• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Playing With Your Favorites

Do you play with your favorites?

• Total voters

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Yes, I do watch the anime. But I don't want to be the best if it takes the fun out of Pokemon. I'm sorry, but PERSONALLY I can't enjoy Pokemon if it's overrun with all kinds of rules and guidelines. You shouldn't see my movesets. They're like anime ones, like garbage... but the point is I have fun playing the games. I don't need to be the best. I only need to have fun.

Then, don't play competitive Pokemon, and don't gasp in shock and horror at the people who would rather try to win than try to make sure that their favorite Pokemon is on their team and that it knows the four coolest looking moves.

Hell, it would be a good idea to avoid posting in forums that say things like "Competitive Pokemon" and "Competitive Discussion" if this is your viewpoint. That would be like me going over to the Libertarian forums and denouncing trickle-down theory.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have invisible Libertarians who I need to shake my fist at.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
You're a Smogonite, eh? But since you're a mod, I can't insult you or I'll get banned with a snap of fingers... -_-

My first impulse was to insult, flame, yell, scream, ramble, etc. But then again, I can't do that...

Yes, I do watch the anime. But I don't want to be the best if it takes the fun out of Pokemon. I'm sorry, but PERSONALLY I can't enjoy Pokemon if it's overrun with all kinds of rules and guidelines. You shouldn't see my movesets. They're like anime ones, like garbage... but the point is I have fun playing the games. I don't need to be the best. I only need to have fun.

And... you can close my fanfic if it gets out of control, but I'll just repost it on Bulbapedia, FanFiction.net, or deviantART. I want to post it on Smogon, but if I do I'll get banned immediately.

*brb watering my Sunflora with Fresh Water and taking my Pidgeot to the Violet City gym*
Not sure if you got the point. The Somgon community focuses one part of the Pokeuniverse (pokemon battling human vs. human) and does it very well. The Serebii community is obviously a lot more general-purpose.

Smogon doesn't do fanfics etc. by choice. There's nothing that says you need to agree with a community's mission or join it, but understanding others does the world some good. And there's nothing that says every Smogon person hates the Pokemon franchise (Anime etc.) or has no love for less than useful pokemon.

Competitive battling doesn't have that many rules. It's the strategies that are probably confusing you.

You're a Smogonite, eh?

uhh, no lol. I haven't had a permanent account at Smogon in over 4 years.

But since you're a mod, I can't insult you or I'll get banned with a snap of fingers... -_-

I would never infract someone for speaking their mind. If you try to make a scene in public, yeah I'll infract you. If you want to send a PM, I don't care. Go right ahead.

My first impulse was to insult, flame, yell, scream, ramble, etc. But then again, I can't do that...

Nope, not unless its through PM.

You have fun your way, and we will have fun our way (our way of having fun is, in fact, getting pissed off at critical hits and misses.. THAT IS OUR FUN).

And... you can close my fanfic if it gets out of control, but I'll just repost it on Bulbapedia, FanFiction.net, or deviantART.

I don't care lol. I'm not even a fanfic mod, I can't close it.

I want to post it on Smogon, but if I do I'll get banned immediately.

I doubt it. Probably infracted for trolling but not banned outright.

*brb watering my Sunflora with Fresh Water and taking my Pidgeot to the Violet City gym*

And you're free to do that, just as I am free to take my battle hardened team to various championships and do my best to win. Enjoy the game in your own way but don't judge others for playing the way they like.

Zachmac

I usually have one pokemon I like on my team, but I'm actually a fan of a lot of pretty good pokemon. Gyrados, Genesect, Salamence, ect.

It depends on what mood I'm in: Trolling with parafusion/flinches, Raising my rank on the latter, or using my favorite pokemon.

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
Definitely favorites, It made me mad back in forth Gen when ppl were spamming Garchomp, I actually just liked him but everyone had one so I stopped using it and eventually it got banned all together

But I cant help but love Zoroark, Screw great Sp Atk and SpD its just Fun

ninetails012

teh wild card
well, i used to just use my favorites and not really know what to do in competitive battleing, so i discoverd smogen and i looked at some of my favorites and was dissapointed.
untill i found ninetales tier that is :D :

ashsinnoh

Yup, i do. Firstly, because i like them, and though there are better alternatives, they can still get their job done. It's not like i'm going to put the pokes i like in team (e.g random liked pokes: Sceptile, Staraptor, Leafeon, Bisharp, Lilligant, Krookodile) and win and win at least once in OU, but i can make some balance in team even with weaker pokes i like. Let's just say my monobug team: I use a Galvantula with HP [GROUND] to counter things like Heatran. It's lot like set in Smogon with other moves, it's moveset so he could do what he needs in team. Making team with your favorites is harder than using OU pokes, but it is deffinately funnier.
Secondly, I'm tired of seeing all the same pokes in every team. There are like 200+- pokes to choose and you always see like 20 the same. I may not win as much as those regular OU teams, but i'm always happy when my Crustle sweeps half of theam, or just say Lilligant killing Salamence. I play Pokémon for fun, and using something that is not the 20 pokes that every team has, is interesting and funny to me. So using something different lets me to color the daily routine. I totally respect what others think, but if you don't like my opinion, deal with it, we are all different, anyway ^^

Casty

My newest mission of the week is to build an OU team where Swampert isn't outclassed. I'm not winning much, but hey, revenging random stuff with ScarfPert is always fun :p

(gosh, I sure haven't played smogon OU in a while... WHERE ARE MAH OHKO MOVES?)

Haru Glory

Rave Master
Not always. If I have to play with Charizard, I'm dead. LOL

ParaChomp

be your own guru
UU / NU / RU / LC / whatever are just alternative playstyles for people who don't want to play standard. The same thing as "pika cup" in Pokemon Stadium. The tiers are broken up based off OU stats but that really doesn't matter.
That was so much fun! Oh, the good old days. Yeah, the two are similar, different tiers have different paces, it's all preference.

Sorry, Pidgeot is garbage. Its so inferior to Staraptor, Swellow and Braviary its crazy. I LIKE Pidgeot, but that doesn't make it good. If you want to use it you can but don't cry when other people call it bad.
That's why I'm saying that next generation, all competitively crummy Pokemon should get evolutions, then everyone will be happy bar those who despise the designs.

Imagine if Shuckle got an evolution. With Eviolite, it would have around 700 in each defence with a neutral nature, no IVs, and no EVs.

My newest mission of the week is to build an OU team where Swampert isn't outclassed. I'm not winning much, but hey, revenging random stuff with ScarfPert is always fun :p

(gosh, I sure haven't played smogon OU in a while... WHERE ARE MAH OHKO MOVES?)

Sub punch is ok. Sub / F punch / Ice Punch / Hydro Pump is decent at breaking walls down. Unexpected too.

Walled to death by Jellicent I guess.

Aegon

That's why I'm saying that next generation, all competitively crummy Pokemon should get evolutions, then everyone will be happy bar those who despise the designs.

Imagine if Shuckle got an evolution. With Eviolite, it would have around 700 in each defence with a neutral nature, no IVs, and no EVs.
Do you really think that Pidgeot, a regional bird from the first generation, will get an evolution in Gen VI? Is it plausible that Shuckle will get an evolution so that it can abuse the Eviolite? Not at all.

Witchan

Shauntal, FTW!
I usually play with any of my favorite Pokemon, regarding the situation of a battle (even if it's tough). Some notable examples such as Sandslash and RegIce.

Eviolite wouldn't even be that great on Shuckle. He's still SR weak, still vulnerable to setup, lacks recovery, ZERO ability to damage things besides Toxic, Trick weak, Sub weak.. and all Eviolite does is remove Leftovers and make him last maybe two extra turns.

After hes still 2HKOed by CB Haxorus Outrage, +1 Mence Outrage, +2 anything with decent attack while doing absolutely nothing in return.

Eviolite would probably make him better but I'm sure its evolution would probably have some advantage that would warrant Leftovers (maybe the evolution would have.. gasp.. 40 base attack!)

Edit: Oh lol. 252 HP Eviolite Shuckle in the sand takes 29.9% - 35.7% from Specs Latios Draco Meteor.

orangezilla

Who's dar man
I wouldn't even consider making a team if it didn't include a couple of my favourites.

Latias_

Passive voice
Favouritism shouldn't even apply to competitive Pokémon thought and decision-making. That's like attempting to build a tower taller than Burj Khalifa but not putting any elevators in it because you don't like elevators. Or building a ship that is beautiful and comfortable inside but in such a shape and form that it will never float in water. Competitive Pokémon is serious strategic thinking and irrelevant elements such as favouritism should never apply.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Do you really think that Pidgeot, a regional bird from the first generation, will get an evolution in Gen VI? Is it plausible that Shuckle will get an evolution so that it can abuse the Eviolite? Not at all.
No to both but we can dream.

Eviolite wouldn't even be that great on Shuckle. He's still SR weak, still vulnerable to setup, lacks recovery, ZERO ability to damage things besides Toxic, Trick weak, Sub weak.. and all Eviolite does is remove Leftovers and make him last maybe two extra turns.

After hes still 2HKOed by CB Haxorus Outrage, +1 Mence Outrage, +2 anything with decent attack while doing absolutely nothing in return.

Eviolite would probably make him better but I'm sure its evolution would probably have some advantage that would warrant Leftovers (maybe the evolution would have.. gasp.. 40 base attack!)

Edit: Oh lol. 252 HP Eviolite Shuckle in the sand takes 29.9% - 35.7% from Specs Latios Draco Meteor.
Still my favourite Pokemon and I've found a couple ways around these weaknesses. *prays for Slack Off*

Zachmac

Favouritism shouldn't even apply to competitive Pokémon thought and decision-making. That's like attempting to build a tower taller than Burj Khalifa but not putting any elevators in it because you don't like elevators. Or building a ship that is beautiful and comfortable inside but in such a shape and form that it will never float in water. Competitive Pokémon is serious strategic thinking and irrelevant elements such as favouritism should never apply.
Okay, I'm not going to make my team Absol/Rampardos/Aercheops/Charmeleon/haunter just because I like them.

You don't have to use completely favorites in order to use favorites.

Also, using your brain, you can come up with sets for all sorts of pokemon. I've been playing with a bellosom troll(even though I'm not a bellosom fan...), and once it sets up, it's nearly impossible to stop.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Okay, I'm not going to make my team Absol/Rampardos/Aercheops/Charmeleon/haunter just because I like them.

You don't have to use completely favorites in order to use favorites.
Yeah, my second favourite Pokemon is Mewtwo.

orangezilla

Who's dar man

not using favourites is like someone saying build a building and you just building it like every other building, because you can and its not risky. obviously a team of your six favourites is unlikely to work, but making a team around favourites can make great teams that are less predictable than a vast majority of the metagame and improve team building skills. But what some people also forget it, it's funner that way