• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Platinum Team 2- Less Uber, more Foresight

ListlessHysteria

Hardly a Beginner
No, the word "foresight" wasn't used to reference the attack. I'm not creative enough to incorporate that one yet.

blastoise.png

Blastoise (Quiet) @ Life Orb
Torrent
"Special Ops"
EVs: Will focus on Special Attack and HP
Moves:
-Ice Beam
-Yawn
-Surf
-Focus Blast (I had "protect" so he could scout the opponent, but in-game doesn't usually provide many surprises)

So the idea here is that Blastoise is my lead. He's not going to be fast, first turn will be protect. I'm not sure that I like mirror coat with no moves to promote it personally, but I don't want Blastoise just to be a sweeper. Yawn is an improvement. PS- I am not changing specifically which Pokémon I have - generally if they aren't great, it's because I wanted a challenge so it may seem stubborn, but it's just because I've made a lot of teams and want a change. Thanks for the advice though!
>> Focus Blast makes me VERY happy with Blastoise's moveset. I'm unlikely to change him up anymore.

venomoth.png

Venomoth (Timid) @ Choice Specs
Tinted Lens
"Support"
EVs: Will focus on Special Attack and Speed
Moves:
-Psychic
-Sludge Bomb
-Energy Ball (I'm not sure about this one, since Cradily may have it)
-Bug Buzz

I know Venomoth is weak; I want a bit of a challenge. This moveset is improving.

girafarig-f.png

Girafarig (Timid) @ Choice Scarf
Inner Focus
"Passer"
EVs: Will focus on HP, Special Attack, and Speed
Moves:
-Baton Pass
-Charge Beam
-Calm Mind
-Trick

I'm pretty happy with this moveset. Charge Beam is here because it's likely to up special, and just because. There's not much more of a reason for it, it's filler. Also, cashed in on the classic Trickscarf tactic. Was toying with the idea of Guard Swap or Power Swap. I know HP is a viable alternative to Chargebeam but I don't know that it's necessary.

tauros.png

Tauros (Adamant) @ Muscle Band
Intimidate
"Physical Sweeper"
EVs: Will focus on Attack and Speed
Moves:
-Return
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Zen Headbutt (Since Blastoise has Ice Beam, a dragon killer is not necessary)

Eliminated Outrage and replaced it with Zen Headbutt. I have an adequate dragon killer in the lead.

cradily.png

Cradily (Relaxed) @ Leftovers
Suction Cups
"The Wall"
EVs: Will focus on Special Attack, Attack
Moves:
-Recover
-Toxic
-Stone Edge
-Stockpile (Energy Ball?)

I like Cradily. It isn't the best, but it's sturdy. I'd like to keep Cradily on my team, so please don't try to take her out. So now I face a crossroad, I think Venomoth may have Energy Ball already, so should I give Cradily energy ball too, or bulk up her defense? Venomoth has tinted lens to power up EB if necessary.

honchkrow.png

Honchcrow (Hasty) @ Life Orb
Insomnia
"Speed Attacker"
EVs: Focus on Attack and Speed
Moves:
-Drill Peck
-Super Power
-Roost
-Night Slash (Sucker Punch?)

I'm open to suggestions; I've never used Honchkrow before.
>> Okay, you've worn me down. Honchkrow is now a physical attacker, which makes sense. He's got superpower now, for quick OHKO capabilities. Thanks for the tips on him, I look forward to raising him!

I'd like to incorporate a fighting move for those normal types with endless HP. This is Team #2 to be rated for Platinum, an suggestions will be taken to heart.
>> I think we're pretty much there. Fighting moves have been incorporated and roles have been solidified. I just need a few more opinions on Cradily and Venomoth, then I'll be satisfied. Thanks for the advice everyone, it's been very helpful!

Last edited:

Didlysquat

The Reaper
Seems like a really good start! Especially the no ubers part ;]
makes the game more fun

Cradily is a cool choice but seeing as how its defences are higher than its attacks, it might work better as something to use to lay down some stealth rocks and do some poisoning but if you don't like that, its build could work already. I like the poisoning too, ive seen a lot of people disagree with toxic and poisonpowder in builds but I like it. So Recover, Toxic, Stealth Rocks, and Stone Edge seems like it might work

Venemoth is definitely a challenge and you already have a good speed pokemon and a passer. Maybe you could set it up with something like bug buzz, double team, sleep powder, solarbeam?

I'll try to think about this some more, I like this team so far [:

ListlessHysteria

Hardly a Beginner
Thanks for the compliment, you're the most positive person I've met so far!
A lot of people seem hung up on being the "best" rater.

I was thinking about toxic and stealth rock on Cradily, but I figured I already had toxic spikes on venomoth, though it's true that stealth rock would be more useful (especially if Cradily has toxic already, what's the point?)

I like Bug buzz on venomoth, and I think that change perfects Cradily. I'll edit accordingly. Thanks for the tips!

The one thing I'm not too keen on is Venomoth having solarbeam. With such low defenses, I'm not sure it'd come in handy too often...
Other than that, I like the moveset. :}

Shuckle of Cloudy Sky

Stall Fest FTW
No, the word "foresight" wasn't used to reference the attack. I'm not creative enough to incorporate that one yet.

blastoise.png

Blastoise (Quiet) @ Life Orb/ Splash Plate
Torrent
"Special Ops"
Moves:
-Ice Beam
-Yawn
-Surf
-Protect

Blastoise is good, but it won't make that great of a lead. The In Game lead should be a pure attacker, that way you can sweep most of the opponent before having to do anything else.

Gallade and Infernape work well for this.

venomoth.png

Tinted Lens
"Support"
EVs: Only focus on Sp. Attack and Speed
Moves:
-Substitute (Psychic?)
-Bug Buzz
-Silver Wind (Ominous Wind?)
-Sludge Bomb

Tinted Lens is Venomoth's saving grace, so a special attack set with Choice Specs works wonders.

girafarig-f.png

Inner Focus
"Passer"
Moves:
-Baton Pass
-Charge Beam
-Calm Mind
-Trick

Egh nasty.
I wouldn't want to battle this thing, it's pretty good for in game.

tauros.png

Tauros (Adamant) @ Lum Berry
Intimidate
"Physical Sweeper"
Moves:
-Zen Headbutt (Filler)
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Outrage

YES.

Hurray you know what you're doing.

cradily.png

Suction Cups
"The Wall"
EVs: Will focus on HP, Defense and Special Defense
Moves:
-Recover
-Toxic
-Rock Slide
-Protect

Cradily works better as a pure wall for the times when the rest of a team cannot do anything about the opponent.

Rock Slide is for the Flinch but you can use Stone Edge.

honchkrow.png

Honchcrow (Hasty) @ Life Orb/ Choice Band
Insomnia
"Speed Attacker"
EVs: Focus on Special Attack, Attack, and Speed
Moves:
-Drill Peck
-Heat Wave
-Roost
-Sucker Punch

Double Teaming doesn't matter when you have Sucker Punch, so use it instead of Faint Attack. Shadow Ball doesn't work well with that so Heat Wave will fill the slot. Honchkrow is also too frail to invest in defenses and HP, so use Speed EVs.

The Band is for if you just want to Sucker Punch everything. Other then that use the Life Orb.

I'd like to incorporate a fighting move for those normal types with endless HP. This is Team #2 to be rated for Platinum, an suggestions will be taken to heart.

Blah blah 10 character limit.

Good Team, Changes and suggestions in BOLD

Bossk

Like a champ.
Sorry to say, but Honchkrow has low Special Attack, having a base stat of 105 and having 125 for attack

He should have this set

Honchkrow
Hasty/Naive

Night Slash/Sucker Punch
Thunder Wave
Drill Peck
Steel Wing

Shuckle of Cloudy Sky

Stall Fest FTW
Thanks for the helpful advice too! I agree with a lot of changes, especially Blastoise with yawn. I'm so much more comfortable with that.

Your welcome.

Bossk said:
Sorry to say, but Honchkrow has low Special Attack, having a base stat of 105 and having 125 for attack

He should have this set

Honchkrow
Hasty/Naive

Night Slash/Sucker Punch
Thunder Wave
Drill Peck
Steel Wing

Yes, that is true, however if you were going for an all attack set, why not just go Jolly or Adamant? You don't have any special attacks...

That and Superpower would work instead of T-Wave, though it is a reasonable move.

Ampy

Light The Stars

He should have this set

Honchkrow
Hasty/Naive

Night Slash/Sucker Punch
Thunder Wave
Drill Peck
Steel Wing

Listless Hysteria said:
That's a good point. I'll contemplate replacing Heat Wave, since his Special Attack is low. The moveset provided is much appreciated, though I'm hesitant about replacing roost with thunder wave.

:/

Honchkrow's Special Attack is pretty decent actually.

I've always found this Honchkrow extremely effective:

Honchkrow@Choice Scarf
Naughty Nature
EVs: 252 Atk/48 SpA/212 Spe
Superpower
Heatwave
Drill Peck
Sucker Punch/Night Slash

This makes a great wall breaker. The speed EVs allow you outrun anything that would be a particular threat. Sucker Punch is nice, but since you have a Scarf I would go with Night Slash.

dpdude

teehee
shuckle of cloud sky: how is that tauros good with no stab? anyway, get rid of zen headbutt for return on tauros.

ListlessHysteria

Hardly a Beginner
Contemplated return on Tauros, and as for Honchkrow, designed the moveset while looking at base stats then forgot. His Special attack is good, while being weaker than his attack, hence why I kept overheat.

Night slash is useful, especially if he's already going to be fast.

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
I'm curious as to why your Tauros doesn't have Return. That's his most powerful attack.

ListlessHysteria

Hardly a Beginner
The reason Tauros did not have return is because I'm still not sure how that attack functions. My Slaking has it, I suppose it would be good to give it to Tauros. That's why, because I don't like giving my Pokémon moves I don't entirely understand the nature of unless someone educates me, or knows more about that specific Poké than I. No other reason than that.

[GS]

Staring at my phone

blastoise.png

Blastoise (Quiet) @ Life Orb
Torrent
"Special Ops"
Moves:
-Ice Beam
-Yawn
-Surf
-Focus Blast

Eh, Protect is ok if you were using Leftovers,
but since he's going to be an attacer, Focus
Blast can be an option for hitting Steel and
normal types for SE damage.

venomoth.png

Tinted Lens
"Support"
EVs: Will focus on Special Attack and Speed
Moves:
-Psychic
-Sludge Bomb
-Energy Ball
-Bug Buzz

Energy Ball>Ominous Wind just because it gets
better coverage and has more PP. Thanks to Tinted
Lens, it can still do respectable damage to those
that resist it.

girafarig-f.png

Inner Focus
"Passer"
Moves:
-Baton Pass
-Charge Beam
-Calm Mind
-Trick

I like this set TBH, very creative, just make sure
to Trick the scarf before trying to pass anything. ;)

tauros.png

Tauros (Adamant) @ Choice/Muscle Band
Intimidate
"Physical Sweeper"
Moves:
-Return
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Zen Headbutt

Personally, I like having Zen Headbutt on
Tauros. He greatly benefits from the flichhax.
Outrage is ok, but the confusion makes you
want to run Lum Berry(as you were). This
way you can use the Atk boosting item of
your choice.

cradily.png

Suction Cups
"The Wall"
EVs: Will focus on Special Attack, Attack
Moves:
-Recover
-Toxic
-Stone Edge
-Protect/Energy Ball/Stockpile

Protect is ok since you're using Lefties,
and IMO Stealth Rock is sort of useless
in-game, since the AI rarely switches.
Energy Ball can serve as another STAB
attack, or Stockpile can be used to bolster
your defenses even more.

honchkrow.png

Honchcrow (Hasty) @ Life Orb
Insomnia
"Speed Attacker"
EVs: Focus on Attack and Speed
Moves:
-Drill Peck
-Heat Wave/Superpower
-Roost
-Sucker Punch

Very nice. No problems here, but you could
run Superpower>Heat Wave and not have to
split your Ev's, and you'd have another fighting
attack besides Focus Blast on Blastoise.

Changes in bold and gave you those fighting
moves you wanted, hope this helps :3

Last edited:

ListlessHysteria

Hardly a Beginner
Oh focus blast! Good catch, I like that much better.
As for energy ball on Cradily, I had that there before. I was told protect would be better, but I like energy ball I think. Cradily is pretty "tank" as is.

As much as I'd like to switch it up, I'm not big on superpower. I don't like attacks that backfire and lower status, it'd be good to switch in, blast them, switch out. I guess since I already have special attackers, a balanced attacking honchkrow isn't a necessity, so I'll give it a shot. If I really don't like it, I have alternatives. Thanks.

I'll edit accordingly.

Final

I Submit to No One

He should have this set

Honchkrow
Hasty/Naive

Night Slash/Sucker Punch
Thunder Wave
Drill Peck
Steel Wing

Base 105 Special Attack is not low. It is above average if anything.

This set works best for Honchkrow:

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Hasty / Naive Nature
~ Sucker Punch
~ Drill Peck
~ Heat Wave
~ Superpower

There's better things to use Thunder Wave with. Honchkrow is quite frail and its HP does not compensate for it.

Alternatively you could attempt to sweep with this set:

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Hasty / Naive Nature
~ Nasty Plot
~ Dark Pulse
~ Heat Wave
~ Superpower

Nasty Plot to boost its Special Attack and then just attack away. Use Superpower against Special Walls like Blissey and Regice.

For EVs, focus on Attack and Speed on the first set with a bit of Special Attack for Heat Wave and on the second set, max Special Attack and Speed and put the remaining 4 EVs in Attack. Superpower still 2HKOs Blissey on the Nasty Plot set.

Last edited: