• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Platinum team help.

So here's the deal. about a week ago I caught my first ever shiny. It was a ponyta (now Rapidash) Hardy nature with all around mediocre IV's (mid teens to low twenties..but nothing lower than 12). It also has Flash Fire. It was a decent find considering he could wall the fire attacks launched towards my Scizor.

Now, today while training my Lucario I ran into a shiny gastly...timid nature.

The choice should seem obvious, but here's the problem - Gastly has 20-25 in Speed IV's which is fine enough for in game (and hopefully the battle frontier). However its special attack IV's are 0-7. Should I still use him over Rapidash?

I don't really expect to compete much over wifi, the farthest I plan to go after the elite four is the battle tower and maybe a few other frontier sites. I EV train, but dont have the patience to get perfect IV's...as long as they're good enough.

If this helps, here is my team so far:

Torterra - Relaxed
Stealth Rock
Leech Seed
Giga Drain
Earthquake

Staraptor - Jolly
Fly (because I need it)
U-turn
Close Combat
Quick attack

Scizor - Adamant
Swords Dance
Pursuit
Bullet Punch
U-turn/Brick Break (undecided)

Lucario - Modest
Vacuum Wave
Aura Sphere
Dragon Pulse
Sahow Ball

Tentecruel/Vaporeon/Kingdra/Starmie (Undecided)

Slot 6 is for either Rapidash or Gengar.

Obviously the biggest problem with this team is bulky waters...which Gengar can cover with Thunderbolt..would he be strong enough to succeed though with low Special Attack?

It's between these two..dont want to breed for better IV's or another shiny gastly.

Who should I choose?

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
What do you mean by "with low Special Attack"?

Gengar - Modest
Energy Ball
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Thunderbolt

Purple_Tangrowth

A DRUM, A DRUM!...
Ok...
gengar's base special attack is 130 and rapidash's is 80. Even if gengar had an absolute minimum special attack, it would be still greater than the maximum special attack stat of rapidash
Use gengar. And congrats on the shiny :D I've been playing for a while and I haven't encountered a single one in the wild :(

Stealth rock isn't as effective ingame because pokemon don't switch out unless they faint. So I think it's more beneficial to have something simple like rock slide. Rock type move on a grass type
pokemon is glorious as it hits most of the types it's weak to (bug, ice, fire) super effectively

I don't think staraptor needs quick attack. it's probably already past base 100 in speed which is fast enough ingame imo. Keep it IF YOU WANT but I would go with return

I would say you go with starmie for your water type pokemon
you need special attackers

good luck on the team

The shiny gengar is timid....his IV's in special attack are low..

Timid is the perfect nature for Gengar. Even if it's IV's in Sp. Attack are low it's still a damn good Pokémon.

Aura Sensei™

User Title
Indeed , Modest is meh.

Torterra can use Curse > Stealth Rock , Seed Bomb > Giga Drain and Rock Slide > Leech Seed.

EvilTyranitar

I would go with brick break > u-turn on scizor because it will allow it to hit steel types which would normally wall it. Although, really, either attack is good.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
In-game, not many Pokemon switch, so Brick Break is a better option IMO.