1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Playing the Performance Encore (630)

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Diamond & Pearl: Sinnoh League Victors' started by Serebii, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

You mean the one when they turned into living fireworks?

I believe that should be Spark.

What I find amusing in this episode was Ursula really did care for Plusle and Minun. She did not praise Wormadam or Jigglypuff, however, she comforted the rodents.

Kind of weird to me as she always was like Gabite this Gabite that.

2. Almighty Zard

Almighty Zard He has returned.

don't even start cyber....

Thank the lord she won, but I wonder where the grand festival is going to be held.

I'm thinking that if they want her to get in, she'll likely have a side contest during Ash's battle with Volkner, and then *gasp* a contest that centers around her trying to earn her fifth ribbon in the "last" contest before the GF after all it wasn't specified that this was the last contest now was it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  3. ZgonDuck

ZgonDuck Like A Boss

Man, this was a good 'en.

I loved that Ice Shard and Flame Wheel Combo, its even better because Mamoswine had control of it (I think). Oh, Mamo swallowing Ice Shard looked really cool, it looked like a porcupine or like Sonic with those quills on its back.

The battle was great too. I never thought that Pluse and Minun could be used so effectively in the anime, even if it was in double battles. Good to see Mamo and Cynda support Dawn and encourage her. lol at Mamo's fur looking like Dawn's hair during battle, I guess even though the electric attacks didn't harm Mamo, it caused her points to go down either way.

I guess Jessie will be getting her last 2 ribbons while the twerps are in Sunnyshore.

4. STICKTOPIA

STICKTOPIA Well-Known Member

This was a great episode overall. I'm happy that Dawn finally got the 5th ribbon! It was looking pretty bad but she managed to save herself and that's good. Did I miss any part of this episode with Dawn having a Starly???

5. Platinum fan.

Platinum fan. RetiredPokemonMaster

Pretty nice contest episode, as two parters are rare. Mamoswine and Cyndaquil really got to shine in this contest, literally. I guess Dawn's connection with Cyndaquil and Mamoswine was stronger then I thought. Then again Cyndaquil's a baby and probably views Dawn as it's mother or something, it's Mamoswine's connection that surprised me. The two are really close now. Overall good contest battle, The Ice and Fire combo was nicely executed and will probably serve Dawn well in the future of her contest. Dawn finally has her 5th ribbon and before the last gym badge... Thank goodness they didn't pull the 'Last contest of the year' thing.

6. Shneak

Shneak this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨

This episode doesn't look bad from the pics.

Dawn finally got 5 ribbons though.

7. deathseer

deathseer Oh, u mad bro?

Finally Dawn wins her last ribbon. And she really deserves it. Mamo and Cyndaquil did awesome. Even when she was down and out, the two didn't give up. And she was really down. Ursula just kept beating her down with attack after attack. Really proud of Dawn for fighting through and coming out on top. Her strive to win really showed when she didn't allow a single attack from Plusle and Minun. She was like a surgeon out there.

Man. If this is how the two battle now, the Grand Festival is sure to be epic.

8. WaterShuriken

WaterShuriken Well-Known Member

This was eally awesome.

Jessie should have had a longer fight though what i really liked was that Jessie cheered for Dawn and rooted for her. Jessie's grown.

Dawn was great too. Flame Ice looked really cool. Swift Ice Take Down was really cool too.

Ursula was sparkly too. Many sparkles. I'm surprised her Plusle and Minun didn't know Nasty Plot and Grass Knot.

9. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

I'm not as I saw the preview and the episode before. I hope they learn Nasty Plot by Grand Festival though.

As her strategy was to make everything go sparkly and dodging attacks, I believe Ursula was reading Twilight lately,

10. J-boogie200

J-boogie200 Well-Known Member

Dude, whatever you are holding on to, let it go! :D

This episode was awesome, it rocked my socks!

Jessie, Dawn, and Ursula all made this episode for what it was.

I originally thought it would be nice to see Ursula beat Dawn, however, what she did during the match, made me believe she got what she deserved.

Dawn almost made me cry. I just loved how she recovered, and realized the importance of the match, and her pokemon's trust in her.

The music when Dawn won, and the love she showed Mamoswine and Cyndaquil and that they showed her, really made this episode one of the best this saga's ever had.

I love Ursula's character, and Jessie's determination and confidence.

I love Dawn in general, she really has had a Cinderella story, and I hope she wins the Grand Festival, because she deserves it!

11. deathseer

deathseer Oh, u mad bro?

Question: Does anyone else think that this win cemented Dawn as a skilled Coordinator?

I mean, for her to come back like that was nothing short of amazing. She was almost down and out and it seemed almost impossible for her to win with Ursula taunting her as well. But she pulled herself together and pulled off a beautiful win. So much so that she didn't allow a single attack from her opponent in the final few seconds. Never in all of May's contests have I ever been so anxious for her to win. The entire time Dawn was going, I just wanted her to keep fighting on because she wanted to win so badly. The fact that she has been trying so hard and has finally succeed in getting her final ribbon puts her at the top of my list in terms of main girls.

I for one was really proud and think that Dawn will make it far in the Grand Festival.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  12. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Mamoswine definitely shined the most. The scene with the ice shards sticking out of it was pretty amazing.

We all knew Mamoswine was going to become a powerhouse once Dawn was able to control it, so we're seeing it now. It makes me wonder what Mamoswine will do in the GF.

13. firestar319

firestar319 The Marauder

I totally agree with you. I didn't think Dawn was a superb coordinator, but this battle proved me wrong. The battle was flat-out awesome. From the Ice Shard, Swift, Take Down combo to Plusle and Minun's Helping Hand and Spark combos. The bond between Mamoswine, Cyndaquil, and Dawn was very touching to me when Dawn was losing herself. After she pulled herself together, she showed what being a coordinator is all about, from having Cyndaquil and Mamoswine attacking each other to break Encore, to perfecting the Flame-Ice combo, to her relentless assualt afterward...It was just awesome. 10/10

14. HoennMaster

HoennMaster Well-Known Member

I like May, but this just cemented me liking Dawn overall better. She's had to struggle so much and she pulled off an amazing win.

Question though. What the heck is that brown dust looking stuff surrounding Mamoswine and Cyndaquil for a good portion of the fight?

15. S.Suikun

S.Suikun Thank you, SPPf! :)

Provided she doesn't post while I'm watching this, I will have beaten Juputoru to the bullet-point-punch, thus cementing my greatness in forum hyphen history. You dare deny my greatness? Well, I dare deny your inferiority! Wait...that didn't come out quite right. Oh well, BACK TO ADVENTURE!

- Did I mention last week that Plusle and Minun scare the **** out of me? I'm sure I did, but in case I didn't, here goes - Plusle and Minun scare the **** out of me.
    - Seriously, they are the doggone happiest Pokemon no matter what they do, even if it's being cold-blooded murderous toward an opponent. Psychopaths.
    - They sparkle, just like vampires. Whaddya mean, "REAL VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE"? I take it you've been watching too many REAL vampire movies lately.
    - So according to that clock, Yanmega and Seviper took a full 20 seconds to fall to the ground. Must be the same logic applied to last week's floating ice balls.
    - No complaints about a newborn Cyndaquil winning? Is the fanbase finally maturing? AHAHAHA I'M KIDDING DOOFUSES.
    - Look, it's Piplup! Did I mention how much I LOVE Piplup? If you ask me, it should be the star of EVERY episode. Wait a sec...
    - So Encore finally get a long-overdue debut. Still not as lengthy as Substitute, however.
    - Come to think of it, contest rotation limitations make Encore pretty damn broken.
    - Bahaha Pikari. Maybe you should blame your mother for giving you such a pun-tastic name.
    - Pikari makes comeback blah blah blah. You know what I feel like talking about instead? Pet rocks. I owned a Pet Rock once. I named him Larry.
    - Ursula swears revenge at the Grande Festibol. So about Larry...
    Encore. It's like pixie dust, but more Encore-ish.

16. arceus7

arceus7 Arcane Of The Wild

was a very good ep I liked dawns contest preformance

17. Magical Needle Smash

Magical Needle Smash Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because I was already in a good mood, but that was a great episode. There was some fantastic battle music played throughout, too. Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like the older pieces of background music are being re-touched a bit.

One of the potential problems with timed battles like these is cheap wins being slipped in at the final moment, but I think this episode did a good job of staying out of that territory. The battles were handled believably, and each coordinator was given time to perform well. Thanks to being a two-parter, the pacing was much better than we usually get for contests.

As for whether or not we'll see these two rivals make another appearance during the Grand Festival: Part of me wants to say no due to the fact that it would just mean more material to cram in, potentially leading to a poorer quality. This episode would have been a good way of wrapping up two rivals and making room for the rest down the road, but the way things ended on a positive note today makes me think they could show up after all.

So, yeah: Great battles, nice pacing, and excellent animation. If the next Gym is handled just as well, we'll be in for something great.

(Also, I liked Hikari's borrowing of Satoshi's line "getto da ze" at the end of the episode and Plusle and Minun's fusion dance. Little things like that are nice.)

18. Lorde

Lorde Banned

I'm so glad it started out with Ursula versus Jessie so we could get on with the main battle sooner rather than later. I loved Plusle and Minun's Spark combo that turned them into shining versions of themselves!

Even better, their Helping Hand fireworks combo was so kawaii! Too bad Jessie lost but oh well, she'll get another chance. I was VERY surprised to see a Togetic, even if it on;y showed up for a few seconds.

About Ursula versus Dawn, I think it was very well done, glad Dawn overcame her fear of Plusle and Minun in time to pull herself and her Pokemon together. Truely a battle worthy of a ribbon. 9/10

19. Godsend Josh

Godsend Josh Team Godsends leader

Just saw it great episode. Watching this episode almost made me want a Plusle and Minun

20. Such a great contest episode. I've always been a fan of Dawn but this episode shows how much she's grown throughout this saga as both a coordinator and as a person. She truly deserves this ribbon. I can't wait to see how great she'll do in the Grand Festival. Jessie and Ursula were unbelievable as well but Dawn truly shined the most. Her bond with Mamoswine and Cyndaquil is shown to be a lot stronger than most believed. This episode has assured Dawn a spot as a skilled coordinator