• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Playing With Your Favorites

Do you play with your favorites?

• Total voters

Yumi123

I'm working on a competitive team with my favorites as of now so when I feel I'm finally ready for competitive play, I'll do so.

My number one favorite will always be Arcanine. I'm trying to make one like this:

Nature: Jolly
~Morning Sun
~Extreme Speed
~Flare Blitz
~Thunder Fang

Heavenly Mikaru

EX and WHY are hot!
My Favorite pokemon are pretty much anything
but sometimes the common pokemon annoys me though...

I win using a Audino, Togetic, and a Tropius
but Yeah they just have to work harder >.>

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I sometimes do. Most of the time I use Pokemon that actually become my favourites.

KiraRebornXD

Why wouldn't you play with favorites? I do it cuz it's fun and i do because it's fun and it beats watching the anime and hope you see a favorite right.

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
I always try to fit favorites onto my team, like darmanitan. I mix my favorites with pokemons that i like that complement them. I never use pokemon i don't like. Unfortunately, that includes ferrothorn, salemence, garchomp, haxorus, half the ou tier...... I also try to think up more creative movesets that surprise opponents, like my Stockpile gastrodon. he beasts. I also liek gimmicks, such as CB Shadow Sneak Banette.

I'm not sure if I classify as Yes in the poll but that's how I voted.

I actually like using some really powerful Pokemon like Salamence but I also like using Armaldo, Milotic, Altaria and Sceptile. Some of these I'm sure would be great in competitive play but others maybe not so much.

I favor dragon type Pokemon or ones that closely resemble them and in some cases that can work in my favor but that also leaves most of my teams very weak to ice types but I tend to build in movesets to make up for it.

I doubt I'd ever get too far competitively because I prefer and enjoy a specific style of battling that I get a feeling isn't viable competitively and because I'd rather use my favorites and do my best with them playing my way than doing everything possible to try to be number one.

Not closed minded, just different values. :)

First of all, everything I say now is based on 3th and 4th competitive. I know this is 5th generation forum, but I still think my opinion fits in this thread.

I have always used my favourite Pokemon, Milotic. I have been bullied, flamed and trolled many times, but I have never even considered not using Milotic. The good thing is, that I win most battles I play.

When playing competitively (and uncompetitively), I always use Milotic. However, if I use other Pokemon I like, they are replacable if it makes my team better. But if I really hate a certain Pokemon, I only use it when there is no acceptable alternative. But Milotic is on every team I have ever used.

I am lucky that Milotic is no Farfetch'd or Pachirisu. Milotic might be outclassed, but is perfectly usuable in OU.

I have used both Milotic and Vaporeon on one team once, and that worked out fine. So instead of replacing favourites, you could also sometimes use a favourite and the Pokemon outclassing it together on one team.

I know competitive battling is not about favourites, but it is my choice to use Milotic and I want to play how I like to. And if I get high on leaderboards and win often, why not? And if that makes me "semi-competitive" or "uncompetitive", people are allowed to say so. Sure, competitive is about playing to win, but I play competitive because I like to. And I only like playing with Milotic.

I like this thread, it is interesting to see other opinions than mine. And I support everyone to use their favourite Pokemon.

Fabolous

Banned
I love to make gimmicky teams when I can, I love to use things like Liepard and a Zangoose lol. I usually lose when I use my favorites but if I'm laddering or something,I usually go for overpowered pokemon

First of all, everything I say now is based on 3th and 4th competitive. I know this is 5th generation forum, but I still think my opinion fits in this thread.

I have always used my favourite Pokemon, Milotic. I have been bullied, flamed and trolled many times, but I have never even considered not using Milotic. The good thing is, that I win most battles I play.

When playing competitively (and uncompetitively), I always use Milotic. However, if I use other Pokemon I like, they are replacable if it makes my team better. But if I really hate a certain Pokemon, I only use it when there is no acceptable alternative. But Milotic is on every team I have ever used.

I am lucky that Milotic is no Farfetch'd or Pachirisu. Milotic might be outclassed, but is perfectly usuable in OU.

I have used both Milotic and Vaporeon on one team once, and that worked out fine. So instead of replacing favourites, you could also sometimes use a favourite and the Pokemon outclassing it together on one team.

I know competitive battling is not about favourites, but it is my choice to use Milotic and I want to play how I like to. And if I get high on leaderboards and win often, why not? And if that makes me "semi-competitive" or "uncompetitive", people are allowed to say so. Sure, competitive is about playing to win, but I play competitive because I like to. And I only like playing with Milotic.

I like this thread, it is interesting to see other opinions than mine. And I support everyone to use their favourite Pokemon.

5th on Shoddy UU isn't exactly something to brag about, especially using one of the tiers best pokemon as your so-called crutch.

5th on Shoddy UU isn't exactly something to brag about, especially using one of the tiers best pokemon as your so-called crutch.

OK, but I am not talking about just UU. I use Milotic in OU too, and some of my better teams got on nice spots on the Smogon Shoddy Server. I am not bragging and I am just trying to say that using favourites does not mean that you can't win. I have won a lot of battles with Milotic and had some very nice teams, all containing milotic.

Milotic is one of the best 4th gen UU Pokemon, but not a top-tier OU. But it works nicely in OU.

I am not using Milotic to give myself a challenge. I am not using Milotic to be original. I use Milotic purely because it is my favourite Pokemon.

OK, but I am not talking about just UU. I use Milotic in OU too, and some of my better teams got on nice spots on the Smogon Shoddy Server. I am not bragging and I am just trying to say that using favourites does not mean that you can't win. I have won a lot of battles with Milotic and had some very nice teams, all containing milotic.

Milotic is one of the best 4th gen UU Pokemon, but not a top-tier OU. But it works nicely in OU.

I am not using Milotic to give myself a challenge. I am not using Milotic to be original. I use Milotic purely because it is my favourite Pokemon.

If you believe that using Milotic in gen 4 OU is hard you don't know the metagame. I don't think you realize that ladder doesn't mean anything because you can get number 1 just battling people with below 1000 CRE.

If you believe that using Milotic in gen 4 OU is hard you don't know the metagame. I don't think you realize that ladder doesn't mean anything because you can get number 1 just battling people with below 1000 CRE.

I never said using Milotic in 4th gen OU is hard. I said Milotic might not be top-tier OU, but is still usuable in OU. It seems like you agree with that. And I definitely do know the metagame, I started competitive battling before 4th gen even existed.

And aside from just the ladder rank, I also look at what opponents I beat. If I defeated some people who are really good, I feel more proud than when I beat less good opponents. I realize the ladder ranking doesn't say everything. But I am no longer on the Smogon ladder, I play my battles on Pokemonexperte now.

I never said using Milotic in 4th gen OU is hard. I said Milotic might not be top-tier OU, but is still usuable in OU. It seems like you agree with that. And I definitely do know the metagame, I started competitive battling before 4th gen even existed.

And aside from just the ladder rank, I also look at what opponents I beat. If I defeated some people who are really good, I feel more proud than when I beat less good opponents. I realize the ladder ranking doesn't say everything. But I am no longer on the Smogon ladder, I play my battles on Pokemonexperte now.

So playing on a bad server on a bad battle simulator helps your cause how? If you knew anything about gen 4 OU you would know that plenty of good battlers use Milotic.

LetsGoJeto

I pwn weather teams
I simply adore my team of vaporoen, espeon, dragonite, lopunny, houndoom and inferape. I know them as well as I know the OU tier. I may play five people on smogon and loss once or twice in that day.

I battle competitively. Although I have no interest in joining a serious contest, I still love battling and using my favorites regardless. I'm just not fond of a lot of OU pokemon. They're ugly and simply not my style. I like my team as random as possible. It needs no theme for victory because I know what I'm doing.

LightingKimba

Listenin' t'Dragons!
I agree with the opening post very much so - Being limited down to favorites can be a challenge in itself to play, but that challenge is what gets me to play more often. Some mon, I don't like aesthetically, so I try to use mons I like to stop threats in my way. It's a tad juvenile to do, and yet at the same time, I feel that the more effort I put into a victory, the better I feel for it. Simple enough.

Suicune3000

Water Lord
I tend not to choose pokemon that I like, but rather avoiding pokemon I dislike. Examples of good pokemon that I dislike using are Ferrothorn, Snorlax, Salamence, Dragonite, Sigilyph, Celebi. There are plenty of others.

I don't pick for their looks, but rather how they operate. I have never liked Dragon/Flying hybrids as everyone carries Ice. Sigilyph and Snorlax I have used sets that are tried and tested, but they never seem to work for me. Same applies to Ferrothorn (which is due to the fact I don't run Stall or Semi-Stall)

I focus on pokemon that I like to use but still gel as a team. My current team is Infernape/Scizor/Starmie/Togekiss/Heatran/Breloom.

Scizor, Breloom and Starmie are the offensive core with a utility each. Starmie spins, Breloom spores and Scizor scouts with U-turn and uses Pursuit.

Togekiss provides Heal Bell support for situations like Burned Scizor, Paralysed Heatran etc. It also provides Para support, however I'm not sure about it so much now and thinking of making it more offensive.

Infernape sets up rocks as lead, standard enough. I may replace with Thundurus soon.

Heatran was originally put in to take Fire aimed at Scizor and occasionally Breloom. However, it is not operating well so I'm considering swapping it (It runs the Flame Charge set).

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
Someone earlier said that after a while using certain Pokemon well grows on you, and I'd like to add that to my statement of using my favorites. I actually got an Extremespeed Zigzagoon (credit to Blue Harvest), and now Linoone is one of my favorite Pokemon to use. Choice Band Torterra was an option I was considering (giving it enough speed EVs to outpace standard Jellicent and wreck it with Wood Hammer), and then out of nowhere he became totally Awesome and a solid choice on any of my Teams. That being said, I use good Pokemon, AND I try to use favorites competitively.

Generic User Name

I'm using my two favorites in my latest team.

Dunsparce
-Rock Slide
-Zen Headbutt
-Body Slam
-Earthquake

Stunkfish
-Earth Power
-Discharge
-Yawn
-Scald