• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Playing the Leveling Field (561)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
The Dancing Gym Leader! Fantina Appears!!

As the gang get to Celestic Town for a Pokémon Contest, Ash & Co. bump into the Hearthome Gym Leader, Fantina. Ash is eager to see her battle, however she is more interested in the upcoming contest. She does agree to a practice match, but is Ash biting off more than he can chew?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Finally! Ive been waiting for this episode for quite some time. And I think this is like the most discussed on serebii x_x (I mean, everytime ive looked at “new posts” the episode speculation thread is up there) Well anyways it looks like a good episode, cant wait till it comes where I live :p

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
I KNEW IT! I was 100% sure Fantina's Drifloon would evolve! That's because up to now all gym leader pokemon in the anime are identical to the gym leader pokemon in the games.

Also, the episodes pics suggest that Fantina is actually a truly powerful gym leader, having defeated all 3 of Ash's pokemon with just her Drifloon/Drifblim. Ash will sweat to beat her and I believe that he won't use buizel again, but that he will use Pikachu, Chimchar and either Staravia or Gliscor.

dman_dustin

Slowking[George];8641939 said:
I KNEW IT! I was 100% sure Fantina's Drifloon would evolve! That's because up to now all gym leader pokemon in the anime are identical to the gym leader pokemon in the games.

Also, the episodes pics suggest that Fantina is actually a truly powerful gym leader, having defeated all 3 of Ash's pokemon with just her Drifloon/Drifblim. Ash will sweat to beat her and I believe that he won't use buizel again, but that he will use Pikachu, Chimchar and either Staravia or Gliscor.

Fantina didn't defeat all of Ash's Pokemon, Ash forfeited but he still had Chimchar, and Pikachu left.

Buizel is the only one that was knocked out, Pikachu and Chimchar were merely put to sleep with hypnosis.

Squaaah

I thought if a pokemon was sent to sleep and returned it could still be sent out later to battle, but it would still be asleep.

Eitherway, Fantina gave ash a hell of a run for his money ith a single pokemon, which has now gotten stronger by evolving. Ash is gonna need some serious training before he battles her again.

Was the reason Fantina was away so long because she lost a gym battle to a guy with a Probobass(sp), who she'd previously beaten in a contest? Or did i read into that bit incorrectly?

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
I liked the little things in this episode - Random cameos of past characters, Fuwante dropping profanities, and the fact that Piplup's head has now doubled in size. Maybe it'll finally explode, because random objects exploding are what this series is best known for. The battle was good, even with a near-sweep, although I become more convinced with each episode that Chimchar is nothing more than a beating stick who may as well have gone to Team Rocket, as it'd be just as successful there.

I'd say Drifloon's evolution was horribly animated, but there wasn't even any animation to it. I know this is Kinoshita we're talking about, but there wasn't even a shape-morphing transition.
Was the reason Fantina was away so long because she lost a gym battle to a guy with a Probobass(sp), who she'd previously beaten in a contest? Or did i read into that bit incorrectly?
No, considering how the gang met Probopass Boy after their first visit to Hearthome.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
You know, as much as general consensus has been that she's always looked like Tucker in drag (which may very well be the most redundant of redundant mental images possible), there were numerous scenes where I thought ‘y’know….she doesn’t look all that manly’. I mean, for all I know it may have just been a screw-up on Kinoshita’s part that, in a strange twist of fate, somehow ended up being beneficial for the character, but still. I’m quite interested to see how she’ll look in the hands of a better animation team.
Better, I assume.

Zoey is just as bad as her riv- pardon, bestest friend ever, when it comes to neglecting every other pokémon she owns. I hate to break it to ya Glameow, but unless you can swallow a pokéball whole without repercussion and change that ‘Nyaru' into a ‘Pocha!’ via a costly and presumably painful medical procedure, you ain't getting that limelight no matter how many times you tread all over your team mates.
Adding to that, the more often we’re shown Mismagius in the show, the less and less I care about her own ghost ever evolving into it.

In any case, it was a decent episode. I enjoyed Fantina as a character, as I suspected I would, and her use of random english was still mildly amusing, despite the fact that other characters have done it before. Her reaction to Croagunk’s assault on Brock’s rear end (haw haw) was priceless.
The battle itself was pretty good, considering this is more than likely going to be the last time we see a Drifloon do anything of worth, and it was nice to see substantial use of Hypnosis which, to my recollection, hasn't been widely used through the animé's history, let alone the multitude of other sleep-inducing techniques. Strategic moves like that tend to shake things up a little, and it certainly did it's job here. I'm hoping for good things come the return to Hearthome.

Yanmega showing some emotion deserves some praise too methinks. How long did it take Dustox to chuckle or bawl it's eyes out? Eons, I'm sure.
And did Dustox laugh like a food swiping, hammer totting, Waddle Dee commanding, avian dictator? Nuh-uh, it did not.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Funny how they bring up Juan in this episode, when you think they would have brought him up back in the Wallace eps.

gpt11

Slowking[George];8641939 said:

yeah im guessing everyone knew it would evolve since it evolved in the preview

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Another thing I'd like to add is that Fantina is going to be a very interesting character to see dubbed. The dub has pretty much glossed over English outbursts by such characters as Jessie and Harley, but Fantina does it on a much more regular basis, and I have a feeling that if PUSA doesn't do something that even attempts to be creative with her outbursts, much of her uniqueness could be lost.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Haven't watched this episode yet...but, from the pics, Fantina's face still bugs me. :0
Although, not because she looks like Tucker, but because of her weird eyeshadow.

Fantina will probably speak French in the dub since they established that in the english game atleast...and, er, Tim Allen quotes which hopefully will make it to the show as well.

and it was nice to see substantial use of Hypnosis which, to my recollection, hasn't been widely used through the animé's history
According to Bulbapedia, the last one who used it was Harrison's Hypno, and prior to that was Drowzee and Gengar back in Season 1.

Besides that, I think Yawn was the only other sleep move we've ever seen.

Dax

Legend
I think it was a good episode. Fantina is a great character. I liker her personality and I love that her Drifloon actually had personality. I love how it tossed Buizel around like it was nothing. It was almost like a gift to me since I don't like the otter. XD

Anyways, very sad for Chimchar. I know Chimchar didn't lose but when you consider the fact that Chimchar is absolutely shafted and when it comes out nothing relevant happens then it's sad. I hope it can do something in the gym battle because so far it's just nothing.

It was good not great.

Ryuusei

the sakura trainer~
The episode was good damnit. I love how Fantina pretty much owned Ash/Zoey with just one Pokemon. TR's not doing something bad for once, =o. Jessie's actually trying to learn techniques from Fantina, a huge character change from her cheating methods in AG. <3 Jessie and Yanmega. I love how Yanmega laughed, so evilllll.

also, I enjoyed seeing Chimchar, Buizel and Pikachu fall in the battle against a single Pokemon. Ohwell, this should prompt Ash to use Gliscor.

Geodude

Yeah hopefully Fantina's French from the games makes it to the dub to take the place of her English in Japanese. They did that with Harley a few times, so it's been done before. It'd be awesome if they could find a VA for her who could pull off a good French accent.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
this episode does a fine job of ironic twist's, just when you think Ash was off his losing streak to gym leaders, by clean sweeping one, low and behold he gets swept again by a GL with one pokemon which is quite pathetic.

Also, don't ya just love how they keep screwing chimchar over? Cause i sure do.

A surprisingly good episode. Although my first thought after was "Wow. She even SOUNDS like a transvestite!". If they'd have given her a bit more of a serious voice then they could have gotten away with it.

But anyway, the battle was good. We finally have a new animation for Thunderbolt (How long did it take Iron Tail?). And it was good to see MEGA.Yanma outside have some personality as well. But I'm sure it sounds familiar.

Yanmega showing some emotion deserves some praise too methinks. How long did it take Dustox to chuckle or bawl it's eyes out? Eons, I'm sure.
And did Dustox laugh like a food swiping, hammer totting, Waddle Dee commanding, avian dictator? Nuh-uh, it did not.

Thanks Gravy. MEGA.Yanma is voice by Sakurai-san!

The episode was good, but it was still annoying to watch cause of the animation quality.

I thought it looked good seen from the preview, but then it just got a lot worse. It was embarrassing to look at Buizel in a few shots, it looked..demolished? Fire Kinoshita already..