• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Playing as the opposite gender?

Mug

Sgt. Sunshine
I generally choose the female (because I am one) but in Blue I'm forced to be a guy anyway. I have a friend's Pearl and he chose male so I'm a guy in that, too. Maybe in my Emerald replay I'll choose male... no, no, I prefer the female. I just like the girls more, partially because I am one and partially because their outfits/hair are usually more fun.

Kalosian

So long
I play as both genders, which of them I choose depends a bit on which game it is and how the player characters are designed. Although I choose my own gender more often than the opposite.

DragonKingUS

DragonKingUS
i play bot genders female if evil male if good

on things like fable

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
I always play a male, no matter what role playing (key words here) games I play. I don't think it is wrong the play as the opposite gender, but I never had the will to do so. It is important that we have the option, though.

Hilijix

Back in Blue
I play as both, but I usually always pick the boy first. There's nothing really wrong with playing as the opposite gender, except for slight dialogue changes and more funny situations, and that's usually what I look for.

I give them all different names to fit the teams more in the end.

Meowth City

Staff member
I don't think it makes any difference really. After all, I was forced to play as a male in the first generation. I don't really relate to the character in Pokémon games though, so that's probably why it makes no difference to me. And then there's generation V where you want to pick the male character more because the female looks like a skank.
OH, LOL xD

Yeah, my points exactly. I don't really care about the gender of my characters. I tend to pick the character that I think has the best design. For Diamond and SoulSilver, I was the girl, and for Black, I was the boy. Nothing else to it.

DragonKingUS

DragonKingUS
yh well if its a game where you can be good or evil i like being a girl because girls look a lot better when there evil lol

DragonKingUS

DragonKingUS
lol true but they look a lot better when evil

Invisiblade97

On my main playthrough, I play as the guy, since I happen to be one, and if I decide to do a second playthrough, I play as the girl for teh lulz.

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
I usually play as the male character, being one, but I see nothing wrong with playing as the opposite gender. But I feel the need to link this comic.

Avizion

Aiming For The Top
I don't know why but I only catch male pokemon and play as a boy all the time but one day my friend told me that if you play as a girl more male pokemon will show up. I have never tried this because it feels odd to play as a girl for me for no particular reason at all

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
I play as either. It's a game. Why would it matter if you were playing as the male character or the female character?

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
I'd say I'm biased about 60/40 to male in picking my gender. Don't wanna have to view the same sprite again and again. (Not that having two is much better).