• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Playing With Your Favorites

Do you play with your favorites?

• Total voters

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
If they happen to be cute then great, if not then it doesn't matter.

My reasoning with a Steelix :D *Is Kidding*

I notice how people say Smogon bases Pokemon off of usage... If that's true, why are some crap in the lower tiers being used in OU teams? Pratically every other team I see has a Gastrodon or a Quagsire, but they're still NU/RU. Cue confusion.

Anyways... If the favorites are usable if supported, then heck with it. My suggestion to any competitive battler, however, is when using Favorites, don't just slap them around :/ Be at least a decent player before trying funky things... Like Slaking or Regirock, for example. My Posted Threads if you be interested~

windsong

WEST SIDE
My reasoning with a Steelix :D *Is Kidding*

I notice how people say Smogon bases Pokemon off of usage... If that's true, why are some crap in the lower tiers being used in OU teams? Pratically every other team I see has a Gastrodon or a Quagsire, but they're still NU/RU. Cue confusion.

Anyways... If the favorites are usable if supported, then heck with it. My suggestion to any competitive battler, however, is when using Favorites, don't just slap them around :/ Be at least a decent player before trying funky things... Like Slaking or Regirock, for example. My Posted Threads if you be interested~

@bolded: 1. tiers ARE based off of usage -- Gastrodon and Quagsire only started reaching popularity these past few months, and fell just short of the OU cutoff in August. In addition, tiers are changed based off of usage every three months, not every time the stats come out, so if those mons are consistently in the OU range for long enough, they'll be OU.

@bolded: 2. Slaking is bad don't use it

Red Charizard

Current Love: Sinnoh
I absolutely love playing with my favorites!
I use members of the Charmander line often, I don't mind losing oh so badly if it's with a Pokemon I have fun using! C:

ParaChomp

be your own guru
@bolded: 2. Slaking is bad don't use it unless it has Pursuit and your using it alongside a Cofagrius with Mean Look or an Escape Button
Fixed it for you.

windsong

WEST SIDE
Fixed it for you.

No that's still the stupidest **** ever. Stupider than Energy Ball Jellicent. And that made Somalia quit pokes for god's sake. Seriously.

It's seriously not worth it. I mean, it looks cool in principal, but if you're bothering with something like that, it's just not worth it, when you may as well use something that's much more likely to sweep than Slaking or something that reaches a higher attack stat / spa stat without requiring a ridiculously elaborate setup (Salamence, Dragonite, Lucario, Haxorus, Volcarona, Excadrill, Landorus, Terrakion...basically anything).

Rhys29

Encore
Slaking works just fine as a revenge killer and that's all he should be to any tier above NU (and even in NU it's probably the best thing he can do).​

Why use Slaking as a revenge killer. Just use Haxorus, who has 3 less base speed and a ton more attack (higher base power STAB moves + Rivalry.. comes out to around 36 more base attack) but it can actually stay in and sweep.

Arceus94

Why use Slaking as a revenge killer. Just use Haxorus, who has 3 less base speed and a ton more attack (higher base power STAB moves + Rivalry.. comes out to around 36 more base attack) but it can actually stay in and sweep.

Or more important: What IS a Revenge Killer? >>

Something not really bulky enough to switch in, but fast and strong enough to come in after something faints and "revenge kill" whatever fainted your poke.

Arceus94

Ooh. Then I would call Weavile that :/
Thank you wery much n_n

Victory

Banned
I usually use my favorites, which happen to be pretty good Pokemon, well most of them ;)

Rhys29

Encore
It's more 'if you're going to use Slaking, use him for this'. Haxorus doesn't have a priority attack (even if it isn't STAB), Pursuit, or the bulk Slaking offers. And those 3 Speed points allow a tie with all base 100's, so it can atleast it can attempt to threaten those Pokemon. Though it is true Slaking can only stay in to hit once and then it needs to run 90% of the time. It's not the worst revenge killer but it's certainly not the best.​

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Never use Rivalry on Haxorus. Also, Slaking has bulk and huge Substitutes (and its base 100 speed helps too). Also the reason to use Slaking is the fact that it has stats comparable to Groudon.

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
^They kinda rival Groudon, 50 more base HP, 10 more base Attack, 10 more Base Speed, and only minor let downs(Largest being 140 Base Defense of Groudon, but pretty remedied by the HP of Slaking), but Truant is ugly to be seeing.

But why would you run Sub on Slaking if not in Doubles? It's likely to get broken on the Truant turn anyway, the HP doesn't matter much. Plus, people typically stay in on Slaking, whether or not you can attack the turn, because they don't know what it can do. Besides all these Pros, he has the second-worse ability in the game; Regigigas gets that.

So, uh, yeah.

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
^H4X Meloetta alert.

Sorry, just wanted to blurt that out...

Cuddlebuns

I never battle seriously, so I use Pokemon I like over Pokes that are good all the time. Fortunately I like a lot of Pokes, unfortunately many of the ones I like are really crappy (I'm talking Farfetch'd crappy). I still play OU with them knowing that I'll lose, and my win rate is like 10-20% because of that. But those few wins are worth it, simply because people tend to make dumb plays against Pokemon that they don't know much about. I always get some laughs out of the surprise factor, so it's worth it.

Even though I lose most of the time, I rarely ever get completely dominated. Most of my losses end in 1-0 or 2-0, so I think I do fairly well. Plus my win rate with OU and UU teams is probably 50-60%, which I think is average. So losing a lot doesn't bother me because I know I'm not really that horrible.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
But why would you run Sub on Slaking if not in Doubles? It's likely to get broken on the Truant turn anyway, the HP doesn't matter much. Plus, people typically stay in on Slaking, whether or not you can attack the turn, because they don't know what it can do. Besides all these Pros, he has the second-worse ability in the game; Regigigas gets that.
Nah, Slaking would be a lot better with Slow Start. What does Substitute do? Watch this video (the player might have sent out Slaking on the foe's Cofagrigus but it's still totally possible with your own).