• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Playing With Your Favorites

Do you play with your favorites?

• Total voters

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
I know you directed your post at Rhys but I'll reply to it. Shadowslash, why are you so proud you can win with a team of UU/NU in OU? This is something I don't get. People seem to have this idea that using lower tiers make you in some way "special" or "unique". I believe this was mentioned in the Op. I mean, is there really that much difference from copying and pasting an OU pokemon's set or an UU/NU's that is listed to be used in OU anyways. "I use Pinsir instead of Heracross, therefore I'm a better player than the one who uses Heracross and I'm more original." How so? Also, why do you "respect people who use their favorites instead of using what they think will win"? You see a Tyranitar and "yawn because it's the 17th time you've played against it". Really? So if a favorite of mine is in OU, like Tar or Lucario, I stop being original? I stop having your respect? How does that work?

I do use the pokemon I like. If my favorite doesn't fit a team, I change it. I don't think of myself a better player because I use lower tiers. I see people using the fact that they use lower tiers as an excuse for their losses and as a way to make their wins more "special". I just don't like this self-admiration that goes on with people who use lower tiered pokemon.

Alright, I guess I made it sound like I was pissing on people who used OU and Ubers. I was more trying to defend the people who use favorites against people who think that using anything below OU is doomed to failure. As I had mentioned in my last post, not everyone's favorites are going to be UU and below. It's when people only use Pokemon that they know are better for competitive play, even when they freely say "God I hate this Pokemon, but at least it wins" that it bothers me a little.

Also, I never said that I don't have respect, or you will lose my respect if you use all OU or Ubers, it's just that I have a slightly higher respect for someone who sets aside the normal opinions about their favorites and still tries to make those Pokemon work. I've done it myself, so I know it can be done. And if someone can take a Pokemon like Beedrill and beat someone with all Ubers, then I have to say, kudos to them. And I know, that's an extreme and is quite unlikely to have happen, but you understand my example. How can you say that's not something to be proud of? I suppose I came across as being high and mighty for using different Pokemon, and I don't want to give the impression that I'm cocky and arrogant, however I will say that yes, I am proud that my team is unique, and that I can win with my favorites. I think a lot of people would feel the same way if they were beating people with Pokemon that are normally laughed upon.

Again, I wasn't trying to act high and mighty, nor put down people that use OU and Ubers, rather I was trying to point out that not all players that use their favorites are inferior or less skilled than others, and it adds much more flavor when you find people with teams that are vastly different from the generic OU ones.

Yeah, don't worry. I like that you're humble about it ;D.

I see your point.

It's when people only use Pokemon that they know are better for competitive play, even when they freely say "God I hate this Pokemon, but at least it wins" that it bothers me a little.

Well, what can I say about this? You're right. It bothers you a little, and I kind of get that, but it's understandable that some people don't want to lose over and over because they like, for example, Blaziken but don't like Infernape (this is 4th gen I'm talking about. If you didn't play it, Blaziken didn't have Speed Boost and was quite inferior to Infernape, except for maybe a thing or to that are irrelevant ;p).

Also, I never said that I don't have respect, or you will lose my respect if you use all OU or Ubers, it's just that I have a slightly higher respect for someone who sets aside the normal opinions about their favorites and still tries to make those Pokemon work. I've done it myself, so I know it can be done. And if someone can take a Pokemon like Beedrill and beat someone with all Ubers, then I have to say, kudos to them. And I know, that's an extreme and is quite unlikely to have happen, but you understand my example. How can you say that's not something to be proud of?

I know what you meant with that example. Parasect was the prime counter to the most powerful of all Uber, Kyogre. He was NU as well, I believe. So yeah, UU/NU do have their niches or roles that they fulfill in OU or even Ubers, but using simply outclassed options is what I don't like. This was something that we used to mention a lot in CRMT, you can use cool choices, choices that are not necessarily used the most but that you like a lot, as long as there's not an exact same, except that much better, option.

I also respect the ones that are able to make their favorites work use it regardless of what others think about their choices. I just think is silly to say that players who choose to go for the win, especially when laddering for the leaderboard or playing in a tournament, are worse players than you are because they don't handicap themselves (you being the ones who have said that, not actually you). About the underlined, well, that's just how it looked like ;p

I will say that yes, I am proud that my team is unique, and that I can win with my favorites. I think a lot of people would feel the same way if they were beating people with Pokemon that are normally laughed upon.

Good for you. Really. That's the part the I usually disagree with, when people say that they feel proud when they win with pokemon that are usually laughed at but don't when someone wins with others. This isn't the case with you, as you've stated, but it really bugs me when players that use lower tiered pokemon put down the regular player. I'm saying this so you know where I'm coming from.

By the way, what does your team looks like? Do you have more than one team, one that's your favorites and one that you use for serious matches?

Simipour

<('.'<) (>'.')>
Who the hell prefers pinsir more than heracross aesthetically. heracross is one of the most awesome pokemon, pinsir is meh. its just poetic justice he is better competetively :D

11DBHK

Banned
haha i didn't ask why...i asked who :p
lol, sorry. i'm sure someone out there does but that person is not me.
i don't hate pinsir, its just that heracross is incredibly awesome.
i don't like pinsir, i never did. and pinsir pales in comparison to heracross (imo)
stuffs in bold

BlazingCold

Eh, feraligatr isn't, delcatty isn't, luxray isn't good,

The only ones I can count on are Weavile or Evolite Gligar/normal gliscor.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I definitely use my favorites during the game. Starting with HG/SS, I began to plan my team ahead of time before I got it. I can say that I beat the game with my favs as well. ^^

RifleAvenger

See you starside
I usually choose what I think will work best for the team. Unfortunately, I'm pretty bad at that...

My problem is that I like to win, and I'm creativity deficent. While I can manage some creativity in a game like Magic the Gathering, the long time in takes to raise a pokemon makes the inevitable failures of the creative process a very big turn off to me.

Then again, seeing how many teams I managed to stick a particular pokemon onto, I may be a bit guilty of favorite bias. Sure the pokemon was OU, but looking back, there were better decisions that I overlooked.

I usually choose what I think will work best for the team. Unfortunately, I'm pretty bad at that...

My problem is that I like to win, and I'm creativity deficent. While I can manage some creativity in a game like Magic the Gathering, the long time in takes to raise a pokemon makes the inevitable failures of the creative process a very big turn off to me.

Then again, seeing how many teams I managed to stick a particular pokemon onto, I may be a bit guilty of favorite bias. Sure the pokemon was OU, but looking back, there were better decisions that I overlooked.

That's why test in online simulators like Pokemon Online before starting to breed and raise your pokemon.

Larry

Dragonite and Alakzam have been 2 of my favorites since the beginning and I use them all the time

Well, many pokemon can be competitive with proper team support, so I use my favorites. They're usually UU, but I can use them in OU generally.

For example, from the new generation, I like Sawsbuck, and I like Zoroark. I put them on a team, give proper support, and they're winning. The only problem is that another favorite of mine is Spinda... I have no idea how to make that useable.

Garch0mp0utrage

SemiPokemonUnMaster
I try to use most of my favorites yep. (but with Garchomp banned... XP) The best I can do with my favorites is put up a well-thought-out strategy and hope it works. Most of the time I have to replace them with Pokemon that I really need to get the best out of my team though. That being said, yes, I do use my favorites. I especially Lucario since he fits onto most of my teams AND he's one of my favs.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I shared this thread with Smogon.

AmericanPi

Write on
I shared this thread with Smogon.

I saw... it just got closed. :(

Smogonites tend to be so heartless... I mean, look at this!

I don't believe any of the sh** they said about my second favorite Pokemon. In fact, almost all of my favorites are in NU, because... well, OU Pokemon aren't cute or pretty, and they're WAY too overrated. :K

My fanfiction (Meganium userbar in my signature) expresses my viewpoint towards Smogon... seriously, why was competitive battling even invented?

I even made a Pokemon parody of the song "Price Tag" by Jessie J, titled "Tiers". I'm not going to post it now, though, because it's really long...

I saw... it just got closed. :(

Smogonites tend to be so heartless... I mean, look at this!

I don't believe any of the sh** they said about my second favorite Pokemon. In fact, almost all of my favorites are in NU, because... well, OU Pokemon aren't cute or pretty, and they're WAY too overrated. :K

My fanfiction (Meganium userbar in my signature) expresses my viewpoint towards Smogon... seriously, why was competitive battling even invented?

I even made a Pokemon parody of the song "Price Tag" by Jessie J, titled "Tiers". I'm not going to post it now, though, because it's really long...

Read my signature. You are the second group. There is nothing wrong with being a casual Pokemon player but you should probably learn about what you're insulting.

Why was competitive Pokemon invented? That's a stupid question. Have you never watched the anime, or had friends who play Pokemon? You want to "be the very best, like no one ever was". Its a competitive game, you try your hardest to win.

As for tiers, you clearly don't understand them.

OU is standard play. It is the primary tier and the only one people should care about. In standard, you can use well over 650+ Pokemon freely. If you think you can win with Pidgeot, do so. The "OU" list is simply the top 50 or so most commonly used Pokemon in standard. It is in no way a guide telling you what to use, it is telling you what you should expect to see.

UU / NU / RU / LC / whatever are just alternative playstyles for people who don't want to play standard. The same thing as "pika cup" in Pokemon Stadium. The tiers are broken up based off OU stats but that really doesn't matter.

Long story short, as far as anyone should be concerned when team building they can use whatever they want, barring the ~20-30 banned Pokemon (but not using Kyogre / Mewtwo is common sense).

Sorry, Pidgeot is garbage. Its so inferior to Staraptor, Swellow and Braviary its crazy. I LIKE Pidgeot, but that doesn't make it good. If you want to use it you can but don't cry when other people call it bad.

AmericanPi

Write on
Read my signature. You are the second group. There is nothing wrong with being a casual Pokemon player but you should probably learn about what you're insulting.

Why was competitive Pokemon invented? That's a stupid question. Have you never watched the anime, or had friends who play Pokemon? You want to "be the very best, like no one ever was". Its a competitive game, you try your hardest to win.

As for tiers, you clearly don't understand them.

OU is standard play. It is the primary tier and the only one people should care about. In standard, you can use well over 650+ Pokemon freely. If you think you can win with Pidgeot, do so. The "OU" list is simply the top 50 or so most commonly used Pokemon in standard. It is in no way a guide telling you what to use, it is telling you what you should expect to see.

UU / NU / RU / LC / whatever are just alternative playstyles for people who don't want to play standard. The same thing as "pika cup" in Pokemon Stadium. The tiers are broken up based off OU stats but that really doesn't matter.

Long story short, as far as anyone should be concerned when team building they can use whatever they want, barring the ~20-30 banned Pokemon (but not using Kyogre / Mewtwo is common sense).

Sorry, Pidgeot is garbage. Its so inferior to Staraptor, Swellow and Braviary its crazy. I LIKE Pidgeot, but that doesn't make it good. If you want to use it you can but don't cry when other people call it bad.

You're a Smogonite, eh? But since you're a mod, I can't insult you or I'll get banned with a snap of fingers... -_-

My first impulse was to insult, flame, yell, scream, ramble, etc. But then again, I can't do that...

Yes, I do watch the anime. But I don't want to be the best if it takes the fun out of Pokemon. I'm sorry, but PERSONALLY I can't enjoy Pokemon if it's overrun with all kinds of rules and guidelines. You shouldn't see my movesets. They're like anime ones, like garbage... but the point is I have fun playing the games. I don't need to be the best. I only need to have fun.

And... you can close my fanfic if it gets out of control, but I'll just repost it on Bulbapedia, FanFiction.net, or deviantART. I want to post it on Smogon, but if I do I'll get banned immediately.

*brb watering my Sunflora with Fresh Water and taking my Pidgeot to the Violet City gym*