• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Playing videogames in public

Playing Outside

• Total voters

Coolio35

Handheldsystems like Gameboy, Gamegear or the Nintendo Switch let you play where you want. In western countries like USA, Europa etc. handheldgaming isn't popular like in Japan.

So do you play whith a handheldsystem in public?

When i was a kid i only bougt Handheldsystems like Gameboy, GBA or the Nintendo DS for the newest Pokemon games. Now as Adult with a job i play more often on Handheldsystems. The Nintendo Switch is perfect because i can play when im on the bus to work with a duration of 45 minutes and the same when i getting home and i play 30 minutes at work whem im in my break. It makes 2 Hour per day.

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
I never minded playing games in public.....i don't really wanna get into the details.

But, if a person is gonna dislike what i do, i could care less about them, because only nice people matter to me.

EDIT: So i'll vote 'often'. I don't take games out anymore, but thats only because I do not have proper carrying cases for handhelds i own now. Ever since i dropped my 2ds at our local whole foods market, i've been so wary in general about that.....

Platina2000

When I was working, I brought my 3DS to play on breaks. People would ask what game I was playing, and then leave me alone (it was mostly Animal Crossing New Leaf before it glitched up). During the final week of work before layoffs ensured, I've bought and brought my Nintendo Switch in place of my 3DS. Since everyone knew I was a gamer, no one ever questioned me.

To play my system in public now, it depends where I'm at, mostly if I'm in a place where I can quickly store the system away if I had to. The last time I played in public was two years ago in a plane on the way to my home state after visiting Florida.

Last edited:

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I never really play in public on my switch.Sometimes my 3ds though I dont like brininging my switch places since they are expensive and I dont want mine stolen.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
I usually take my DSi and my 3ds if I’m traveling with something that can hold them. I usually use them for Pokémon and ACNL, though.

Don’t care about playing in public (if I’m bored it’s something to pass the time), only people I’ve known to openly comment on me playing games or using a handheld were (female) coworkers. Their comments are usually ‘you still play that?’ ‘Cant believe you still have a DS’ or something equally annoying and not worth saying.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Do you include smartphones in the category? Almost everyone with that phone does it. I stick to a trusty flip phone. The other traditional consoles I've seen a few people bring the smaller GB and DS lite on public transit. I wouldn't dare do that and risk having it stolen from my hands.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I kinda feel weird playing games in public and tend not to do it that much.I will often if I’m on a long car trip and I’m not the one driving but I can’t risk my switch being stolen so that’s usually how far I will go.

InfiniteBakuphoon

Impressionist Bakuphoon
When I was younger, I would happily bring my GBA SP (or Game Boy Color, depending on just how young I was) with me almost everywhere I went, and play everywhere from the car to some random chair at whatever stores or other places we went to. It was often the only thing saving me from extreme boredom, and I was able to get a lot of gaming done during what would've otherwise been very uninteresting trips (for young me, anyway).

Nowadays, though, I'm not much into the whole "play anywhere I want" thing, probably because I've become more self-conscious about that kind of thing in my "old age", if you know what I mean. Even with something like the 3DS that was literally made to be taken anywhere, I usually only play things like that at home, mostly taking advantage of the portability to play slouched on the couch or in bed or something. And even if I wasn't so self-conscious about it, I probably still wouldn't play something like a 3DS while, say, on my way to work on a bus/train/etc. because I'm usually in a completely different mindset at that time, i.e. not a gaming one (I'm more likely to check the news on my phone or something).

That said, I have taken my Switch with me on a long train ride before, and I certainly enjoyed the experience of playing it. I did have a seat all to my myself at the time, though, and if someone had been sitting next to me instead, I would've probably refrained from taking it out. Actually more so for the reduced intimacy more so than being self-conscious about it, though (it's not every day that you get to play a Switch on a train, after all; I didn't want anything to reduce the impact of that rather unique experience).

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I play on my Switch and used to on my 3DS in public because there’s rarely a day when I didn’t find someone who wasn’t playing them. For the 3DS, it was mainly XY and for the Switch it was Smash and SwSh. I understand the unspoken stigma of adults playing with consoles in public but I honestly don’t care about the opinions of people I see for 15 minutes at best. Plus I met some friendly people in public who I still talk to to this day

juiccbox

Idiot Extraordinaire
I used to bring my DSi and 3DS with me everywhere, but I don’t so much anymore because I don’t have a lot of time to play when I’m out, considering I don’t even go outside much in the first place lmao
I do like to bring my switch along with me on long trips and stuff though, nice if I’m stuck in an airport or car for awhile or something
Used to be very embarrassed of playing in public, but I hardly care anymore. It’s their problem not mine

Shinehollow

Turning that frown all the way down
depended mostly on what I was doing. during school I'd bring my switch or 3ds during days I knew I'd be doing nothing/exam days with teachers that were generally okay with doing whatever when you finished if you couldn't leave. on ferries I'd play them if the water wasn't bad, but I haven't been on one in years.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I sometimes play mobile games on my phone in public, but just for a few minutes because I tend to get too absorbed in them. I used to carry my GBA and DS with me when I was much younger too, but I stopped after I almost lost one of those consoles. That experience made me far less keen to bring them out in public.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
You learn to play video games in public if you have Animal Crossing.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I remember I was waiting for something in pubic and was on my Switch playing Pokemon Sword and I looked to my left and in the seat next to me was a guy playing Pokemon Shield and I assume he was trying to find a Mimykyu because he kept opening his pokedex and was searching where Mimykyu are normally found.Being the good person I am I politely tapped him and offered to trade him my Mimykyu.He seemed very confused at first but was glad I helped him out.I then helped trade him a few more Pokemon he needed to complete the sex and he was very grateful.Everyone else waiting was very confused on what we were doing but it was a fun time and love when moments like that occur.

Noa

Pokemon Crystal is my happy place
I am pretty much the same as OP. I play on both of my 30 minute bus rides. I've never been worried about people judging me unless I'm playing games that have questionable content lol. I also play at cafes and stuff. Sometimes people will talk to me about the game as well which is cool.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I hate waiting and doing nothing, so if I'm waiting somewhere for an hour or two, or commuting, I'm likely to bring a handheld with me.

Plus, if I've had a stressful day, pokemon is the game I use to calm down because repetitive stuff like IV breeding is quite relaxing. So I end up in a better mood if I game for a bit after work.

I don't think anyone really judges me for it. Most people are looking at a device when they're on public transport. At my old job I often chatted with co-workers about games, and we've wound up playing Smash or Mario Kart between busy shifts.

That said, if I'm outside in nice weather and I have time to kill, I'd rather read a book under natural light.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I don't usually play video games in public because of the risk of them being damaged or stolen.Plus it would be weird to me for omen to see a grown man playing Pokemon n a large group of people.