• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Player Search System (PSS) & Pokémon Global Link (PGL) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuzamaki90

I don't know if anyone brought this up, but I hate how in wifi ranked battles in BW/BW2 if either player just shuts off the ds in the middle of the battle neither ranking goes down. I can't tell you how many times I see communication error, right when I'm about to KO their last pokemon. Gamefreak needs to fix this and the hacking issue. I actually don't want compatibility, because of the hacking issue.

I guess you didn't check the updated GL rulings on the official site lol. If you're in a wi-fi battle and you lose connection or the game is shut off, the person who did so gets a decrease on their ranking and rating.

And hacking on a 3DS is near impossible, there aren't even working emulators for the 3DS yet.

regidude

Frontier Conqueror
I guess you didn't check the updated GL rulings on the official site lol. If you're in a wi-fi battle and you lose connection or the game is shut off, the person who did so gets a decrease on their ranking and rating.

And hacking on a 3DS is near impossible, there aren't even working emulators for the 3DS yet.

I tested this in BW quite recently and my ranking didn't drop, it stayed the same. Or are you talking about global link in X and Y?

C.y.a.n

Ace Trainer
Maybe if the poke transfer was an Internet thing now where putting pokemon asleep sent them onto our GL account and then could be sent to X/Y. Then it is scanned for hack indications and if not a copy can be sent to X/Y. I don't know if its possible but I would prefer to let hacks get through to the next gen then lose my precious pokemon from 3rd, 4th and 5th gen. I still have my first ever starter from emerald and I'm not leaving it behind^^

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Hopefully they put a stop to this ridiculous level 9 or under legendaries. I'd like to be able to get the Pokemon I need instead of searching for hours.

absolfusion

Soon.......
No it isn't, there's still people who'd take advantage of this, people will get sick of it, and either a), leave forever, or b), start it themselves.

You have an pessimistic view of the wonder trade. I have an optimistic view. We can argue round and round, but we'll never get anywhere. So let me apply some logic to help you understand why this is a good thing. When a person offers up a mon for trade, he/she expects to get something equally as valuable right? Say this person is a complete *******, who decides to offer up a subpar pokemon in hopes of getting a good one. A few seconds later a pokemon is sent to him. It's a bidoof. Frustrated, he tries to trade again and again, recieving bidoofs and patrats. Now one of two things will probably happen. Either this person will realize that karma is finally kicking in and start trying to send better pokemon, or quit the system altogether, freeing up space for the people who the people who are actually sending in quality mons. Now imagine this on a greater scale, like in the millions.

regidude

Frontier Conqueror
You have an pessimistic view of the wonder trade. I have an optimistic view. We can argue round and round, but we'll never get anywhere. So let me apply some logic to help you understand why this is a good thing. When a person offers up a mon for trade, he/she expects to get something equally as valuable right? Say this person is a complete *******, who decides to offer up a subpar pokemon in hopes of getting a good one. A few seconds later a pokemon is sent to him. It's a bidoof. Frustrated, he tries to trade again and again, recieving bidoofs and patrats. Now one of two things will probably happen. Either this person will realize that karma is finally kicking in and start trying to send better pokemon, or quit the system altogether, freeing up space for the people who the people who are actually sending in quality mons. Now imagine this on a greater scale, like in the millions.

I also have the same thought. I just really hope that the person who offers a bidoof has a 0% chance of receiving a legendary/something rare and not 0.5%. That would make wonder trade that much better. But then wouldn't we have to have another classification system for rarity of pokemon for that to work. I mean the game needs to make sure that trading a bidoof can give only route 1 rodents/caterpillers/magikarps etc. And trading legendaries give only legendaries. But what about in between, neither legendary nor too common?

Lord Zoroark

Master Tactician
The hack issue almost makes me want for XY to not have any backwards compatibility. I hear the 3DS is practically hack-proof, and it'd be nice to be rid of hacks once and for all.

I definitely wouldn't like that, and I doubt that many other people would. For starters, people like myself have spent MASSIVE amounts of time gathering and training Pokémon with special events moves and desirable IV spreads, and since RNG on the 3DS will be practically impossible, people would be lose those Pokémon and be stuck with SOFT RESETTING as their only way of getting even semi-desirable IVs - and the special event moves would be lost forever. The only way I'd be willing to let cross-compatibility cease to exist would be for GameFreak to destroy the IV system altogether and to have all Pokémon of the same species be equal (with the exception of their Natures and how they're IV trained).

(And that's just what I think. I doubt that many other people would even accept a compromise such as that - or ANY compromise, period.)

Im only gonna trade magikarps and other useless pokemon in wonder trade.

What a generous soul. At least you're honest.

Last edited:

regidude

Frontier Conqueror
I definitely wouldn't like that, and I doubt that many other people would. For starters, people like myself have spent MASSIVE amounts of time gathering and training Pokémon with special events moves and desirable IV spreads, and since RNG on the 3DS will be practically impossible, people would be lose those Pokémon and be stuck with SOFT RESETTING as their only way of getting even semi-desirable IVs - and the special event moves would be lost forever. The only way I'd be willing to let cross-compatibility cease to exist would be for GameFreak to destroy the IV system altogether and to have all Pokémon of the same species be equal (with the exception of their Natures and how they're IV trained).

I'm a dedicated RNGer. I've RNGed in every generation since Emerald version to BW2. I have boxes full of RNGed legendaries, shinies, and competitively ready pokemon. I have spend countless hours learning RNG and grinding for them so I know your pain.

But if I were to pose a question to Masuda, I would ask, do you seriously want us to go this far just to be on par with other players? How long will it take for the pokemon company to realize that almost everyone knows the inner mechanics of IVs and EVs. I want him to actually realize that the entire pokemon community is aware of these details. So rather than make EVs/IVs these hidden details not referenced in-game, just reveal them in-game already, give them a pokemon terminology. Let everyone be on the same page, rather than only veterans know about IVs/EVs. That being said, there would be no need for RNG, if they made items that allow us to modify IVs. Make these items purchasable. So people like me or you don't have to go to such extremes just to be on par with other players competitively. And those that feel that IVs give pokemon personality, to them I say that's what descriptions like "Alert to sounds" are for, but why do they have to affect IVs? Can't we just have unique descriptions without affecting IVs, I mean there's natures already.

To get to the point, add customizable IVs using easily available items that don't affect personality. Change the IV system, don't change personalities and people would be happy. Allow cross-compatibility for all those people that want to keep their first starter in RSE or DPPt, but could you please allow us to change IVs with items so if our Fennekin has terrible IVs, we don't have to breed it with a ditto to get one with better IVs and lose it's sentimental value as our first pokemon. Even if cross-compatibility is not there, at least we are not bound to bad IVs and can change them at will without affecting personality.

Last edited:

Bundalings

Sassy Breeder
Hey, I've trained dozens of Pokemon, too. But I use soft resetting and mass breeding because the other way feels cheap to me. Point being, I've invested a lot of time into my games, but I'm getting sick of having worse Pokemon just because I'm not willing to hack.

Regidude's solution would be the ideal, really. Allowing people to alter IVs with a game mechanic. Though I see that as less likely than removing backwards compatibility. Fingers crossed IV manipulation is what that rumored Super Training feature is.

regidude

Frontier Conqueror
Hey, I've trained dozens of Pokemon, too. But I use soft resetting and mass breeding because the other way feels cheap to me. Point being, I've invested a lot of time into my games, but I'm getting sick of having worse Pokemon just because I'm not willing to hack.

Regidude's solution would be the ideal, really. Allowing people to alter IVs with a game mechanic. Though I see that as less likely than removing backwards compatibility. Fingers crossed IV manipulation is what that rumored Super Training feature is.

I don't know if you have played fire emblem awakening before, but they have items that boost specific stats. So even if your level ups are really bad, you don't have to worry because late-game you can purchase these items to maximize your stats, without having to feel that the final stats are permanent. This made me not even care about bad RNG and bad luck with level ups or stats because I knew I had the ability to change it later. This made me enjoy the story, without worrying about all of these details. They need to do this sort of thing in pokemon X and Y.

AceTrainer8

Wonder Run
A new challenge in which you must use the Wonder Trade to receive your team for the play-through.(I'm not gonna tell you what Pokemon you must trade away originally though)
Optional: Fainting of a Pokemon means you must trade it in the Wonder Trade again.
Or
Just do the latter and go through the game with a team from your game, but be forced to trade them away when they faint.

It would be a tough challenge with what we expect people to put in the wonder trade, but I'm just trying to figure out a way to use it for a challenge.

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
Wonder Run
A new challenge in which you must use the Wonder Trade to receive your team for the play-through.(I'm not gonna tell you what Pokemon you must trade away originally though)
Optional: Fainting of a Pokemon means you must trade it in the Wonder Trade again.
Or
Just do the latter and go through the game with a team from your game, but be forced to trade them away when they faint.

I like how it sounds. I've never though about that and I think I wouldn't mind trying it after reseting Y (in 3 years or so) and I would be helping people getting some Pokémon too which is nice.

PMG

Pokemon Master Gaz
Wonder Run
Or

It would be a tough challenge with what we expect people to put in the wonder trade, but I'm just trying to figure out a way to use it for a challenge.

love this lol this is gunna kick nuzlocks out and be the new thing I can see it now!

regidude

Frontier Conqueror
Wonder Run
Or

What if you get a level 100 or over leveled pokemon? Unless there are level restrictions, I don't know how this will work. But then what's considered an ideal level. I'm sure a level 2 pidgey is a lot different from a level 2 Togekiss.

PMG

Pokemon Master Gaz
What if you get a level 100 or over leveled pokemon? Unless there are level restrictions, I don't know how this will work. But then what's considered an ideal level. I'm sure a level 2 pidgey is a lot different from a level 2 Togekiss.

wonder trade will most likely be badge locked only allowing certain levels until you get certain badges (like the dreamworld)

regidude

Frontier Conqueror
wonder trade will most likely be badge locked only allowing certain levels until you get certain badges (like the dreamworld)

Ahh that's a very good point. I forgot about badge restrictions. That is very likely the case, and I can see gamefreak implementing that.

AceTrainer8

I do suppose this would be an issue, but just like Nuzlockes (sp?) there can be clauses like: "If a received Pokemon's level exceeds fifteen (ten maybe) levels higher than the last wild pokemon you encountered's level rounded to the nearest 5, it must be a) Bred b) traded again c) Stored until it can follow this rule (If applicable).

And of course this rule would be adjusted, as we don't know levels of wilds yet or where the Day-Care is located. Or it could be based on gyms I suppose. Like if you are between the first and second gym, the received pokemon cannot exceed a set number based on the next gym. (That would have to be posted because the player wouldn't necessarily know the level of the Pokemon of the next gym.)

EDIT: Or Wonder Trade will be locked by gym anyway.

Last edited:

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
I really am looking foward to wonder trade. I might wind up constantly catching the version exclusives and trade them in wonder trade.

And if we have backwards compatibitly which I hope we do I hope to trade all the pokemon I've been hatching over as well.

I wonder how we wait for the random pokemon. Perhaps we have to wait a while. I keep thinking when we put the Pokemon up it goes into a system with a whole bunch of other Pokemon and for a while it goes into a random mix then a while later we can keep checking back until we get the Pokemon that was traded for our own.

PMG

Pokemon Master Gaz
I really am looking foward to wonder trade. I might wind up constantly catching the version exclusives and trade them in wonder trade.

And if we have backwards compatibitly which I hope we do I hope to trade all the pokemon I've been hatching over as well.

I wonder how we wait for the random pokemon. Perhaps we have to wait a while. I keep thinking when we put the Pokemon up it goes into a system with a whole bunch of other Pokemon and for a while it goes into a random mix then a while later we can keep checking back until we get the Pokemon that was traded for our own.

I would assume it would be quite quick as you can get anything from anybody (in theory)

only other way is if midgame you get a cut screen for the trade randomly as you are walking after putting in a pokemon an hour ago lol

Status
Not open for further replies.