• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Playing the Leveling Field (561)

ShinyVaati

100% Rebel Time Lord
I was kinda shocked too. Though it does suit her. So now what? When's he gonna challge her again?

In another 9 episodes.

Last edited:

katfairy

Loved TR's role in this- they actually did everything they came for and got away cleanly- how often does that happen?

I do have some complaints about this episode, though. First, Fantina's accent. DEEP HURTING. She sounds like Yvette from Clue. Second, WTF was up with the translation? Could they have put in any more ridiculous lines? You can't convince me that those were a direct translation, especially the "lemons" bit.

dman_dustin

katfairy;9392851 Second said:
Of course not those are expressions. Expressions can't be directly translated word for word and have the same meaning. For all we know the Japanese used an expression as well, who knows what it would sound like if it was directly translated. It might not even make sense, in a situation like that you have to change it.

I'm really wondering why anyone (anyone) would get so worked about translations. When I took french for four years in high school. My French teacher basically said "Direct word for word translations is a horrible way to know what something means."

Mario-Sonic

Former NSider
Man I was hoping that Pikachu would actually pull through against Drifloon. Hypnosis x 3 = Game Over for this fight. Too bad Ash never had a Vigoroth or some other Pokemon immune to sleeping since that would be pretty vital against Hypnosis users.

Of course not those are expressions. Expressions can't be directly translated word for word and have the same meaning. For all we know the Japanese used an expression as well, who knows what it would sound like if it was directly translated. It might not even make sense, in a situation like that you have to change it.

I'm really wondering why anyone (anyone) would get so worked about translations. When I took french for four years in high school. My French teacher basically said "Direct word for word translations is a horrible way to know what something means."

I've seen some literal translations from Japanese to English over the years, and there is nothing that comes across as humorous. It's all in the nuance, and the interpretation. I would say Pokemon's huge success in large part has come from the ability to keep the essence of the storyline while not being afraid to take chances in the adaptation.

ash_forever

Greatest Hero
(sorry for the delay but it took me a bit to find this episode today)

Well,to be honest I'm writing this review with mixed feelings:

First of all, I really like Fantina! Although the Hearthome gym battle hasn't taken place yet, she already belongs to my favorite Sinnoh gym leaders! Her French dialect was a welcome change and her glamorous dress was stunning. Her violet eye shadow was perhaps a teense bit too exaggerated and made her look too old, (Girls, what do you think about that?) but that was really trivial if you ask me.
Probably it's just me but the best about her was that she somehow reminded me of Cynthia!
No, I'm not kidding. You see, most of her features, namely her glamor, the dress, and her strength, could as well be ascribed to my beloved Cynthia.:blush::blush:

However, here's why I couldn't entirely enjoy this week's episode:
It's damn hard for an Ash-Fan to admit that, but he failed miserably today :mad:
I haven't seen such a bad performance of him for ages:uhoh:
To make things worse, I have the worrying feeling that Chimchar will be neglected and screwed up! Let's do some straight talking:
When has Chimchar done something really significant since Ash got him? After almost 50 episodes he hasn't even won a gym batte yet!! (In "Chim-charred" he wasn't the "normal" Chimchar!)
I really love Chimmy and it brakes my heart having to see how badly he is treated by the writers...:thumbd:
Will Paul really be right in the end or do you think that his standing will improve?...some day...

Anyways, Ash, I was really diappointed and even somewhat shocked today!
Pikachu can't handle a little, unenvolved(!!!) ballon Pokemon?! That is,sorry for having to say that, but that is alarming. Pikachu has already faced much stronger Pokemon than a Driftloon and could stand his own almost every time!
I'm really lacking the words to describe how surprised and shocked I am.
Just imagine: If Paul had been there watching, he would surely have made fun of Ash... How humiliating!

Well, on the one hand a successful introduction of the awesome Fantina but on the other a sad defeat for Ash. Of course, he had to lose in the first encounter with Fantina, but was it really necessary that he was swept away that much?

6.5 out of 10 points

katfairy

I don't ask for a direct translation, just a fairly accurate one. And one that isn't patently ridiculous. This one failed.

Rebeccag

This episode was ok. It was good to see Fantina after all this time though
Love James calling Chimchar chimmy though hehe
Thought Pikachu would have won though even though Drifloom evolved

kemal07

loved this episode especially the way fantina was introduced. i liked Fantina's accent theyve made the voice match her image perfectly.i wasnt dissapointed and shocked about Ash losing to Fantina because he has always had a trcky time beating Ghost type pokemon for example,
he beat Morty after a very tough battle
and he lost against Agatha's Gengar easily

ghost pokemon are tricksy dont forget :D

uber gon

Accept Change
I know this animé doesn't follow real world physics, but since when does wind result in sparks? Seriously.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I liked this episode alot. The music to the title intro was really cool, like something I've never heard before.
Fantina's voice was esquisite. Her voice actress did a good job at makeing her sound French. :) I loved it.

First Paris, and now Fantina do really well with some French words like "s'il vous plaît" or "Très bien".

Im pumped up for the next episode, despite the horrible episode title.

uber gon

Accept Change

Mario-Sonic

Former NSider
(sorry for the delay but it took me a bit to find this episode today)

Well,to be honest I'm writing this review with mixed feelings:

First of all, I really like Fantina! Although the Hearthome gym battle hasn't taken place yet, she already belongs to my favorite Sinnoh gym leaders! Her French dialect was a welcome change and her glamorous dress was stunning. Her violet eye shadow was perhaps a teense bit too exaggerated and made her look too old, (Girls, what do you think about that?) but that was really trivial if you ask me.
Probably it's just me but the best about her was that she somehow reminded me of Cynthia!
No, I'm not kidding. You see, most of her features, namely her glamor, the dress, and her strength, could as well be ascribed to my beloved Cynthia.:blush::blush:

However, here's why I couldn't entirely enjoy this week's episode:
It's damn hard for an Ash-Fan to admit that, but he failed miserably today :mad:
I haven't seen such a bad performance of him for ages:uhoh:
To make things worse, I have the worrying feeling that Chimchar will be neglected and screwed up! Let's do some straight talking:
When has Chimchar done something really significant since Ash got him? After almost 50 episodes he hasn't even won a gym batte yet!! (In "Chim-charred" he wasn't the "normal" Chimchar!)
I really love Chimmy and it brakes my heart having to see how badly he is treated by the writers...:thumbd:
Will Paul really be right in the end or do you think that his standing will improve?...some day...

Anyways, Ash, I was really diappointed and even somewhat shocked today!
Pikachu can't handle a little, unenvolved(!!!) ballon Pokemon?! That is,sorry for having to say that, but that is alarming. Pikachu has already faced much stronger Pokemon than a Driftloon and could stand his own almost every time!
I'm really lacking the words to describe how surprised and shocked I am.
Just imagine: If Paul had been there watching, he would surely have made fun of Ash... How humiliating!

Well, on the one hand a successful introduction of the awesome Fantina but on the other a sad defeat for Ash. Of course, he had to lose in the first encounter with Fantina, but was it really necessary that he was swept away that much?

6.5 out of 10 points

Imagine Paul facing Fantina. Just by looking at her Mismagius, I'm sure that even Paul's Weavile and Hochkrow would have problems. Weavile got humiliated by Cynthia's Garchomp, so it would be real amusing to see Weavile lose right off the bat from Hypnosis, and the irony is that it's supposed to be great against Ghost-types.

Seriously though, the anime doesn't follow game mechanics, which was way Drifloon had so much stamina to take even the nastiest electric attack.

Kthleen

Wayfaring stranger
For anyone who still cares, I found all the things Fantina says in French. She says alors (kind of like "so" or "well") a lot. Anyway....

Battle with Zoey:

My battling style is something to see, n'est-ce pas [isn't it]?

Psywave, tout de suite [right now]!

Merci à vous [thank you]! You were a most formidable opponent!

Enchantée [~Pleased to meet you]. My name is Fantina. A true plaisir [pleasure].

The thing is, I've now become a traveling trainer, just like you! And so I regret to say that gives me no other choice but to leave the Hearthome gym en vacances [on vacation].

In the Pokémon Center:

I'm sorry, but c'est impossible [that's impossible].

And the Hearthome gym was able to open with moi [me] as its leader.

Alors, you understand my feelings. (Brock says oui [yes].)

Bien sûr [of course]! Which finally led me to realize one more thing: I had to create a... new style of battling, one that would combine the beauty of competición [seriously, the way she says it sounds more Spanish] with the ferocity of the battlefield!

No, not quite yet, ma chérie [my dear].

But since my Pokémon are feeling très fatigués [very tired], I'm afraid I'll only be able to battle with one of you.

Battle with Ash:

Alors, Drifloon! Battle position, vite [quickly]!

Buizel, that move of yours was superbe!

Alors, dear Drifloon, go and pick Buizel up!

Alors, Ash, it is you who has the honor!

Très vite [very quickly], Drifloon! Psychic!

Now, s'il vous plaît [if you please], we'll take control of that!

Alors, this time, I start!

Well, I'm impressed! That Thunderbolt is magnifique [magnificent]!

Alors! My Drifloon's starting to evolve!

Incroyable [incredible]! My Drifloon has evolved into a Drifblim! Vraiment incroyable [truly incredible]!

(Ash growls then says, "That's it.") Oui, looks like it.

I accept your challenge. And thank you for a battle incroyable.

In the meantime, you have a magnifique time out on the road!

Mais oui, ma chérie [of course, my dear] Dawn. I promise! Bien sûr. Meanwhile, let's all keep working since you can't count your Torchic before they hatch, n'est-ce pas
? (This is when Brock asks Zoey if she had any idea what Fantina just said.)​

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Man, those phrases are very amazing. Her voice was just like perfect. Lol, so was Brock's once he tried the romantic bit on her. :D

Genome

pro-SHARK WEEK
Alright. Who let the Zoey in?

The Brock-originated octagonal face brings a certain je ne sais quoi to Fantina's body. Especially that stretched kisser.

Yanmega was just chuckling along with Jessie. This is awesome.

Stop wearing shades indoors, Meowth. You think you're some kind of Scott? Well, YOU'RE NOT!

I guess you can teach an old Beyblade kid new tricks.

I've got Whismur eyes for you.

Evidently, the line up for Maylene won't cut it for Fantina. Not even a little bit.

And the Oscar for the best sweeping goes to..!

6/10 All the key words were used for a frenchie in a dub. But she's high-strung and crudités compared to the glee of the foreigners in Yugioh GX. Missing a great piece de resistance insert duly noted. The battling (the meat of this ep) was moderate, I do like inventive moves by Driffloom. Blowing offense, and skillfully evading to maintain distance is a strategy that needs headway in this show. All the birds and the gals seem to love the buzz from crash landing, so ghosts is all I get. Let's just hope that Ash's pokemon don't start twirling, and Fantina's continue whirling, or we might just have ourselves a Spin Zone.