• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Player’s mom

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Lets talk anout it - Why do the main Pokemon players only have a mother and not a dad? (Except gen3).
I never really knew the reason for that lol

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Don't know what the reason for it might be, other than to make things simpler. Your mom's main role in the games is to see you off on your journey and heal your team before you get access to Pokemon Centers (though she may also have some backstory herself), and it really only takes one person to do that.

On the other hand, I don't think the player characters are ever stated to NOT have a dad, we just don't see him or hear much about him. In gen 7 for instance the player character's father is referred to a few times (if I recall right he is the source of the "adventure rules" at the start of the game). His absence in Alola isn't explained, though Rotom referring to player character's mom being really happy about a letter she just got from him would indicate they are not separated or divorced, but perhaps he is merely working abroad for over the course of the game.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Chances are it's just a reflection of Japanese society where the husband works long hours away from home, business trips notwithstanding, and the mother is your typical housewife. Trains run on strict schedules, and if your average salaryman works overtime (which happens a lot, and they don't get paid overtime) and misses the last train, they sleep in the office or rent a nearby hotel room.

It was an interesting change in status quo to show both parents in Gen III, especially by making the father a gym leader you will have to challenge, but Norman still was away from home as a result despite being only two towns over. Though it's possible he returns home to Littleroot for the night, don't know if it was ever stated.

Orphalesion

Chances are it's just a reflection of Japanese society where the husband works long hours away from home, business trips notwithstanding, and the mother is your typical housewife. Trains run on strict schedules, and if your average salaryman works overtime (which happens a lot, and they don't get paid overtime) and misses the last train, they sleep in the office or rent a nearby hotel room.

^This.

Once you really look at Gen 1 especially and realize how much of it is inspired by the Japanese culture of the developers' childhoods (Team Rocket, Lt. Surge, etc.) this solution becomes the most likely.

janejane6178

^This.

Once you really look at Gen 1 especially and realize how much of it is inspired by the Japanese culture of the developers' childhoods (Team Rocket, Lt. Surge, etc.) this solution becomes the most likely.
What do Team rocket and lt surge have to do with rheir childhoods?

Orphalesion

What do Team rocket and lt surge have to do with rheir childhoods?

Team Rocket, particularly Giovanni, are based on the Yakuza (the Japanese Mafia) and from what a family friend has told me the Yakuza used to be considered "cool" among Japanese children in like the 70s (maybe later and today as well, he was a kid in the 70s so that's what he knew about) the same way some people in the west like to watch movies about mobsters. And Lt. Surge (the Lightning American) is likely based on the American soldiers and American army bases in Japan after World War II.

janejane6178

Team Rocket, particularly Giovanni, are based on the Yakuza (the Japanese Mafia) and from what a family friend has told me the Yakuza used to be considered "cool" among Japanese children in like the 70s (maybe later and today as well, he was a kid in the 70s so that's what he knew about) the same way some people in the west like to watch movies about mobsters. And Lt. Surge (the Lightning American) is likely based on the American soldiers and American army bases in Japan after World War II.
Thanks❤️

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I thought Lt Surge was based of Vietnam veterans, given his apparent age and clothes