• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Playing Past Gen 4 for the First Time and Journaling Each Game - Black Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanDude

Reviewer
So I've never beaten a Pokemon game past Gen 4. I've been content to replay Gens 1-4 throughout the years because they're what I grew up with and I always felt the classic Pokemon formula hit a peak with Platinum and Heartgold/Soulsilver. With the exception of Let's Go Eevee, I've never reached the end credits of any game past that point. Well, considering there's a lot of ground to cover, and I've just resumed watching the anime at Gen 5, this would be a perfect opportunity to catch up on the games, since a large part of my enjoyment of the anime came down to seeing stuff from the games show up in it, and I'm bound to enjoy watching the later seasons if I become familiar with the games they're based on.

Anyways, before I start playing the most interesting thing about my history with Gen 5 is that I actually got a copy of Black version back in 2011 when Black and White were still the newest mainline games. I actually did play it a bit, so it's funny that I get nostalgic over some things from this game when I am mostly unfamiliar with it. The Nacrene city theme with the accordion part that fades in and out left an impression on me as I could never get enough of Diamond and Pearl's jazz influence. Also the promotional material with shots of the player character running across a big bridge is something that stuck with me. Also all the fans being upset over the new Pokemon designs, specific Pokemon always being used as the examples which I will get to when I play through the game.

So yeah, I do have a lot of nostalgia for Gen 5 even though I never ended up playing much. I was very busy at that point in my life so I don't blame myself, but now I have a lot more patience for diving into RPG's than I did back then, so it should be much easier to stomach a new Pokemon game now.

I'll start playing right after I write this. Expect updates every 1-2 days. It should be interesting seeing how much I come out liking or not liking each entry the second half of Pokemon's main series run. I'll try to make these entertaining to read and put substantial effort into each update. Here I go.

beanDude

Reviewer
All right, since I was very busy today I didn't have time to start. My task for tonight is not to start Black version, but to find copies of Black/White 2, X or Y, and Sun or Moon since those are the ones I don't have. Furthermore, I think before I begin I should talk about the three rules I will be following for each playthrough:

1. The choice in starter Pokemon will be determined by a dice roll. Whatever I roll, I have to choose. This ties into my second rule.

2. All Pokemon used must be the earliest obtained of that species. This prevents trying to pick and choose for the best nature, ability, EV, IV, etcetera, etcetera. Resetting is allowed for attempts to catch a Pokemon, but once I've gotten a Pokemon I want, I must stick with it. This applies to any Pokemon not obtained through catching as well, such as starters. Once that Pokemon is obtained, I must use it as is.

3. The use of game guides is prohibited. No checking what Pokemon learn what moves at what level or when or how they evolve.

Also the last thing I need to specify is that I am clear to move on to the next game once I have finished all the main story content of the game. Side content is optional. While I could miss stuff since I'm not using a guide, once the game stops hinting that there's more to the main quest to do, I'll move on.

I'll try to play enough each day so I hit a major point, for example, a gym or a story event, with each update. If I can't, I'll still try to make the write-up entertaining.

beanDude

Reviewer
Quick update before I start that I thought might be interesting: looking at the existing file on the cart before deleting it, it seems that the last time I played was 2/21/2013, so almost 10 years ago. I had a little over 7 hours of playtime, and 2 badges. Pokedex count was at 29.

beanDude

Reviewer
Day 1

Started out in the quiet little town of Nuvema. While the opening bit with the Professor would lead one to believe that this is just another Pokemon game, it quickly becomes apparent that this one was made with the consideration that for a large number of players, this isn't their first Pokemon game. Immediately I began the game already being introduced to my two friends/rivals, and in less than a minute I was already choosing my starter Pokemon. I rolled a 6, which means I choose Oshawott. Well had I been allowing myself to just pick normally, my first choice would have been Snivy. Well, that's why I made this rule. I'm sure I'll become attached to the little guy in no time. While getting to this point doesn't take long in any prior game, this is the fastest yet. Next I'm visiting Juniper's lab and I'm already getting the Pokedex and 5 Poke Balls. It's on to Route 1, a tutorial on how to catch, and the game is already getting going. I appreciate the streamlining here and cutting out all the filler. Route 1 is pretty straightforward, with the only noteworthy thing being the optional challenge to catch as many Pokemon as possible. Then it's on Accumula town. After a brief Pokemon Center tutorial I head out to the plaza where Team Plasma is making a public appearance. I'll give my full thoughts on them once I get through the game's story, but all I can say is right now they might already be my favorite "evil team". Also at this point I've seen Ghestis and met another character, N, who challenges me to a battle. At this point I've been training my starter, and I've got the two Route 1 species on backup, so one Level 7 is a complete pushover. Finally I get to explore Accumula. While there's not many important things here, it's a very pleasant place and most of the NPC dialogue here is meant to give gameplay hints to new players. This is the first real town of the game, and it's clear that already they're trying to take things up a step from Diamond and Pearls', with this one already being less flat, with one path even leading to a spot overlooking another Route. Easily my favorite thing here though is the house with the pianist and the drummer. While it serves no gameplay purpose, talking to each of these NPC's adds another track to the background music until you leave the town. While Black and White ditched the day/night variations of tracks, it's clear by this point that this is justified because of the prominent use of dynamic music in this game. Another example is the player character's movements affecting the music on Routes. This is a fun detail that I hope keeps coming up throughout the game.

Anyways, after a few Trainer battles I reach Straiton City. I head to the Dreamyard to the right of it, battle two Trainers and receive a Pansear for my effort. I check the Trainer's School for the Gym Leader, but just miss him. By this point I have battled both of my rivals again. I still have only focused on leveling my starter since in the early game, my starter's level will make or break most battles. After entering the Gym, I get a free healing item, which is a nice bonus. The puzzle of this gym plus at least two other NPC's I've met thus far are an obvious tutorial about type advantages among the three starter types. Also, the fancy restaurant theme is cool with the theme being tied to three battles. I get past the first two opponents and by this point have leveled Pansear up to 12. Enter the gym's gimmick: there's three Gym Leaders, and the one you battle has a Pokemon that's Super Effective against your starter. I like this because it's a really memorable way to start the game. Because I chose Oshawott, my opponent was Cilan. After um-ing through a sentence or two, the battle begins. Since I put Pansear out front, I had to take a turn to switch to my Level 14 starter to deal more damage to his Lillup. However, it's got a move that raises both it's Attack and Sp Attack. By the time I started dealing damage, it had already buffed itself several times, and once I thought I had the upper hand, Cilan had a potion for it. It was only a matter of time before his Lilup swept my team. Now THIS is Pokemon! PLEASE let this game keep up this kind of difficulty. The fact that I lost to the first Gym is very promising of what's to come. My second battle didn't go much better. This time I opened with Oshawott and tried a few stat moves between him and Pansear. While I did get past Lillup this time, I was in no place to take on Pansage, who also had the same stat-boosing move. I lost again, and realized that I needed to just go on the offensive and take out Cilan's first Pokemon before it could buff itself too much. I levelled up my own Lillup as a backup while finding a Purrloin the process. This strategy worked, with him being forced to use the Potion sooner, and then once Lillup was out, Pansear was the perfect counter to Pansage as it could take Vine Whips without a problem. Finally, after three battles, the badge was mine.

I then meet Fennel, who wants some mist from a Pokemon in the Dreamyard. I go back there, now able to cut down the tree blocking the entrance to the upper area. Bianca is here too. I find a Munna, and two Team Plasma grunts, who I battle. They're both easy to beat, and then they get scared off by Munna and it's evo creating an illusion. I get the mist, Fennel gives me a new device which I will not be using as official online play for this game is no longer supported. Finally I can pass through Straiton's garden and continue to the next route. I end my session in front of the day-care.

I'll try to keep closing thoughts on each session short since I'll go into what I think of the whole game at the end. All I can say now is that I'm having fun. It's nice to be playing a Pokemon game again that isn't afraid to challenge the player early on. I wish I had checked out Gen 5 sooner if it stays this entertaining.

Laser Shuckle

Cool idea! Journaling as you go is something I've been picking up myself lately though I've never written about games. Black and White were the last games I played before coming back to the series with Pokemon Sword. I never played Black/White 2, X/Y, or Ultra Sun/Moon.

Hope you stuck with it man.

Status
Not open for further replies.