• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Please help me with my first competitive team

Hi I am new at competitive battling and can use all the help I can get.
Here is my team:

Venusaur @ ?
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Sp. Att. 252 H.P, 6 Sp.Def
Modest
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis
- Energy Ball
- Sludge Bomb

Nidoqueen @ ?
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 Speed. 252 Sp. Att., 6 H.P
Hasty
- Shadow Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Aerial Ace

Arcanine @ ?
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Speed. 252 Sp. Att., 6 H.P
Modest
- Will-o-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- HP Grass/Water
- Iron Tail

Lapras @ ?
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 H.P. 252 Sp. Att., 6 Speed
Modest
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Refresh
- Waterfall

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Sp.Defence. 252 H.P, 6 Sp. Attack
Gentle
- Rest
- Snore
- Earthquake
- Psychic

Dragonite @ ?
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Speed. 252 Attack, 6 Sp. Defence
Adament
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage/ Dragon Claw
- BrickBreak
- Rockslide

Well there is my team, I am still trying to figure out natures and handheld items so if you can help with that I really appreciate it! :)

gradevoirs_leader

Salamance is god.
Personly I found that lapras dies way to fast to be considered for anything it belongs in BL/UU were it is fairly placed. Watch out for heracross you are SERIOUSLY weak to the big critter and will tear your team apart at the seems if he gets the chance. I think the majority of the team will run leftovers. Aracnine gets life orb(be careful a team with no spinner and life orb dont go well). Dragonite gets that berry that makes ice attacks weaker with adamant nature.

Last edited:

bob_starnock

A few pointers about pokemon that i've used before:

Venusaur - I'd strongly consider leech seed over synthesis, it gives more long-run and isn't affected by sand stream. also you can switch the healing onto others. probably attach leftovers/black sludge.

Snorlax - snore is a pretty weak move, try replacing with sleep talk, and maybe a second physical move like crunch or body slam over psychic as his physical attack is much higher than his special. If you feel you need psychic somewhere give it to lapras or someone.

Hope that helps a bit

Thanks for your help! Is there anything else that I should change movesetwise? gradevoirs leader what do you suggest as a replacement for Lapras

Go to smogon.com. In the search bar at the top, type in Venasaur. Listed on the page will be movesets for it. Repeat with your other pokemon.

Quite a few of you pokemon are UU/BL. Try looking at their tiers list in the OU list, and pick some good pokemon out of that. I'm not saying that you should get rid of all of the weaker pokemon on your team - if you really like them, keep them. You should just look into stronger options.

You should also check to make sure that the moves that you are using on your pokemon aren't conflicting with the other attacks in the set. For example, your Arcanine is running Iron Tail (by the way, a sh*t poor move) when the rest of its attacks are special based. Same thing with Nidoqueen. Pick either physical or special, and stick with it, unless you are using a real mixed sweeper like MixMence or Mixape.

I wouldn't run Psychic or Sludge Bomb on any of your pokemon, as they have poor type coverage.

My last comment is that you should look in to mixing up your EV spreads up more. 252/252/4 is not always the way to go, and most always walls will have more of a diverse spread.

I hope that I helped you instead of deterring you from competetive battling. All the best of luck.

Don't worry you didn't make me want to quit competitive battling, I am just learning that is all. On my team I just wanted to do something unpredictable because alot of people use the movesets on Smogon. But I will look on Smogon and see what I can come up with. Thanks!!