• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Platinum Team Rate

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
I'm planning on training the team below for use in this game. This will be my main team for battling the Elite Four, but I want it to be versatile enough to do well in the Battle Frontier as well. Rating and suggestions are much appreciated.

Infernape (Rash) @ Shell Bell
Ability: Blaze
EV's: Distributed evenly between Attack, Special Attack, and Speed
Flamethrower
Close Combat
Grass Knot
Protect/Torment
*I'm obviously unsure about the fourth move... maybe it could be another physical attack...

Garchomp (Jolly) @ Persim/Salac Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EV's: About 200 each in Attack/Speed, rest go into Defense/Special Defense
Outrage
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Swords Dance
*I picked Jolly over Adamant because Garchomp has very high base Attack already, and knows Swords Dance.

Bronzong (Calm) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EV's: Maxed in Defense and Special Defense
Psychic
Confuse Ray
Calm Mind
Iron Defense
*Too bad Bronzong can't learn Cosmic Power...

Cherrim (Bashful) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Flower Gift
EV's: Balanced
Sunny Day
Solarbeam
Synthesis
Seed Bomb/Safeguard
*I'm mainly using Cherrim because I'm sick and tired of having a Roserade on my team...

Gyarados (Careful) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EV's: Balanced (except no Special Attack)
Dive
Ice Fang
Dragon Dance
Toxic
*I decided to turn away from the physical-sweeper stereotype here, since I find it's a pretty sturdy Pokemon provided it's not hit by electricity.

Rotom (Modest) @ Petaya Berry
EV's: About 200 in Special Attack; rest in Defense, Special Defense, and Speed
Discharge
Shadow Ball
(Form-exclusive attack)
Charge/Charge Beam
*It's a good thing I have a Secret Key... Speaking of which, which form do you recommend for the E4?

For this team, I'll also take suggestions for Pokemon replacements. I'm still unsure about whether I should take my Cherrim off the team... and I do have a Staraptor, Gallade, Blissey, and Giratina waiting for the chance to be added...

kingdra008

hmmm seems good to me but i think either rotom or cherrim would be your downfall they might need more work

Dragard

I wasn't even there.
I'm planning on training the team below for use in this game. This will be my main team for battling the Elite Four, but I want it to be versatile enough to do well in the Battle Frontier as well. Rating and suggestions are much appreciated.

Infernape (Naive) @ Life Orb / Muscle Band / Wise Glasses / Expert Belt
Ability: Blaze
EV's: 64 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 192 Spe
Flamethrower
Close Combat
Grass Knot
ThunderPunch / Nast Plot / Earthquake
*I'm obviously unsure about the fourth move... maybe it could be another physical attack...

Garchomp (Jolly) @ Leftovers / Life Orb / Yache Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EV's: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Fire Fang
Swords Dance
*I picked Jolly over Adamant because Garchomp has very high base Attack already, and knows Swords Dance.

I wouldn't recommend Outrage for In-Game purposes, it's just not worth it and Dragon Claw can do loads of damage anyways. Fire Fang over Stone Edge for more coverage (I think =p)

Bronzong (Modest) @ Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 6 SpDef
Psychic
Grass Knot
Calm Mind
Flash Cannon
*Too bad Bronzong can't learn Cosmic Power...

This one is weird O_O

Cherrim (Bashful) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Flower Gift
EV's: Balanced
Sunny Day
Solarbeam
Synthesis
Seed Bomb/Safeguard
*I'm mainly using Cherrim because I'm sick and tired of having a Roserade on my team...

Oh no, I'm not good with her :( but I can tell you that "sunnybeamers" are useless most of the time. If you want to use Sunny Day, get rid of Gyarados as it's the only pokemon it hinders (I think O_O).

Gyarados (Adamant) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EV's: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Waterfall
Ice Fang
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
*I decided to turn away from the physical-sweeper stereotype here, since I find it's a pretty sturdy Pokemon provided it's not hit by electricity.

That wont work =/ Waterfall completely outclasses Dive. Toxic wont work very well on him.

Rotom (Modest) @ Petaya Berry / Leftovers / Wise Glasses
EV's: 6 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Discharge / Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
(Form-exclusive attack) I recommend Hydro Pump, so Wash form
Signal Beam
*It's a good thing I have a Secret Key... Speaking of which, which form do you recommend for the E4?

Um, your using really weird EV spreads... Anyways, I recommend Wash form for Hydro Pump, it can take out Bertha's ground types pretty well thanks to levitate.

For this team, I'll also take suggestions for Pokemon replacements. I'm still unsure about whether I should take my Cherrim off the team... and I do have a Staraptor, Gallade, Blissey, and Giratina waiting for the chance to be added...

I really don't think Cherrim goes there to well =/ Especially with Sunny day.

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Jolly
Intimidate
~ Brave Bird
~ Return
~ Close Combat
~ U-Turn

or

Gallade @ Muscle Band
Adamant
Steadfast
~ Psycho Cut
~ Night Slash / Ice Punch
~ Close Combat / Brick Break
~ Swords Dance

They can work.

Suggestion and Changes in BOLD. Ignore what you don't like =/

^ A little correction, no, Sunny Day also hinders Bronzong, and makes it horribly Fire weak. You're going to have to ditch Cherrim, because she can only work under sun. Don't know why Dragard didn't change her Nature; make it Timid.

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
Well, some Sunnybeamers can work, depending on the team... For example, in Diamond one member of my Pokemon team was a Roserade with Sunny Day, Solarbeam, Synthesis, and Weather Ball, which in my opinion is the best "Sunnybeam" moveset possible. And the Ninetales I also had on the team benefited from the Sunny Day when Roserade fainted or switched out.

I might replace the Cherrim with Gallade, simply because the team can do with another Psychic-type. I'll have his moveset be Psycho Cut, Swords Dance, Close Combat, and Leaf Blade. Leaf Blade does more damage than Ice Punch and can probably devastate Bertha.

...Bronzong as a special sweeper?? Its offenses really aren't all that great, so I don't know about that... My original strategy with this Bronzong was going to be to first use Confuse Ray, then use Calm Mind/Iron Defense. This way, Bronzong would be boosting its defenses and Special Attack, powering up Psychic in the process, while the foe would likely hurt itself. I figured this would annoy the heck out of most of Cynthia's Pokemon, especially, since they mostly know attacking moves, none of which are Fire-type I think.

Another thing, how in the world am I supposed to get Earthquake on Infernape, Gyarados, and Garchomp, when there's only one TM26 in the game? Same thing goes with Grass Knot.

Hmm... with Garchomp and Gallade on the team, keeping the suggested Gyarados means having too many physical sweepers... What if I swap out the Gyarados for another water Pokemon... like Tentacruel? Maybe something like...

Tentacruel (Modest) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EV's: 250 Special Attack, 100 Defense, 100 Speed, 70 Special Defense
Surf
Ice Beam
Sludge Bomb
Toxic Spikes

I like the idea of Thunderpunch on Infernape, especially for surprising water Pokemon.

Well, some Sunnybeamers can work, depending on the team... For example, in Diamond one member of my Pokemon team was a Roserade with Sunny Day, Solarbeam, Synthesis, and Weather Ball, which in my opinion is the best "Sunnybeam" moveset possible. And the Ninetales I also had on the team benefited from the Sunny Day when Roserade fainted or switched out.

SunnyBeamers honestly only work that well on dedicated Sunny Day Teams.

I might replace the Cherrim with Gallade, simply because the team can do with another Psychic-type. I'll have his moveset be Psycho Cut, Swords Dance, Close Combat, and Leaf Blade. Leaf Blade does more damage than Ice Punch and can probably devastate Bertha.

Ice Punch is the better choice because it gets better overall coverage, but if you really want to use Leaf Blade, whatever.

...Bronzong as a special sweeper?? Its offenses really aren't all that great, so I don't know about that... My original strategy with this Bronzong was going to be to first use Confuse Ray, then use Calm Mind/Iron Defense. This way, Bronzong would be boosting its defenses and Special Attack, powering up Psychic in the process, while the foe would likely hurt itself. I figured this would annoy the heck out of most of Cynthia's Pokemon, especially, since they mostly know attacking moves, none of which are Fire-type I think.

Generally strategies like that are too gimmicky. Calm Mind Bronzong may seem odd, but it works very well.

Another thing, how in the world am I supposed to get Earthquake on Infernape, Gyarados, and Garchomp, when there's only one TM26 in the game? Same thing goes with Grass Knot.

Trade, Game Corner, etc... If you can't get multiple TMs, then you need to decide which one goes to which Pokemon. We do our part, you do your part, you know?

Hmm... with Garchomp and Gallade on the team, keeping the suggested Gyarados means having too many physical sweepers... What if I swap out the Gyarados for another water Pokemon... like Tentacruel? Maybe something like...

Tentacruel (Modest) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EV's: 250 Special Attack, 100 Defense, 100 Speed, 70 Special Defense
Surf
Ice Beam
Sludge Bomb
Toxic Spikes

Very odd EVs, and Toxic Spikes doesn't do much In-Game. You could give it Wring Out in that slot, even if it isn't that great. Tentacruel is more of a Defensive than Offensive Poke anyway.

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
How is Tentacruel defensive? What kind of a moveset would a defensive Tentacruel have?

Another thing, how are the EV spreads I came up with "odd"? What's wrong with distributing EV's evenly among three or more stats?

Last edited: