks on this team, and I think that's a problem. Would Azelf or Gardevoir be a good replacement for Alakazam? If so, what are the best movesets?

Azelf would be better offensively.

A Mixed Choice Scarf set could work:

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe
~ Explosion ~
~ Thunderbolt ~
~ Flamethrower / Fire Blast ~
~ Psychic ~

This might actually work better than Alakazam. Azelf still outspeeds Timid Choice Scarf Gengar and the Dragon Dancers after a single Dragon Dance. Anyway, Psychic is STABed but use it cautiously as Scizor, Tyranitar and Weavile will all happily switch in on it and take out Azelf with Pursuit. Flamethrower / Fire Blast covers Scizor and you can actually use it to turn the tables on a Choiced Scizor stuck on anything not named Bullet Punch. Fire Blast's accuracy can be a letdown but its still more than useable. Thunderbolt covers Gyarados and Azelf will easily outspeed it even after Gyarados has a Dragon Dance behind it. Explosion is used for dealing with Blissey and Snorlax as Trick would. Even with little Attack investment, it is still enough to take them out. If the loss of power is a concern, you can run a Rash Nature with the same EV spread since Azelf will still outspeed any Dragon Dancer after they have a Dragon Dance behind them but then you are outsped by Timid Choice Scarf Gengar and he will happily Shadow Ball Azelf. Against Tyranitar and Scizor, you will have to be careful of them since they pose a threat to this set. Tyranitar will have to be really weakened and Scizor will have to be Choiced and stuck on anything other than Bullet Punch for you to deal with them.

Azelf can run an all Physical version of this set with Zen Headbutt in place of Psychic, Ice Punch or Fire Punch in place of Flamethrower (Ice Punch is better in my experience since it murders Mence easily), and U-Turn, Trick or ThunderPunch in the Thunderbolt slot. Use an Adamant or Jolly Nature if going down that route with a spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe.

An all Special version is essentially the above set with Trick or U-Turn over Explosion. Use a Modest or Timid Nature for that set with 4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe.

Gardevoir could pull off a similar set but Azelf is a much better revenge killer in OU. Gardevoir at best can only outrun Adamant Gyarados after a Dragon Dance assuming Gardevoir is Timid and Jolly Weavile with a Modest Nature. Gardevoir however is studier on the Special side but that is really all it has over Azelf. Azelf is sturdier on the Physical side (lol) barring Tracing Intimidate from Gyarados or Salamence, has a higher base Special Attack and Speed and a much better base Attack so it can viably run a Mixed Scarf set.

Another option worth consideration is Grass Knot. It will give Azelf something to hit Tyranitar with but it will only be a 2HKO on 252 HP / 0 Sp. Def versions after Stealth Rock if running a Naive or Timid Nature but by using a Rash or Modest Nature, you have a higher chance of achieving it without Stealth Rock. Hidden Power [Fighting] can be used too although it is still a 2HKO after Stealth Rock with a Timid or Naive Nature but you'll always 2HKO it if using a Modest or Rash Nature. Just watch out for Specially Defensive variants.

Last edited:

S.Bustathedog

What's this for? ^
Run shadow sneak over shadow punch on Dusknoir, just incase your faced with a ghost type, If you don't think you are going to survive run this set.

dusknor@ Lifeorb
Impish
EVs: 244Hp/36Atk/228Def
~Will-O-Wisp
~Fire Punch/Thunder Punch
~Shadow Sneak
~Pain split

With deciding about fire punch or thunder punch I suggest thunder punch as its better coverage for the rest off your team. the extra attack helps trust me I have used it and it hasn't let me down yet.

Thank you for reading hope it helped
Bye

Master_of_grass

War Never Changes
Heres an answer to your heatran problem

Swampert @Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 58 Atk / 212 Def
Impish Nature
-Earthquake
-Avalanche
-Waterfall/Stone Edge
-Stealth Rock/Protect

This guy runs rings around heatran. Its pretty solid and should OHKO it with an EQ

Final

I Submit to No One
^ Just watch out for Hidden Power [Grass] when using Swampert since Heatran outspeeds it and Hidden Power [Grass] will KO.

A Choice Scarf Dugtrio although it can't really switch in directly on anything, checks any non-Shuca Berry Heatran so you can bring it in on Heatran after it has KOed something. Also, Shuca Berry Heatrans are generally leads so yeah.

Dugtrio @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge
~ Night Slash / Sucker Punch
~ Aerial Ace / Night Slash

An Adamant Nature is a must since Dugtrio needs the power. Especially without a Choice Band boosting its Attack. Even without a Choice Band, Dugtrio's STAB Earthquake still OHKOs Heatran as well as Infernape and Jolteon. Stone Edge can take out Gyarados and Salamence should they be weakened and Earthquake I'm pretty sure will still get the 2HKO on Blissey. Night Slash gets the usual KOs on the frail Psychic Types and Gengar (watch out for Timid Scarfed variants) should they be on low enough health while Sucker Punch works even with a Choice Scarf as a priority move for dealing with those Psychics and Gengar and in the last slot, Aerial Ace covers Heracross and Breloom but you can use Night Slash in that slot if using Sucker Punch in the third slot as some Pokemon will happily use Sucker Punch to set up.

Master_of_grass

War Never Changes
^Dam forgot about HP grass that was a tad silly of me thanks for the save final

Final

I Submit to No One
^Dam forgot about HP grass that was a tad silly of me thanks for the save final

I'm not too sure how common HP [Grass] Heatran is but it's just something to watch out for.

Last edited:

Master_of_grass

War Never Changes
I think its mainly specs, scarf and life orb sets that carry it or HP ice so its fairly common. I think you idea of dugtrio may work better but he has to be wary switching in because i won't even be able to take a hit from earth power let alone fire blast or HP grass

Final

I Submit to No One
I think its mainly specs, scarf and life orb sets that carry it or HP ice so its fairly common. I think you idea of dugtrio may work better but he has to be wary switching in because i won't even be able to take a hit from earth power let alone fire blast or HP grass

The main idea of Dugtrio is switching in on Heatran after Heatran has KOed something. That's the difference between a check and a counter.

Master_of_grass

War Never Changes
well fair enough then and heatran is very likely too KO something on this team easily since the team is infact heatran weak.