• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Platonic: A Family and Friendship One-Shot Contest

AmericanPi

Write on
Platonic: A Family and Friendship One-Shot Contest​

Hosted by AmericanPi

Results are now posted!

Relationships have always been a huge part of Pokemon fanfiction. Shipping fics about romantic relationships between canon characters have always been popular, but equally important to the spirit of Pokemon is other, non-romantic relationships. These platonic relationships, such as the bonds between trainers and Pokemon, have been explored by fanfiction writers since the dawn of the fandom.

This contest's theme is friendships and familial relationships - basically what are known as platonic relationships. For this contest, your goal is to write about and explore platonic relationships in Pokemon. Whether you're writing a slice-of-life story about a gym leader's family or an epic adventure that tests the bond between a trainer and her Pokemon or a hurt/comfort fic about two trainers who are best friends, the possibilities for this contest are endless.

The Rules

- As always, all General SPPf rules and Fan Fiction forum rules apply.

- All entries must be one-shots written specifically for the contest. Please do not submit material you’ve written previously that happens to coincide with the theme.

- While it’s okay (and encouraged!) to find yourself a beta reader and share your story privately with them, please do not post your story publicly before the results are up. Yes, this includes posting your fic elsewhere.

- Entries should not exceed 10,000 words. As always, we realize that different word counters will produce different results, so if you’re over by a little, we won’t mind. However, if it’s very obvious and clear that you’ve exceeded the limit by quite a lot, we’ll contact you and ask you to trim it down.

- If, at any time, you have questions about what is and isn’t kosher or if you have any concerns whatsoever, please don’t hesitate to post in this thread or shoot the judges a PM!

When your entry is ready for submission, either PM it to AmericanPi or email it to american.pi.3.14159@gmail.com before 23:59 UTC on September 30th, 2017. (Click the link to find a timezone converter.) If you make edits to your entry before the deadline passes, you may resubmit it by email or PM.

The Judging

The judges for this contest are AmericanPi, Bay, Chibi Pika, and Dragonfree. Once the deadline passes, we will each read all the entries, write reviews for them, and rank them according to our individual opinions. When everyone is done, the reviews will be compiled, the entries will be given points according to their placing with each judge, and their final ranking will go by this combined score. Note that none of us will be privy to anyone else’s reviews or rankings before the final reveal, so none of us will be influenced by each other’s opinions.

Also note that there is always a possibility that the deadline mentioned above will be extended, and judges may ask for extensions on their reviews if need be. However, the judging team will do its best to get the results up within two months. Once the results are ready, every story (or an excerpt thereof) will be posted here, from lowest- to highest-scoring, along with their rankings and reviews from each of the judges. If you would like us not to post your entry with the results, please contact us and let us know before the results are posted.

Tips

- Grammar, spelling, and other basic mechanics will most definitely be considered by each judge. Do your best to proofread before submitting, but if you have a friend who’s willing to beta for you, even better! Don’t hesitate to send your work off to your friend for a second opinion.

- As tempting as it may be with this theme to write an epic, remember that you have only so many words to do it—and that plot and execution will also be things your judges will consider. Make sure your entry is self-contained and can stand on its own as an enjoyable story.

- Even though we’ve only mentioned a handful of plot ideas in the contest description, don’t feel that you need to limit yourself to just those! Creativity in applying the theme is also something we’re looking for, so if you feel like you’ve got a great way to address the theme of platonic relationships, go for it!

- Most importantly, have fun!

Good luck, writers!

Last edited:

Psychic

Really and truly
YES! I am all about those platonic relationships! They're especially pertinent in a series like Pokemon that focuses so much on friendships and bonds between teammates. So much potential! There's definitely also cool potential for fics about Pokemon teammates!

Maybe this contest will motivate me to finally write a fic about some of my headcanon, haha. I shall try! Either way, I look forward to reading people's entries!

~Psychic

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Aaaaaaaaaaa I am all over this theme and I have so many ideas stewing around in my head that could potentially fit! The tough part will be choosing which is best, haha.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
... OH MY GOSH YES. THE CONTEST IS HERE. Now I just have to decide whether I want to join or not and if I do what to write (I feel tempted to write about a certain girl who's world was lost)...

Either way, good luck to everyone who's gonna participate!

Venia Silente

[](int x){return x;}
Tempted to participate but having trouble deciding which of the ideas I could potentially have would be good enough to make in.

...Like everyone else, apparently :p

It is good to hear of a new Serebii contest, considering I had to skip on the last one. Will definitively see what can I do regarding joining this one, though I foresee I'll have to fight wirh myself over ideas and writing mood.

...But yeah, in the meantime totally paying attention to this, and to the people who want in.

Tuxlash

Ba-doom-tish.
LAUNCH THE IDEA MACHINE! *rushes off with screwdriver in hand*
In.

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
Hmm... now this is an interesting idea. I'm actually considering entering this One Shot Contest - and like others said their is HUGE potential for what kinds of relationships could be used in fanfics like this. I'll mull over some stuff and see if I can come up with anything that'll work for this challenge.

Good luck to everyone who want to enter as well - may the best writer win!

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
I definitely want to enter this contest because HECK YEAH PLATONIC RELATIONSHIPS. The only problem is that I enjoy platonic love so much that pretty much everything I write kind of ends up featuring friendship as a fairly major theme even when I'm not really trying, so the contest's prompt essentially reads to me as "Write a Pokémon one-shot". Therefore it might be tricky for me to nail down a specific something to write about. But I will try, dammit!

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
I am half-tempted to just rewrite The Fox and the Hound, but just with a Zangoose and a Seviper instead.

"We'll always be friends, won't we?"

Boom! Instant win.

But yeah, I'll throw my hat into the ring as well and enter. Don't know what I'll do yet, but considering we now have 5 MONTHS to do it, I think I'll manage.

A little late in the game, but this is a fantastic prompt. Got a couple of ideas whirring around in my head, so I'll be writing this one more than likely. Let's have some fun with this, Serebii!

Got till September. That's more than enough time. It'll be fun, give it a shot.

Dragonfree

Just me
Just a little reminder to everyone that the contest is still going and we're looking forward to seeing what you all come up with!

How are everyone's entries coming along? Remember, you have until September to submit, so even if you haven't started yet, there's still time!

Venia Silente

[](int x){return x;}
Alas, it is time for me to retire from this contest. Worldbuilding June took (and still takes) much of my creative energy, which has resulted in my attempts to plan and write since then being far less than spectacular. Adding to that that I had to take extra workload at work so that I was allowed to take a vacation now to the other side of the world, and that will extend past the deadline, just so that I could have some time free from winter, well... when I haven't gotten past the thousand words, I simply should not commit any further to the contest as planned.

Maybe for the next time if it doesn't conflict with other endeavours and meatspace stuff. In the meantime, good wishes to the other participants. Luck and fun with the good friendship stuff.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Ahh, that's a shame, but it's understandable.

What about everyone else? How are the entries coming? The thread is a little quiet, we could totally use some progress updates from everyone! (Just no spoilers)