• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Playing With Your Favorites

Do you play with your favorites?

• Total voters

PokeMaster366

Who or what you consider your favorite is simply a reflection of your own battle style. Everyone has a unique style that can't be 100% copied by anyone else. Those who submit to peer pressure and only use pokemon because they are strong are already limiting themselves. Why do think there were so many Rain and Sandstorm teams in Smogon and that there are so many in RM Doubles.

For me, I have the most fun using teams that work for me and being able to go against others with my full power. I'm not obsessed with winning, but I'm going to go all out anyway with the desire to win in order to improve my own skills and help my opponent improve himself. Honestly, it just ****** me off when people sell their souls for a false power. Your power can only become great if you earn it through your own endeavors, not by having it given to you by someone else.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
Who or what you consider your favorite is simply a reflection of your own battle style. Everyone has a unique style that can't be 100% copied by anyone else. Those who submit to peer pressure and only use pokemon because they are strong are already limiting themselves. Why do think there were so many Rain and Sandstorm teams in Smogon and that there are so many in RM Doubles.

For me, I have the most fun using teams that work for me and being able to go against others with my full power. I'm not obsessed with winning, but I'm going to go all out anyway with the desire to win in order to improve my own skills and help my opponent improve himself. Honestly, it just ****** me off when people sell their souls for a false power. Your power can only become great if you earn it through your own endeavors, not by having it given to you by someone else.

This is very accurate. I've noticed that I do much better using a team I specifically build, as opposed to ripping off standard teams. Sure, I'm still new to this whole thing, so I go ahead and ask for suggestions/advice. But of course, advice provides a second look on your own strategy/team building. In the long run, it helps you grow.

Basically, I agree with this statement 100%. I tried coming up with a bigger explanation, but I'm not sure the one I came up with is actually factual. So I'll just stick to the simple "This guys speaks the truth."

Sanctity

Some people need to realize some people find competing at the best of their abilities is what some people find fun. They arent going to hold themselves back using outclassed Pokes.

For example, Im not gonna use a Snubbull in any OU game, ever.

irock245

She wants it

This reason right here is why i'm taking dragoninte back out for dd salamence.

Pokemom

TCG Gym Leader, Ret.
Is it great 'mon that make a great trainer or a great trainer that makes great 'mon?

Theoretically: if you are truly The Best There Ever Was you should be able to sweep World's with a bunch of unevolved Pokemon, regardless of whether the family is in Uber or NU.

Of course, theory and application are two completely different things ;)

jstinftw!

hey trainer
Is it great 'mon that make a great trainer or a great trainer that makes great 'mon?

Theoretically: if you are truly The Best There Ever Was you should be able to sweep World's with a bunch of unevolved Pokemon, regardless of whether the family is in Uber or NU.

If only, if only. You must be describing Ash Ketchum!

Unfortunately, this requires some massive skill, and a very deep understanding of Pokemon. And even with all of that, a 100% chance of winning is not guaranteed. @__@

PokeMaster366

That's called Cherry Tapping; and in order to do that, there would have to be a major gap in skill between the player and his opponent. Most of your opponents, however, have enough skill to where you can't do this on a regular basis.

Latias_

Passive voice

Actually quite a lot of people can 6-0 an average ubers team with an OU, UU, RU, or even NFE team. The thing is anyone can do that will achieve even better results and maximize their probability to success through the utilisation of better, more suitable Pokémon.

If you can sweep an Ubers team with a UU team, that's great. But if you can do that, then why not use an Ubers team so you can achieve even more success? Because a lot of Pokémon in UU has a counterpart in Ubers that can do the same job better.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I incoptate my favorites with strong pokémon to back them up. My favorite pokémon, marrowack, is out classed by landours and exadrill, (before he was banned) but I still use him from time to time.
I know, with good prediction, Marowak in Trick Room hits like a truck!

Zachmac

Actually quite a lot of people can 6-0 an average ubers team with an OU, UU, RU, or even NFE team. The thing is anyone can do that will achieve even better results and maximize their probability to success through the utilisation of better, more suitable Pokémon.

If you can sweep an Ubers team with a UU team, that's great. But if you can do that, then why not use an Ubers team so you can achieve even more success? Because a lot of Pokémon in UU has a counterpart in Ubers that can do the same job better.
True, but keeping one or two of your favorite pokemon on a team usually doesn't hurt. I just made a team with an attacking lead absol.

PokeMaster366

Can we all stop using phrases such as "with good prediction" and "in the right conditions"? They just seem too vague. BTW, I really like this new Technician Hitmontop I got.

du1387

Exploring Sinnoh
I'm slowly starting to get into the competitive battle scene. I've been reading through smogon and I'm thinking about building a few teams. I already like a few of the OU pokemon anyways, so using them isn't a huge step for me. I think the 'favorites' was more about aesthetic appeal to me.

wildbiscuit

One Tough Cookie
I always try to include at least one of my favourites in my teams. Usually I pick Roserade, because she can fit many roles.

Penance

Regirox
I play UU quite a bit and it is a very lax environment you could probably get away with using 1 or 2 of your favorites. However I feel that OU is a very mainstream metagame where you almost have to build a team of more competitive top tier guys.

To answer the question of whether or not I play with my favorites, yes I do for the most parts. Since I started playing Pokémon around 3rd Gen a lot of them are my favorites (with the exception of the Latis and Blaziken) so I will probably stick a Regi or Tropius or something in a team. I am open to using something superior to them if necessary, save when my team is based around it. One of my all time favorites Nosepass actually has some competitive value in the OU Metagame since it can trap some mainstream Steel type threats on certain teams.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Don't think too much about winning and losing/

To be honest with you, Ive' experimented in raising 50 or more different pokemon from different ranks to try at competitive battling. that's the disappointment of many competitors that I've fought. They wanted to keep their title upheld that tempted them to stick with their OU faves or Anti-M. players. They should be splash-able to make it more fun. I mean, losing just because you are either using a not so organized/weak team or someone's underrated pokemon defeated an UBER or OU poke of yours doesn't mean you really sucked at all or mispredicted that turn.

Pokemon is meant to give diversity with your play style NO matter what rank you are fighting. It's about enjoying using different pokemon to explore their potential in the online competitive world. Don't always stick to only either:

a. Math Calculations: Just because Pokemon A's stats can overpower Pokemon B's performance doesn't mean that you should be confident with the weaker one going down (My Non-EV and IV Cinccino took down an EV'd and IV's Jellicent at Autumn friendly)
b. Ranking of online performance against another Ranking: Being an UU/NU/BL pokemon doesn't mean you can't defeat an OU/Uber. And Vice Versa.
c. Looks: Yes, we know dragons are awesome but an Ice/Sandstorm team can take them down. Or the, I have the top 6 Uber legendary pokemon but that doesn't mean a team of Pure OU's or lower tiers/ Mixed can't even take down at least one of the ubers or the entire team.

Palkia98

I always use atleast on of my favourites. Tyranitar or Aggron have alwasy been in my team. no matter what. i have an entire team of my favourites that i use when i just feel like destroyign the battle subway

McDanger

i always use a favorite, and try to place other favorites as counters so i enjoy the team more, though it is fun to experment