• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Platinum or HeartGold/SoulSilver?

Platinum or HG/SS?

• PLatinum

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • HeartGold/SoulSilver

Votes: 26 44.8%
  • I can't decide

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
We've had threads like this one,but now that they're old,you can vote in this poll.Don't forget to explain your choice thoroughly,not just "I like _ ".

I loved both games but I think I enjoyed SoulSilver more than Platinum. IIRC there's more to do in the latter, and besides Johto is a great region.

Also nostalgia.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
HG/SS by far. Platinum was just a shinier version of D/P, whereas I felt that even though HG/SS were remakes, they were far more enjoyable and refreshing than Platinum was.

Kalosian

So long
When choosing between Pokemon games, decisions are often hard to make. But this isn't one of them. For me, choosing my favorite out of the two options here is one of the easiest decisions to make. Below is my personal opinion on the matter.

Platinum is a much better game in every possible way. While I never disliked Diamond & Pearl, there were some things they could have done better. The Sinnoh Dex didn't have all non-legendary Sinnoh Pokemon, the Poketch only had one button, the surfing speed was slow and the Pokemon distribution was lacking at places, among other things. Fortunately, Platinum fixed all of these things, in addition to keeping everything D/P did well. It also added several fun new features like the Battleground, the Distortion World and the new Wi-Fi features. In addition to this, it brought back features from previous games like the Battle Frontier (with new facilities), Move Tutors, a stronger Elite Four on subsequent visits, Gym Leader rematches and more. There were more legendaries to catch as well as more things to do overall. The story and the characters were massively improved as well. The story and the game itself wasn't a rehash of a previous game, which was welcome. D/P didn't have any problems with training spots or the level curve, but Platinum improved on them in these areas as well, making training Pokemon and completing the Pokedex as easy as it could be for its time. Sinnoh is a great region, one of my favorites, it has a lot of interesting areas with great variation and there is a lot of stuff to do. The post-game areas are great, you have a large area to explore with lots of strong trainers and wild Pokemon not seen during the main story. The graphics and the designs were excellent, once again an improvement of D/P, almost everything looked great. The music was also excellent, adding several new great tracks over what we already had from D/P. Platinum was innovative for being a third game just like Emerald, and I liked that. I still like it even today, it is my 4th favorite game in the whole series at the moment, and in my opinion, it was without any doubt the very best from when it was new up until the existence of B/W.

HG/SS on the other hand... I didn't like them. I had high expectations on them, but everything fell flat to the floor and was shattered. Apart from the expected and obvious improvements regarding graphics/physics/mechanics, I don't think they improved on the originals. G/S/C often gets credit for how new and innovative they were for their time as they introduced things like breeding, shiny Pokemon, held items, day and night, happiness and more. They should get credit for introducing these things and only for actually introducing them, which they deserve. But at the same time, they had a lot of problems. The level curve was terrible, the Pokemon distribution is screwed, the story was bad even by Pokemon standards, the "post-game" was boring as Kanto was a shadow of its former self with several places being removed, and Johto was very small as it lacked a proper post-game and relied on Kanto for its final bosses and what little post-game it had.

Then HG/SS happened, and they didn't improve on the originals regarding any of these things. They kept all the horrible flaws from the originals and did nothing to make up for it. They could have added new innovative things, but they didn't, instead just keeping things from Platinum like the Battle Frontier and the Wi-Fi areas without any changes. They also removed features like the Underground, Secret Bases and contests, while changing others for the worse like the Gym Leader rematches. I didn't care much for the things they actually introduced, Pokeathlon and Voltorb Flip are two of my least favorite minigames, I never bothered with the Shiny leaves but they felt like a rushed thing that was added in last minute for another Trainer Card upgrade. The following Pokemon feature is to me the single most overrated and useless feature in the entire series. The "amazing" touch screen did nothing, it was very slow and inefficient to use to the point that the menus in D/P/P were better despite not using the touch screen. Personally, I don't think Game Freak utilized the touch screen in a good way before B/W, which was less forced than HG/SS but more convenient. The story in HG/SS was bad like in the originals, the characters (both new and old) weren't as interesting as in the ones in Platinum. The story and the characters were marginally improved at best, which wasn't enough. The Pokemon distribution is still screwed with Johto Pokemon being uncommon even in their own region, while the means of obtaining some Pokemon in the post-game are just ridiculous. Johto and Kanto are both small regions without many points of interest and the games lack the fun post-game that Platinum had. I didn't like the graphics that much either, a lot of the designs for Pokemon sprites and other things like the grass in the overworld irked me. The music was fine at places, but could have been better for the most part.

Even worse than all of this, the problem with the lack of good training spots was never fixed from the originals. I find it more or less impossible to train in HG/SS as there is no efficient way to rematch trainers and the wild Pokemon are at too low levels throughout the entire game. To me, a game centered about training Pokemon is just not fun if there is no way to do actually do so. This was always my main problem with HG/SS, and will always be. With all of this said, there were a few things I liked about HG/SS like the Dowsing Machine, the breeding improvements and the large amount of legendaries to catch, but that's about it. It is nothing to write home about either as other games in the series has done these things equally good or better anyway. HG/SS lacked all forms of innovation and creativity which is a shame seeing as the originals often gets praised for all of the innovation and creativity they offered when they were new. Nostalgia doesn't save them either. If anything, I am thankful for HG/SS showing me that nostalgia doesn't make a game, gameplay and having fun while playing does.

There is a lot more that can be said on this subject, but I'll leave it with this. HG/SS could have been epic, but all the opportunities and potential they had to become so were wasted. Instead, they turned out to be a mediocre rehash of a highly overrated trio of games. Because of that, Platinum will forever by the superior and best 4th gen game to me.

Last edited:

Prince Umbreon

Starfish and Coffee
The Distortion World was wicked awesome, it just made me sad that you could only go through it once. Other than that, Platinum was pretty much the same. Not much difference story wise from D/P. HGSS on the other hand combined both story lines from GS and Crystal, making a rather unique game even though they were essentially remakes.

skyradiant

To Each Future
Platinum is great; the mythos is interesting, Cyrus is a good villain, the Distortion World was amazing, the post-game was good, the story is above average, and Sinnoh is an awesome region. 4th favorite Pokémon game overall, behind White, White 2, and Omega Ruby.
SoulSilver, on the other hand, is literally my least favorite of the Pokémon games I've played. The story and characters aren't that interesting, Johto is pretty generic, and the post-game is just a rehash of the main game, except in Kanto and with even less plot. There is no justification for the need to get all of the Kanto badges since you've already beaten the league by that point.

TheEliteEmpoleon

I prefer Platinum. Mainly because it was my first Pokémon game, but there are other reasons. I found the storyline to be better, the mythology to be more interesting, and the features like the Underground to be more amusing. Don't get me wrong, HG/SS are still pretty good games, but being the ones I played right after Platinum, they didn't live up to the expectations Platinum gave me.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Both were great games,but I'll do a list of positives and negatives of the games:
Platinum:
+Much better storyline(better than any game before it had),I also liked the addition of Distortion World and Stark Mountain subplot
+Better regional Pokedex
+Gym Leaders,Elite Four and Cynthia had diverse teams and good movesets
+The region was huge
-While I liked Sinnoh,the snow path and marshlands were tedious to get through
-Neither the Gym Leaders nor the Elite Four had full teams in rematches
-I didn't particularly care for Super Contests(plain old Hoenn contests were better)
-Most of the dungeons were convoluted(especially Victory Road and Stark Mountain)
HeartGold/SoulSilver:
+Pokeathlon was more enjoyable than Super Contests(although R/S/E contests outclass them both)
+More legendaries and starter Pokemon to collect
+Some of the TMs are re-obtainable(such as Dragon Claw).
+New move tutor moves(I especially liked the addition of Low Kick)
+Johto is small,but it is my second favorite region
+New breeding mechanic
+Following Pokemon(I know it is an overrated feature,but I find it cute,I just wish it had more effect on the gameplay)
-The storyline hadn't improved at all
-Level pacing is still awful
-Voltorb Flip is entirely tedious
-Move Tutors require Battle Points to teach moves
-You can't get any of the location-based evolutions
-Gym Leaders and Elite Four have underwhelming teams
-Dowsing Machine wasn't as good as its Platinum equivalent(although both are outclassed by the one in Generation V)
So I liked Platinum a bit more than the remakes.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Soul Silver. I get more replay value out of it for all of the extra content that it has over Platinum, and that's without counting the Kanto portion of the game.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
HG/SS for sure. Walking Pokemon was the most amazing feature there is. I loved that game's focus on bonding with your mons by letting them out of their Pokeballs. This was amazing, and I'll never look back at Platinum again which only had Amity Square, which was lame as hell for not letting me walk with the mons I want. Also, the Pokewalker. <3 Yay. So, HG/SS by far.

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!
I love both, but I chose HGSS. :) Part of it is because I grew up with Gen II, so nostalgia played a factor, but I also liked the setting of the Johto region. It's smaller than Sinnoh, but I loved the traditional feeling of the Johto region...and I'm not that privy to snow considering I see it so much where I live. xD But that isn't to say I don't like Platinum! I love the fact that, at the time, it introduced a few new things and I loved the Poketech apps; some were fun and some were helpful. So all in all, both were good to me, but I had to go back to my roots with HGSS. :)

JohnMango95

Loyal magma grunt
by a long shot, platinum. i just love the atmosphere of sinnoh, it had a very calm feel to it. and the soundtrack was fantastic (canalave city music is particularly nostalgic to me). plus, the pokemon were great two. dusknoir and spiritomb are some of my favorite ghost types.
the only feature that HG/SS had over platnum was the ability to walk with your pokemon. i would have liked to be able to do that in sinnoh.

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
Definitely Platinum 100%! It is my favourite game in the series. I have three copies of it. I just love it to death. I love everything about the Sinnoh region. I love all the characters. I love the features like the Poketch. Team Galactic is my favourite evil team.
That sums it up, really. I fell in love with everything Sinnoh when I got DP in 2007 and never looked back.

That said, I do love HGSS too. After DP came out, I wanted Johto remakes soooo badly and was unbelievably happy when they were finally announced. Playing through it for the first time was amazing.
(Though, I have to agree with Kalosian about the lack of good training spots - training Pokemon is a bit of a chore for me on HGSS. Makes me miss the VS Seeker a lot).

Playing Platinum & HGSS when they were new was a very happy time in my life. :)

grey wing

Johto League Champ
HG/SS for sure. Gen II was my absolute favorite, and I especially like that all of Kanto opens up to make the greatest post-game. As for HG/SS having new features, I loved having the pokemon of your choice follow you around (I have no idea why they would get rid of such a cool feature), and I also enjoyed being able to rematch all 16 gym leaders. I only wish that there was a Crystal remake.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I only wish that there was a Crystal remake.

But HG/SS basically had all the major Crystal features already. That's why I like HG/SS so much; they were remakes done right and felt complete. Platinum felt lacking by comparison imo.

Psychic

Really and truly
Without a doubt, HG/SS. Of course I have a ton of nostalgia for gen 2, which is a huge contributor, whereas I've never really liked D/P/P or any of its Pokemon or characters. Now that I've played through the last 3/4 of Platinum, that sentiment remains.

There's a lot I love about HG/SS, from the added features to the entire esthetic and setting. I also feel that it improved a lot on Platinum, especially with the menus. The fact that D/P/P didn't take advantage of the touch screen for things like the PC is ridiculous, and I found the Poketch really clunky.

I didn't play D/P/P when they came out, and I almost lost interest in the fandom around gen 4, until HG/SS. Those games really resurrected my passion for the series, and they might be my favourite Pokemon games to date.

~Psychic

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Platinum. It had everything diamond and pearl lacked, and I loved it for that. I like HGSS, but I think the original GSC was better.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I preferred HGSS,
Pokethalon>Super Contests, (an over the top way to try and appeal to girly girls who already play pokemon).
Epic Mt Silver battles
Much better Safari Zone
Better male protagonist design
Mt Coronet was annoying as hell
Dat Lugia waterfall animation and Ho-Oh Bell Tower animation
Walking Pokemon! (aww scyther hugged me... can someone pass me my legs?)
Gameplay felt fluid

Still
Cyrus>Rocket sloppy seconds
Story was more engaging
Sinnoh starters> Hoenn Starters
Better female protagonist design

It would have to be SoulSilver for me. The original Silver version for the GBC is the first ever Pokémon game that I completely finished. You get to chase Suicune across Johto and Kanto but that's just one of the MANY legendaries of the game. It has awesome in game events with Celebi, Arceus, and ect. And you can get 3 different starters from 3 different regions without an AR. Plus you get a Dratini and red Gyarados pretty much handed to you.

cmats4020

Platinum for sure. Game Freak improved all of the horrible things that D/P had, while keeping all of the fun content as well as adding more in Platinum!

HG/SS were sad rehashes of Gold and Silver, with no improvements made whatsoever. In fact, the characters felt even duller than before.

Platinum is the clear winner in my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.